• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Hey, it is possible. The way to do it is pretty much the same as with a clean ROM, but you'll need to merge the hack's files into the ROM before randomizing the encounters. There should be plenty of guides around explaining how to do this, but if you want me to explain it I'm happy to do so.

I'd appreciate if you did, since I'm not quite sure the exact files and stuff I need to replace/the exact process, I guess, and I don't want to mess anything up; thank you very much for doing so!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I'd appreciate if you did, since I'm not quite sure the exact files and stuff I need to replace/the exact process, I guess, and I don't want to mess anything up; thank you very much for doing so!
No problem, I just need to know whether you're playing on citra or a 3DS first, and whether you're playing sun or moon.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
No problem, I just need to know whether you're playing on citra or a 3DS first, and whether you're playing sun or moon.

Citra, and Ultra Sun.

I've already got it to work (albeit unrandomized), but I assume I'll have to redo the process in order to randomize it, right?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Citra, and Ultra Sun.

I've already got it to work (albeit unrandomized), but I assume I'll have to redo the process in order to randomize it, right?
Oh, if you've already built the ROM you'll only need to redo some of the build process.

If you don't have the unpacked ROM files anymore, unpack the modified ROM (follow the first four steps of part of the citra install guide if you don't know how to do this), then download pk3DS from here. From there all you have to do is run pk3DS, open the folder containing all the ROM files, then click the Wild Encounters button and click "Randomize All" in the window that pops up. There are extra options for the randomizer in the bottom left of this window if you want them. Then you can just rebuild the ROM (step 7 and 8 of part 2 of the citra install guide) and replace the unrandomized ROM in your citra games folder. You won't need to rebuild the game update or reinstall any part of the hack as you've already done that.

If you've still got the files you can skip the unpacking step.

Years
  • Age 107
  • Seen Dec 19, 2021
Wondering if there is a bug with fairy type moves. Trying to use disarming voice on a few pokemon and it's not very effective on lotad and it isn't super effective on riolu or inkay.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Wondering if there is a bug with fairy type moves. Trying to use disarming voice on a few pokemon and it's not very effective on lotad and it isn't super effective on riolu or inkay.

Are you using a Popplio with Liquid Voice by any chance? Disarming Voice is a sound move so that ability will make it a water type move.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 17, 2023

Are you using a Popplio and is its ability Liquid Voice? Because that would cause this exact situation.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Oh, if you've already built the ROM you'll only need to redo some of the build process.

If you don't have the unpacked ROM files anymore, unpack the modified ROM (follow the first four steps of part of the citra install guide if you don't know how to do this), then download pk3DS from (link removed because it wouldn't let me post). From there all you have to do is run pk3DS, open the folder containing all the ROM files, then click the Wild Encounters button and click "Randomize All" in the window that pops up. There are extra options for the randomizer in the bottom left of this window if you want them. Then you can just rebuild the ROM (step 7 and 8 of part 2 of the citra install guide) and replace the unrandomized ROM in your citra games folder. You won't need to rebuild the game update or reinstall any part of the hack as you've already done that.

If you've still got the files you can skip the unpacking step.

Oh, awesome! Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2022
Do... certain pokemon have their standard learnsets/type changes in the rebalanced patch?

I got a Cyndaquil and a Shinx early on in the rebalanced version but once they evolved to Quilava and Luxray respectively, they kept their unchanged typings. I put attention into their learnsets from the rebalanced version and it doesn't match the documentation. For example, Quilava should learn Rollout at lvl 20 in rebalanced but for me, at lvl 20, it learned Flame Wheel, which matches with the standard documentation.

The weird thing is, I caught an Elekid and got an Electric/Fighting Electivire, as well as a Rock/Ground Lycanroc with the same learnsets defined in the .txt file for the rebalanced patch.

Are there mixed rebalanced/standard "sets" for the pokemon in the rebalanced patch? Does the lack of national pokedex affect this? I was wondering because both Shinx and Cyndaquil lines aren't numbered in the pokedex in Sun and Moon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Do... certain pokemon have their standard learnsets/type changes in the rebalanced patch?

I got a Cyndaquil and a Shinx early on in the rebalanced version but once they evolved to Quilava and Luxray respectively, they kept their unchanged typings. I put attention into their learnsets from the rebalanced version and it doesn't match the documentation. For example, Quilava should learn Rollout at lvl 20 in rebalanced but for me, at lvl 20, it learned Flame Wheel, which matches with the standard documentation.

The weird thing is, I caught an Elekid and got an Electric/Fighting Electivire, as well as a Rock/Ground Lycanroc with the same learnsets defined in the .txt file for the rebalanced patch.

Are there mixed rebalanced/standard "sets" for the pokemon in the rebalanced patch? Does the lack of national pokedex affect this? I was wondering because both Shinx and Cyndaquil lines aren't numbered in the pokedex in Sun and Moon.
Did you download a prebuilt ROM/cia by any chance? Those changes were pretty recent so you might just have an outdated version if so. If not, that's most likely a mistake; everything in the rebalanced version should have the stats and movesets listed in the documentation for it. The files on my PC are correct, but I'll check the ones on Google drive just to be sure.

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2022
Ah! That's probably it then. I did have a patched rom a couple of months ago and I wanted to play it again, so I probably forgot to re-patch it between looking at the documentation and stuff. If there's an older version already patched, would there be a problem if I overwrite the older version with the newest one?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Ah! That's probably it then. I did have a patched rom a couple of months ago and I wanted to play it again, so I probably forgot to re-patch it between looking at the documentation and stuff. If there's an older version already patched, would there be a problem if I overwrite the older version with the newest one?
No, that should work just fine. If you're playing on 3DS it'd be a good idea to check that the older version used a code.ips file rather than a code.bin (delete the code.bin file if so).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 17, 2023
I seem to have also run into a typings issue. This is on my recently acquired 3DS. Kricketune is not Bug/Normal. I am using the Luma patching of the rebalanced version of Photonic Sun.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I seem to have also run into a typings issue. This is on my recently acquired 3DS. Kricketune is not Bug/Normal. I am using the Luma patching of the rebalanced version of Photonic Sun.

Whoops, sorry about that, I've just fixed it. Thanks for letting me know!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Ah okay. So I would need to re-install the files to my SD card correct? It won't negatively affect my current save file/will still recognize it no problem?

Yeah, you can just copy everything over to your SD card again and the all the old files will be overwritten. Updates won't ever impact your save file due to how limited 3DS hacking is, so that won't be a problem.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 29, 2019
hello, is this bugged? in the first route where u can ur starter pkmn. in all grasses the pkmn u can get is mix, ex. i want to catch ralts but majority appear are pkmn from grass 1 and 2

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
hello, is this bugged? in the first route where u can ur starter pkmn. in all grasses the pkmn u can get is mix, ex. i want to catch ralts but majority appear are pkmn from grass 1 and 2
Hey, that happens before a certain point in the story, but fixes itself pretty early on. For some reason Game freak has two identical sets of wild encounters for Route 1, and the first set only gets used for a short time. The temporary set of encounters wasn't edited properly and I never got around to fixing it (mostly because I never saw the issue during testing).

Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2023
How can I get Solgaleo if I'm playing Prismatic Moon? I know in the OG games you need to trade it, and for what I looked in documentation, it's the same here. Any ideas?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
How can I get Solgaleo if I'm playing Prismatic Moon? I know in the OG games you need to trade it, and for what I looked in documentation, it's the same here. Any ideas?
You'll need to evolve the Cosmog you get; Cosmoem has a version-based evolution just like the vanilla games, but I switched what it evolves into in each version so that it becomes the opposite version's legendary instead (it should have been that way in the first place IMO). I'd suggest saving just before it hits level 53 though, as I haven't tested that particular evolution method so there's a small chance it won't work properly.

Back