• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The American Politics Discussion Thread

Guest123_x1

I have been getting tired of this election season and can't wait for it to be over, but at the same time worry about the outcome.
What good has Obama done to America, other than:
  • Cause food and energy prices to skyrocket, doing nothing to combat the rampant speculation on the commodity exchanges like he said he would do during his 2008 campaign?
  • Enact a health insurance mandate that is really about helping boost insurance company profits?
  • Ram through a financial "reform" package that is so watered-down, that it escalated, rather than abated, Wall Street greed and recklessness, and allowed our already too-large megabanks to get even larger, when such institutions should have been broken up, like Ma Bell was in '83?
  • Continued our utterly ridiculous open-borders policy that allows illegal immigrants and terrorists to enter our country unabated?
  • Passed even more unfair NAFTA-style trade agreements, even though he said he opposed them during his 2008 campaign?
  • Threatened huge tax increases on the middle class and poor with schemes such as Cap-and-Trade and his strangulation of the energy industry, while still allowing mega-corporations like Verizon to spin off parts of their operations without paying any taxes? (I was one of the millions of Verizon rural landline customers divested to Frontier Communications using tax-dodging techniques, and I'm sure those of you in Northern New England know how a similar deal with FairPoint turned out.)
  • Continue Bush's warmongering, despite promising to end the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq?
What will Mitt Romney do to make things better?
On the first question, I have expected many of the things I listed above to happen under Obama the moment he was elected. On the second, Mitt likely won't be that much different from Obama-I expect he may continue many of Obama's policies, just as Obama continued (and escalated) many of Bush's policies.

Most of the campaign advertising on broadcast outlets in Michigan have been over the six statewide proposals, five of which are to amend the state Constitution. The official ballot language and my commentaries for each are included in the spoiler (which I used to reduce the post length).

Here's how I plan on voting, aside from the Presidency and U.S. Senate for Michigan:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
THE FIRST ELECTION RETURNS ARE IN!!!

Dixville Noth, New Hampshire
Barack Obama: 5 votes
Mitt Romney: 5 votes

I'm still looking to see if there's any news out of Hart's Location, yet.

UPDATE:
Hart's Location, New Hampshire
Barack Obama: 23 votes
Mitt Romney: 9 votes
Gary Johnson: 2 votes

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
We're talking a lot about the Presidential race, but control of Congress will also be determined tomorrow night.

It looks like the Republicans will keep the House, but the Senate is unpredictable. While the Republicans looked set to take back the Senate a year ago, a number of gaffes by GOP Senatorial candidates has renewed hope for the Democrats. A 50-50 Senate is likely. Add the fact that Maine will likely elect a Senator who is not a Democrat or a Republican, and things get even more unpredictable.
In that case, should Obama win, looks like nothing will be accomplished.

Similarly in the unlikely reverse of Romney win but Democrat controlled House and Senate. The Democrats have pledged similarly.

You win everything or nothing happens. They should all lose their jobs

Years
I went and voted about an hour ago at my local voting place in town. I mentioned in an earlier post that I registered to vote for this year's election. I gave my vote to Obama-Biden since my Mom would kill me if I voted for Romney, whom she hates with a passion.

We also had a major Senate race in my state with Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren. I went for Scott Brown because unlike Warren, he would compromise with the other side on things.

In all fairness, if Obama or Romney win, they'll never get anything done if the House and Senate remain where they are. Status Quo election.

Jaegir

Yes
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 22, 2015
I voted straight democrat in Wisconsin. I know Romney isn't a traditional Republican and rarely catered to the religious right, however, the fact he catered at all while the evangelicals ignored the fact he's Mormon and largely socially liberal is disheartening. I support gay marriage, equal rights for women, and socialized healthcare (we need to stop acting like a third world country), Obama got my vote

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I know Romney isn't a traditional Republican and rarely catered to the religious right, however, the fact he catered at all while the evangelicals ignored the fact he's Mormon and largely socially liberal is disheartening.
If he didn't, there would be no way that he'd be the nominee right now. Which is sad, but them's the rules.

Years
Going to start sharing this graphic from another forum I go to.

First states are called (predictably)...

Vote12.png

race-1.png

WV and SC called. No surprises.

Vote12-3.png

race-3.png

GA called.

Vote12-4.png

race-4.png

AR goes Mittens.

Vote12-6.png

race-6.png

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Oh my god never stop sharing these Netto

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
...forget NBC, I'll watch the Shrine Maiden version of the race instead. I'm loving these.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
By the way what sources are you using to look at electoral votes? Between Tom and I we have like 5 different sources and they all say different things haha.

Guest123_x1

While Obama has been declared winner in Michigan, 51 to 47%, and Stabenow also declared winner for her U.S. Senate reelection race in a landslide, the nationwide popular vote is, as I'm writing this 27.1 million for Romney, 25.8 for Obama, and around 716,000 for the minor party candidates. (from WXYZ-TV Detroit's web site)

As for the Michigan state proposals: with 15% of precincts reporting, Proposal 1 (the Emergency Financial Manager referendum) appears to be passing, while the other five (collective bargaining, renewable energy, home care, supermajority tax increase requirement, the border-crossing bridge proposal) appear on their way to defeat. However, I'm expecting the results for these to invert (Prop 1 failing, the others all passing) later in the night. (results from WJBK-TV Detroit's web site).

Years
AZ (finally) goes Mitt.

Vote12-13.png

race-13.png

Obama take MN

Vote12-14.png

race-14.png

MO goes Mitt

Vote12-15.png

race-15.png

Elisabeth Warren is giving her Victory speech now. Good stuff. Also Virginia's Tim Kane won the VA senate race according to MSNBC projections.

Mitt takes ID and NC, Obama takes CA, HI, and WA

Obama nears the finish line...

Vote12-16.png

race-16.png

Ohio goes to Obama, Obama wins re-election!

The map:

Vote12-18.png

race-18.png

Last edited:
Years
I'm mixed about Obama winning. I am firmly against the Obamacare mandate that you have to have Health Insurance by 2014 or you'll be punished monetary. That's like pointing a gun to my head and forcing me to pay for something I don't use at all.

I'm also disappointed that Scott Brown lost to Elizabeth Warren. I fear that Warren will be very partisan and not compromise. At least Scott Brown did something with the Democrats. We're screwed.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Oh, didn't see this thread.

Thank you Ohio (as well as the other states that contributed). <3 Much love.

Shame Obama didn't win popular vote but there's votes still being counted.

Back