• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I give Best Wishes another go?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I watched the first few episodes when the series was new, and didn't care much for it. Contrast this with XY, which I definitely liked from the beginning. I've gathered from quick online research that most fans consider BW to be the worst series.

What say you?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Try it again if you feel like it, but don't force yourself. The Episode N arc is probably what you'd actually want to watch, as it has actual plot to it, but apart from that it's definitely the worst season since Hoenn. Ash's league defeat in BW is especially insulting, and honestly apart from that single arc it never really goes anywhere.

If you didn't like it the first time around, it's doubtful that time will have changed your mind though.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Compared to the series before it, Black and White is awful by comparison. However, in light of Sun and Moon?s current plight, Black and White?s status as the worst series is frankly over. It can be cringe worthy at times but the series still sticks to the age old script of traveling around to challenge Gyms and enter the League. Ash catches a ton of Pokemon in BW, which is frankly good from my perspective but the companions, notably Iris, get shafted big time. N arc and the filler Decalore Islands are not bad seeing as Charizard, Clair and Alexa(who foreshadows Kalos) all make it worthwhile.

Give it another go is the TLDR answer. It can?t be as bad as SM.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
If you have 'force' yourself to go back to something, you should trust your initial instinct of what pushed you away to begin with.

It's most probably not incorrect.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Early on into Best Wishes, I noticed they reverted Ash's skills to that of a rookie trainer like he hasn't been through Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh already. They even play on it with Iris' cringeworthy "You're such a kid" line. Contrast this with XY, in which we see Ash portrayed as a skilled and experienced trainer in his battle with Clemont in the first episode. XY was a complete breath of fresh air after the terror that was BW.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Early on into Best Wishes, I noticed they reverted Ash's skills to that of a rookie trainer like he hasn't been through Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh already. They even play on it with Iris' cringeworthy "You're such a kid" line. Contrast this with XY, in which we see Ash portrayed as a skilled and experienced trainer in his battle with Clemont in the first episode. XY was a complete breath of fresh air after the terror that was BW.

Don't expect a progressive narrative in the anime. I read from someone here the plan for the anime is for Ash to endlessly roam each new game region with new friends from said region and Pikachu and new regional teams. Nothing else changes. Ever. Not his age, lack of personality, nothing else.

Status quo the anime.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
If you want to rewatch BW, go right on ahead. Just don't force yourself to do so.

And besides, as pointed out above by a few users, BW's definitely a good show compared to SM, since at least it actually stuck to the core formula of what the show is supposed to be about, actually LET Ash pursue his goal of becoming a Pok?mon Master, instead of forcing Ash out of his goal to basically go to school, which, BTW, it's been made very clear since School of Hard Knocks that Ash didn't even NEED to go to school to be a good trainer, which literally contradicts that bit. Now, if Ash actually WINS the Alola league (and based on what that Professor said in Episode 43, there WILL be an Alola league soon), then maybe things will be different.

Back