• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[EM] Battle Engine Upgrade (On Halt, Will undergo reboot!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
OK, the pokemon don't seem to be warped but if I enter the summary screen it resets the game. Am I best scrapping my hack and just using this from a fresh rom?

Not at all. This was designed to work with progressing hacks. Try changing the location for the engine. The freezing on summary screen sounds to me like ability name/description names issue. Try erasing them for a while to insert a file in the 'repoints' file and see if it still freezes.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 10, 2017
It got worse, if anything. Now it locks up and causes ear piercing screeches! I'll try one more time, and if not then I'll just start from scratch. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long, especially if stuff like YAPE and AdvanceMap still work.

How many bytes is needed for the engine? I put at xF00902, which seemed to have quite a substantial amount of space available.

Thanks

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
I've been messing around with this on a clean rom for a while and it seems to work: this is seriously legit. This must have taken a lot of hard work. Props to everyone who contributed!

That being said, as a PGE user, I am noticing a few issues, particularly with moves:

- Selecting a Gen 4+ move in the attack editor leads to an 'SelectedIndex' error
- Trying to add a Gen 4+ move in a Pokemon's level up adds a different move at a different level
- I assume that all the level-ups have been updated to ORAS, but PGE is giving me the native Emerald data

I believe this is an .ini issue, but I cannot say for sure.
Other than those things, it seems to work fine, although I haven't examined much in-game yet.

Years
I've been messing around with this on a clean rom for a while and it seems to work: this is seriously legit. This must have taken a lot of hard work. Props to everyone who contributed!

That being said, as a PGE user, I am noticing a few issues, particularly with moves:

- Selecting a Gen 4+ move in the attack editor leads to an 'SelectedIndex' error
- Trying to add a Gen 4+ move in a Pokemon's level up adds a different move at a different level
- I assume that all the level-ups have been updated to ORAS, but PGE is giving me the native Emerald data

Other than those things, it seems to work fine, although I haven't examined much in-game yet.

It's because the learnset table are not repointed. PGE currently doesn't support the way we expanded the moves, because of alignment issues. If you do want to change the moves however, you can do it manually in the file called 'Learnsets.c' in the 'src' folder. KDS will talk this through with Gamer3030 soon.

It got worse, if anything. Now it locks up and causes ear piercing screeches! I'll try one more time, and if not then I'll just start from scratch. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long, especially if stuff like YAPE and AdvanceMap still work.

How many bytes is needed for the engine? I put at xF00902, which seemed to have quite a substantial amount of space available.

Thanks

That's strange. I've got no idea why it acts like this. Yeah, the location you've chosen is more than enough.
I would also suggest not using YAPE, because it's an outdated program and doesn't support move expansion. Try Kurapika's gen3 tool or PGE.
On second thought maybe the issue comes from the type expansion. Did you make any changes to the game functions? Any hooks or expansions?

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I don't know if it's possible, but maybe add an option in the source to change the max level of Pokemon from 100 to anything up to 255. I saw a thread where the max level in Fire Red was changed to 127 although I do realize this is Emerald and not Fire Red. Still, it would be kinda cool, and I would totally use this as a base for a hack.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Try Kurapika's gen3 tool

+1, Gen 3 Tools is fantastic! It automagically detected the new offsets when I tried it with MrDollSteak's FireRed ROM base with no input on my end (other than altering the number of moves, that is).

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe add an option in the source to change the max level of Pokemon from 100 to anything up to 255. I saw a thread where the max level in Fire Red was changed to 127 although I do realize this is Emerald and not Fire Red. Still, it would be kinda cool, and I would totally use this as a base for a hack.

I don't think it would be a very easy feature to implement, certainly not as simple as changing a "64" to a "7F" in the ROM. It might be easier to do in a Gen I or II hack, since those games use a formula to calculate experience needed at some level. This led to some... undesirable effects, to put it simply. Gen III onward uses a lookup table rather than the formulas, and this also allows piecewise functions for the then-new "erratic" and "fluctuating" groups to be used. Those would be difficult to get working at higher levels.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 10, 2017
That's strange. I've got no idea why it acts like this. Yeah, the location you've chosen is more than enough.
I would also suggest not using YAPE, because it's an outdated program and doesn't support move expansion. Try Kurapika's gen3 tool or PGE.
On second thought maybe the issue comes from the type expansion. Did you make any changes to the game functions? Any hooks or expansions?

I used a rombase that had a physical/special split built in, but that's about it. However I have replaced some pokemon with pokemon from newer generations - although I imagine that wouldn't make too much difference, bar overwriting some abilites or movesets.

The strange thing is, I tried with a vanilla rom and changed it so that Gardevoir was the starter (as a quick test). It's typing was pure psychic (although not sure if we need to tweak that manually after), but it did have a move that was fairy. HOWEVER, after picking it up from the bag the game would not allow me to select any moves. Everything else was fine, but pressing the Z button (acts as 'A') did nothing if I tried to select a move. I may as well have pressing an unassigned button.

It's odd because I'm following your instructions but it doesn't seem to quite work.

Trainer 781

I used a rombase that had a physical/special split built in, but that's about it. However I have replaced some pokemon with pokemon from newer generations - although I imagine that wouldn't make too much difference, bar overwriting some abilites or movesets.

The strange thing is, I tried with a vanilla rom and changed it so that Gardevoir was the starter (as a quick test). It's typing was pure psychic (although not sure if we need to tweak that manually after), but it did have a move that was fairy. HOWEVER, after picking it up from the bag the game would not allow me to select any moves. Everything else was fine, but pressing the Z button (acts as 'A') did nothing if I tried to select a move. I may as well have pressing an unassigned button.

It's odd because I'm following your instructions but it doesn't seem to quite work.

Try redownloading the latest build and make sure to update the offset in both files where you want to insert the data.
If the problem persists, give me your save state of the engine applied to a vanilla rom.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 10, 2017
Try redownloading the latest build and make sure to update the offset in both files where you want to insert the data.
If the problem persists, give me your save state of the engine applied to a vanilla rom.

Thanks. Tried it on a vanilla rom and seems to work alright. Still causing issues on my existing one though. No worries though, I would have had to go back over a lot of stuff anyway to replace leader movesets / TMs / etc to reflect the new stuff. Reinserting the sprites and everything will also be releatively straightforward now they're all made.

One thing to note though, I think you may have an error in the instructions. It says 'python scripts//insert -debug>offsets.txt', which doesn't work. I had to add an extra dash before 'debug'. May just be my version of windows though so not sure if it's a mistake or not.

Years
One thing to note though, I think you may have an error in the instructions. It says 'python scripts//insert -debug>offsets.txt', which doesn't work. I had to add an extra dash before 'debug'. May just be my version of windows though so not sure if it's a mistake or not.
Whoopsie, my bad. Thanks for finding that {XD}

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
This is very promising, but I'll wait until you include Mega Evolution and forms/formes. Could you make a list as to which moves/abilities that are not done yet?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 10, 2017
Does the tool affect the location of the movesets? I changed movesets for my pokemon (only using gen 3 moves for now) via G3T, but in-game the movesets are just the original moves.

The abilities and stats and everything are fine, just the movesets.

In Tudou's post you mentioned using the ini file for gen 4 moves up? Does that mean I will need rebuild the rom again? What about trainers, such as gym leaders, where I would want custom items and attacks? Would I need to amend the ini file and rebuild?

Trainer 781

Whoa there! This is going to be huge! I look forward to your releases!

Will this also feature Pokémons from Gen. 4 onwards and use Chaos Rush and MrDollSteak sprites and icons?

You might want to hear my idea for a "Soaring in the sky" or not?
Maybe. But I feel it is better, if we leave to the hacker to decide which set of sprites he/she would like to use or you might directly use PGE's sprite importing function to save time.

I'm trying to rectify things to stop getting this messages for Gen 4+ but I am unable too. This may be because of the contest moves haven't been inserted yet.
But you can still edit the moves after pressing ignore.
This project will constantly get updated. So I suggest you to manually edit the move_table.h file and keep a copy of it.

This is very promising, but I'll wait until you include Mega Evolution and forms/formes. Could you make a list as to which moves/abilities that are not done yet?
We have started working on it due to its no. of demands. I have managed to set up the buffers when the Start Key is pressed up, by looking up at kleenex's mega routine.
We would definitely like to maintain a list. But I am not in a mood to do so. If someone can volunteer to do, we will be grateful and add him/her to the credits list.

Does the tool affect the location of the movesets? I changed movesets for my pokemon (only using gen 3 moves for now) via G3T, but in-game the movesets are just the original moves.

The abilities and stats and everything are fine, just the movesets.

In Tudou's post you mentioned using the ini file for gen 4 moves up? Does that mean I will need rebuild the rom again? What about trainers, such as gym leaders, where I would want custom items and attacks? Would I need to amend the ini file and rebuild?
I don't think it should affect movesets and items. Only the learnsets will be affected.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 10, 2017
Sorry, I meant the learnsets.

I changed various learnsets using G3T but they haven't altered in game. Here are two examples. Vanillite should have icicle spear and mirror coat, Hoppip should have tackle and leech seed. Both have reverted back to the original G3 moveset.

EDIT: Just thought about changing the offset to the one that is stated in the offset data. Didn't work. Ended up with no moves and just used struggle instead :/

moves.png

g3t.png

Last edited:

Trainer 781

I changed various learnsets using G3T but they haven't altered in game. Here are two examples. Vanillite should have icicle spear and mirror coat, Hoppip should have tackle and leech seed. Both have reverted back to the original G3 moveset.

Then what you should do is to edit the learnsets.c file manually in the source folder before building the code using a text editor or CodeBlocks and maintain an additional copy of it. Otherwise, for each update, the learnsets.c will revert back to its original state. That will be even the case if an editor is able to edit learnsets for this engine properly.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 10, 2017
OK, will there be any effect on trainer / leader movesets too or will they be fine? Just want to check now before I put in the movesets and realise I need to rebuild.

Thanks.

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2023
This is amazing can't wait for it to be completed keep up the amazing work please add the Pokémon expansion please!!! That would be an amazing thing for us to have at our disposal

Trainer 781

OK, will there be any effect on trainer / leader movesets too or will they be fine? Just want to check now before I put in the movesets and realise I need to rebuild.

Thanks.

IMO custom movesets shouldn't change. I already said that.
Just make a backup incase.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Good jobs,i like it!!!!!
Could you make the patch?Beacuse i don't know why i can't do it in my computer.

rickonstark

the forgotten son
Years
noticed something about sucker punch, it should fail vs other priority moves when the user is slower. like if you and your opp. both uses sucker punch only the faster one would hit and the slower should fail. Also, i don't think that skill link is working. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back