• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

bad pokemon evolutions

TepigLover101

I am a tepig who has hair
Years
picture this your playing black and white a few days after you got it your brother got pokemon black and you got pokemon white v2 your brother brags to you about his dewott and you determenly try to level up your tepig to show your brother you had a cool starter too
you level it up annnnd it turns from a cute pig to beast from beauty and the beast
if this seems familiar in anyway then you have probably run into a bad pokemon evolution a pokemon that looked great from its first and or second form then turned into a nightmare before your eyes everyone has experienced at least 1 bad pokemon evolution
while I myself really like cyndaquil I have to admit that the cyndaquil evolutions its pretty bad seriously its just cyndaquil but beg

so I´m curious what some pokemon evolutions that kinda ruin the first form
or pokemon evolutions that saved the first form choose your poison

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Brionne - I already thought Popplio looked weird, but Brionne is an eyesore.

Boltund - Looks too much like a real dog. I wouldn't be surprised if Yamper was jealous of Growlithe, Houndour, and Electrike, because they got cool evolutions and Yamper didn't.

Years
gotta agree with boltund. I thought it was cool at first but the more I see it, the derpier I think it looks :x

blastoise and magmortar to me. magmar was cool but looks ridiculous evolved. and I love wartortle a lot but blastoise is just a super round, silly looking giant turtle with cannons. :( had the potential to look a lot cooler.

Years
Wormadam... there has to be Pokemon that GF makes where they say, "There's no fucking way anyones using this turd, let's make it anyway so it's another model we have to deal with and then, once we have too many models, let's cut out of bunch of peoples favorites! God, we are killing this shit!"

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Generally, I like fully evolved Pokémon but the mentioned Boltund is one of those Pokémon I too find underwhelming. Yamper is a charming design so to see Boltund for the first time really baffled me, why does it look so generic? Also, Coalossal is a huge disappointment; Rolycoly was this awesome one-eyed wheeled coal Pokémon but then it later turns into a Rhyperior clone with coal slapped on it and it's not a good looking Pokémon either. If Lucario never existed, it would be my overall least favourite Pokémon.

pkmin3033

Anything that turns a quadruped into a biped. Anything at all.

Years
I've always hated Rhyperior and Magmortar. Incineroar was kinda dissapointing because I loved Litten and Torracat. I liked Chespin when I first saw it but its evolutions are terrible.

Years
Pelipper. I was shocked when my delicate little wingull that I loved and called
Fairywing evolved in RSE. That was not what I was expecting. I told my mom how crestfallen I was about the final evolution of my Pokemon. She tried to cheer me up, saying it probably wasn't so bad. I showed my mom the Pelliper on my screen, and she bust out laughing hard. Even she couldn't act like it was good with a straight face. She exclaimed, "Did he swallow a boat?"

Incineroar was quite a disappointment also. I was fervently Team Litten when pictures of the Alola starters in their first stage were introduced to the world. I was still okay with Torracat, but as soon as I saw Incineroar I jumped ship immediately, and changed allegiance to Team Popplio based solely on the final evo.

Pignite and Emboar are not very nice-looking either. It's a shame because I like Tepig. I was always in Team Snivy and never strayed from that, this evolutionary line remains one of my favorites. But I do think Tepig is cute, and there are times where I feel tempted to pick Tepig just to change things up when revisiting the Unova region. But I always chicken out because I know what lies ahead when it reaches level 17 and 36, and can bear to see that happen to it.

Magmortar and Tangrowth are some of my most hated final evos too, will not use them purely because of how bloated and over-designed they are. Adding Diggersby to that list while I am at it.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I love Slaking and it's one of my favorite Pokemon, but ouch. Getting Truant back isn't a nice feeling at all.

Scorbunny is adorable, Raboot is okay, Cinderace makes me miss Scorbunny.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
People have already expressed disdain toward Pokémon like Rhyperior, Incineroar, Boltund, and Coalossal, so...

In the first three generations, there were a lot of evolutions that didn't resemble their base forms. Lots of them changed colors and forms, and while those aren't a bad idea on paper, sometimes they pretty much make evolutions unrecognizable. In this essay I will Of course, Pokémon based on metamorphosizing animals (like Caterpie and Weedle) get a pass because that's how it works in real life. Pokémon like Hoothoot and Noctowl have very different body shapes, but their owl-based designs can at least give an indication that there's an evolutionary link between them. Rattata and Raticate? Phanpy and Donphan? Whismur and Loudred? Sure, the shifts may look drastic, but they're similar enough for people to see that they're related. I'm not the biggest fan of these shifts, though.

Then we get Pokémon like Octillery and Whiscash. Taking a look at them and their base forms doesn't give you a sense that these are the same things as the Pokémon you trained to evolve. How does a fish evolve into an octopus? How does a loach evolve into a catfish? Not that I dislike them as Pokémon (although they might use some improvements gameplay-wise), but the difference between these Pokémon and their base forms can be a bit jarring.

Then we get Silvally. Not that I hate it as a Pokémon, but the fact that literally the only stat it improves from its pre-evolution is its Speed kinda sucks. Sure, it's basically a budget Arceus as intended, but it's pretty much a form change that requires happiness rather than an evolution.

Years
Scorbunny is adorable, Raboot is okay, Cinderace makes me miss Scorbunny.

can agree with this too. Cinderace has his cute moments but I don't think I'll ever get used to those odd, tiny-looking arms. I loved Scorbunny so much and will always miss it when it evolves. :(

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
there are not enough words to express my sadness when my cutie little dottler evolved into orbeetle. like it's cool i guess. but dottler is so cute...so round...little dome w lights...little feet...i originally planned to keep it with me until the end when it was a dottler, but it got immediately boxed after evolving. so, so disappointing.

Years
I really hoped that Charjabug and Vikavolt would both keep the same grey body color as their pre-evolution. Grubbin was, unfortunately, boxed after I evolved him in Ultra Sun. I like everything else about these evolutions, though, and only wish that I could have instantly turned it shiny so that I would have a monochrome Vikavolt with green highlights.

Years
the abominations that Chespin evolved into. wanna make sure that i slap an ever stone on him next time.

also i know slaking is amazing stats wise, but i really prefer if vigoroth just stays vigoroth (vital spirit over truant anyday).

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
I hate Alolan Persian with a BURNING passion. Why does it have a melon head? I still remember the disgust I felt when I the first saw it in a battle with Nanu.
Also not a fan of Granbull. I don't understand why so many of its dex entries say that it's cute. It's far from cute.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 17, 2021
A lot of the Gen 1 evolutions feel boring and lazy; Magneton and Dugtrio are obvious examples, but not enough attention is given to stuff like Primeape, Electrode, and Muk, which are basically just bigger versions of their pre-evos.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Forget the lazy or akward ones. Howabout the clam evolving into two eels? Is there any genuine logic to that?

Also, a fish becoming an octopus. I know, it's supposed to be seen as a firearm into a cannon, but why not make them the same animal? Why is it that a fish loses it's spine upon evolving?

LadyLurantis940

The Bug-type Impostor
Years
I hate Alolan Persian with a BURNING passion. Why does it have a melon head? I still remember the disgust I felt when I the first saw it in a battle with Nanu.
Also not a fan of Granbull. I don't understand why so many of its dex entries say that it's cute. It's far from cute.
I completely disagree with both of these, just dropping in to say. The cartoonish Persian really grew on me, and honestly, the round head and goofy face make it all the more endearing. Granbull is cute.

I've made my case.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Delphox was still a mistake. It always has been, and always will be. Idk why this evolution line was...done so wrong. The concept of a fox mage was cool, but then... Delphox just went and... was a major disappointment. To be fair, though, I thought Chesnaught was also executed poorly, as well as the Unova starters. But, Delphox takes the cake for me.

Also, while I don't dislike this evolution, Remoraid evolving into Octillery makes no sense.

Forget the lazy or akward ones. Howabout the clam evolving into two eels? Is there any genuine logic to that?

I've never understood how Clamperl evolves into an eel, either. But, I've heard rumors that the pink thing inside of Clamperl's shell is a fish egg, but that's a dumb theory/rumor, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back