• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nostalgia or Newer Stuff?

Nostalgia or the New Stuff?

• Nostalgia

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Newer Stuff

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I Like Both

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • I Really Don't Care, I Just Play Pokemon in General

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

H.Vega

Johto Wanderer...
Years
I've been thinking, and it's not like I prefer one or the other, but I'd like to see what you guys think. Do you like the nostalgic pokemon, like in your childhood, or the newer stuff, and would you like seeing nostalgic references/features in X/Y or any future pokemon game?

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Both, actually. The Nostalgic stuff is really special to me and reminds me of how great of a childhood I've had. The newer stuff, in some aspects, have served to exponentially improve on what we all know and love and I'm real appreciative of that fact.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I like both....but I prefer new stuff.

I've been playing these games since Pokemon Yellow (and after I played Pokemon Red/Blue) but I would rather go forward with the series and occasionally look back.

All the nostalgia in the world can't convince me that the original pokemon games are better than being able to trade a pokemon with anyone in the world over wifi, having more detailed storylines and characters, having more to do after beating the elite four, having a wider variety of pokemon etc.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I like both.

The old games and anime have a ton of nostalgia for me because I grew up with up. But also I really like a lot of the newer pokemon and games. I just love pokemon in general. :D

BUT Raichu will always be my favorite pokemon <3

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I like both new and nostalgic stuff, but I think the new stuff are a bit better imo . I got into Pokemon through the gen I games so the old nostalgic stuff really brings back memories. But there is lots of problems and glitches with the older games and after a while the first games do get boring. I still love them anyways, they bring back so much good times of me first getting into Pokemon. I used to hate the newer gen IV and V Pokemon and was that type of person who only appreciated the older games. But as I began to play the games and I started to appreciate the games and the new Pokemon just grew on me. Now I have lots of favorites from the newer games, especially from Gen V. Gen V is now 2nd on my favorite generations list right after Gen III. There's some cool and really designs in Gen V in my opinions, and the gameplay has really improved since the beginning of the series. I just think people need to open their minds a bit more and appreciate something in all the games. Cause I can find something good in all of them.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Although I prefer the newer stuff (Unova fan myself), I do at times find myself watching Pokemon from all the different generations, I love all the generations equally. I mentioned it before in other topics, I have been watching Pokemon since it started in the USA around 1998. I have not missed out on any generation at least for the Anime, since I didn't play the games until 2004.

I love the newer stuff (most of my favorite Pokemon and anime episodes are from Unova), and still love looking back at the old stuff too...

so my vote goes to "I like both", loving all equally.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I like both types of games. It's mostly depending on my mood. If i'd like to play older Pokemon games, I play them, in most parts because of their simplicity in technics (and glitches xD) and graphics. If I'd like to play newer games, it's mostly because they have a more wide variaty of Pokemon, advanced technics (natures of Pokemon, elements split by attack and special attack,...) and stuff.

H.Vega

Johto Wanderer...
Years
nostalgia |näˈstaljə; nə-|
noun
a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations : I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college.
• the evocation of these feelings or tendencies, esp. in commercialized form : an evening of TV nostalgia.

I think I have a pretty good idea. I would like this thread to stay on track, please.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
But older Pokemon aren't Nostalgic to everybody. Heck, to some people they don't have any nostalgic Pokemon because they're still kids.

Also, what generation does nostalgic go under? Because for me third generation is nostalgic but to a lot of other people it's not.

And it's not really a matter of which you like better older or newer because they're were a good deal of old things I liked and disliked, same goes for the new things.

When you simplify something this much and use a word which could be applied to different Pokemon for each different person, you can't ever get a clear idea of what individual's taste are or the general consensus is.

H.Vega

Johto Wanderer...
Years
But older Pokemon aren't Nostalgic to everybody. Heck, to some people they don't have any nostalgic Pokemon because they're still kids.

Also, what generation does nostalgic go under? Because for me third generation is nostalgic but to a lot of other people it's not.

And it's not really a matter of which you like better older or newer because they're were a good deal of old things I liked and disliked, same goes for the new things.

When you simplify something this much and use a word which could be applied to different Pokemon for each different person, you can't ever get a clear idea of what individual's taste are or the general consensus is.

The word itself can mean a variety of things, depending on the reader. Honestly, I just wanted to get some opinions without getting my head bitten off. Is that really too much to ask?

Your's, my, and the other guy's definition are all different. I just wanted to hear some people out. Besides, newer fans don't have nostalgia because they haven't played enough. Anything gen III and below is typically nostalgia.

You may not know, but this is a touchy subject in the fandom. I REALLY don't want this to become a genwar. Do you want that?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I go for the newer stuff mainly to keep up with the franchise as a whole, but I go back to the past mainly because of the music.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
I'm going be special and choose the nostalgic Pokemon. My favorite Gen was 3rd and I still replay Emerald and LeafGreen quite often. SoulSilver was the last Pokemon game I rushed out to the midnight release to get. When I played Pearl I just didn't get the same enjoyment that I did when I play through the older Gens and I never had, and still don't have, the urge to play 5th Gen at all much to the rage of other Pokemon fans around me.

I like the older Gens better mainly because of their simplicity and that they weren't over packed with Pokemon. Yes there are things I like about every Gen but Gen 3 will always be my favorite.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I like both Nostalgic and newer games, even though my favorite game is a third gen game all the game have their good and bad points in them. I like both because their stories/pokemon in them. The reason I go back to old games is because I want to play the story again.

so yeah both for me please.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
I like both, I lean towards nostalgia a bit more since I started playing at R/G/B/Y where it all began but I'm interested to see what X & Y will be like.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I used to like the newer stuff growing up but now I prefer nostalgia a lot more since the older games simply feel more refined and creative imho.

Nottingham

We are on the cruise!
Years
I also like both a lot! If I had to pick one, I guess I'd go with the newer games since there's a lot more stuff to do post-game.
That, and they don't rely on internal clocks.
It was a sad, hollow day when I replayed my Sapphire to find that my berry farms could no longer be tended to...

Back