• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen A question about Hidden Grotto

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
Years
5th gen is the one I played the least, only doing so to fill my national dex but, outside of a pond near one of the end cities, there was suppose to be this grotto with a Biberal or however you spell it with the hidden ability moody I wanted to have just for fun. When I looked inside it was empty. I went back a second time after running to do a few battles and stuff but it was still empty besides from some item in the center of the grass square in the middle.

Am I doing something wrong? The Youtube video I saw shown a guy walk right in and he was right there.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
5th gen is the one I played the least, only doing so to fill my national dex but, outside of a pond near one of the end cities, there was suppose to be this grotto with a Biberal or however you spell it with the hidden ability moody I wanted to have just for fun. When I looked inside it was empty. I went back a second time after running to do a few battles and stuff but it was still empty besides from some item in the center of the grass square in the middle.

Am I doing something wrong? The Youtube video I saw shown a guy walk right in and he was right there.

I think the contents are random, you have to get lucky?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
You're doing it right, it's just luck.

Quoted from Bulbapedia:
Each Hidden Grotto has the same items available, with the exception of the evolutionary stones. The chance that an item will be spawned when a Grotto is regenerated is 80% (40% for hidden items and 40% for visible items).
And:
The chance that a Pokémon will be spawned when a Grotto is regenerated is 20%.

In your case, Bibarel has a 15% chance to appear, so it will most likely take a few tries, or it will take forever if you have luck like mine. lol
All the info on Hidden Grottos can be found here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hidden_Grotto

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
Years
Just one last question I am having trouble understanding. It says that I have to take 256 steps to have a 5% chance something MIGHT spawn in there. Is that correct? If that is correct Is it possible I will have to take 10,000 steps before I can potentially get a 5% chance of one of the items on the list to spawn and then not get it and then take another 10,000 steps before my 5% chance to get something from the list pops up? Not sure if I am understanding that 5% after the 256 steps part correctly.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just one last question I am having trouble understanding. It says that I have to take 256 steps to have a 5% chance something MIGHT spawn in there. Is that correct? If that is correct Is it possible I will have to take 10,000 steps before I can potentially get a 5% chance of one of the items on the list to spawn and then not get it and then take another 10,000 steps before my 5% chance to get something from the list pops up? Not sure if I am understanding that 5% after the 256 steps part correctly.

Every time you take 256 steps the game basically does a re-roll in which you have a 5% chance something to appear. Honestly the best thing to do is just bike around Unova and then come back. By the time you're back chances are something has spawned. If it's an item, grab it, and start the process all over again, if it's a Pokemon go for it! But yeah basically don't worry about the steps... just walk around a ton, do some other things in the game by the time you come back something will be there :)

Back