• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which do you think is the best starter?

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
To me, the Fighting just adds extra annoying weaknesses, Flying being the most irritating imo.

Xatumi

Mech-Zoid
Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
I think the best Design would Be Snivy. The easiest to train and get through the game would be Tepig, but the overall best choice with a wicked moveset/stats would have to be Oshawatt for when it evolves!!

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
In my opinion it is Oshawott, awesome design (specially Samurott) and awesome stats. :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Oshawott is cute, tough and come on people, it's a freaking otter! How much cooler do you get?

ObeyMudkips

Raichupacabra back up
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 24, 2017
I choose Tepig. It is a great Pokemon since after one Flame Charge, it is fast and powerful. I also love its design and movepool as Emboar.

Dusk White

Terra's Protege
Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2014
I think the best starter pokemon is Oshawott it has a cool design.It is cool when it use razor shell. It looks cooler when it evolves to dewott.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
^ Glad to find another Dewott appreciator :D Dewott's my favourite in the line although I have evolved mine into a Samurott on Black now

PelipperMail

Banned
Years
Oshawott evolves into Dewott, which is turn evolves into Samurott. Now, I'm not one to pry upon things that don't matter, but when gender differences were introduced, Pokemon that had male features were made smaller on the female (sorry if that's wordy). Samurott, however, no matter its gender always has those whiskers. Which I completely love!

Years
I think the best starter pokemon is Oshawott it has a cool design.It is cool when it use razor shell. It looks cooler when it evolves to dewott.

Yes, I have to agree with you. Oshawott is the best of them all, I used one in Black. He has a Serious nature and he is now a Samurott.

For the evolutionary line, Oshawott is my favorite but Dewott is cool too.

Procrastinatron

Annihilator of Youngster Joey
Years
Yes, I have to agree with you. Oshawott is the best of them all, I used one in Black. He has a Serious nature and he is now a Samurott.

For the evolutionary line, Oshawott is my favorite but Dewott is cool too.

I have to agree with everything you guys said. Oshawott's actually the only Unova starter I like. Tepig did not appeal to me at all, and Snivy...

Smugleaf ruined it for me. :P

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Oshawott MUST be the best. Besides being cute and having good looks, it is also strong and learns quite some nice moves. Regardless to say, I support Oshawott.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2021
All of them are crap (let's be honest now, they are nothing special and all outclassed by previous starters by far) but Serperior is probably the best due to Contrary and Leaf Storm.

Years
Oshawott MUST be the best. Besides being cute and having good looks, it is also strong and learns quite some nice moves. Regardless to say, I support Oshawott.

oshawott.gif

Oshawott is very happy that you like him. He's really strong and that Razor Shell hits really hard!

He's wishing good luck to all Oshawott supporters and any PC users who chose Oshawott as their starter in Pokemon Black or White.

ScarletCross

Cresselia Fan
Years
In Pokemon White I chose Oshawott for my starter. I then got Emboar and Serperior through trade. Once I started battling with them I realized that Serperior had the better defense which is what I generally like in a Pokemon.

Although Serperior had good defense and speed, it's attack was lacking which made killing things harder therefore leveling up the Serperior (lvl65 at trade) was harder (even though it was traded and so got ep boost).

Samurott is generally in between Emboar and Serperior with the stats which is why I chose the water type. Also because in my previous Diamond game I chose Piplup and it totally rocked my battles. Samurott has much better attack but lacking on defense which is a downer for me.

I am torn between Samurott and Serperior but I will have to stick to my guns and say that Oshawott is the best starter in my opinion owo

*also i noticed that all the evolution's of Snivy have a name beginning with s hehe*
*and that on trade most people ask for Emboar*

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
Years
Well I cant really judge since I've only ever used one.
Oshawotts more of an easygoing pokemon in terms of gameplay although it isnt as great as some of the other games starters.

However my Samurott did help alot taking down Ghetsis's Hydreigon with its Dragon Tail and that I am grateful for choosing it in the very beginning.

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
Years
I like Oshawott the best. I tend to go for the water types most of the time, but I'd also use Tepig if I ever started a new game. Both are very good, I think, although I have to agree with the user that said the added fighting type adds extra weaknesses. That's a bit of a downfall.

Years
Design-wise I really like the way the Tepig line and the Snivy line look. I think that Oshawott is very cute, but Samurott looks like a designer who was trying to do way to much. Mermaid tail, 4 legs, narwhal horn, samurai armor, huge body and tiny feet? It looks disproportionate and reminds me more of a Digimon than a Pokemon, especially since I feel that Pokemon are suppose to more resemble animals and natural plants.

I personally chose Tepig, mainly because of it's cuteness. So far I have been happy with that choice. I did try the other two, I thought that Snivy was to boring for my battle style and Oshawott didn't impress me that much. Eventually I will have all 3 on the same cartridge once I transfer them from my other game.

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
Years
I like Snivy the best. Because then I don't have to have too many grass types since I already have one..Also Coil is a huge help to me. I can easily beat people with it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I generally think that the Unova starters are rather lackluster at best.

The only starter that I would bring with me would be a Snivy, but even so, its poor move-set, combined with its lop-sided stats hold it back considerably.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
I'm partial to Samurott because it was the first one I used, Emboar because Fire and Fighting are my two favorite types, and Serperior because I like its design and it's the one I'm using currently.

Back