• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Showcase] The Slawterhouse: Pixelated

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Over the past few weeks I've endeavoured to learn to create pixel art, specifically to create tiles and tilesets for use in fangames.

Everything here is free for public, non-commercial use although I would appreciate a link to your project so I can see my creations in use.

All of these tiles along with any subsequent ones will be uploaded to deviantArt first and that will typically be more up to date than a forum thread.

My dA gallery is at: https://slawter666.deviantart.com/

Now without further ado, the tiles:

Runescape-based tiles:
My first creation are platforms based on the arena where you fight Telos in Runescape 3.
_pixel__runescape__octagon_platforms__telos____v1_by_slawter666-dc1mqn1.png

The next is a hut based on those on Mazcab:
_pixel__runescape__mazcab_hut_by_slawter666-dc2awj1.png

My biggest creation is a tileset based on the Frozen floors in Daemonheim:
The map:
_pixel__runescape__daemonheim_frozen_floors_by_slawter666-dc32mks.png

The tileset:
_pixel__runescape____daemonheim_frozen_floor_tiles_by_slawter666-dc32n76.png

If you want to use these tiles in a ROM hack you will need to use an image/palette editting program to convert the colours to a multiple of 8 first.

Any feedback to help me improve is welcome.

Enjoy!

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Telos Arena Battleground:
_pixel__telos_platform_battleground__pokemon_by_slawter666-dc36dfd.png

I've tried to create a battleground based on the Telos battle arena although I feel like the perspective is not quite right and the "night sky" background was just a quick thing as that was not my primary focus.

If anyone has any experience creating battlegrounds and could offer up some advice to help me improve it would be most appreciated.

Ice sanctuary:
_pixel__ice_sanctuary_by_slawter666-dc3dnpq.png

This tile initially started as the Ice Sanctuary from Digimon World however the design changed organically as I was making it.
I've managed to keep it within a palette of 15 colours (+2 for the checkerboard background) so it should be ready to use for anyone making a ROM hack.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Honestly can't believe no one's responded to this yet.

If you've only been dedicated to learning pixel art for a few weeks now, it's clear you're very talented. All the assets translate very well and have a very authentic look to them. Especially the Rocket Tower. I can easily see that being right in one of the old school Pokemon games.

Excited to see what you come out with next here. You certainly have a lot of potential! :)

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Honestly can't believe no one's responded to this yet.

If you've only been dedicated to learning pixel art for a few weeks now, it's clear you're very talented. All the assets translate very well and have a very authentic look to them. Especially the Rocket Tower. I can easily see that being right in one of the old school Pokemon games.

Excited to see what you come out with next here. You certainly have a lot of potential! :)

Thank you, that means a lot coming from someone who does such stunning pixel art work.

Anime Pokécenter

_pixel__b_w_anime_pokecenter_by_slawter666-dc3pv69.png

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Nemesis Tree

_pixel__nemesis_tree_by_slawter666-dc3rjrc.png

Based on Darksilvania's Nemesis Seed:

Spoiler:

I've found creating a twisted tree to be very challenging and I'm not overly happy with it but it was good fun, and good practice.

As this tile is based on Darksilvania's work I request that you ask his permission if you'd like to use this tile for your project, I am fine with it otherwise.

Any tips for making this look more like a twisted tree would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Years
Progress is looking good. A tip I would give to draw a shape/object, in this case the twisted tree, is to use references. Find the general shape, find images online and with pixel art personally what I like to do is find other pixel artists and observe how their twisted tree would look like. This way you can really see what it would look like in pixel art style. Maybe Final Fantasy?

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Progress is looking good. A tip I would give to draw a shape/object, in this case the twisted tree, is to use references. Find the general shape, find images online and with pixel art personally what I like to do is find other pixel artists and observe how their twisted tree would look like. This way you can really see what it would look like in pixel art style. Maybe Final Fantasy?

Thanks for the advice, I try to work closely with the references I have. With my previous tiles I had a pretty clear idea in my head of how the tile would look from the perspective that the Pokémon games have but I couldn't properly visualise what the Nemesis tree would look like and I'm yet to find a twisted tree done in pixel art that I felt could really help, though perhaps I just need to spend a bit more time looking.

Gen IV style assorted overworlds
_pixel__gen_iv_style_assorted_overworlds_by_slawter666-dc3wn2g.png

From left to right:
Kratos (God of War)
Yugi Moto (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
Liara T'Soni (Mass Effect)
Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

I had a lot of fun with these and they turned out better than I expected, however I found it difficult to fit detail in such a limited space without it looking like nonsense. I also struggled somewhat with Edward's hair.

Note Yugi's hair is slightly editted from the sprite in Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards.

I used both Keh-Ven's overworld base and Kyle-Dove's overworlds as a reference and base sprites.

https://keh-ven.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-Overworld-Bases-128361333
https://kyle-dove.deviantart.com/art/Hoenn-People-Overworlds-WIP-135091898

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Octagon platform variations:

_pixel__octagon_platform_variations_by_slawter666-dc41n4w.png

I've adapted my Octagon platforms to represent various types/elements and will update this with more variations over time.
I'm not too sure on the "caution tape" variation as it looks very busy but I'm really pleased with how the other two turned out.

Darkmeyer house

_pixel__darkmeyer_house_by_slawter666-dc41nik.png

Based on the houses in Darkmeyer in Runescape 3.

Darkmeyer is essentially a Vampire city lit under constant moonlight hence the purplish blue colouration of the roof. The runes were not in the reference images but I've added them for variation.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
World Gate

_pixel__world_gate_by_slawter666-dc46jjg.png

I've taken inspiration from the World Gate from Runescape and added 17 gemstone slots, one for each pokemon type.
The final iteration is my attempt at a portal "orb" into space.

The gem-less (and portal-less) version is ready to use for a ROM hack but if you want to use the gemstone variant you will need to get creative with palette usage.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
i can't say much critique about pixel art but this looks really cool :d especially since you've only been doing this for the past few weeks oml

i think the rocket building is my fave so far, apart from that gem-less portal gate.

Thank you, I'm really pleased with how they've turned out too.

Costume store

_pixel__costume_store_by_slawter666-dc49ulf.png

According to Google translate "服" means "clothes" in Japanese.

I've added a screen door effect to one variation to make it look as if the building is housing a giant advertising screen.

The Pikachu is a pixel over of the picture found here:
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/File:.028_Pikachu_&_Zachary_28_44_48.jpg

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
KFC

_pixel__kfc_by_slawter666-dc4v803.png

I've tried to work within a limited palette and managed to keep the first two tiles within 16 colours (including background colours) hence the lack of detail on the windows, which is also the reason for the shutter/blind variation.

I've also included the Australian recolour, however that doesn't fit within 16 colours due to keeping the Colonel logo white rather than yellow.

Last edited:
Years
Don't be afraid to use existing colours that you already have in your palette, you can experiment with the other colours. For tiles, I assume background colours do not count as much as they should. Regardless, with what I've done and fiddling around with your colours I was able to reduce the count to 12 colours (14 including background). This means I've got 2 whole other colours to experiment with and maybe add some more detail to the tile.

This is your original:
2tyUukG.png

This is my edited:
QH0H9XG.png

Comparison GIF:
SYD0A9U.gif

Few things I did was get rid of some colours that I felt weren't contributing as much as I wanted them to, for example the multiple red shades on the roof that I found did not provide enough contrast. Or that the KFC text had a darker red shade that I thought can be the same as the dark shades already in the piece.
Another thing is the getting rid of the dark outline and replacing it with the dark turquoise shade, you may or may not want to do this because it all depends on your style or the look you are going for. As you can see the Colonel logo used the dark outline, and I experimented and replaced it with the dark blue/turquoise shade and it had the same effect as the original. There's a few other things you can see I did but I hope you get the gist of it.
So, I challenge you to experiment with colours and play around with your palette and instead of adding more and more shades and colours, you look at what you can do and how efficient you can be (considering ROM hacking has colour restrictions).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Don't be afraid to use existing colours that you already have in your palette, you can experiment with the other colours. For tiles, I assume background colours do not count as much as they should. Regardless, with what I've done and fiddling around with your colours I was able to reduce the count to 12 colours (14 including background). This means I've got 2 whole other colours to experiment with and maybe add some more detail to the tile.

Few things I did was get rid of some colours that I felt weren't contributing as much as I wanted them to, for example the multiple red shades on the roof that I found did not provide enough contrast. Or that the KFC text had a darker red shade that I thought can be the same as the dark shades already in the piece.
Another thing is the getting rid of the dark outline and replacing it with the dark turquoise shade, you may or may not want to do this because it all depends on your style or the look you are going for. As you can see the Colonel logo used the dark outline, and I experimented and replaced it with the dark blue/turquoise shade and it had the same effect as the original. There's a few other things you can see I did but I hope you get the gist of it.
So, I challenge you to experiment with colours and play around with your palette and instead of adding more and more shades and colours, you look at what you can do and how efficient you can be (considering ROM hacking has colour restrictions).

Thank you, I've found this advice really useful and I've tried to implement in and be more efficient with my latest tiles.

Archaelogical Dig - Rockface door

_pixel__archaelogical_dig___rockface_door_by_slawter666-dc50mny.png

The idea behind this was to create a temple door, built into the rockface, which has been uncovered by an archaelogical dig.

With the pillars the palette contains 14(+2 bg) colours, without it there are 10(+2 bg).

I like the concept but I'm not overly happy with the execution and I'm open to suggestions.

The rockface tiles are from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
The grass tile is an editted version of DaybreakM's grass tiles.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I think your art is cool. I plan on making a rom hack soon, and with some of these places, I'll credit you.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
With the Telos battle screen, I think the angle might look a bit off because of how the Pokemon sit. Might be worth just skewing it by a pixel or two to the right.

You're doing pretty well for someone whos only been doing it a few weeks tho

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
i like what you have shown here, keep on improving! :)

With the Telos battle screen, I think the angle might look a bit off because of how the Pokemon sit. Might be worth just skewing it by a pixel or two to the right.

You're doing pretty well for someone whos only been doing it a few weeks tho

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Jijimon's House

_pixel__jijimon_s_house_by_slawter666-dcdrc7c.png

My rendition of Jijimon's House from Digimon World on the PlayStation 1.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Various File City buildings

_pixel__file_city_buildings__digimon_world__by_slawter666-dcel7zs.png

I've created the item bank, toilet and restaurant from Digimon World on the PS1.

Last edited:
Back