• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

All-Instrument Patch (FireRed, Ruby, Emerald)

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
Well, whoever made this instrument patch was smart enough to put the drum table to an unaligned offset which obviously makes everything fail (the hardware doesn't support unaligned memory reads).
You could probably solve that by moving the drum table from Instr #127 to a 4 byte aligned offset and changing the drum table pointer in the voicegroup accordingly

Sorry to keep bothering you but how would you go about moving the drum table to a 4 byte aligned offset?

I found out how to do it :). THANK YOU SO MUCH

UPDATE:The results. If you are wondering the drums in this song are bongos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
Well, whoever made this instrument patch was smart enough to put the drum table to an unaligned offset which obviously makes everything fail (the hardware doesn't support unaligned memory reads).
You could probably solve that by moving the drum table from Instr #127 to a 4 byte aligned offset and changing the drum table pointer in the voicegroup accordingly

What!? The drum table has to be in an aligned offset!? I didn't know that...God damn it...I'll have to fix that.

I haven't abandoned this. Just been busy with other things which have higher priority for me (School, the DS mugshot hack, my own fledging ROM hack). ipatix, thank you for helping people in here! This is a big enough glitch that I'll get on fixing it right away!

Also, I'll look into those sample libraries you provided, and perhaps create a patch with higher quality instruments. I have a question, though. In the HGSS Music Patch Thread, GoGo mentioned you guys found a way to mass import instruments. Can you possibly provide more information on that? Another big reason for this patch is that it takes an eternity to import instruments using the method provided by GoGo's Sappy tutorial.

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
Well, you mostly need to place everything aligned. Song header (not the track data), voicegroups, samples. Pretty much everything. You should always use aligned offset for whatever you do with music.

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
Sorry, me again. I seem to have another problem :|

The Cymbals in my drum voicegroup are off. In Sappy you hear them perfectly but when in game they sound like a pinging noise. The video below shows what I'm talking about. You could hear it at the beginning and throughout the entire song.

Help Please :(

Last edited by a moderator:

jiangzhengwenjzw

now working on katam
Years
  • Seen yesterday
This patch is really great, but my question is how I can adapt these features to an already started hack?

Karjam

AKA KarjamP
Years
The reason why it sounds alright in Sappy but not in GBA is because Sappy's implementation of the sound engine is flawed.

Aside from songs sounding different in Sappy than within the ROM, the program also tends to crash if a certain music instruction is passed to it (explaining why you can't listen to Petalburg Woods' song within Sappy without it crashing).

While I would have suggested using an alternative right now, I don't know of any other program that allows you to insert custom instruments into a game rom.

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
The reason why it sounds alright in Sappy but not in GBA is because Sappy's implementation of the sound engine is flawed.

Aside from songs sounding different in Sappy than within the ROM, the program also tends to crash if a certain music instruction is passed to it (explaining why you can't listen to Petalburg Woods' song within Sappy without it crashing).

While I would have suggested using an alternative right now, I don't know of any other program that allows you to insert custom instruments into a game rom.

I guess this is something I will have to deal with as an ongoing issue. Sigh :(

Years
I patched the Emerald patch to a clean ROM, then assembled a song with the offset 0x1130C5C, but the music just crashes when I try. Is there anything wrong, or do I need to use a special Emerald ROM? Because New UPS tells me that my clean ROM does not match the patch.

Mystelex

I just had a question... I patched my FireRed hack , but now I just get a white screen ! What's the problem ?
( It's not a clean rom , since it's a hack. )

jiangzhengwenjzw

now working on katam
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah , I wanted to do that , too.

Yeah, as the question has been hanged for months, I have saw it myself. If my memory doesn't go wrong, you can find the space it uses by using hexcmp or other similar tools. I remember that it uses 0x08A00000. (Maybe that's wrong because there has been months)

Mystelex

I tried to look for that offset , but the hex editor said that it doesn't exist in the ROM.
Please help me !

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
Years
Hey guys, I fixed the problems the patch was having with the drum table and cymbals...at least for FireRed.

Here was the original patch

Here it is with the aligned drum table but no cymbals

And here is the fixed patch with aligned drum table and cymbals samples.

Link to the fixed patch (FireRed ONLY): https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnelz7z43jm99a0/All Instrument Patch FireRed (FIXED).ips?dl=0
Do you perchance have the list of all the edited bytes in that patch? I'm quite curious to see all of them.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Do you perchance have the list of all the edited bytes in that patch? I'm quite curious to see all of them.

You can apply the patch to a rom, then do a comparison to see which bytes are changed in a hex editor.

On another note for the patch creator, the drums all seem to be the same length in volume, meaning that cymbals and stuff and things actually don't sound like cymbals, but rather like crashy noise that abruptly ends. (Even though this patch is super outdated and old, I just wanted to say this for people that still read posts before actually downloading stuff in the first post.)

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will not foolhardily patch this directly to my in-progress hack since it places the instrument samples to the same place as where I put Touched's Mega Evolution hack, but I will patch it to a clean ROM then use Sappy's edit voicegroup feature to locate and manually insert the DirectSound samples I need. I've already transplanted a few samples from Fire Emblem and dammit I've been looking for a violin sample. Thanks!

EDIT: Alright, after playing around with this patched to a clean ROM I have come across some issues. When I change some of the square/sawtooth instruments to Wave Memory, what I get instead of what I'm used to hearing are horrid high pitched screeches of death and agony. I've also had this voicegroup cause crashes on songs which play fine on my other custom voicegroups.

Last edited:

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
Years
Is in the Emerald patch any byte changed before 1000000?

After comparing files with HEX I got the change before the 1000000 offset:

In the offset 6B5B28
Original: 44 E5 99
Patch: 9C 1F F0

I guess this is a pointer but I still without know what it means, can I get some help?

By the way that was a nice post, thanks for share and your effort mate.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 8, 2021
I tried using this, but any songs using the voicegroup are totally and completely silent. What did I do wrong? Did I not patch something I needed?

Back