• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Questions & Answers / "Where do I post this?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Firstly thank u user101 and im sorry for all the questions but i have another which is more different
I dont have enough space for all the clubs im in, in my profile is there a character limit that i gotta stay in?

I think on some profile fields there's a certain character limit that you gotta stay in, have you tried filling them all in at one time?

A tip I would like to give you is this: You can use [title][/title] tags to save room in your signature...if putting all of your clubs on your signature is something you're trying to do. Title tags allow you to have "pop-up" messages inside text or images whenever someone hovers their cursor over. You can do one of the following:

1. Text.

Clubs I'm in~

2. Images.

470.gif
(hover me)

3. Images with links

All you have to do is [title=stuff here]My clubs[/title]. Hope this helps you out a looooot because I'm sure I just made your life easier. lol. Should you still need help, I'd be more than welcome to lend you a hand. Shoot me a message anytime.

Years
Alright, I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this, but I recall reading that starting in early 2010, for over three years, name changes were gone forever because they would cause massive slowdown on the forum. So, with today's forum system, what's different that makes name changes so much easier as opposed to when it was then?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Alright, I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this, but I recall reading that starting in early 2010, for over three years, name changes were gone forever because they would cause massive slowdown on the forum. So, with today's forum system, what's different that makes name changes so much easier as opposed to when it was then?

Name changes were actually still available, but they could only be done for users in specific intervals (as in a user could change their username, for example, once every five months depending on their last username change.) As such, this created different timelines for all users to have the abilities to change their usernames and thus the Admins had to patrol the name change thread year round for requests.

To simplify this monotonous and tedious task, mid last year we created a new username change system in which there would be three times per year for two weeks at a time in which users can change their usernames. It allows the Admins to focus on other matters - like a lot of the updates you've seen these last few weeks - instead of having to always monitor that thread for requests. It minimizes the slowdown in a figurative and literal sense: allows the Admins to focus on other matters and thus disallow the slowing of the advancement of the site, as well as just keeping the name changes in a concentrated times frame so it doesn't cause a slow down all year round.

Years
Name changes were actually still available, but they could only be done for users in specific intervals (as in a user could change their username, for example, once every five months depending on their last username change.)
Wait, you're talking about from 2010 through 2013 right? If so, then name changes were actually no longer permitted during that time period whatsoever.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years

And to answer your question, a new, more powerful server is what made possible name changing again.

Also, yes. From 2010-2013, name changes were not permitted at all.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Wait, you're talking about from 2010 through 2013 right? If so, then name changes were actually no longer permitted during that time period whatsoever.

No, when I wrote that part I was talking about mid 2014. OP made it sound like we didn't have name changes possible to begin with, which I explained further on in my post.

Edit: I guess I actually didn't type that part out, but that was what was going through my head when I wrote that out.

Years
Ah, yes. I did say "gone forever" but I didn't mention late 2013 when they were brought back with the four month/three for Tier 5 time period. This thread from early 2010 talked about how when names were changed, the database had to change potentially thousands of references to it, and that they were worried PC would crash if they kept allowing them. Then, in late 2013, they said some tweaks to the code and a faster new server allowed them to bring them back. Guess I won't ask what changes, because that would be asking me to get too specific.

Well i'm glad they came back, because I recall having a really weird name then. x(

Years
Ah, yes. I did say "gone forever" but I didn't mention late 2013 when they were brought back with the four month/three for Tier 5 time period. This thread from early 2010 talked about how when names were changed, the database had to change potentially thousands of references to it, and that they were worried PC would crash if they kept allowing them. Then, in late 2013, they said some tweaks to the code and a faster new server allowed them to bring them back. Guess I won't ask what changes, because that would be asking me to get too specific.

Well i'm glad they came back, because I recall having a really weird name then. x(

The tweaks were simply to how the database handled username changes, at least as far as I understand it. Particularly how it handled changing the references.

The better server hardware was probably a bigger factor, though.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 22, 2022
I was wondering if I could create an emblem for people who complete my challenge, and if so, how?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I was wondering if I could create an emblem for people who complete my challenge, and if so, how?

it's possible but up to the relevant mod's decision. contact the moderator associated with the section that your challenge is being held in with your proposal for the emblem name, description and image. the image must be 80x80px in size and if the mod approves they will forward it to an admin or ask you to do so. (sorry about all the notifications you're getting from this post haha)

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I didn't know where to go with this, but is there BB code for changing the title of a spoiler? i.e.
Spoiler: this is the spoiler title here

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 14, 2017
this is a question that has probably been asked and answered a hundred times but i still dont know how. Im creating a giveaway thread and wanted to put the sprites of the pokemon into the post just to make it look nicer. Can someone tell me how to do it cuz i still dont know how. if you can just send me a quick tutorial in my pm that would be awesome or in here works too.
Thanks!!!!

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
I didn't know where to go with this, but is there BB code for changing the title of a spoiler? i.e.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 14, 2017
I'm sorry, I can't quite follow. Are you trying to code the actual word "spoiler" that pops up?

Take the picture url and copy and paste it between the IMG codes:
HTML:
[img]url placed here[/img]
This will allow the sprite images to appear!
ok im gonna test this
HTML:
[img]http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/x-y/normal/talonflame.png[/img]

Nihilego

Years

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Are temporary self ban requests possible? Feel like I should force myself to stop coming here so I can focus on real life studies and other issues.

Just wondering, since another forum I go to does this.

Nihilego

Years
Are temporary self ban requests possible? Feel like I should force myself to stop coming here so I can focus on real life studies and other issues.

Just wondering, since another forum I go to does this.

We've never honoured self-ban requests to the best of my knowledge, no.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
We've never honoured self-ban requests to the best of my knowledge, no.
Would it be fine for me to request a 2 week ban anyhow? I'd rather try to distance myself from this place for now, and I think it'd be beneficial for my own sake. If I end up regretting it then it's on me lol.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Would it be fine for me to request a 2 week ban anyhow? I'd rather try to distance myself from this place for now, and I think it'd be beneficial for my own sake. If I end up regretting it then it's on me lol.

Depending on what browser you use, there are quite a few scripts available that either limit your time on a site or outright block you from accessing them! I use Chrome and upon a quick search there are at least 4-5 scripts & programs available to remedy your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back