• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
Wow, I can't believe I didn't think to do that! Your advice is astounding and helpful, kind gentleman.

edit: it does nothing

Yeah, I have the same problem, and the same person gave the same answer to me, so I don't why they'd give you the same response.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Yeah, I have the same problem, and the same person gave the same answer to me, so I don't why they'd give you the same response.

Spoiler:

This is all I get no matter what ROM I try to load. Loading banks in 0 seconds is impressive but it doesn't seem to be able to do anything with them :P

I'm trying to figure out why this happens. Currently I've tested it on OS X, Linux, and Windows 7 and they all work fine. If you're good with the command line and java happens to be in your executable path you might be able to use something like java -jar MEH-someversion.jar (obviously with the proper filename, I just can't remember it atm), and get a log of the command line. If not, I'll see about integrating a command line dump into MEH so we can get these problems sorted out.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Spoiler:

This is all I get no matter what ROM I try to load. Loading banks in 0 seconds is impressive but it doesn't seem to be able to do anything with them :P

I think I know why, it's because your ROM version and Game Code may be different. As such, it could be a different language, version number or anything like that. 'Cause games with different versions and game codes have different offsets in where the maps or banks are listed.

Try using AXVE (Pokémon Ruby US version), BPRE (Pokémon FireRed US version) or BPEE (Pokémon Emerald US version) on version 1.0. Not version 1.1.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I just tested it on Win7 home premium 64bit and it opens the maps fine with both clean emerald and fire red roms.

Maybe there is some file missing or you edited the .ini?

Last edited:

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
I'm trying to figure out why this happens. Currently I've tested it on OS X, Linux, and Windows 7 and they all work fine. If you're good with the command line and java happens to be in your executable path you might be able to use something like java -jar MEH-someversion.jar (obviously with the proper filename, I just can't remember it atm), and get a log of the command line. If not, I'll see about integrating a command line dump into MEH so we can get these problems sorted out.

I'll see what I can do about that, if it doesn't work, I'll test on my new Win-7 64 bit, I'm just avoiding it since I need it for school, and roms are dangerous things to work with.

I think I know why, it's because your ROM version and Game Code may be different. As such, it could be a different language, version number or anything like that. 'Cause games with different versions and game codes have different offsets in where the maps or banks are listed.

Try using AXVE (Pokémon Ruby US version), BPRE (Pokémon FireRed US version) or BPEE (Pokémon Emerald US version) on version 1.0. Not version 1.1.

if it helps, the version I am using is the "U" version of FR.

I just tested it on Win7 home premium 64bit and it opens the maps fine with both clean emerald and fire red roms.

Maybe there is some file missing or you edited the .ini?
I know the rom is clean as its a backup of the base rom I used to patch on THPP in the first place.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I just saw this thread for the first time and I have to say... This is going somewhere. For now I'll keep using AM thanks to some of the other features not implemented here yet, BUT looking at the plans you guys have... I think I'll be using this over AM real soon. (Also once it's out of open alpha, of course.) Keep up the good work guys! You have my hacking team's full support!

(Also, is this the same interdpth that created Double Helix and ZeroFission? If so, I just wanted to say you have my respect as a map-maker...-maker. XD)

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
This is what I get from command prompt:

Spoiler:

I can provide the rest of the traces if you want, but they all have MouseDragged in the call stack so I doubt they'd be relevant. They also don't consistently show up.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years

I have had this exact same issue on Ubuntu. I have tried double-clicking and i know I am working on BPRE. I think we have talked about this before.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Not sure if this will help anyone, but I was able to fix the issue I was having by manually adding java to the PATH variable and running MEH from within the MEH's directory instead of Java's. (that is, what I should've done and should've been able to do in the first place but java is absolutely terrible about being easy to use)

Shiny Quagsire

Years
I have had this exact same issue on Ubuntu. I have tried double-clicking and i know I am working on BPRE. I think we have talked about this before.

Ah, that makes sense. I'll have to figure out a way to fix that. iirc I had a similar issue with something else before so this isn't an entirely new problem per-se. I'll just have to mess with some of the file IO to get it to read from there the JAR is instead of where it's started.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I just download this after a break from hacking for a while. I was looking at the different tabs and eventually this happened when I viewed my map:
Spoiler:

The box of colors in the top left isn't supposed to be there O_o
Any ideas? Also, I can't "color" over the mess for some reason. It's okay for me because I have a backup, but I just don't want to use the Alpha if this is a common occurance.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
I just download this after a break from hacking for a while. I was looking at the different tabs and eventually this happened when I viewed my map:
Spoiler:

The box of colors in the top left isn't supposed to be there O_o
Any ideas? Also, I can't "color" over the mess for some reason. It's okay for me because I have a backup, but I just don't want to use the Alpha if this is a common occurance.

Those colors are the debugging palettes. They are activated/deavitvated with the two blank buttons to the right of the "Save Map" button. It's overlayed so that is why you can't color over it. And yes, this editor is in no way shape or form to be used as a replacement for A-Map quite yet, but it's getting very close. All that's really left is proper repointing support, bugfixes, a Block Editor, and a Worldmap Editor. And from there the MEH-exclusive features begin like Day/Night pokemon, easy tile animations and all that jazz.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
It's that time again. Time for another weekly(ish) update!
Screenshotfrom2014-02-05220142_zpseeb34a47.png

(My computer's been giving me issues so it defaulted to the usual Java look and feel >.<)

So if it wasn't obvious already from the screenshot above, I finally managed to finish adding repointing support. Now in case you're wondering what this means for you, it means that you can finally add events as well as remove them, which for a map editor is quite huge. The reason why I say I added repointing support is because when you add events you have to quite literally move all the data to another place where there's more room for the expanded data. Currently I haven't found any quirks outside of one from the Warp editor which causes some nasty stuff to happen (aka your warps are screwy after removing one of them) so I added a warning dialog until I fix it.

And to make things a bit easier, here's a list of things added in this weekly(ish) update:
  • Adding/Removing Events
  • You can now double-click events to edit their scripts.
  • Moving events now updates their position in realtime (ie the block follows the cursor instead of waiting for a mouse release) ala A-Map

And some things that aren't quite in there yet:
  • Better search paths for INI files, including a global ini stored in your AppData directory
  • A dialog notifying you of your missing INI as well as automagic INI extraction (probably via a dialog asking you if you'd like to generate one)
  • MEH actually remembering your script editor in the INI
  • Still need to test if XSE accepts the arguments given (if someone could test this that would be great since XSE refuses to work on Linux
  • Other executable extensions such as .sh and support to manually input a command to execute when selecting a script editor
  • Proper argument support for SEA (not really MEH related but still important)

Now as for what to expect next, you can expect quite a lot of changes. Since I'm done with most of the internal infrastructure, there's going to be a lot more features rolling in, including Day/Night pokemon support as well as a proper block editor, bringing MEH one step closer to being a suitable replacement for AdvanceMap. As always, suggestions are welcome, and I actually got a good suggestion for an image overlay feature a while back, where you can overlay an image over your map so that you can recreate different maps from something like RSE, DPPt, or for porting existing maps in the event of ROM corruption or switching ROM Bases. Let me know what you guys think of the idea or if you have anything you'd like to add. :)

Last edited:

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
It's that time again. Time for another weekly(ish) update!
Screenshotfrom2014-02-05220142_zpseeb34a47.png

(My computer's been giving me issues so it defaulted to the usual Java look and feel >.<)

So if it wasn't obvious already from the screenshot above, I finally managed to finish adding repointing support. Now in case you're wondering what this means for you, it means that you can finally add events as well as remove them, which for a map editor is quite huge. The reason why I say I added repointing support is because when you add events you have to quite literally move all the data to another place where there's more room for the expanded data. Currently I haven't found any quirks outside of one from the Warp editor which causes some nasty stuff to happen (aka your warps are screwy after removing one of them) so I added a warning dialog until I fix it.

And to make things a bit easier, here's a list of things added in this weekly(ish) update:
  • Adding/Removing Events
  • You can now double-click events to edit their scripts.
  • Moving events now updates their position in realtime (ie the block follows the cursor instead of waiting for a mouse release) ala A-Map

And some things that aren't quite in there yet:
  • Better search paths for INI files, including a global ini stored in your AppData directory
  • A dialog notifying you of your missing INI as well as automagic INI extraction (probably via a dialog asking you if you'd like to generate one)
  • MEH actually remembering your script editor in the INI
  • Still need to test if XSE accepts the arguments given (if someone could test this that would be great since XSE refuses to work on Linux
  • Other executable extensions such as .sh and support to manually input a command to execute when selecting a script editor
  • Proper argument support for SEA (not really MEH related but still important)

Now as for what to expect next, you can expect quite a lot of changes. Since I'm done with most of the internal infrastructure, there's going to be a lot more features rolling in, including Day/Night pokemon support as well as a proper block editor, bringing MEH one step closer to being a suitable replacement for AdvanceMap. As always, suggestions are welcome, and I actually got a good suggestion for an image overlay feature a while back, where you can overlay an image over your map so that you can recreate different maps from something like RSE, DPPt, or for porting existing maps in the event of ROM corruption or switching ROM Bases. Let me know what you guys think of the idea or if you have anything you'd like to add. :)

It is now able to read both the clean FR and the patched FR "properly" and loads the maps (I will admit however, that I am now testing on my Win-7 64-bit computer,) however the wild pokemon editor fails to load pre-existing wild pokemon data, this applies to both the clean rom and the patched rom. I'll also ask the following since its why I was checking wild data specifically in the first place; Does MEH read the identity of the pokemon from its ini files or from the rom itself? since what I'm working with changes pokemon to something else.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
It is now able to read both the clean FR and the patched FR "properly" and loads the maps (I will admit however, that I am now testing on my Win-7 64-bit computer,) however the wild pokemon editor fails to load pre-existing wild pokemon data, this applies to both the clean rom and the patched rom. I'll also ask the following since its why I was checking wild data specifically in the first place; Does MEH read the identity of the pokemon from its ini files or from the rom itself? since what I'm working with changes pokemon to something else.

Ah, I knew I had to have broken something with that repointing stuff. I did find a bug in the latest build that prevented wild pokemon from loading. I just fixed the issue and it should be up within a few minutes of this post (the buildbot takes a while to recognize that I pushed my changes). As for where it reads the data, I have everything set up to read from an in-game pointer, ie the value in the ini is a pointer to the pointer to the wild data. So it works on patched and unpatched ROMs.

EDIT: Fixed build is up, give that one a go and let me know if the problem persists.

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
Ah, I knew I had to have broken something with that repointing stuff. I did find a bug in the latest build that prevented wild pokemon from loading. I just fixed the issue and it should be up within a few minutes of this post (the buildbot takes a while to recognize that I pushed my changes). As for where it reads the data, I have everything set up to read from an in-game pointer, ie the value in the ini is a pointer to the pointer to the wild data. So it works on patched and unpatched ROMs.

EDIT: Fixed build is up, give that one a go and let me know if the problem persists.

http://imgur.com/4ghbcoQ It seems to be working fine now, though it claims there is no rom loaded when there clearly is.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
http://imgur.com/4ghbcoQ It seems to be working fine now, though it claims there is no rom loaded when there clearly is.

I still can't believe I haven't fixed that yet. XD
But this is normal, I haven't actually added that yet.

Also, I've added Day/Night pokemon support to MEH, so you can add different Pokemon to different times of day. Currently it requires primaldialga's DNS although a different system may or may not be released at a later time. Also, the tool currently doesn't auto-inject the ASM, so it's kinda useless for the general public at the moment. But for those who want to try it out, here's the ASM:
Spoiler:

These are for Fire Red and replace the two routines in this thread. Insertion is exactly the same and only those two routines are required. It also supports swarming although it's disabled by default, but can be activated using the flag at the bottom called "enable_swarming". The how-to on this is also in the thread, although the variable for the map operates slightly different. To change the map, set the variable 0x4FFE with the top byte as the bank and the bottom one as the map. So if I wanted a swarm on Route 1 I'd set variable 0x4FFE to 0x0313, since it's bank 3 and map 0x13 (19 in decimal).

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
What I've always had trouble with is the coding. You should make this as simple as possible for those who are beginners at coding and don't know anything about it.

Back