• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

why does no one use ramparidos?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To elaborate, Rampardos is slow and has terrible defenses, with its high HP stat only good for absorbing Head Smash recoil. It also has common weaknesses to Water, Grass, Ground, Fighting (and Steel to a lesser extent). Priority is rather common in OU (Mach Punch from Breloom and Conkeldurr, Bullet Punch from Scizor and Metagross, Aqua Jet from Azumarill, etc.). Rain teams are also rampant, capitalizing on Rampardos' Water weakness.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Good point but in a trick room with earthquake in VGC it will most likely kill both pokèmon

That's true, but Rampardos isn't good in VGC settings either because of its common weaknesses to spread moves (Earthquake, Surf, etc.).

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
In VGC, Rampardos is still terrible because of its wet paper bag defenses. All three weather runs rampant and you just can't build a team to help support Rampardos unless you dedicate one Pokemon to use something like Follow Me the entire time Rampardos is on the field. And even then, it'll likely die to Blizzard or Surf, which ignores Follow Me/Rage Powder thanks to the splash. Water, grass, ice, fighting moves are extremely common. Hell, I'll say those types mostly dominate the scene.

Years
I may have never played at a VGC (since my country doesn't have them) but I do know that the reason Rampardos never gets used is like what the others said above, loads of its common weaknesses are present and there's also splash damage moves like Earthquake and Surf that can't even be saved by Rage Powder or Follow Me.

Also, as PlatinumDude said, priority moves and Rain teams are also running around in the OU metagame, meaning it can get KO'd very easily. It does have high HP, but that's only good for absorbing some of the recoil, its Defense and Special Defense sadly don't back it up.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Sure, it may have the highest Attack out of all Non-legendaries, but as numerous others stated, it has a bunch of common weaknesses in competitive play, mainly Water, Fighting and Ground. Rampardos is basically owned whenever it steps into play, sadly. A powerful Physical attacker to replace it with is Black Kyurem, and its stats and typing ensure it takes hit more efficiently than Rampardos.

Rampardos may be alright in NU, but anywhere outside of it, it's deemed pointless.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Kyurem and most non-trio legendaries are banned from VGC play so replacing Rampardos with Kyurem is moot.

Anyhow, I forgot to point this out but EQ's splash is ineffective at least half the time because most teams are chock-full of Levitate and flying-types. Rampardos with EQ is still crap.

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Like honesty in a trick room it can OHKO anything

Its defense stat is not very well going for it.
Also, it has weaknesses to a lot of common types in the NU tier, so your efforts for sweeping are halted unless you take out all of Rampardos's threats.

Also, there is fact it only functions well really in TR. In TR, it can do a whole lot, but normally, all you have to do is pretty much have any pokemon that has super effective moves on Rampardos, because generally it is faster.

Back