• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favourite generation, and why

Your favourite gen

• Gen I

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Gen II

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Gen III

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Gen V

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Gen VI

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Gen VII

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
So this has been something on my mind pretty recently. I haven't really seen a topic about it, or if there is it's probably long dead, so I thought, why not bring it up? The topic in question: what is your favourite generation, and why?

As for me, despite starting in the third generation, I hold Gen V to be amazing. They really went all out with the plot, almost rivalling that of Sun and Moon, and the overall themes to make it feel like a fresh reboot, which is the first time they shook up the formula since the start. There are also some nicely-done areas with some decent backstory, such as the Relic Castle - Chargestone Cave also had some really nice gimmick to it.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I've been playing Pokemon since its beginning with Gen 1, but Gen 2 will probably always be my favorite. It just offered SO much in one game, especially with the ability to visit two regions (what happened to that?) and the moving sprites in Crystal. Not to mention some of my favorite Pokemon anime, legendaries, manga, characters, and movies were about Gen 2 as well. Pokemon Stadium 2 helped seal the deal as well, even more so than the first Pokemon Stadium.

Some of the best times of my childhood was during Gen 2, so that definitely helps me make my decision!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'm not sure. There are things I like about all generations. Except for the first, haha, that is easily the worst one.

Gen 2 is lovely pixly and surprisingly dynamic.
Gen 3 is so smooth and easy to play, plus it has Hoenn
Gen 4's Sinnoh games were the ones I've played that felt the most epic and dramatic, and I like how they made use of the touch screen in all the games.
Gen 5 has maybe the best battle and UI plus I think the sequels was a cool idea.
Gen 6 made perhaps the best use of the touch screen, plus it had Hoenn.
Gen 7 is pretty great overall, despite Alola d:

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Gen 4! It was the first generation I ever experienced outside of watching my sister play Emerald, and it's the one I have the fondest memories of. I remember making a ton of school friends when I was younger due to the release of DPPt when Pokemon became super popular at school. I would also spend hours of my weekend playing DPPt and HG/SS which I find that I can't do anymore when it comes to Pokemon. I also think Sinnoh has one of the most captivating storylines - in particular, I thought the Distortion World, Team Galactic and even journeying with characters such as Cheryl and Buck made the game stand out for me.

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
<p>we stan gen 5 in this section</p><p>I love 3 and 4 as well, but 5 is the gen that really impressed me the most, and interestingly I like it for a lot of the reasons some people dislike it -- it took risks. The fact that BW weren't amazing doesn't bother me much; Game Freak couldn't be expected to get their new formula perfect instantly, and I respect the fact that they were willing to step out of their comfort zone and try some new features a lot more than I'm bothered that some of the features didn't pan out the way they wanted. For what it's worth, I <i>did </i>like most of the changes, and didn't even mind not having any old generation Pok?mon the first time around. Nice tilesets, super cute battle sprites, seasons, new interesting characters that were a hell of a lot better written than almost anyone in generations before or after, and a lot more. BW2 was a masterpiece, and BW did a lot right as well. I'm super disappointed that Gen 6 not only didn't improve in a similar way, it actively removed almost all the features that 5 added.</p>

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
Gen 4 has to be my favourite overall. Sinnoh is my preferred region, its geography, mythology, story, and fauna are amazing. Speaking of fauna, I really like many of the Pok?mon this gen introduced, and it features some of my top choices, including Piplup, Shinx, Glaceon, and Leafeon. Despite being a young teen at the time, I was still pretty young in character, and consider Pearl to be the last Pok?mon game I played as a child. There's just a magic to that.

On the other hand, I got Soul Silver shortly before finishing high school, and it was a powerful experience. I was playing a childhood favourite while taking my first steps into adulthood, I was pretty cheesed about Lyra, but loved everything else about the remakes. It's also at this time that Pok?mon was losing its "lame little kid thing" status, and older fans became more common.

I think it also helps that I was in a good enough state throughout the duration of this generation. High school was decent, family life was stable, and I was pretty healthy (both mentally and physically). I also discovered forums not long after Pearl released, and was thus able to talk Pok?mon with others and made many great friends. I didn't have all the worries and responsibilities of being an adult, but did have some freedom and independence. So, nostalgia for both the games ,and that time in my life, probably helps Gen 4 shine in my books...

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I think maaaybe Gen IV, but mainly because it gave Pok?mon the biggest boost it could've gotten: Wi-Fi connectivity. It's kind of the hinge that connects the older and newer games and I think it's one of the mandatory games to have played if you just start out with Pok?mon, because it contains the best of both.

Every generation has its good points and I love them all, though.

(This answer changes every time it's asked.)

Last edited:
Years
That's a hard question, but I'd say it's a mix of generations one, four, and five. I love generation one due to it being how I got introduced into Pokemon. Exploring all the locations and executing all the glitches was also pretty fun to 8/9 year old me. (and it still is!). I still also love the simple feel of these games

Generation four were the first modern games I obtained, as Platinum was the most recent game at the time when I got it. I love the soundtrack, locations, and characters of Sinnoh, so it still remains one of my top favorites.

Generation five is also one of my favorites due to its improved story and soundtrack when compared to other Pokemon games. It also introduced my favorite Pokemon, Snivy & Serperior.

Years
It's honestly a mix between Gen III, IV, and VII. Like, I had the most memories with Gen III, had the most fun with the replayability of Gen IV, and felt Gen VII was a nice breath of fresh air compared to previous generations.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Gen 2, partially due to nostalgia like any pokemon game, but also because I love the new gen 2 pokemon and their designs, and the Johto region and rivals like Silver. Sure new gens have updated graphics, mechanics, new Pokemon and some have better stories but Gen 2 is charming to me. Less competitive focused too.

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
Years
Gen IV, there're the best Pokemons ever, in my opinion. (Platinum) Gen V is my second favorite. (B2/W2) The IV/V versions have enjoyable systems, too.

Bigjon357

https://discord.gg/HAXrq78
Years
I've been playing Pokemon ever since gen1 came out. I miss those days when Pokemon was simple. Now to be any good at Pokemon battles you have to know algebra! I think my favorite generation is gen 1. It was so simple back in those days!

Eco

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 24, 2020
I really like 3, 4 & 6 GEN. They're really great designs and very powerful creatures but I guess the first generation is classic, and reminds me good times playing against the PC.

If I have to make a TOP 3 they would be:

1. 1GEN
2. 4GEN
3. 3GEN

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Yeahhh it's a tougher question than I figured... I think I adore Gen 4 for the region alone, but when I deeply think about it, all the gens have reasoning for me to become s 'favourite'. Like Gen 1 has nostalgia, and I think has the most of my favourite Gym Lesders (ie Erika and Misty), Gen 2 has pretty good cities and culture (like the Kimono Girls being like guardians of ho-oh), Gen 3 has great music and pretty good evil teams, Gen 5 also has great music and a developed plot with developed characters like N and Cheren/Bianca. Gen 6 I guess would be for the music too, and Gen 7 has a nice development too. :]

Years
Gen III
I've been playing since Gen I and I would have voted for Gen II but I have some major gripes with gen II, particularly with no way to access evolution stones until post game. I never understood how Gen II gave early access to bellsprout and poliwag and never gave you a way to get to their final evolutions until after fighting the elite 4? Why? It annoys me to no end and I wish HG/SS would have fixed this issue more than just random NPC's potentially giving them to you. I did like the early access to elemental punches in Gen II though. Gen III is my favorite because I loved the colors, the layout of Hoenn, the starters, and I liked Aqua/Magma a lot even if they weren't logical villains they were still neat.

I am certainly in the minority but I felt gen IV outside of the Gen II remakes was bland. I just didn't care for any of it and couldn't finish the game due to boredom. No matter how many times I tried by the 5th badge I was pretty much done with the game. Was not a fan of the pokemon designs in that gen either.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Gen4. I mean come on, like my nuzrun says, it's the real best generation.

Ok, jokes aside, it was really good. Most of the new evos were cool, the games are all amazing, it gave us the Physical/Special split which made a lot of weaker mons better to use, and the show was still decent. Also my first generation.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 12, 2018
Gen V has:

Best Music
Best Gym Leaders Designs and Gym Layouts
Best Graphics (Sprites + Animation)
Best
Best Upgraded Version BW2
Beautiful Overworld Layout
PWT is my favorite post-game feature
Favorite Pokemon Selection, REBOOT for the win!
Lilligant, Serperior, Whimsicott, Samurott, Liepard, Leavanny, Volcarona, Galvantula, Mienshao, Hydreigon, Sawsbuck, Mandibuzz, Braviary, Jellicent, Scoliepede, Emolga, Virizion, Chandelure, Musharna, Zebstrika etc.

Cons:
No Battle Facility
Pokemon Musical and Movie Features....AWFUL
No Customization yet

Back