• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

sexual orientation

Years
I get what you're saying with the appreciation bit. So theoretically, if same-sex marriages are allowed tomorrow then 100 years from now, the divorce rates between both sides will roughly even out because the current generation will have taken same-sex marriage for granted. XD

I'm still of the "either everyone is allowed the full government benefits or no one is allowed them" stance. :P

Ironically, I live in Texas, albeit a large urban metropolitan part of Texas, but still Texas. Stereotypes are bad. XD

Exactly. But eventually, once the civil rights are evenly balanced, everybody will get tired of each other. xD

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
I posted this in another thread regarding same sex marriage, and I will post it here too. I love how everyone posting there on the side of not having equal rights just completely ignored my post. Maybe they will read it this time ^_^

---

Hey, y'all! Yes, you. Everyone who voted for Proposition 8 in California, and everyone who's voted for similar measures in Arizona or elsewhere, and don't forget the people support it, the stay, and want to reverse the unconstitutional ruling. Come on down. Have a seat. Have a beer. I'd like just a moment of your time; I promise I'll go quickly, and I won't swear. Everybody with me?

It isn't every day you get a golden opportunity to hurt thousands of people who never did a thing to you, in exchange for zero benefit to yourself or to society. You sure showed those people who were just looking to share their lives with the person they love, didn't you? Awesome work, and I hate to be a party pooper at this, your great moment of triumph over the homosexuals. But today, of all days, it seems necessary to remind you of one thing that, I suspect, you already know deep down.

You're going to lose.

You do recognize that, right? I mean, 150 years ago, your philosophical forebears kept black men as slaves. A hundred years ago, your philosophical forebears outlawed marriage between a white woman and a black man. People like you denied blacks the vote, denied women the vote, tacitly allowed marital rape, segregated the schools, and burned down stores with Jewish owners. And recently, a man that people like you once enslaved, the product of a union that people like you once forbade, was elected President of the United States of America in part by citizens that people like you once disenfranchised. The slaveowners, the segregationists, the Klan, the rest of it, all of them are gone or marginalized, sad jokes, and the only thing separating you from them is just a little more time. A little.

And you do know it. I can see it in your panicky faces. You managed to get a cheap amendment passed in 2008, and now it's being appeal, a stopgap against a tide you can't stem, but you know and I know that amendments get repealed. Laws get changed. Oh, you may still have a decade, give or take, to put your pitiful boot down on a group that still distresses enough of your peers to make it unprotected.
But within your lifetime, it's going to happen. Gay men, and gay women, will be married. Not engaged in a "civil union," but married. To each other! They'll share their names, homes, and lives; they'll have the sex you can't bear to think about, in the context of a legally recognized relationship. Then, you know what they'll do? They'll adopt and raise children. They'll join the PTA at your grandkids' school. And you - as marginalized as the "separate-but-equal" shlubs became after the 60's - you'll see it happen. And you'll sit muttering into your bib about how things used to be, and members of a generation who never knew anything but equal marriage rights for all will nod politely and move away, pausing maybe to wipe the creamed corn off your chin.

It's coming, and we all know it. We know it because the natural direction of this society has always been toward more freedom, more rationality, more common decency. We move in pathetically small increments sometimes, mostly because of people like you, but we keep on moving and we're going to move right on past your outmoded mind. And there is nothing - nothing - that you can do about it.

---

I'm gay by the way

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
Years
*Walks into thread and skims it*

The Bible isn't read literally by most Christians.

My personal opinion is... Well... I don't like it, personally. It's not my choice. But then again, I don't like a lot of things that people do.

And I want to treat it like all those other things:

It's not my problem, it's not my preference, so keep it out of my face.

But the main reason I don't like most homosexuals is the fact that they cannot keep it out of my face. They must make a statement. They must be noticed.

Years
*Walks into thread and skims it*

The Bible isn't read literally by most Christians.

Yes, it is. Plenty of people take the bible as the verbatim word of God. Example- The authors of the left 'behind series', and plenty of ardent believers, are convinced that the rapture will swallow up thousands of believers, and that humanity will be faced with seven years of death, torture, famine and destruction at the hands of the Anti Christ, until the final battle at Har' Meggido, after which, results in the final defeat of Satan and a thousand year reign of peace by Jesus.

As long as LGBT people experience the level of discrimination and hatred levied against them, they can march, dance around, and flaunt whatever they please until they get equal rights under the law, as they deserve.

Guy

just a guy
Years
For those who simply skimmed the page or didn't bother to read the first post, I'm making this a friendly reminder.

[jq]this isn't exactly intended to be a debate thread but i can see it evolving into one which is perfectly fine, but for the love of god please be respectful when sharing your views. if you disagree with something someone has to say please don't angrily retaliate, give your argument with civility. this isn't something i should have to ask of you guys, but given the past, i'm feelin' a lil wary.[/jq]This thread won't be punished because others cannot be able to handle a simple discussion on sexual orientation or a person's views on the matter. If you're caught trolling another member or you're found disrespecting someone else because you don't agree, you will be infracted for it. Topics like this can go well in depth, but that doesn't mean things should be taken out of perspective. All personal disputes I suggest taking it to PM or VM, because it's only going to stray this thread from its original purpose.

...yeah, that's about it.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I'm straight, but I have no problem with people being gay. I mean, I like BL(some of it). GL's not my thing, but I can see in intrigue. Of course, I've been called things for supporting Gay Marriage, and God forbid my father ever finds out. Normally, I'd have no problem telling him, but he's so politics politics politics. I'm not allowed my own opinion v_v

But I respect everyone's opinion on this subject. As long as it's not "EW THAT'S GROSS". In which case, I WILL throw logic at you and make you feel stupid n_n. I'm a defensive kinda person.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
how long do you think it will take for the world to acknowledge individual sexual preferences as a perfectly natural part of humanity?[/SIZE]
How long? Forever and never.

The entire world hasn't come to the conclusion that women are people yet. Or other cultures as equal. Or.... a whole list of things.

Sooo.... yeah, not expecting it in my life time.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
Hey, y'all! Yes, you. Everyone who voted for Proposition 8 in California, and everyone who's voted for similar measures in Arizona or elsewhere, and don't forget the people support it, the stay, and want to reverse the unconstitutional ruling. Come on down. Have a seat. Have a beer. I'd like just a moment of your time; I promise I'll go quickly, and I won't swear. Everybody with me?

It isn't every day you get a golden opportunity to hurt thousands of people who never did a thing to you, in exchange for zero benefit to yourself or to society. You sure showed those people who were just looking to share their lives with the person they love, didn't you? Awesome work, and I hate to be a party pooper at this, your great moment of triumph over the homosexuals. But today, of all days, it seems necessary to remind you of one thing that, I suspect, you already know deep down.

You're going to lose.

^I'm not homosexual, but I love this post. I really do. 8D

People really need to stop and think, clearly, before they act. To this day I still don't understand why people just LOVE to make others miserable. Even if they're just following their beliefs. :|

I'm not expecting the world to accept homosexuality any time soon in my life. The hate and ignorance is just too strong...

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
Years
I personally believe that if you aren't gay, and you have even the slightest discomfort around gay people just because we like people of the same sex, that makes you a bigot, and you do not deserve my respect. :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
I personally believe that if you aren't gay, and you have even the slightest discomfort around gay people just because we like people of the same sex, that makes you a bigot, and you do not deserve my respect. :)
and i personally believe that if you are of any sexual orientation, and immediately dismiss and disrespect anyone who is merely uncomfortable with a lifestyle they're not familiar with, that makes you a bigot :-)

it's perfectly understandable that some people are apprehensive of the unknown, it's the byproduct of an intolerant society. we should embrace those people because they give us the opportunity to enlighten them... showing bigotry from either side only fuels animosity.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
Years
and i personally believe that if you are of any sexual orientation, and immediately dismiss and disrespect anyone who is merely uncomfortable with a lifestyle they're not familiar with, that makes you a bigot :-)

it's perfectly understandable that some people are apprehensive of the unknown, it's the byproduct of an intolerant society. we should embrace those people because they give us the opportunity to enlighten them... showing bigotry from either side only fuels animosity.
Yes, I am bigoted towards bigots. I will proudly admit it.

I do not do well with people who disagree with me. I don't know why I can't just..deal with it. I have to be a jerk about it. I guess that's just my personality. Might as well just live with it (I am saying that I might as well live with it.)

Years

No need to apologize, that is exactly right. I do think biblical/Judeo christian views tend to get in the way of society as a whole accepting LGBT people, which is sad because those very teachings tell us to love all of our fellow man.

A person's sexual orientation is their own business, and no other person or institution has the right to judge them for it.

Islam takes Homosexuality even worse, trust me.

Someone made a theory as to why Homosexuality is "looked down":
Since Ancient Times, some societies wanted women to give birth and men to plant their seeds so they can continue to conquer and become dominant in their region(s) (Hence why Greek City States don't mind homosexuality as much but the Romans do) and since Homosexuality does not give birth to "future warriors", it is looked down and discouraged.

Then there's this country where Male Homosexuality is punishable by death but Lesbians are allowed to do what they wish. Insecurity much?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I hate when people SOLELY define themselves based entirely on their sexuality and nothing else. :/ Whether it be straight, gay, bi, etc. It just leaves a bad taste in my life. Life's not JUST about your sexual partners, honey.
It's not my problem, it's not my preference, so keep it out of my face.
But the main reason I don't like most homosexuals is the fact that they cannot keep it out of my face. They must make a statement. They must be noticed.

Basically this. I do have gay friends, and even FLAMING gay friends, but they don't make sexuality their "go-to conversation point."
>_> Some guys are naturally feminine, and that's all cool. I just really don't CARE for you if the first thing you tell me about yourself is the fact that you're a homo.
It's like some straight dude you just meet in a new class and the first gottdamn thing he says to you is "Hi, I'm single, and I like the LADIES." >___> Like wtf.

>_> So I categorize LGBT in two subsections.. Regulars.. and "Gaytards".. because THOSE are the people who are flaunting it just to cause drama and get noticed.
>_> And I apologize if you find "Gaytards" a derogatory word.. but it's not actually meant to hurt anyone who's legitimately LGTB.. because it's more as a term for a "Gay wannabe" or like a term for a "Fag-hag" or any of those stupid people who go around kissing people of the same sex just to spread gossip or get attention from the sex that they're ACTUALLY attracted to. >_> Also this category includes people who FLAUNT a gay lifestyle to people REGARDLESS of the fact that it MIGHT make other people uncomfortable, but do it anyways because they think they're on top of the freaking world. Yet they throw a pity party if someone mentions that they don't like their sexual preferences being thrown into their faces.
If you find it offensive, either get off your high-horse and realize that I'm not referring to "Gaytards" as the entire LGBT population, or realize that you're doing the population an unnecessary "deed" by voicing your sexual preference to complete strangers. Yeah, that includes all of you too, "gurl." I know you must think almost everything is directed at you, but it's not, so don't take offense and calm down.

But in all.. I don't care for other's sexual preferences.. as long as it's not like.. hurting anyone, people can do whatever they want in my eyes.

And that's my opinion, if you don't agree with me, so be it. But I'm not going to fight about it.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I second everything Kura just said. I don't mind homosexuals and it doesn't bother me if they wanna get married, but making a big flipping deal out of your sexuality and thinking that a history of being discriminated yields you the right to have a condescending attitude about everything will piss me off and think less of you as a person. >_>

I do not do well with people who disagree with me. I don't know why I can't just..deal with it. I have to be a jerk about it. I guess that's just my personality. Might as well just live with it (I am saying that I might as well live with it.)

I used to be just like that too, except on the opposite side of the aisle admittedly (outspoken, jerkish homophobe). All it took is a little time to "grow up" and become more level-headed for me to assume my current role as a passive LGBT supporter. :/

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
Years
I hate when people SOLELY define themselves based entirely on their sexuality and nothing else. :/ Whether it be straight, gay, bi, etc. It just leaves a bad taste in my life. Life's not JUST about your sexual partners, honey.

Basically this. I do have gay friends, and even FLAMING gay friends, but they don't make sexuality their "go-to conversation point."
People who solely define themselves as gay angers me as well. They're just..attention seekers I guess. I am gay, but I don't mention it, ever (except just then, because it was relevant to show I am not biased.) The only time it ever comes up is when I am with my friends and they wont shut up about it. :|
I used to be just like that too, except on the opposite side of the aisle admittedly (outspoken, jerkish homophobe). All it took is a little time to "grow up" and become more level-headed for me to assume my current role as a passive LGBT supporter. :/
Well, I am happy that you came to your senses to realize it is stupid to hate someone for what they are, and not who they are. But a lot of homophobes I hate are adults, and not kids. If they haven't grown up yet, then there's no hope for them.

But if there is a 12 year old going around screaming homophobic things, more than likely I wont care at all, because they're 12.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
Years
I see sexual orientation as something similar to having a favorite food; it's different in everyone, and very fluid.

I am asexual, myself.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
While I support people's freedom to be whatever orientation they can come up with, I cannot however support the LGBT movement because-

You do recognize that, right? I mean, 150 years ago, your philosophical forebears kept black men as slaves. A hundred years ago, your philosophical forebears outlawed marriage between a white woman and a black man. People like you denied blacks the vote, denied women the vote, tacitly allowed marital rape, segregated the schools, and burned down stores with Jewish owners. And recently, a man that people like you once enslaved, the product of a union that people like you once forbade, was elected President of the United States of America in part by citizens that people like you once disenfranchised. The slaveowners, the segregationists, the Klan, the rest of it, all of them are gone or marginalized, sad jokes, and the only thing separating you from them is just a little more time. A little.

Because... of stuff like the above. *Facedesks ever so hard* Racism is not homophobia. Racism is not like homophobia. They are on a completely different scale. Frankly, I am sickened and disgusted by LGBT supporters who do this and it is the biggest reason I cannot support the group without shooting my dignity. Nothing personal. I just won't label myself as supporting LGBT unless the label fits REALLY well. I'd rather support my own view which is a lot less like obnoxious propaganda "We are the new blacks! We are the new slaves!"

It's coming, and we all know it. We know it because the natural direction of this society has always been toward more freedom, more rationality, more common decency. We move in pathetically small increments sometimes, mostly because of people like you, but we keep on moving and we're going to move right on past your outmoded mind. And there is nothing - nothing - that you can do about it.

The reason people ignore you is because things like this set off red lights in their head that say to them "This person is a troll." Just saying.

I'm gay by the way

I'm bi. Nice to meet you. =/

Oh hi.

definiton of Bigot said:
a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own

definiton of intolerant said:
unwilling to tolerate difference of opinion

Improvised definiton of (un)comfortable based on definiton of comfortable said:
Lacking a state of being relaxed and feeling no pain

It would appear that being uncomfortable with something is not being intolerant. Therefore, only you fit under the definition of bigot. In fact, I've been victimized by bigots who absolutely flip out when I admit to being honestly uncomfortable with a set niche. As if I'm not allowed to have a conflicting opinion. So much for freedom.

THAT is true bigotry, and an embarrassment their respective viewpoints if I say so my self.

It's nothing more than discrimination. Except it's a form of discrimination that's more widely accepted, because so many governments sanctify it. There's really nothing more to say. I could rant for a while about how ridiculous it is, but all the points are fairly obvious.

Definition of discrimination said:
the cognitive process whereby two or more stimuli are distinguished

I dare say that heterosexuals and homosexuals and bisexuals and transexuals are not the same and should not be treated the same. God forbid you tell the difference. How differently they should be treated is up for debate, however.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
Years
You do know, I already said I was a bigot towards bigots. I really don't see the point in you saying that after other people already have, including myself.

I just love how you completely ignored that little part.

I see sexual orientation as something similar to having a favorite food; it's different in everyone, and very fluid.

I am asexual, myself.

I agree, people tend to think of it as very clear cut and it's not. (b'')b

Years
This. This. This. If you're gay, be gay. I honestly don't care about what sexuality you are. There's only one thing that annoys me more than gay people using their sexuality as an excuse for attention, though, which is when other people call others gay as an insult. It's just...wrong.
But if there is a 12 year old going around screaming homophobic things, more than likely I wont care at all, because they're 12.
Way to generalise.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I dare say that heterosexuals and homosexuals and bisexuals and transexuals are not the same and should not be treated the same. God forbid you tell the difference. How differently they should be treated is up for debate, however.
How should they be treated differently? Black people are not the same as white people, but that doesn't mean they should be treated any differently. Sexual preference has about as much of an impact as skin colour when it comes to how one should perceive another. Treating someone differently (either for better, or worse), or being requested to be treated differently, merely because someone possesses such a trivial trait, is stupid.

You know full well what I mean when I say discrimination. There's another definition, I think you may have missed it.
(sometimes discrimination against) distinct treatment of an individual or group to their disadvantage; treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality; prejudice; bigotry.

Last edited:
Back