• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2017
Hi. I am trying to edit the game's text and it is racking my brain. What I'm doing seems like it should be fine, but it causes all sorts of random problems.

I open up Advance Map. Open up Palet Town. Select the brown sign below the PC's house. Go on open script (opens up in eXtreme script). I make the following adjustment:

'---------------
#org 0x16586B
lockall
msgbox 0x81B1CC1 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"This is Palet Town. Home to the \n..."
setvar 0x4070 0x1
releaseall
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x1B1CC1
= This is Palet Town. Home to the \nfamous Pokémon researcher, \lProfessor Oak.
Then I click "Compile Script"
Now when I talk to the woman beside it she says: emon researcher, Proffesor Oak.

Now if I open up her dialogue script, it shows that she is saying "emon researcher, Proffesor Oak".

I don't understand, I only changed the signpost so why did it change her dialogue as well?

EDIT: The signpost itself worked fine, it just affected things besides the sign post. The same happens if I edit the sign outside professor Oak's Lab. When I edit that the signpost/letter box of the player's house is edited also.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Hi. I am trying to edit the game's text and it is racking my brain. What I'm doing seems like it should be fine, but it causes all sorts of random problems.

I open up Advance Map. Open up Palet Town. Select the brown sign below the PC's house. Go on open script (opens up in eXtreme script). I make the following adjustment:

'---------------
#org 0x16586B
lockall
msgbox 0x81B1CC1 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"This is Palet Town. Home to the \n..."
setvar 0x4070 0x1
releaseall
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x1B1CC1
= This is Palet Town. Home to the \nfamous Pokémon researcher, \lProfessor Oak.

Now when I talk to the woman beside it she says: emon researcher, Proffesor Oak.

Now if I open up her dialogue script, it shows that she is saying "emon researcher, Proffesor Oak".

I don't understand, I only changed the signpost so why did it change her dialogue as well?

Because scripts take up only so much space. If you write the script into more space than it already has, it'll overwrite other stuff.

Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2017
Is there a way to overcome this, or is keeping the text as short as it was previously the only thing I can do?

Also, how do I view scripts without already knowing what they are? (EG to alter the dialogue of bookshelves which can't be found in Advance Map as it is neither a signpost, person or a script, so how can I find the script's offset?)

EDIT: Okay I figured out how to overcome the lack of script space (by using a free space finder, I'm assuming at this point), but I still need help finding existing offsets so I can edit certain things.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2010
Okay, nobody has answered me and I gave it a good 24 hours but I don't want to be rude so I'll just rephrase what I needed help with.

When I play in game, my torchic back sprite is shiny. The source of the problem I found is that somehow the shiny and normal pallettes are exactly same. I tried uploading it in the normal pallette but it went bakc to shiny. I tried to 'export pallette' but that made it go black. I need someone to help me get the pallettes back to normal. By the way, I'm using unLZ.gba and I'm hacking ruby. I also have done tons of back sprites before so it isn't that I don't know how. Thanks and sorry if I don't make sense or am being a bother.

aka825

Online Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2012
Hey, I was wondering how to change the pokemon moving picture (for example, when you look at your team) without PokePic. Does anyone know a tool that can help me?
Also, i'm looking for a tool that can change music (pokemon cries, battle & town music).
Can anyone help?

Edit:
I accidentally changed my gba files so that they open when I click them. (I use vba) That's why PokePic won't work. If anyone konws how to undo that, that would work for me too.

Last edited:

Prince of the Sea

#1 Manaphy Fan
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2011
repost (sorry)

Quickie... Can I add Pokemon to a RBGY rom? (For example, Chikorita as #152.) If so, then how? A tool would be appreciated.
I reposted this; I hope that's permitted. I have seen Pokémon Brown now, so I know it's possible, but I still don't have a clue how. Please, don't use the sassy "maybe you should screw around in the hex code until something happens lol :P" response.

PureGoober

Minecrafter
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 9, 2014
sadly, no.
if there was then the world would be overrun by ds hacks XD

anyway, is there a tutorial on the ruins of alph puzzle anywhere??

Oh, dang..
Also, do you know where I can get the pics of all D/P/P and HG/SS maps?

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years
Does anyone know how the data for Wild Pokemon is stored in Fire Red? I tried to take a crack at taking an offset for the Header for Wild Pokemon on Route 1 (3C8E90) and looked at it in Hex, but I didn't exactly get what I was expecting...I couldn't really find (what I consider) Hex numbers for the appropriate Pokemon, or their levels. I tried this on a few other offsets, too. No dice.

The reason why I'm trying to figure this out is because I was wondering if it's possible to change which Pokemon appear where using a writebytetooffset command in a script.

I asked this question a few months back, still got no answers, and still found no evidence on how to do it. Anyone got ideas?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I asked this question a few months back, still got no answers, and still found no evidence on how to do it. Anyone got ideas?

I'm not sure where the data is located, but you might want to take a look at JPAN's hacked FR engine in Research & Dev. I'm quite sure that there's a function in there for changing wild Pokemon with a script.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 6, 2011
Does anyone know where I can download IntroEd? One that actually works? I've tried to download it from two different sources and both times it said
usuck.jpg

Can anyone help me out at all?

Champion Victoria

Puella docta
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2011
So this may be a silly question, but...

I edited the female item bag in the Emerald rom (item number 2121) and replaced it with the one from FRLG, but enlarged to account for the additional pockets. I was able to insert the image without repointing, and everything worked great.

Except now I think I want to reorder the way the pockets open, which is as simple as moving things around in the image. But here I have a problem--now if I try to import the image again, unLZ complains that it's too large. So, of course, I use FSF and plug in a new offset--except nothing happens. It doesn't repoint. It doesn't do anything at all.

I'm at a loss at what's wrong. It's not the image itself that's the problem--I can insert it into a fresh ROM just fine. But I have made a lot of tweaks to this one that I'd rather not have to redo, so does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back