• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Expanding the Pokédex into Emerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I got a question not really related to the pokedex expansion. Is there a way to expand the amount of abilities of a pokemon ?

Some pokemons now got 3 abilities since the hidden ability update, for example Clefairy has Cute Charm and Magic Guard for his 2 normal abilities and has Friend Guard as it's Hidden Ability, it's pretty much the only thing left I require.

So as it is now, the Pokémon base stat data has two bytes of extra space left in it. Theoretically, you could rewrite how Pokémon are read and generated to include a third (or even fourth) ability from that extra space, but nobody has done so yet, and I'm not exactly sure how difficult it would be to do so.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
So as it is now, the Pokémon base stat data has two bytes of extra space left in it. Theoretically, you could rewrite how Pokémon are read and generated to include a third (or even fourth) ability from that extra space, but nobody has done so yet, and I'm not exactly sure how difficult it would be to do so.
Actually, I believe Touched did it for Emerald and I did it for FireRed (with Touched giving the hooks and explaining). But I haven't thoroughly tested it, so I haven't gotten around to writing it up. I can't be positive it is bug free, but I'll try to make a short little tutorial on the changes I made.

Years
Hey there

I'm trying to follow this tutorial and there's one thing I don't understand

Next we need to make some byte changes to get the routine working.
At 0x152E98,put 00 48 00 47 XX XX XX 08. For XX XX XX 08, it's the offset you put the save block routine +0x1.
At 0x15284E, put 38 47.
At 0x15288C, put YY YY YY 08. For YY YY YY 08, it's the offset you put the save block routine +0x61.
At 0x0D9CC6, put 38 47.
At 0x0D9D04, put YY YY YY 08.
At 0x0DA284, put 00 48 00 47 XX XX XX 08.

What do +0x1 and +0x61 mean here?

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hey there

I'm trying to follow this tutorial and there's one thing I don't understand

What do +0x1 and +0x61 mean here?

It means they want you to add that much to the offset before you write it. For example, with the +0x61 they want you to take the offset that you wrote the save block routine to, add 0x61 to it (which you can easily do with the default calculator apps on both Windows and Mac), and then write that new number.

Years
When I go to edit the offsets for the dex flags its telling me that I do not have the offset 0203D800. Am I doing something wrong or do I have the wrong file to edit? Sorry, a bit new at all this but trying to learn! Haha

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
When I go to edit the offsets for the dex flags its telling me that I do not have the offset 0203D800. Am I doing something wrong or do I have the wrong file to edit? Sorry, a bit new at all this but trying to learn! Haha

Nothing's wrong. That offset is a RAM offset (with 02- prefix), not a ROM offset. You cannot edit RAM parts so leave as it is until you've learned much of it.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
The both tables have this format each slot:

XX 3C 00 00 YY YY YY 08 FF 00 FF 00

XX is which format of audio should play, if it is compressed, uncompressed, or sound-based moves. From what I have seen:
00: uncompressed, just normal
20: compressed, importing something like this isn't available at this moment
30: uncompressed, mostly used for the second table
I just don't know what these really are but apparently, someone would have understood it better.

So basically the first byte in these strings is the type of instrument; it's the same format as the M4A engine (music engine)

00 is forward playback
10 is reverse playback
20 is compressed playback
30 is reverse compressed playback

And there are some other combinations such as 18 that deal with other stuff (that will only be related to music playing, you shouldn't touch them for cries of course)

If you still haven't realized yet, this is a directsound instrument. Simple stuff and things going on here

PS Can the patch for steps 8-10 be reuploaded? I don't have much more time to sit in front of this hex editor, and others probably don't either

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
The expansion of the pokedex overwrite important data (mainly for castform), we need to
change that back.
Not that I'm not sure of all of these things, but since I haven't seen a freebug expansion
as of yet, I assume some of these offset shouldn't be overwrote.

Overwriting of castform :
0x399FC
0x5DD5C
0x5E7B8
0xA5F70
0xA5FDC
0xA7F68
0xA86BC
0xA8844
0xA9AD0

Not sure for the following:

0xBCBF4
0xBCC98
0xBCD1C
0xBCE20
0xBCEE4
0xBCFAC
0xBD0C4
0xBDAAC

False limiter :
0x857C4 Something related to map maybe
0x85880

Years
The patch is still missing from the attachments on the original post. Can you please re-upload it? Alternatively, does anyone else have it that could link me?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
PS Can the patch for steps 8-10 be reuploaded? I don't have much more time to sit in front of this hex editor, and others probably don't either

The patch is still missing from the attachments on the original post. Can you please re-upload it? Alternatively, does anyone else have it that could link me?

I have actually removed it because the last person who did the patch informed me that his expansion is not working. It was on the previous patch's fault. Sorry for the long delay. I have redone the patch, and I hope it fully works than the last time. The download is on the original post, or if you have seen this message, just download here, and you're ready to go! Post if there are still errors.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
I don't mean to bump this thread, but I wanted to share with everyone an updated video tutorial that has actual video of the byte changes. Also, since it is almost two hours long, use the title cards to navigate to that Chapter/Part.

Also, I've done some work involving some minor Pokédex work involving the Alphabetical, Lightest, Smallest modes. Apparently, expanded mons won't show up in those modes I'll post about it more once I look into it a bit more.

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I don't mean to bump this thread, but I wanted to share with everyone an updated video tutorial that has actual video of the byte changes. Also, since it is almost two hours long, use the title cards to navigate to that Chapter/Part.

Also, I've done some work involving some minor Pokédex work involving the Alphabetical, Lightest, Smallest modes. Apparently, expanded mons won't show up in those modes I'll post about it more once I look into it a bit more.

PLEEEEEEASE re-release the 650 patch :(

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I would, if I didn't delete it from my computer.

Can you at least post in the original thread to allow those who still have it to post it then? I'm pretty sure people just want the patch rather than the programs.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 14, 2023
I was thinking of adding those ?s between Celebi and Treecko as valid Pokemon in my hack. I have read that Pokemon not in the Hoenn Dex will not show up right if encountered in the wild before getting the Nat'l Dex. I'm not sure if this is true and I can't remember where I read about that.
Before I messed up and had to restart, I had set all of those to use 000 for each Dex. Now I wasn't able to test this in-game to see if doing this wouldn't cause any issues, or even if it was necessary.
If it ends up not working correctly, what would be the minimum I would HAVE to do in order to allow the game to load the correct Pokemon in the wild?
Or, what is the minimum work needed to be done to just create 25 new Pokedex entries?

Thanks in advance.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
While working on my Emerald 721 patch, there was a glitch where the sprite would show up as a ? instead of the sprite. For example:
c9419e7536058a738863ab7bc3007560_1024.png

There appears to be another limiter. To fix this, go to 34BFE and type 07 E0.

Now the sprites should now show up:
a9fbf72f8a489ce5357c0a671b22565d_1024.png

I believe the tutorial covers this because I've already changed those bytes. (And I only followed this tutorial)

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
Ah, found it. The problem was that it was in Step 6A, if you want to expand Animations. I disabled them. Sky High, I feel that the two limiter byte changes listed in Expanding Animations should be added to disabling them as well. The reason, well, I posted it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back