• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Out of Pocket [WIP]

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
Just poppin' in with yet another Interest Check that'll probably never yield anything.

The following OP is still a WIP, and there's still quite a lot of work left to be done on my end. I am currently working on a map and laying out areas since there's a big focus on exploration ? this part is taking me longer than I thought, so kudos to anyone who actually went out of their ways to design an entire map for their Role-Play. While progression might be shaky as I'll be drastically busy throughout the next couple of weeks, I am determined to make this.

I decided to post this for feedback on mechanics, considering that I am making this Role-Play for other people. I am aware that I tagged this thread as an Interest Check instead of using the vibrant red Workshop Thread label, but like, I also want to see how people view this premise and if some ideas look fun for them? I can't shake the feeling that some elements are really unorthodox and I might not be promoting enough creative leeway for players as I want.

Nothing here is finalized, so some things may change for the finished product. I implore people to ask me questions and force me to explain anything that may not make sense. This is the first time I am acting as GM and I want to take this opportunity to experiment. Asking me questions will help me, like, use the words more good and stuff.

Actually, I currently have two questions of my own for the community regarding certain matters for the Role-Play:

• There are currently a total five NPCs I will be managing, each with their own mechanics and quirks. I've considered a sixth ? is there a Pokemon you guys would like to see? Feel free to discuss some options!
  • As of now, I said Legendaries were prohibited. However, the setting for this Role-Play is already different from a typical PMD ? most of the themes focus on deconstructing the obsequious nature of Pokemon despite their "superior" abilities, and I feel certain Legendaries could be permitted to fit with this idea. Does this idea seem appealing? What are the drawbacks if I do decide to open up this as a possibility?

7PhxOsG.png
[a id]intro0[/a id][alink id="plot1"]Plot[/alink id] | [alink id="boss2"]Owner[/alink id] | [alink id="dates3"]Cast[/alink id] | [alink id="rule4"]Rules[/alink id] | [alink id="app5"]Application[/alink id]

? Define: Pok?mon.​

? Formerly known as Majuu, Pok?mon are creatures with fantastical abilities. For centuries, they co-existed with humans. And yet in spite of their prevalence to society, they remain arcane in nature; countless decades were dedicated to unraveling the mysteries behind their existence. Though nothing new was learned about the origin of Pok?mon, there were a myriad of scientific breakthroughs to amend the bonds between Pok?mon and humans.

Headquartered in the modest town of Gainsboro, Grisaille Corporation is an international conglomerate that competes with other manufacturers of Pok?mon technology. They are responsible for the development of the Pok?Gene System?. The PGS can freely modify the innate strengths and traits of all Pok?mon, regardless of species. Through their costly health system, Grisaille Corporation provides special treatment for any Pok?mon suffering from abnormalities, fixing them with artificial feats and augmentations.​
[a id]plot1[/a id]
? Why, hello there!​

? Welcome to Redwood Reserve! Formerly the personal laboratory for Professor Redwood, this research facility was renovated into a rehabilitation center and serves as Gainsboro's local Day Care.

You are a Pok?mon, and whether or not you actually suffer from any ailment, you will be placed into the Day Care service for approximately one full day. The Caretaker is dealing with a financial crisis, and he is doing everything he can to maintain business by cutting corners and haplessly accepting every job. As he lacks manpower, the Caretaker will frequently ask for your help with his tasks. Failure to assist and comply will mean the Caretaker will have no choice but to forfeit you to one of Grisaille Corporation's private shelters.

But don't get the wrong idea! You're not some drudge working at a mediocre retail job nor are you some test subject taking part in some zany experiment. You are here to have a good time, and good behavior will always be rewarded! The majority of given assignments will be designed as fun games to inspire motivation and promote creativity. And if you continuously work hard and stay devoted to your Caretaker during his tough endeavors, you might wind up with something truly special at the end.

On the other hand, maybe you're someone who prefers taking the road less traveled. If mundane chores don't interest you, there exists an alternative: you can explore Redwood Reserve in search of secrets, and these will grant you Insight. Collecting Insight will help you find this hidden prize, and who knows, you may even unravel the mysteries behind Redwood Reserve. Just be sure you don't get caught snooping around too often!

While there is a reward for the one with the most perseverance and cunning, this isn't exactly a competition to see who is the best ? it is ill-advised to aggressively contend with your peers. Camaraderie is greatly encouraged and there will be times where you will need to work with others in order to reach the end goal. Remember, you are never alone here at Redwood Reserve.​

[alink id="intro0"]
Return ?
[/alink id]
[a id]boss2[/a id]
? And who's this bloke?​

? The current owner of Redwood Reserve can seem a little rough around the edges with his crass vocabulary and lackadaisical attitude, but Rust is serious about his responsibilities as Caretaker. Anyone who tries to exploit his amiability or mistake his patience as a sign of passivity may find themselves at the mercy of his vicious wrath. Nevertheless, he is a reasonable authority figure who is always willing to help those in need.

In order to efficiently manage the facility, Rust keeps his Admin Keycard on him at all times. This item permits admission into any room ? this includes restricted areas that are impossible to enter otherwise. Rust is also able to initiate a Lockdown for any room. With complete access over the entire domain, there may be times where you need Rust's assistance to gain entry into certain sections inside Redwood Reserve.

Rust has the ability to issue Incarceration at any given time. Actively antagonizing him and/or constantly breaking in-game rules will result in you being removed from play. While he may overlook incompetence and forgive the occasional act of mischief, Rust will NOT tolerate the following:
  • Acts of vandalism
  • Stealing his Keycard or his hat
  • Causing bodily harm to others

[alink id="intro0"]
Return ?
[/alink id]
[a id]dates3[/a id]
? Here are your Dating Routes.​

? The Caretaker will ask you to help him rehabilitate four Special Cases. These Pok?mon are prominent NPCS and play an integral part to the story, and you will be given multiple opportunities to interact with them.

Each individual will keep track of their own Favor system when dealing with your character. The amount of Favor will affect a character's behavior towards you; the higher the value, the more benefits you will gain from them. Outside of appealing to an individual's personal interests and goals, the simplest way to obtain Favor is to successfully complete Errands that are provided on a character's route. It's up to you to decide whether you want to help everyone at the cost of spreading yourself too thin or if you want to dedicate yourself to a single person.

Favor can be rescinded by failing Errands or committing acts that go against a character and their ideals. Completing Errands in a certain way may also end up lowering your Favor with another character, so be wary of how you handle every situation and be sure to pay attention to how each character reacts. If your Favor with someone drops too low, you will be locked out of that character's route and they will either deny you their assistance and/or actively try to sabotage you until you redeem yourself.

Note: Rust will automatically incarcerate you if your Favor with him drops too low, so he should always be your top priority.​

Wistar / Raichu

? Gender: Male
? Moveset: Play Nice, Nuzzle, Charge, Light Screen.
? Nature: Mild.
? Characteristics: Alert to sounds.​

? As Professor Redwood?s lab-rat, Wistar has living at Redwood Reserve for years now. He frequently checks the entrance, eagerly waiting for his owner?s return. Nobody knows exactly what happened to the Professor.

His know-it-all attitude suggests confidence, but he can be a little obtuse in conversations and indecisive when it comes to making critical decisions. He has a habit of compulsively cosseting others, Officiousness aside, he is very easy-going and expresses any enmity even when wronged.

Wistar prefers helping rather than being helped. To preserve his sense of independence, he will always insist to prioritize the well-being of others. Instead of completing Errands for him, simply making an effort to befriend Wistar will satisfy him.

Wistar can short-circuit electrical locks with his electrical abilities. Though he is apprehensive about breaking and entering, he is comfortable helping anyone he truly trusts and giving them access into locked rooms. However, his feat doesn't always work and he cannot enter restricted areas.

Bunslee / Bonsly
? Gender: Male
? Moveset: Mimic, Tearful Look, Block, Covet
? Nature: Adamant.
? Characteristics: Takes plenty of siestas.​

? Bunslee was one of many Pok?mon that were selected to be genetically modified for commercial purposes. Unable to evolve naturally in spite of his old age, Grisaille's Research and Development team entrusted this specimen to the owner of Redwood Reserve.

This faux Bonsai seemingly lives in his own world, and his communication skills are practically non-existent. With sentences structured with only the syllables of his own name and his expressions seldom matching with his current mood, to say that it is impossible to fully understand this Rock-type is a gross understatement.

But his intelligence isn't as limited as his discussions. Perhaps to compensate for his shortcomings, Bunslee is savvy and observant. He has a peculiar way of scrounging for all sorts of odds and ends, and he is capable of re-purposing any man-made tools so they can be wielded by Pok?mon. He can even decipher Technical Machines to tutor new moves ? for a price, of course.

Bunslee disregards his speech impediment when bartering with other Pok?mon, and while it can be difficult to effectively negotiate demands and prices, it is possible to do business. The lack of currency means he will only trade for other items that are found throughout the Reserve. Those who run Errands for him will earn a freebie special discount.

Carolina / Altaria

? Gender: Female
? Moveset: Confide, Cotton Guard, Astonish, Sing
? Nature: Timid.
? Characteristics: Mischievous.​

? Things haven't been the same since Carolina lost her melodious voice. Even the luxury of her everlasting fame wasn't enough to save her passion and confidence. Her owner, a renowned coordinator, sought treatment from Redwood Reserve.

Though this bird may boast a prim and proper air, she is very indecorous. Her affinity for nonsensical non-sequiturs and off-color humor will occasionally shine through her usual shyness. And once someone gets her to ramble on about one of her outlandish topics or convey fulminations for individuals she harbors some enmity for, there's just no stopping her.

Having traveled throughout regions during her career as a performer, Carolina is familiar of Human culture. She even developed the skill to imitate their language ? albeit only to a certain extent. This skill makes her the only Pok?mon that the Caretaker can verbally comprehend.

Those who appeal to this aloof avian could make use of her talent to communicate with Humans and advocate for Pok?mon, allowing her to act as a sort of interpreter. She may even put in a good word for her friends when dealing with Rust ? a fine example of two birds with one stone. Of course, actively antagonizing this ex-performer may lead her to slander you and deliberately get you into trouble.

Chiyome / Greninja

? Gender: Female
? Moveset: Extrasensory, Double Team, Shadow Sneak, Spikes
? Nature: Sassy.
? Characteristics: Highly persistent.​

? Chiyome is the notorious bandit of Gainsboro. After years of terrorizing the streets, this amphibian was finally captured by Grisaille's Pok?mon Control Service and handed off to Redwood Reserve for rehabilitation.

Even after being confined at the Reserve for weeks, Chiyome simply refuses to change her ways and proves to be quite a handful with her constant mayhem and irreverence towards authority. With a cynical outlook on Humans, she takes every opportunity to question Rust?s motives. While she may painfully conceited with her pessimism, she can make valid points.

Though she seldom meddles with the domesticated, she always enjoys sharing gossip with anyone willing to listen. While this sneak has a habit of spewing misinformation just to invoke drama and in-fighting, she can sometimes help others discover Insight.

The Errands Chiyome provides are often so absurd and arbitrary, it is sometimes impossible to complete them. Ultimately, this facetious gadfly is apathetic of any good deeds that are done on her behalf and there aren't any immediate rewards when pursuing her route. For the most part, she pokes around around the Reserve doing who knows what. Those who turn a blind eye on her suspicious activities and let her run amok may find all this coming back to bite them in the future. However, Chiyome isn't exactly forgiving towards snitches.

[alink id="intro0"]
Return ?
[/alink id]
[a id]rule4[/a id]
? Be sure to follow Safety Protocols!​

? This Role-Play is Rated T.
Profanity, romance and violence should all be kept to a reasonable limit, and any content deemed inappropriate will be asked to be removed or edited. While this RP may explore darker themes, these ventures will be mild at most. I implore you to confront me in private first before you resort on grittier subjects.​

? Respect authority, and respect your peers.
Please avert actively provoking conflict and remember to be civil. Cooperation is essential for collaboration! If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Role-Play, contact me via private message or Discord.​

? Don't be tardy.
To keep the Role-Play at a consistent pace, players will be given eight days to make a new post for each session; the deadline for Joint Posts will extended up to twelve days as compensation. Failure to meet deadlines will mean you could lose your character slot. If you are struggling with post activity or you are unable to continue, please inform me as soon as possible.​

? Meta-gaming is strictly prohibited!
This Role-Play revolves around uncovering and collecting secrets. These secrets will be distributed via private messages, and you are only allowed to directly exchange information through the In-Character thread. To share any private information outside the IC Thread (e.g., forwarding PMs or using Discord/Skype) is considered Meta-gaming.​

? No Godmodding/Power-Playing.
Please adhere to the conditions of the story. If you have any ideas you truly wish to implement, contact me so we can reach a compromise. Do not control any character you have not created yourself unless given permission. All NPCs are to be controlled by me, so feel free to notify me if you wish to interact with any of them.​

[alink id="intro0"]
Return ?
[/alink id]
[a id]app5[/a id]
? Your application.​

REGISTRATION FORM
Information
Name: This can include any aliases. Do not use a surname.

Species: No Fak?mon, and no legendaries. The maximum height stands at 7'0" or roughly 215 centimeters, while the horizontal length is 45 inches wide ? your character will have a lot of difficulty going through doors should they exceed these limits. Be sure to take the abilities and weaknesses of your species into account!

Moveset: A maximum of four moves is allowed. Be aware while combat is not prohibited, it is actively discouraged. Moves should be retooled for the setting of this RP, and thus I will require a brief example of you intend to utilize your character's skills.

I will follow the rules of Gen VII, so refer to those guidelines when researching moves. There are no restrictions on how many Egg Moves you can have ? as long as it is legal, I will allow it. But you may only have one TM move learned at a time (this includes any TM moves you may learn throughout the RP).

Description: Information regarding your character's appearance and any unique characteristics they may possess. You may use either a picture and/or write a description.

Dossier: An assessment of your character's behavior and their background. If you wish to be concise, a total of three paragraphs will suffice. You are entitled to write this section through any method and style, so as long as I am able to understand the gist. (Note: I may provide prompts for this section for the sake of convenience.)

Everything on the application will be directly used as reference for Rust during the IC whenever he deals with your character ? invoking an unreliable narrator in a certain way could yield interesting outcomes.

[alink id="intro0"]
Return ?
[/alink id]

Last edited:

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
This section will be expanded over time.

dMUesnm.png
[a id]introx[/a id]OOC | IC | [alink id="faq6"]FAQ[/alink id]

[a id]faq6[/a id]
? Any questions?​

? So, what exactly do we do here?
The goal is simply to last the whole day at the Reserve without getting incarcerated or worse. Of course, there will be multiple facets to explore and various obstacles that will obstruct your character. There will many opportunities to discover the ulterior motives of certain characters, but you are not obligated to pursue these if you wish to stick to the basic plot and play safe ? ultimately, your decisions are your own but everything you do will affect the Role-Play.​

? Can I play as other characters?
You are only allowed to play as one character. Due to the setting of this Role-Play, any NPCs made by players are prohibited and cannot make an appearance in the IC outside any incorporeal events like flashbacks. As mentioned earlier, Rust and the Special Cases are to be controlled by the GM under normal circumstances.​

? What kind of setting does this Role-Play take place in?
Both Gainsboro, the region, and the exact time period are all deliberately left undisclosed for the sake of ambiguity. But the story does take place in the far future of the mainstream games in order to discourage any direct allusions to canonical characters and locations or past events ? you are still free to world-build for your application. The entirety of this Role-Play will take place strictly inside Redwood Reserve.​

? What's the stance on Evolution?
Your character cannot evolve at any point in this Role-Play, and you will be stuck with the species you've chosen for your character. On that note, Mega-Evolution is also not permitted.​

? What is Insight?
Insight is an optional mechanic that allows a character to affect the overarching plot. During certain moments, players will be given the opportunity to search for clues and secrets. Successfully discovering a secret will grant them Insight, and the player will receive a Private Message containing confidential information. These pieces will inform you on future events in order to give you an advantage, or reveal more about the cast.

While you can be keep any knowledge you obtain strictly to yourself, your character is technically free to share any secrets they find with their peers. Be careful about being too liberal with your gossips, for anyone could eavesdrop ? if certain people find out you've been snooping around too often or know way too much...​

? What is the Pok?gene System?
PGS is a device that modifies Pok?mon species. Due to the franchise's inconsistency when it comes to its own lore, some players may resort on improvising their character's inherent traits. The PGS allows the accommodation of ideas that could compromise canon material. Bear in mind that PGS only allows for slight alterations: I will not accept Fak?mon or fan-made variants, nor anything that seems far too drastic.

Note: You do not have to implement the Pok?gene System into your application.​

? How intelligent are Pok?mon?
Intelligence is ultimately up to the player's discretion. If you so wish, your character can act exactly like people ? bear in mind that this sort of behavior will be viewed as abnormal in-universe. A Pok?mon's intelligence should be based off individual experience, as opposed to being inherent to species.

Pok?mon share their own universal language. Domesticated Pok?mon can understand Human speech, but communication is strictly one-way as Humans are incapable of understanding Pok?mon beyond body language. Any and all telepathic abilities are completely prohibited from play.​

? Ugh, is this another Role-Play that's based on Cornered on the Market?
Well, at least it's not another sandbox Journey.

Outside sharing some mechanics from both Jauntier's Cornered on the Market and Who's Kiyo's Off the Menu, my Role-Play does not share the same universe as those two, and the story runs on different themes. Please view this as a standalone project and judge it as accordingly so.​
[alink id="introx"]
Return ?
[/alink id]

Last edited:
Years
I haven't been able to go through the whole thing yet, but as a note, feel free to change the tag to workshop later after you've assessed interest.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 14, 2018
I like it. Seems straight-forward, consider me interested. But I am wondering exactly how the PGS works, or what can be done via it.

Last edited:

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
This sounds pretty interesting. Life inside the day care. Very GM moderated. :o So technically it works even if you only interact with the NPCs?

While this RP is more character-driven, the narrative isn't restricted to just exchanges between the players and the NPCs. I don't know about anyone else, but I honestly cannot imagine having to JP with every player on every post and I do want players to be able to act independent during certain events.

Kitty said:
I... don't think legendaries are a good idea. Like, it would be an interesting concept but... the idea that they arrived there in a day care doesn't suit the legendary concept of said pokemon I guess?

The list of Legendaries I'm considering of allowing wouldn't apply to all of them ? I should have specified that from the start.

The size restriction would exclude a majority of the species classified as actual deities, such as Kyogre or especially Arceus. On the other hand, Mythical Pokemon like Mew or Celebi are also prohibited due to their inherent abilities being far too ridiculous, and inhibitions wouldn't work since that essentially strips the player of everything inherently unique for their character.

I'm mostly viewing Legendaries that are only addressed as such for their extreme rarity, as the setting for this Role-Play can potentially disregard that issue. Of course, I am running on the assumption anyone who is interested REALLY wants to play as a Latios or Zapdos over the other 700 choices. If there's no particular demand, I'll leave this be.

I like it. Seems straight-forward, consider me interested. But I am wondering exactly how the PGS works, or what can be done via it.

The exact science behind the PGS will never be addressed as most of the focus is solely on its satirical nature and the impact it leaves on the world this Role-Play takes place in. If you need an example though, just imagine some machine you throw Pokemon into and it comes out "hacked".

Slight alterations can be interpreted in any way. You can edit your character's physical traits for some customization, as long as it's not absurd ? honestly, there's no need to overthink on the PGS too much as its purpose is just accommodate the discrepancies people may have when it comes to interpreting different species. Some may want to play Pokemon like actual humans, while others want to go the extra step and research the creature they were based off of.

Years
I'd be interested in joining this. And I have an opinion on both of your questions. I believe Legendaries (and Mythicals) should be prohibited, simply due to the awe and reverence they inspire. If anyone is going to play a Legendary, it should be the GM. If you are considering a sixth NPC, maybe a Pokemon such as Celebi or Meloetta? I get the impression they'd be sort of haughty and stuck up, willing to use their great power to do favors for the lower class Pokemon who appease them.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
While progression might be shaky as I'll be drastically busy throughout the next couple of weeks, I am determined to make this.
I strongly recommend that you plan the RP to start after your period of busy-ness. I was recently in an RP where the GM was overwhelming by IRL within mere days of the RP's start, and cancelled the project. That kind of thing is disappointing to all involved, so postponing may be the wiser option.

Rust will NOT tolerate the following:
Stealing his Keycard or his hat
I see hat-theft prohibited, but I notice stealing his pants isn't listed. Making a mental note for later. >_>

As of now, I said Legendaries were prohibited. However, the setting for this Role-Play is already different from a typical PMD ? most of the themes focus on deconstructing the obsequious nature of Pokemon despite their "superior" abilities, and I feel certain Legendaries could be permitted to fit with this idea. Does this idea seem appealing? What are the drawbacks if I do decide to open up this as a possibility?
I say: allow small Legendaries, but not large ones.

I notice that the NPCs have movesets, which implies battles will happen. (The application form says battle is actively discouraged, but making movesets including damaging moves is kind of telling.) At that point you have to be concerned about legendaries having objectively better movesets than anyone else. Could be bothersome?

his expressions seldom matching with his current mood
Bunslee puts up a red flag or two for me. Being unable to communicate with him in both verbal and nonverbal ways is likely to make interaction with this NPC essentially unfeasible.

What are those three things with price tags on Bunslee's head, and what do they do? I never in my wildest dreams pictured Bonsly's green things to be detachable and regrowable. :0

Ultimately, this facetious gadfly is apathetic of any good deeds that are done on her behalf and there aren't any immediate rewards when pursuing her route.
If you make Chiyome's errands appear to be not worth pursuing because nothing comes of it, it's likely that indeed, no one will pursue them.

The Raichu and Altaria look like fun. :D If I had to suggest another species, it would be... Gastrodon. No one ever uses Gastrodon. You could play with Kangaskhan's mother-and-child thing going on too.

Cooperation is essential for collaboration!
If you'd like us to cooperate and interact with our fellow players instead of the NPCs only, consider introducing a mechanic or plot point to reinforce that.

Dossier: Everything on the application will be directly used as reference for Rust during the IC whenever he deals with your character ? invoking an unreliable narrator in a certain way could yield interesting outcomes.
I don't really follow what you mean to say with those last twelve words. Could you explain further? Sorry about that.

Don't forget to prompt players on what brought them to Redwood Reserve and why.

I will not accept Fak?mon or fan-made variants, nor anything that seems far too drastic.
What about type-shifted Pok?mon?

? Ugh, is this another Role-Play that's based on Cornered on the Market?
Huh, I actually didn't think it was. It seems unique to me.
Well, at least it's not another sandbox Journey.
And how.

P.S. Why the name "Out of Pocket"?

Last edited:

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
I'd be interested in joining this. And I have an opinion on both of your questions. I believe Legendaries (and Mythicals) should be prohibited, simply due to the awe and reverence they inspire. If anyone is going to play a Legendary, it should be the GM. If you are considering a sixth NPC, maybe a Pokemon such as Celebi or Meloetta? I get the impression they'd be sort of haughty and stuck up, willing to use their great power to do favors for the lower class Pokemon who appease them.

Interesting you want Legendaries to be GM-exclusive. However, I only wanted this option available for players for the sake of allowing more freedom. As GM, I actually have an easier time using characters with simpler abilities and mechanics.

I strongly recommend that you plan the RP to start after your period of busy-ness.

While I understand your concern, a GM's personal life is unpredictable and it will always take priority. That said, I am taking this opportunity to hone on my management with time and with people.

Afterglow Ampharos said:
I notice that the NPCs have movesets, which implies battles will happen.

I did say that moves should be retooled for this setting. Battles are only a possibility. They are not the focus and getting caught instigating a skirmish will result in your character getting incarcerated. Moves function like tools for utility, and there's always other methods to resolve predicaments. On that note, none of my NPCs are designed with combat in mind, and their movesets reflect their individual mechanics and quirks.

Afterglow Ampharos said:
Bunslee puts up a red flag or two for me. Being unable to communicate with him in both verbal and nonverbal ways is likely to make interaction with this NPC essentially unfeasible.

I'm not sure why you're immediately assuming there's absolutely no way to communicate with Bunslee, but rest assured, it is possible to converse with him. While his vocabulary may be severely limited, he can still understand others. There will also be plenty of cues and patterns to pick up on from his gestures and expressions, so communication isn't as one-way as you may think.

Here's a specific comparison for you: recall Jean-Georges from Off the Menu and the fact that he was a mute. Bunslee will play similar to him.

As for your question about what the price tags are. Well, they're just price tags wrapped around those green orbs. Really, they're just accessories related to Bunslee's status as the Role-Play's designated merchant.

Afterglow Ampharos said:
If you make Chiyome's errands appear to be not worth pursuing because nothing comes of it, it's likely that indeed, no one will pursue them.

The joke is that Chiyome is mocking the Favor system with her facetious Errands. I don't really care if nobody pursues her missions because that is not her primary mechanic. She is there to obstruct players, to help them find Insight and a reminder for players to pay close attention to their surroundings. Chiyome punishes any players who decide to play too safe or passive by forcing them to make a decision of either informing Rust about any of her ongoing crimes or ignoring her to avoid antagonizing her but at the risk of allowing her antics to disrupt your character in the near-future.

Afterglow Ampharos said:
If you'd like us to cooperate and interact with our fellow players instead of the NPCs only, consider introducing a mechanic or plot point to reinforce that.

Redwood Reserve is on the brink of shutting down, meaning everyone will get kicked and relocated to somewhere worse unless they work together to help the owner. There are also a couple of Errands that require more than one player, and some rehab sessions involve actively bonding and consulting with others.

Afterglow Ampharos said:
I don't really follow what you mean to say with those last twelve words.

An unreliable narrator is just that ? the narrative provided in the application is unreliable and it's not completely accurate to the character's actual nature, though it should still be relevant and consistent to the theme of your character. Essentially, all I am saying is that use of this convention is completely allowed and it is possible to deliberately trick Rust with some misinformation or exaggerations. This is mostly played for comedy, but depending on how you convey your application, it is actually possible for this to backfire or even benefit your character in the long-run.

Afterglow Ampharos said:
What about type-shifted Pok?mon?

Nope.

Afterglow Ampharos said:
P.S. Why the name "Out of Pocket"?

I just needed a title.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Honestly, I think I?m all for the legendary idea. I don?t think legendaries should be ?taboo? unless for very good reason ie. most journey RPs or the idea of being... overpowered. But I think it can work in a RP like this ? especially becoming something like... a ?tiny legendary? won?t seem to affect much in this sort of RP?

I?m looking forward to see how this would all play out. o:

Last edited:

metroid711

Thumbs up~
Years
Whoa this sounds like something i would actually join.
I agree on the legendary idea, just allow smaller ones like mythicals, excluding the larger legendaries such as the creation trio.
Count me in if you ever decide to do this.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
While I understand your concern, a GM's personal life is unpredictable and it will always take priority.
Yes, we're in agreement there, I was making a suggestion that lines up with your IRL taking priority: suggesting getting whatever busy event is going on out of the way before the RP proper begins.

I'm not sure why you're immediately assuming there's absolutely no way to communicate with Bunslee[...]
Here's a specific comparison for you: recall Jean-Georges from Off the Menu and the fact that he was a mute. Bunslee will play similar to him.
Jean-Georges used artwork and nonverbal communication.
But when I hear you describe Bunslee in the OP as having expressions that don't match his actual mood, that makes me think both verbal AND nonverbal communication would be a mess. :0

As for your question about what the price tags are. Well, they're just price tags wrapped around those green orbs. Really, they're just accessories related to Bunslee's status as the Role-Play's designated merchant.
Oh I wasn't asking about the price tags themselves:
What are those three things on Bunslee's head, and what do they do? I never in my wildest dreams pictured Bonsly's green things to be detachable and regrowable.

The joke is that Chiyome is mocking the Favor system with her facetious Errands. I don't really care if nobody pursues her missions because that is not her primary mechanic. She is there to obstruct players, to help them find Insight and a reminder for players to pay close attention to their surroundings. Chiyome punishes any players who decide to play too safe or passive by forcing them to make a decision of either informing Rust about any of her ongoing crimes or ignoring her to avoid antagonizing her but at the risk of allowing her antics to disrupt your character in the near-future.

Redwood Reserve is on the brink of shutting down, meaning everyone will get kicked and relocated to somewhere worse unless they work together to help the owner. There are also a couple of Errands that require more than one player, and some rehab sessions involve actively bonding and consulting with others.

An unreliable narrator is just that ? the narrative provided in the application is unreliable and it's not completely accurate to the character's actual nature, though it should still be relevant and consistent to the theme of your character. Essentially, all I am saying is that use of this convention is completely allowed and it is possible to deliberately trick Rust with some misinformation or exaggerations. This is mostly played for comedy, but depending on how you convey your application, it is actually possible for this to backfire or even benefit your character in the long-run.
Oh, this stuff is all pretty cool, thanks for explaining!

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Oh good/god another Cornered Style RP

Oh man, this sounds... off. I mean that in the best way. Augments? Secrets? Snooping around? Talk about my interested piqued. Something slightly sinister always seemed more interesting than being told straight up something is messed up, This all assumes of course there is something wrong here. Maybe it's the holiday getting into my mind.

You wanted a general interest check, and that's all I can give right now unfortunately, but the premise is A+ to me.

Also dating birds.

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
Literally a month later

Just coming in to announce to anyone who is actually still interested in this, I am still planning to work on this. I didn't anticipate my work being so relentless, but thankfully it's calming down and with the holidays coming, I should definitely have time.

I'm changing the tag from [Interest Check] to [Workshop].

As of now, the only concept I'm able to share is the idea of introducing RNG mechanics through a potential NPC — a Gothitelle fortune teller who will haphazardly perform spells that can either provide special bonuses or place curses on player characters. I plan on making this character neutral — i.e., it won't be possible to influence this character the same way you would for the "dates". My reason for this is that this NPC's primary function is to draw out a bit of chaos and emphasize on the RP's variables.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in some RNG nonsense.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
I'll help with workshopping!

If I could summarize my impressions after reading through, it's that, while you present your idea impeccably and imply understanding of your own mechanics, you don't communicate them in a manner I'd also be able to understand. While this is still a work-in-progress, there are some aspects you should focus on fleshing out for the final draft. Mainly, elaborating on the setting, and exemplifying how mechanics are to be applied; things can sound great in context, but how would they really work out in practice? And once you answer the latter especially, you can smooth out anything that could create dissonance with what you want this roleplay to be.

Here are my main questions after reading:
  1. What's Redwood Reserve as a setting? What's on the property, and how expansive is it? What else can you communicate about it in the planning stages, without a visualization like a map?
  2. Can you more thoroughly explain how you plan to incorporate missions in Out of Pocket without relying on previous examples like COTM?
  3. To what extent are you comfortable "sharing" the world with players; how much could others introduce that isn't already part of the mystery you've personally got concocted?
  4. Are the tasks alluded to early in the OP actually dependent on the four NPC characters (i.e. the "Events")?
  5. Taking an in-character perspective: Why are player characters required to "rehabilitate" other Pokemon when they themselves are Pokemon at the Day Care for generally that same reason? (If there's an "intrigue" behind that, it's far less general than the tasks earlier becoming "games," and I'm certain at least one snarky character would explicitly question this themselves.)
  6. Could you more thoroughly explain how NPC-player interaction will work -- who will seek out who and how?
  7. How would Insight be implemented in-character? How will players know when they're dealing with it?

...and here are just general observations and feedback made mostly on the fly:
Spoiler:

Back