• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cello's guide to everything tile insertion/placement (HUGE Guide, Tips, FAQ)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Strange... at a guess, you do have the newest version of Advance Map, right? Not to worry, I guess you can also insert the pallette with APE (yet that could be harder... Unless you insert a sprite with the pallettes you want into a clean ROM, save the pallette somewhere, look up that pallette in APE, and then copy and paste all the data over the pallette you want to change in your ROM...)

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
ape- ok im not gonna try, as i didnt unstand in your post.

yes i have the newest 1.92
i tried downloading a older one. 1.91
but the link sent me to 1.92 sadly

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today

Strange... Anyway... The only way of inserting pallettes for you then is through APE. The best way is:

Insert a sprite/tileset with the pallette you want into a clean ROM using UNLZ or whatever you use. Save the pallette in an offset you can remember. Open APE, search for that offset, and your pallette is there.

Open your ROM in APE too, find the pallette offset for the pallette you want to edit, and just change the pallette to that in the clean ROM.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024

:/

1.92 looks like this, and the one you showed is an old version of it. :/

Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2011
Great guide, it explains everything you need to know about tile inserting. I used a combination of this and Aljam's guide to create my first custom tile.

Spoiler:

Thank you for taking the time to create this guide!

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Hey
I got a question.
When I use Photoshop to index my tiles, when I insert it to Advanced map, it replaces the wrong part of the pallete (like where the tree colors go, it goes to the grass part?)

Im not sure if this effects allot, im still learning
---
adding on to palletes, my tree is about 11 colors, grass is 3,as you see my tree takes up some colors unlike the the fr/lg trees.
-
Also possiple need other help. I got some tiles with the black background, but im kinda confused/worried from there.

I know how to index, and all. its just getting the new pallete in. like is it going to get it in right?

/Also couldnt figure out the palletes in gale

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2010
Hello. A want Download Palette. Please give mi link to download this palette

Last edited:

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Hello. A want Download Palette. Please give mi link to download this palette

Unfortunately I lack the palettes from this guide to share, sorry.

I would like to thank everyone who has tended to this guide and helped the people with questions while i've been away. Also, thanks for keeping my guide up-to-date Harry, I see you edited it a couple of months back. :]

Just a status update:
Seeing as I still get a message here and there requesting help, I would like to state that if anyone still needs help, you can try to ask me, but, well...
Lets just say i'm glad i wrote this guide...
...Because I really needed to freshen up on this.

Akhilesh

Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 21, 2012
Thanks Very very much bubby it really helped me. THANKSSSSSSSSS......!!!!!

I was trying to insert tiles for a lot of days but when I came across your thread I was very delighted to be able to insert tiles...
Thankssss!!!!!!!

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2014
Just looked at this tut. It was REALLY helpful but I had a problem in the last few steps where you put them in the tileset. I followed all the steps however when I added my new tiles to the set and loaded in A-Map with the right palette my new tiles weren't there :/

EDIT: Re-did all the steps. I added the tiles from the file which hadn't been indexed which was why they hadn't showed :D AMAZING GUIDE!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 12, 2011
Hi there!
Amazing tutorial, the best I have read about tile inserting.
Now, I have a little problem. I inserted the tiles on my map in A-map. All looked good, but when I tryed it out in visual boy, the colores of my new tiles where black and white, insted of blue (water). I putted the tiles in an empty place.
Can you help me, please?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Hi there!
Amazing tutorial, the best I have read about tile inserting.
Now, I have a little problem. I inserted the tiles on my map in A-map. All looked good, but when I tryed it out in visual boy, the colores of my new tiles where black and white, insted of blue (water). I putted the tiles in an empty place.
Can you help me, please?

Which ROM was that, and which Pallette? And, did you remember to set the tiles to use that pallette when you inserted them into Advance Map to make them able to be used to map with?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 12, 2011
Which ROM was that, and which Pallette? And, did you remember to set the tiles to use that pallette when you inserted them into Advance Map to make them able to be used to map with?

It was Ruby in English. Pallete 12 of tileset nº 10.
I can map them, and the colours stay normal. Everything is working on a-map, but on the emulator (I tryed with visual boy and No$gba, both last version) the colours are black and white (more like gray).

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
It was Ruby in English. Pallete 12 of tileset nº 10.
I can map them, and the colours stay normal. Everything is working on a-map, but on the emulator (I tryed with visual boy and No$gba, both last version) the colours are black and white (more like gray).

That's why. Pallette 12 isn't a functional pallette to use in Ruby yet, only in Firered. Use any pallette but 12 when tile inserting into Ruby.

Back