• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whoops but Worse

Years
So, the other whoops thread is for your bad mafia plays, but Doof's post made me curious. What are some of the biggest screw ups you've made as a GM?

Naku commenting after Faes4 ends is mandatory.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
Years
Aha, a more appropriate thread, how convenient. Not sure if this counts as a mess-up per se, but I think the lesson learned from it is REALLY important for GMs, especially first timers.

So part of Gotham's fun was that there was an unlisted amount of secret roles and 0 vanillas. I had made some of the roles in advance, but during the mass role PMs I ended up having to improvise and make up several roles on the fly. It was improved so badly that I don't actually have the role descriptions anywhere except for the role PMs themselves. This resulted in some unbalanced, roles that weren't all exactly fun to use. Anyways, if you had one of the following roles, consider yourself lucky. ;) I don't remember which were intended and which weren't, so just consider them all improvised.

Spoiler:

So, the lesson I really learned from this is to really get prepared and don't rush a game into existence. It ended up surprisingly balanced and I think the game was enjoyed by most of the players, but I would never do it like this again. When you make a game, really think it through and know what you want to do with it. Have an organized sheet to follow through on and update it as you go, and if you have roles not listed in the OP, be sure to have a document with all of them written down before you through them out.

EDIT: The side effect of these roles was also that there were a lot of really weird interactions with them that were hard to pull off or just felt really awkward. I can't think of any specific examples but Klippy!TheMadHatter really had a strange time playing this game, I think.

Last edited:

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
In Vault 312 mafia I know I mixed up the names of vanillas and didn't have the storing sent messages option on.

JoJo I don't remember any notable mistakes other than role composition, that was a mess. N0 was a train wreck and I had to make decisions on how it would play out because the string of events is not something you see often. This is also when I realized that having a Granny is not the best idea, especially with Johnny somehow always getting that role. Chef role was never used which was a shame, but I know now that it's not a great role atm.

Thanksgiving Mafia was very basic in set up and was pretty much impossible to screw up.

Fishing Mafia... I'm pre-randomizing roles next time so people know what kind of train they're getting into before it crashes and burns. Also 2 factions is a no go and the only reason the game didn't go by so quick was that SK and Weresharks killed off a mafia (minus NK the Arsonist) in the first couple phases, AND some days kills were forgotten. Hydra was a role I didn't like at all, Encryptor being a town role tbh is not the best idea considering how it benefits the town for them to die so mafia can't coordinate votes, so if I do add this role in new games it will be as mafia. Oh yea and I may have haphazardly said that the arsonist had been fishing for the sharks which implied that they doused a shark, then Johnny said that he was doused but nobody reads the OP and no one caught that.

Years
As much as I loved GMing the first Blarz game there were a couple of errors. I got the recruit priority backwards and gave Christos to the wrong team which was an oops. Worse though, I accidentally killed Alvey in a really horrendous way when someone else had more lynch votes... which is why you always keep tabs on the vote tally yourself, people.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
Ayden giving Syn away still gives me nightmares.

CENTPIGW8AEfDcx.jpg

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
Years
In Zoofia I accidentally banned Desox from the mafia chat when it was Charlie Brown who was lynched.

Luckily Desox still PM'd me his NA but I didn't even notice until the night was supposed to end :x

Years
I accidentally put Bard's vig kill through as him using his Strongman one-time action and the doctor died. Then I made a lame joke and Peci thought it was a legit cover-up and it made me look even stupider. I am like 99% sure though that this didn't change the outcome of the game at all.

Back