• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The library vs. your own books

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Do you still go to the library and get books? Do you ever read those books in the length of time they give you? Do you prefer buying the books and reading them at your own time?

My dad goes all the time, but I prefer buying books. I can't read in the extended time limit they provide you with. It feels different for me to be reading library books over ones I bought. So, I prefer buying them because I'm not so weary of the restrictions given by libraries. I'm also a pretty slow reader, and I tend to read books rather slowly. It gives my brain a chance to process everything. It also depends on the book I'm actually reading as well.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
I prefer having my own copies which I can read over and over again without any time restriction. For me, the experience is more therapeutic and I can absorb the information at leisure without feeling the pressure of a due date.

Years
Due dates don't bother me since I'm actually a really quick reader and if I like a book enough will generally knock it out in 2-3 days. But I still prefer to buy my own books. That way I always have them there to read again and again without other people damaging them.

Years
I live walking distance from a library and I know a librarian who's told me that if I want a book they don't have all I have to do is suggest it to the library and they're probably get it. So, really, I could get nearly any normal book for free if I'm willing to wait a while. But I don't. I buy my own books. I guess I feel like I'll forget I read them if I don't have the book around to remind me or something.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
I prefer buying them and reading at my own pace, books are special and I don't want to rush through. Though my library does have a borrow section where you don't even have to check it out and just return when your done.

Problem is with buying books, you could be disappointed. I asked for one book, and I didn't really like they writing style at all, as it is Doctor Who, still gonna try to finish it. And while I was at a book fair, I was reading a chapter out of a book, decided not to buy it, later found out it was the 2nd book to a book I already had bought, so not sure what if I'm gonna read it or not.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
as most others have said I buy all my own books. I used to go the library and the lengths were never an issue but I love cultivating a library of books. I don't read nearly as much as I used to these days (takes me a couple months to get through any book that's longer than, say, 300 pages nowadays) so the due dates would definitely prove difficult to me now. or perhaps would provide incentive for me to read more... hmm.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I have only taken one book out of the library over the course of several years. I'm very particular about what I read, so I know that if I want a book, it's a safe bet to buy it. (This also works because all the book that I've bought in recent times are by my favorite author.)

I'm not much of a fan of library books because I like taking care of books, and other people don't feel the same. So I get annoyed whenever I'm reading a book and the binding is split, or pages are falling out or are bent. At least with my own books, I know who is handling them and where they've been.

Due dates aren't an issue for me, since I figure out how many pages I'd have to read a day in order to get the book done in time.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
Due dates aren't an issue for me because I read pretty quickly, but I still buy my own books. I find book buying to be therapeutic actually (and very addictive...) and I like being able to have a book to re-read whenever I like, or to lend to a friend if I love it. Plus I love being able to fill my bookshelf up 8)

Years
I prefer buying books, although I do love the library and used to borrow books from them very often when I was in my teens. Probably because most of my spare time back then was spent in libraries either reading or playing video games.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
I happen to enjoy both options. There are times when I buy more books for myself, like say I am going on a trip and I need books to pass the time. Course I also like checking out books from a library. Also the public libraries I have been to tend to have Friends of the Library Book Sales, where donated books can be bought.

Bay

Years
Buying books gives me the freedom to read at my own pace. Lately I prefer buying them digitally (e-books) so that I can read it immediately from my phone if I'm away and wanted to do something, like while waiting in line.

I used to borrow some books from the library before and I can be able to finish, but depends how long the book is and if I can squeeze in some reading time. There have been occasions where I wasn't able to, though to be fair one of the books I borrowed had almost a thousand pages and I think almost halfway through I was bored of the story.

Years
I haven't gone to the library in years. I used to go a lot when I was a kid and would read a bunch of books every week, but since I don't really have the time for that any more I prefer to buy my own books. I also really like the look of book-lined shelves so I like having mine filled up, heh.

Back