• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

How to write a childish/child-like character?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
This is probably the worst place to ask, but I don't know where else to go. :c

Does anyone know the best way to write a character who's childish/child-like?

I know children often have a sense of wonder and like to ask many questions. I'm asking because I have two characters who are childish/child-like. I want to be able to separate different traits for each of them too. Like, I don't want them both to be full of wonder. I also don't want to just give them interests that are childish/child-like either. I want to make them seem that way because of their different, varying special needs.

Bay

Years
I'm assuming the childish/child-like characters are teenage/adult age and not younger, hence why you're asking? The most obvious answer would be doing some research. You mentioned special needs, so I guess checking out articles and such on that topic. Maybe movies too, but sometimes it can be portrayed wrong so take that with caution, haha.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I'm assuming the childish/child-like characters are teenage/adult age and not younger, hence why you're asking? The most obvious answer would be doing some research. You mentioned special needs, so I guess checking out articles and such on that topic. Maybe movies too, but sometimes it can be portrayed wrong so take that with caution, haha.

Actually, I tried doing research... but I can't seem to find much. :c I have watched a movie called "The Other Sister", which is where the inspiration came from for this story. Both characters have a lot of independence. It does depend on the situation, but in most cases they have a good level of independence when hanging out and such. I do know that children also like to be independent and helpful as they get older or reach a certain age. They like to be able to do things themselves and not have their parents/guardians help them.

I also know that most times, and this is what others have told me who I asked, that children tend to get upset if something doesn't go their way. They also tend to be really bubbly and giggly at times.

And yes, the main lead is 21 and the love interest is 22. So, they are just getting into their adulthood basically. If it helps, the main character has a mild to moderate form of autism. She's not as childish/child-like, but she has some tendencies of one. The love interest has PDD-NOS, ADHD and intellectual/developmental disabilities. He is more childish/child-like than she is, but again, he also has a certain level of independence as well. He doesn't need to he supervised at every little second. He also has a part-time job at the grocery store as well. He's social, but he often lacks the ability to understand socialization.

Years
For the love interest, I know firsthand that ADHD gives you this extreme permeating antsy feeling, and for children (who are naturally hyper in everything they do) or rather, childish traits, it would be like a natural jumpiness that won't go away and a comical disinterest in doing one thing and I guess a curiousness that just won't quit. That's my go at it anyway, lol.

Years
I have an idea for the main character who has autism. You said she is less childish, but she still is, right? Well, since she has some social problems, people might not understand her as much and it would always make her cry. Basically, a crybaby. The autism could also cause her to have trouble with the love interest, as in having trouble approaching him. If she asks a lot of questions, the autism could prevent her from getting the answers (is she has social difficulties or speech problems) which in turn could make her cry more.

I don't know how childish you want the main to be, so if it is not much, I think the asking questions thing and the crybaby thing could work out.

As for the love interest, the PDD-NOS could cause him some of the same problems (speech and social problems from autism), and it could cause the same outcome of the main. However, when approaching people, he might come off as too playful, like a child. Like you said, children are giggly and bubbly and such, so why not put that into his character? His ADHD could coincide with his giggling and playfulness, making him feel even more childish. I know you said you want the love interest to be more childish than the main, so these were some ideas that you can use if it's enough, or take out if it's too much. I hope this helped :).

Vagrant Pixels

Pixel Artist
Years
If I were in your place, why not browse the web (YouTube especially) for videos of children being interviewed? Any topic could do.

But this is option number two, whereas the more preferable thing would be to interact with children in real life, and just observe. Observe how they think and behave, what comes out of their mouths first, and what they seem to omit.
I'm sure that once you find the right child interaction, your mind will just 'click' on it, and your intuition will do all the rest. "Yep, this is the one I was looking for."

Back