• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favourite and Least Favourite Gen 2 Pokémon

Years
Ok, time to round off my tour of 'favourite Gen _ pokémon' threads.

Typhlosion, easy. Its my favourite pokémon of all 821 (or whatever the number is nowadays) and it has been my favourite ever since I played Gold. Its design to me is sort of effortlessly cool, whereas some pokémon look like they're trying too hard like Greninja & Decidueye (even though I love Decidueye). Typhlosion has the effect on me that Charizard has on a lot of other people.

Other cool Gen II 'mons - Ho-oh, Suicune, Lugia, Scizor, Azumarill, Skarmory, Steelix, Meganium, Crobat, Wobbuffet, Totodile, Murkrow, Kingdra, Noctowl, Espeon, Corsola, Slowking, Quagsire, Marill, Bayleef, Raikou, Entei, Tyranitar and Quilava.

Oh, almost forgot this topic had a least favourite element. I don't dislike many Gen II pokémon, even ones I dismissed when younger as 'forgettable' have grown on me. It's probably a toss-up between Sunflora's derpy face or Stantler's generic blandless combined with an ugly face.

Ida13

Gone For a While
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
I like Houndoom and Houndour, they are my favorite Pokemon. Suicune is my other favorite Pokemon in the 2nd generation. Also Raikou, Entei, Espeon, Umbreon, Skarmory, and Ampharos. Generation two had some very good designs.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
My favorite gen 2 Pokemon would have to be Feraligatr, probably because I beat the entire game with it, plus it was the first Pokemon that I ever pulled to level 100. (Plus it looks badass.)
My least favorite would have to Bellossom. Just found it kinda pointless tbh

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
I have a lot of favourite Gen 2 Pokemon, but my number one is and always will be Quilava.

If I had to choose a least favourite, it would probably be Miltank, mainly because of Whitney's.

PkZZAZZ

Johto Fan
Years
My favorite(s) would have to be Lugia, Typloshion, and Sneasel!
My least favorite(s) would have to be all of the 'baby' Pokemon introduced in that gen and ...Stantler...

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I really like most of the Johto Pokemon, except a few that I try to like but can't sometimes. Like Ledian and Unown, already reasoned why I don't like these guys, and then there's the baby Pokemon.

I think they're cute definitely since they are baby Pokemon, and they were there to show off the new breeding mechanic of Gen 2. But other than that they really seem useless in anything else, and for some evolutionary lines like Clefairy didn't need a pre evo I think as they were already iconic, small and cute like Eevee. For others like Magmar and Electabuzz, I guess it made more sense for a smaller baby like creature to pop out of the egg, but then there's still Pokemon like Kangaskhan who hatch out of the egg with its own baby and Pokemon like Tauros or Pinsir who hatch as Pokemon comparable to fully evolved 1st or 2nd stage Pokemon. I also feel like baby Pokemon were an attempt to make a bunch of cute Pokemon to promote like Pikachu or Eevee.

Baby Pokemon are unnecessary although some are necessary like Togepi, I'm mostly talking cross gen Baby pokemon. I think for the most part and their Pokedex slots could have been easily fulfilled with a new evolutionary line or cross gen evolution like Kingdra or Crobat.

Least favorites aside, I really like Ampharos, Typhlosion, Feraligatr and Houndoom, common answers but they are cool Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 26, 2018
Pokemon is my favorite game series. Hope in future the game should come with more interesting series.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
My least favorite would probably be Aipom. XD Or maybe Ledian. I also don't especially like baby pokemon, although I would make an exception if they had bothered to actually make a Kangaskan baby mon! Like srsly.
Wooper is one of my favorites, it was really useful in stadium vs. any team with electric and ground types on it, and sometimes did OK vs poison/grass. Weird pokemon like Sunflora have grown on me via hacking to make them more viable (Sunflora just cries out for a partial fire typing to me), although I'm not sure if that really counts since it's not quite the same mon any more.

Zero-G

on the fly
Years
I'll start with my least favorites.

Quagsire. Just... Quagsire.
Seriously, I love Water/Ground as a typing. I love almost every Water/Ground pokemon, but this thing can just go to the darkest depths of hell and take its zero IQ grin along.
Ledian just makes me sad. Sure it's one of the starter Bug/Flying types but does it have to be worse than Butterfree in seriously every aspect ever?

And now, favorites.
- Scizor. I love this thing since it was revealed. And it just got better and better with every gen.
- Elekid. I wasn't the biggest fan of the baby pokemon being introduced I'll admit that. But Elekid to me always felt like the best of the bunch. And I like how it looks.

Back