• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Here is the completely finished title screen! This was a lot of hard work and I'm very pleased with it! I hope you like it!!

Prototype Title Screen - "Who's That Pokémon?"

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey guys! I updated the title screen again and now it randomly cycles through all 151 Pokémon! Instead of choosing between only 16 like it normally does. I updated the links in the previous post and in the first post to show you the new video!
I think this has certainly become the most complex and creative gen I title screen hack!
What do you guys think??

Raj

Pokemon Master
Years
Looks great though I admit I am surprised at how much effort you are putting into the title screen alone. While nice try not to burn yourself out we want to play the finished game after all.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Yeah, I certainly acknowledge I have that problem.. But the title screen is all done now, I promise! I am moving on!

The one up side to my habit of spending too long on a specific feature is that I think the end result is gonna be fantastic!

Raj

Pokemon Master
Years
I can easily agree with you there and I have no doubt that by the time you finish this game it will be truly fantastic.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I can easily agree with you there and I have no doubt that by the time you finish this game it will be truly fantastic.
Mhm! Thanks for your support!
This game looks great all the way around. LOL I know what I will be playing. Ay idea when this will come out?
Hey, thanks a lot!
Now I don't want to put a target on my back or anything if this turns out to be wrong, but I really want a first beta of two gyms to be out by the end of the summer. No promises.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thanks a lot!! :)
And the reason is that there isn't as much documentation on the older games and making a good hack is harder. They're also 'old' and not so fancy like the new games. Honestly, I don't like the busy, fanciness of the new games. It's too much for me.

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
So Gen 1 games are easier to make cause ive been thinking about making my own hack.
I think that difficulty is a wrong word for thinking about, "Is hacking Gen I easier than gen II or possibly gen III ?". It's like this;

There aren't any game-specific tools for hacking gen I or gen II that would give you keys to do anything you'd like. You always need the background knowledge of what you're doing.
Gen I is "the most difficult" since almost everything is accomplished with hex editors, assemblers and disassembly. In gen II, there's a scripting engine but making use of it requires a lot of background knowledge about Gameboy and how it works. Gen III is coded so that you're able to do a lot of stuff without knowing anything about the games and how they're coded.

So if you wanted to do a simple hack, a gen III game would be the most simple option. If you wanted to go for something bigger and knew what you were doing all along, it wouldn't matter much if you want to hack gen I, II or III.

ZakTheManaic

Zak The Awesome Maniac
Years
Ya I meant to say ARE gen 1 games easier lol, my mistake. But thanks guys ill prob make a gen 3 hack first. And again good luck with Pokémon Prototype.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Yeah, I think the way miksy put it is pretty good. Hacking a gen I game is more tedious, time consuming and less intuitive, which may be seen as synonymous to "harder".

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
No, at this point, there is no way to estimate how long til the entire game is finished.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Now I don't want to put a target on my back or anything if this turns out to be wrong, but I really want a first beta of two gyms to be out by the end of the summer. No promises.
It is worth mentioning that I only want to release a single demo for my hack, and then the full game. I don't like the idea of having a million different betas floating around.

Also, I added my own custom devamp of the FRLG Cueball sprite!
ankLLkC.png

What do you think?

Last edited:
Back