• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Read books, play heavy-text based games, practice writing. All of those will help improve one's RPing skills.

Thing is, I've done all of that. AND I've set my career pathway on "Novelist". I read books regularly, play many reading-induced games, and I write all of the time. In fact, I use RPing as a form of creativity and practice.

Maybe it's just because I'm having a small depression attack right now; everything that has gone on for me today has made me feel worthless. I mean, are my RPing skills that bad?

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Thing is, I've done all of that. AND I've set my career pathway on "Novelist". I read books regularly, play many reading-induced games, and I write all of the time. In fact, I use RPing as a form of creativity and practice.

Maybe it's just because I'm having a small depression attack right now; everything that has gone on for me today has made me feel worthless. I mean, are my RPing skills that bad?

Who said your RPing skills are bad? Your posts always interest me, the layout is amazing. Don't let people decide how good you are. :) Be happy & proud of what you do.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
It's Cyrodiil - I only know this because I have an interactive map of the world bookmarked on my toolbar for easy reference when I'm playing Xbox and can stare at it now. c,8 But I'm curious to know what mechanics would be used, and whether we'd be able to role play as any race (Argonians ftw) and class, or if we could (like Oblivion) make up a class based on seven attributes.

... Gonna stop being a geek now and get back to my essay. ):

The mechanics will be more writing-based than mathematical, and I'm likely going to disregard the traditional skill system, or may even ditch the skill system altogether.

@ Elite Killer
Looks like a good idea. I would certainly give it a look if I have the time to join. I am curious as to what region the RP would take place though. I personally like Skyrim and Cryodil (I think I spelled that wrong).

The RP would be in multiple regions, in one of two ways: either you are able to go wherever, whenever or the group of RP'ers would be at one region at a time, switching regions when the plot requires it to be so.

Wow!!
A bit mysterious and confusing i may say for i'v never really played the game. I like it though, if only i knew about the real story....

Well, I'm trying to make it not necessary to know about the series to play, yet in order to understand my intro, previous experience would be necessary to understand the terms I used.

And for some questions, if you want to help, answer my questionnaire about certain choices:

1. What would you prefer as far as accessible regions in the RP?

a.) Full region of Tamriel explorable.
b.) Jumping from region to region, different ones being explorable depending on plot
c.) Just Cyrodiil
d.) A combo of Cyrodiil, Skyrim and Morrowind (Minus Vvardenfell)

2. How should the RP'ers be involved with the Hourglass?

a.) Explorers/Warriors/Thieves/Bandits/Mages etc.. looking for the Hourglass for personal reasons, RP'ers discuss reason in SU
b.) RP'ers are part of Imperial/Stormcloak/Aldmeri military and are looking for hourglass for their factions
c.) Special "Prophets" sent from Akatosh to protect Hourglass
d.) Daedric "Prophets" sent from Oblivion to destroy the Hourglass

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
@Zerin- what ShinyDiamond said! X3 i have nothing to add on what he said :3 (looooollll how many times did i said this already today SD? XD "what he said" loolll i think way too many times haha stop reading my mind dude!)

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
I'd just like to let everyone know that I've created a new guide for those of us in the RPC. (Though, it's really useful beyond roleplaying, as this can be applied to any forum for any use you please. However I mostly did it for you guys.)

This guide is a neat little hack to set up an RSS feed for your subscribed posts and PMs / VMs so that you get instant notifications on your desktop via RSS. It's not all that difficult, and I personally love it. Anyway, I now use blogs for my guides, as they may very well clutter up the main page if they each got their own thread should I have my way.

Here's the new guide:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=13687

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
The Uprising has really been the biggest learning experience for me. That and Misfits.

I have to agree with the one above. Supervegeta does everything so flawlessly and is very experienced in RPing. He is also happy to assist people as well, not to mention that it's usually very fun RPing with the guy. His famous RP 'Pokemon Odyssey 1' is known as one of the best RPs last year xd (at least that's what I think).
SUPERVEGETA? MAN THAT GUY SUCKS.

jkjkjkjkjk lol im just kidding.

NO I'M NOT, YOU SUCK MAN.

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but you aren't going to get any better by whining about it. You're only young, you still have a ways to go. We all do. That's the greatest thing about roleplaying, is that you sample other's styles, learn, be inspired by them.

So, long story short, keep doing what you're doing. It's like me and drawing. You get there eventually, and when you do, it's like a magical moment. But you just wanna keep going. So don't try and seek sympathy or praise from others, find your own praise!! We all get there in the end as long as we keep trying, keep going and keep at it. Persistence, man. Ask any of the Veterans here.

Pokemonmaster_draco

One Of The Best
Years
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but you aren't going to get any better by whining about it. You're only young, you still have a ways to go. We all do. That's the greatest thing about roleplaying, is that you sample other's styles, learn, be inspired by them.

So, long story short, keep doing what you're doing. It's like me and drawing. You get there eventually, and when you do, it's like a magical moment. But you just wanna keep going. So don't try and seek sympathy or praise from others, find your own praise!! We all get there in the end as long as we keep trying, keep going and keep at it. Persistence, man. Ask any of the Veterans here.

I can't help noticing that you sound really mean in that post. Anyway though i'd say the same thing too.

@Zerin- As i'm still a newbie, i don't complain about others that are better than me(Supervegeta, RHCP etc..). On the contrary i still go forward to improve my rping skill. Don't ask for others to praise you cause when they do, [Bsometimes[/B] that makes your rping skill drop in thought of being so great. As Equinox(if it's wrongly written, sorry) mentioned, keep reading, admire the vets and one day you'll find yourself in their shoes :). Keep going further and never give up....

Which roleplay have you really liked in the past and wished it was still active(or that you really admired or still do)?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Which roleplay have you really liked in the past and wished it was still active(or that you really admired or still do)?

Ye Old Pokébeast Journeye! Why were we so lazy and let it die? It would have been legendary if it had moved on. I mean, I got to basically kill a man with a Charmander in my first (or second?) post. I think. :D

And Foreigners. *is bricked*

|Equinox|

Going on a hiatus :'(
Years
I've said something about that? O.o

Actually the RPs I liked happened to be RPs of a smaller scale... -shrugs- probably just a coincidence. Or maybe those gave me more freedom and less pressure.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Zerin: For the record, being a good writer is no more than 50% of being a good roleplayer, potentially less. The whole social aspect of RP makes it very different from traditional literature in terms of what skills you need to be successfull. I say no more than 50% because when you think about it, you can be a great writer but a poor roleplayer, which means to me it can't account for the majority of skills you need.

There is also a somewhat big difference between a large, impersonal audience reading a book and a small, personal audience of other writers writing a "book" with you in that the rules for how you appeal to the 'audience' changes.

I'm saying this because I feel you should know it if you intend to improve yourself.

|Equinox|

Going on a hiatus :'(
Years
kYellow is right. There is a difference between RPing and traditional literature. Roleplaying also relies on other Roleplayers and the plot (planned by the GM and perhaps the others), not to mention the interaction between everybody. When writing a novel, you would probably do it on your own (or maybe with someone else if it's a collaboration) and let an editor add some finishing touches. Roleplay isn't like that.

I know I'm not good enough to have a say about these things (I've been RPing for a year with other accounts but that's about it) but I think you should decide on whether if you want to improve your writing (for your future career) or your RPing xd If you want to go for RPing (management...how to be successful) you might wanna read Yellow's guide. Cooperative RPs, Competitive RPs, how to interact and how to just be a good RPer (:

Writing a novel and RPing...they're rather related as you have to write and describe...but they're actually not that related xDD sorry if I don't make sense. On the other hand, if you want to focus on writing (description, feelings, actions and sentence structures etc) I don't think reading guides would help you that much (No offense Yellow! ^^ ). Just keep reading, writing, RPing and adapting/learning others' styles and putting them into your own. Take a bit from A, grab a bit from B, use the fun sentence structures by C...and you've got your own style!

No matter what you want to do, just remember to have some confidence inside you. Not to much, but a suitable amount. Have fun in writing and try learning in the process. Plus, we're all pretty young here; don't worry about 'not being good enough'. We all have plenty of time to catch up XD

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Zerin-:) See? We're all here for you. We all try to cheer everyone up.

Dystopia. It was an RP where you were actually you in a land ruled by a dictator. :) Good RP.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Writing a novel and RPing...they're rather related as you have to write and describe...but they're actually not that related xDD sorry if I don't make sense. On the other hand, if you want to focus on writing (description, feelings, actions and sentence structures etc) I don't think reading guides would help you that much (No offense Yellow! ^^ ). Just keep reading, writing, RPing and adapting/learning others' styles and putting them into your own. Take a bit from A, grab a bit from B, use the fun sentence structures by C...and you've got your own style!

I think I understand what you mean. I started roleplaying to improve my writing skills, both writing in general and the English language in particular. Then I sort of got stuck and now I can't seem to bring myself to write a story of my own xD It feels so empty and boring when I write on my own now. I've laid down my roots in the deep swamp that is forum roleplaying... and it's so darn comfy that I don't know when I'll ever pull my roots up again ;)

Maybe one day I'll try to write a story for myself again. If I do, I'm sure that I have learned a lot on how to make a text interesting for a reader, how to create good personalities for characters, how to think up more or less epic plots, even grammar and stuff like that... all from the time I spent roleplaying with you guys here.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Which two RPers would make a good couple? ;3

I dunno who'd make a good couple to be honest... Hence why I'm asking ;3

PinkSapphire and ShinyDiamon- Wait what? I don't think this is a very relevant topic ;) Better to discuss RPing in general, or certain RPs or kinds of RPs, rather than discussing people. Though Raikiri and Skymin certainly is a cute couple. Of course.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I agree with ya... And sorry, didn't know that :P
No worries, just try to keep the discussion out of very personal matters :3
EDIT: like the post above mine now xD it's a typical good thing to talk about via VM / PM instead of in a general thread like this one.

>///> Uh, I'm gonna...do an errand...
;D Hey, ShinyDiamond mind linking me to the Dystopia RP if you have the link, or at least tell me more about what it was about and how it worked? It sounded interesting but I'm not sure if I remember much of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back