• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2016
What does it mean when a game is for a sale and says it is unlocked and all shineys are available?

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
What does it mean when a game is for a sale and says it is unlocked and all shineys are available?

It means it is hacked up, highly unlikely anyone can get most Shiny Pokemon and just sell it. In addition, certain Pokemon cannot be shiny legitly. Such as Celebi, Zekrom, Reshiram, and etc.

Years
Is guard split a status change?

Here's the description from Bulbapedia:

Bulbapedia said:
Guard Split averages the user's Defense and Special Defense stats with those of the target Pokémon. Guard Split will ignore both the user and the target's stat changes when calculating the average.

So yeah I guess it does count as a status change, same with Power Split.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I ask because I am using Psych up and wonder if the defense and Sp def get passed along as well
The source page at Bulbapedia doesn't specify, but I would presume that because changes to stats are usually passed on (i.e. with Baton Pass), that the changes from Psych Up are as well.

If anyone knows otherwise, however, do not hesitate to correct me.

Cyclone

Cyndafan

Unknown
Years
if i start a new game will that affect my global link account? or after i start the new game can i reconnect so i dont lose anything? pls pm the answer

Years
You won't be able to connect with that game anymore, because when you restart, you will also get a new Game Sync ID. I think you can email the PGL staff to get your old ID removed from your account so you can register your new save file but I'm not sure about that.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
A few questions about the Masuda Method:
~Let's say a Japanese person trades a Squirtle to an American person. The American person can breed that JP Squirtle with his USA Squirtle to do the method, if I'm correct. So, what happens if that American trades the JP Squirtle to another American? Will the Masuda Method still work? Will it still work after 50 trades within America, as long as the pokemon originated in Japan?

~A Japanese person hacks a Mudkip into his game, and then trades it to an American. If the American breeds the hacked JP Mudkip with his/her USA Mudkip, will the Masuda Method still work?

~An American generates a japanese Munna in PokeGen. When that Munna is imported into their game and bred with a USA Munna, will the Masuda Method take effect?

~Does breeding a foreign pokemon with a Ditto or breeding a foreign Ditto with a pokemon still let the Masuda Method take effect?

~Finally, and just to be clear, the odds of Masuda'ing without a Shiny Charm, getting a shiny pokemon is 1/1366 instead of 1/8192, right?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
~Let's say a Japanese person trades a Squirtle to an American person. The American person can breed that JP Squirtle with his USA Squirtle to do the method, if I'm correct. So, what happens if that American trades the JP Squirtle to another American? Will the Masuda Method still work? Will it still work after 50 trades within America, as long as the pokemon originated in Japan?

~A Japanese person hacks a Mudkip into his game, and then trades it to an American. If the American breeds the hacked JP Mudkip with his/her USA Mudkip, will the Masuda Method still work?

~An American generates a japanese Munna in PokeGen. When that Munna is imported into their game and bred with a USA Munna, will the Masuda Method take effect?

~Does breeding a foreign pokemon with a Ditto or breeding a foreign Ditto with a pokemon still let the Masuda Method take effect?

~Finally, and just to be clear, the odds of Masuda'ing without a Shiny Charm, getting a shiny pokemon is 1/1366 instead of 1/8192, right?
The Masuda Method still works as long as the Pokémon was first generated in a foreign-language game. In your example, even if your Japanese Squirtle was traded over and over, the method still works because it was generated in a Japanese cartridge.

Ditto still works with the Masuda method, since it never said anything about Ditto messing with the method.

The odds of you getting a shiny Pokémon using the Masuda Method while you have the Shiny Charm is 1/1024.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

So long as the Pokemon is generated on a foreign device and game, it'll work. Doesn't matter how you try to dissect it. If it counts as a foreign country you'll be able to use the Matsuda method for breeding.

With the Charm the chances drop to: 1/1024

bulbapedia said:
Increases the chances of encountering Shiny Pokémon. The chance of encountering Shiny Pokémon in the wild is changed to 1/2730. The chance of an egg producing a Shiny Pokémon via the Masuda method is changed to 1/1024.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
^Thanks for the help! But now i have another question.
I was trading and I came across a giveaway for a Mew. Of course, I took it. But, I have just confirmed the Mew is a fake...will it mess up my game in any way or is it pretty much harmless?

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
From what I can tell, hacked Pokemon cannot harm your game. Could you do me a big favor and post the details of it into Trade Corner's Hack Report Thread? If it was a giveaway there could be more hacks floating around I want to add it to the black list. If you can't provide a legality analysis, I'm more than happy to take it off your hands so I can check it for you ;)

(Er, does that count as off topic or advertising?)

RedReshiram

TheRedReshiram
Years
Hey guys!
I just started white 2 (so far I'm absolutely loving it) and I have a team planned and although I refuse to use ubers and pseudo-legendaries, I'm afraid my team is too weak. Here it is;

Samurott- Not changing him.
Magnezone - Give suggestions for a replacement.
Krookodile - Not changing him.
Chandelure - Not changing him.
Pinsir - Give suggestions for a replacement.
Unfezant - Give suggestions for a replacement.

This is just purely for in-game purposes and not for competitive battling. Also, I really don't have time to search for super rare Pokemon (such as in Hidden Grottoes). In addition, I would really appreciate it if you can tell me which ability is best and the move sets for my current team and/or your suggestions. I don't really care about natures. When choosing move sets, please be mindful that I will not be grinding levels and the maximum levels my Pokemon will be when facing the champion are probably around fifties.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for the time to reply. Yeah, it is a lot of requirements to ask for, but you know, I don't wanna go all the way to the champion only to find out my team sucks.

Thanks again!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Hey guys!
I just started white 2 (so far I'm absolutely loving it) and I have a team planned and although I refuse to use ubers and pseudo-legendaries, I'm afraid my team is too weak. Here it is;

Samurott- Not changing him.
Magnezone - Give suggestions for a replacement.
Krookodile - Not changing him.
Chandelure - Not changing him.
Pinsir - Give suggestions for a replacement.
Unfezant - Give suggestions for a replacement.

This is just purely for in-game purposes and not for competitive battling. Also, I really don't have time to search for super rare Pokemon (such as in Hidden Grottoes). In addition, I would really appreciate it if you can tell me which ability is best and the move sets for my current team and/or your suggestions. I don't really care about natures. When choosing move sets, please be mindful that I will not be grinding levels and the maximum levels my Pokemon will be when facing the champion are probably around fifties.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for the time to reply. Yeah, it is a lot of requirements to ask for, but you know, I don't wanna go all the way to the champion only to find out my team sucks.

Thanks again!

The way the games are made you can beat it with the worst team you could build (theoretically). Your team is only as bad as you make them and treat them. That being said if you want an in depth review if your team, try the in game team help section in the Battle Center forum. More people wouldbe able to assist you there.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
The Trainer whose Pokémon faints first loses.

Normally I agree with you, but I asked their customer service people and they replied this to me

Hello Adrian,

thank you for contacting the Pokémon Support.

When using attacks like "Perish Song" the user of the attack loses the battle as we want to reward players who win matches without those kind of attacks. This is the same for "Destiny Bond", "Selfdestruct" and "Explosion".

If you have any further questions or issues, please let us know.

Thank you,
The Pokémon Support Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back