• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: First hack you've ever played?

Years
My first Rom Hack was Shiny Gold. I remember back in 2009 I was looking for a hidden Firered track on Youtube when I saw a Shiny Gold video in the related section. My first thought was "There was a Shiny Gold?" Curiously that's how I discovered Rom Hacking and emulators.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 5, 2015
My first hack was Pokemon Glazed. A friend told me I needed to play the hacks and told me to get glazed. I haven't looked back since.

Humble Hook

Because the Hook brings you back ~
Years
  • Age 30
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2016
I first tried to play a fake Light Platinum, and doing some research led me to this lovely forum, where i found Liquid Crystal. LaZ's masterpiece quickly made me fall in love with hacks.

Years
The first hack I played was Flora Sky, which I stumbled upon before joining Pokecommunity. Back then I was very interested in ROM hacking because I wanted to make my own Pokemon hack, a Hoenn-based game with the same story, but with changes to the graphics and the Pokemon that you could catch in the game.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 22, 2016
Ahh yes... First ROM hack I've ever played is defiantly Pokemon Ruby Destiny - Reign Of Legends. I remember I was so exited that you could catch all the legendaries in this strange 'Pokemon ROM', I remember Angeallen being the coolest thing as well as Shadow Lugia. I found this ROM on a website called Vizzed. A site that you can play hundreds of retro ROMs on.

I remember after I found out about RD RoL and played it, I found Pokemon Chaos Black. I was fascinated how people were able to hack a pokemon game and put it on an entirely new cartridge. I bought a copy of Chaos black a few years ago on ebay for 20$ xD. Boy, was i ripped off.
But to this day, for me, there's this super mysterious aspect all around chaos black and other hacks in cartridges.

I've played Ruby Destiny Reign of Legends about 25 times now... And right now i'm nuzlocking it as I type this :3
I've been the biggest fan of DestinedJaGold since I first found out who made RoL.
And I am honored to say, I am currently mapping tons of Kanto maps for DJG's newest ROM hack he's working on, Pokemon RD - Broken Timeline.

It's so nice to look back at the memories I've created with RoL c: This is a wonderful thread.
And I hope to create more memories with upcoming amazing ROM hacks c:
Have a nice day everyone :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 31, 2023
First hack I played was probably chaos black. I was like what the heck are all these fake pokemon Ive never seen

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Mine was Pokémon Brown. It was (embarrassingly enough) why I made the account in the first place. I was amazed 'Kip' wasn't already taken. :P I can't remember if I ever completed it, I have the save somewhere. Close second was ShinyGold - I spent so long on that game...

Years
The first hack I ever played was Shiny Gold, I think beta 3. I wanna say it was around 2005 or 2006. My friend and I were looking up glitches and stuff online, and eventually we found out about ROM hacks, and I found Shiny Gold later that day. I remember that it was impossible to find a download at first, and I was using a really crappy computer and I don't even remember what emulator, so when I finally got it going it was laggy as sin and I couldn't save. My friends thought I was some super hacker or something when I put it on one of their computers. Good times, gooood times.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
I've never actually played through an entire rom hack, but my very first was Prism. I had found it only for th meboy java application and so I threw it on my phone and played the hell out of it. Eventually the phone got thrown into a toilet by my little bro, so i never actually finished it.

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
Years
I feel old seeing people say Glazed or even Shiny Gold. The first hack I played was either Fukemon or World Famous Talking Cactus.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
the first rom hack ive played is shinygold and now few years later im playing my second hacked rom liquid crystal

AceRoku

Dev of Pokemon Flare
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 21, 2015
My love for pokemon games started when I discovered ROM games. My first played pokemon rom hack is ruby destiny. I then got curious on rom hacking that I ended up studying it.

Kudos to all!

sword

LETS HACK.
Years
the first rom I played was red but after gen 4 released i started to surf for platinum then i found light platinum thats my first rom hack and after that I came to know about hacking and thats when my hacking life started.

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
It was either chaos black or quartz. don't remember which. think it was chaos black though.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
The first hack I played was actually a DS one, called Bloody Platinum. Consequently, I found out that GBA has a wide variety of hacks, the first one I played being the famous Shiny Gold.

Back