• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Sword and Shield - Why aren't the new animations in battles?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
This proposal is about an old article I did elsewhere last year, which can be adapted for the current discussions on Sword and Shield.

The gist then was pointing out how animations in battles for LGPE appeared to be the same as in XY (double kick, etc.). This also included comparison with older generation games and how animations had been better (from Stadium to Colo/XD/PBR).

What would change is not just pointing out we see the same animations again for the next gen games, but also musing where the supposed new work in animations has gone into (new feature?), maybe some brief discussion on dynamax, and I suppose more focus on that, imo, battles deserve more attention.

Open to suggestions, including on the title. (Just needed something for the thread, tbh).

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I think a comparison between main-series and side-series battle animations is very much appropriate at this time. The contrast between them and Masuda's words could make for a very fascinating read. I think it would be interesting to also include information on actual animation data--they hardly take up much space at all in the files--and what they entail (skeleton/mesh rather than the model itself). Could potentially be a neat informative article in addition to commentary on the state of main-series battle animations.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think a comparison between main-series and side-series battle animations is very much appropriate at this time. The contrast between them and Masuda's words could make for a very fascinating read. I think it would be interesting to also include information on actual animation data--they hardly take up much space at all in the files--and what they entail (skeleton/mesh rather than the model itself). Could potentially be a neat informative article in addition to commentary on the state of main-series battle animations.
I was going to say I don't know much about modelling and etc, only I happened on a good video today by someone with modelling experience talking about this sort of thing. :V So I'll be referencing that.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Part of me doesn't want to stoke the flames of SnS hate any further than they have to be. If you can word it constructively as opposed to it being raw criticism this is a fine idea but I'm still worried.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Part of me doesn't want to stoke the flames of SnS hate any further than they have to be. If you can word it constructively as opposed to it being raw criticism this is a fine idea but I'm still worried.
I'll be talking about the newer animations they had added too (gasp!). They're not really significant (or as much as I'd like), but they are there. And also Amie/Refresh animations from previous games, which are pretty great.

Won't be focusing on the dex issue in the article either - as most will mention it for context's sake.

Back