• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Bee tee dubya,

not to be a bother, but I'd just like to throw in that we were planning a revolution, what with community-written guides and all. I realise Astinus was experiencing some computer problems that made this idea have to wait a bit, but are there any plans to start it up again soon? Or is that not possible?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I read it, though it was quite a while ago and I really should go check it out again. I hope that I follow the advice, but I only review, like, once every two months anyways, so I don't get much practice with it.

Yeah, same here pretty much. I usually just comb out grammar mistakes and such, unless a character is blatantly one-dimensional or something along those lines. As for snarkiness, I'm pretty laid-back. If a writer's being a moron and ruffles my feathers, though, I let them know it.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
I tend to try to look for realism and characterization it seems (mostly if the character is rightfully consistent).

However, I believe my reviewing could always do with improvement.

*hunts for the median in reviewing standards*

Bay

Years
Bee tee dubya,

not to be a bother, but I'd just like to throw in that we were planning a revolution, what with community-written guides and all. I realise Astinus was experiencing some computer problems that made this idea have to wait a bit, but are there any plans to start it up again soon? Or is that not possible?
I wonder that too. I think Astinus said all that will be done soon just recently...

Yeah, I read the review guide too and it's very, very good. Yeah, that's why I didn't comment because a review of the review guide would be just that comment. :P When I review, I do try my best to say what I like and what needs to approve (and give advice if I can). I mostly focus on description, characters, and plot. However, it's been a while since I looked at that guide and I might read it again after I get the reviews for the one shot contest at Serebii done.

Hm, this brings me this question:

Would you say a review for a story that was entered in a challenge/contest would be different than a review for a non-entry story? Does it depend if a challenge/contest has some sort of criteria on how the stories will be judged? How would you review for a challenge/contest?
Sorry for asking this. ^^; Reason for it is because a while ago I talked with my friends who had judged contests in different forums before. I know PokeMasters' writing contests have the judges use a points criteria (20 points for grammar/spelling, 30 points for plot, etc.) while the contests in Serebii the reviews are usually anything goes. However, one of the judges for the contest I'm judging told me how she had to condense her reviews so that she doesn't sound long winded, the amount of entries we have, and also she's afraid she might repeat what the other judges might say. Also, I remember talking with some of my friends of the results of one of Serebii's contests and we agreed the reviews weren't detailed and helpful.

So yeah, sort of thinking that as I wonder if Valentine's review guide can be applied to reviews for contests and challenges. Also, I think I'm worried I'll screw reviews for the contests. XD;

*wonders if anyone can understand this O.o*

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Wow, how many pages was that?

Ah well, just dropping in to say hi and answer some questions before I head of to study. I'm having an exam soon and it means I won't be here often anymore so yeah...

I'll drop in occasionally though....

Anyways, these past few days I've been holidaying here
genting-highlands.jpg

(Genting Highlands, Malaysia)
and I have to say it was great.

Now, on to serious business

Would you say a review for a story that was entered in a challenge/contest would be different than a review for a non-entry story? Does it depend if a challenge/contest has some sort of criteria on how the stories will be judged? How would you review for a challenge/contest?
I'd review by using the contest review criteria and such.

And bye....

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Anyways, these past few days I've been holidaying here
genting-highlands.jpg

(Genting Highlands, Malaysia)

I play this card.
8136_1.JPG

Coincidentally, that rainbow-y building resembles the Rio in Las Vegas.

I'd probably go more in-depth with a contest entry, and compare it to other entries in order to explain the scores I gave and whatnot. And criteria would always factor in...not sure how it wouldn't.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

I don't usually do reviews anyway. But pretending I do for the sake of the question, I would probably treat it as any other fic up for reviewing - unless the contest requires emphasis on a certain criteria, in which case I would just critique that as well.

Bay

Years
Oh, I remember seeing that that when I was staying at Las Vegas for a few days. My dad, sister, and I were taking a walking tour of the city during nighttime and we saw that building. I think we went inside that place too. XD Man, I want to visit Las Vegas again one day...

And thanks guys so far who answered my question. Yeah, pretty much the only criteria for Serebii contests usually is it has to relate to the contests' theme (the one I'm judging has Johto as the theme). Usually in those contests the judges look at how well the writer fits the theme in the story and then they can look at other stuff like grammar, characters, plot, etc. Liked I said, pretty much anything goes. Hm, I noticed that my reviews for the contests are different than the ones I usually review. They're more detailed, more ranty, more helpful and more longer. XD

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

Hey, don't apologize for asking a good question.

Personally, I think that it depends on whether or not you're a judge. If you're not a judge, you should probably see it as just another fic (although if you want, you could mention how well the contest theme was handled), so you'd review it as you should for anything else. After all, you're not the one making the decision for how that fic ranks compared to the others, so it's really just a standalone fic to you, if that makes sense.

If you are a judge, you actually have to be more critical because the main goal is not only to help the author improve but also figure out who's got the best fic. Even a tiny slip up in a fic could drop it from tied for first place to sitting comfortably in second.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Bee tee dubya,

I thought no one cared about that anymore.

I also believe that it would be pointless, seeing as how people essentially admitted to not reading the stickies that would help them not get smacked.

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend my time writing up a long guide when people have difficulties following a simple sentence that I spent time making sure they knew existed.

You know, simple things like:

All reviews must be constructive.

Like it? Have a few more.

Don't mini-mod.

which comes along with

Use the report button.

So is my computer back to normal and everything is fine on my end? Yes, it is. Do I want to restart making guides and making sure other people keep on track? Not particularly. Very few people here actually read the rules that are in place (and if you haven't read the rules when they're updated, I have a real-life modstick I want to smack you with) that I spent time making sure are simple enough to understand. Very few people here also don't have the sense to realize that they are not the moderator and should not be making mod-level decisions about threads. Nor should regular members ignore rule-breaking posts. There's a little triangle on the corner of every post that you can click on. It won't bite you. I swear.

I'd say it does depend on if the story has a theme, and if I am an actual judge for the contest.

If it has a theme, I would focus on seeing if the story followed that theme well enough. If I'm an actual judge, then I would be focusing more on finding everything wrong with the story that I can. Since, when I do review, I tend to focus on what I'm comfortable in reviewing/saying. If reviewing for a contest, everything would be mentioned in a review that I can think of (whether good or bad) because it's being judged.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
-crawls out of hole- Mewssakes...it's been eight months since I've actually written anything. Hoo boy.

Uhm, are we talking about reviews? I don't review much...I'm not very good at giving advice, so I end up not being very helpful. -scratches back of neck- That, and I have a lot of stylistic problems myself. Mainly I give concept help, originality checks, stuff like that.

For writing challenges...unless you're a judge, I'd have to say review like it was any other fic, I guess. Except for one thing - comment on the author's use of the plot. Was it original, was it creative? Of course, with a topic as broad as 'Johto', there's not much to say...

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Also, on more on-topic note, how many people have actually read Reviewing and You? All the way through?
I have. Although every time I look back in that topic, you seem to have added something I don't remember being there the last time I read it. Not that it's really significant, because, well... I don't think I've ever posted a single review to anything on PC. Oh, wait, I reviewed an old version of MKD sometime a few years ago, didn't I? Outside of that, though, pretty much nothing. I don't even really go to the main Fan Fiction forum. Which makes my presence here kind of odd, but whatever.

That said, I had a reasonably comprehensive philosophy on reviewing before reading it, so it didn't change much about my reviewing. It's a good guide, though.

Well, there definitely is a difference. Normally, when you review, you are doing it specifically for the author. When you're a judge reviewing contest entries, on the other hand, you're primarily doing it to determine which story deserves to win the contest, and although you should also try to help the author, that takes second place.

Thus, I'd say a contest judge review should focus more on detailing the good and bad points in the story and less on providing suggestions for how to fix it (there should probably still be some of that, of course, but you should not go into elaborate detail on how something ought to have been worded, or correcting individual instances of spelling/grammar mistakes, or something like that). There should also be more of a focus on how the good and bad points outweigh one another and the overall impression of the end result: in an ordinary review I tend to comment a lot on individual parts (this was not well worded, the writing in this scene was particularly effective, this sentence is confusing; this character is fascinating, so is this one, this one is kind of bland) but if judging a contest I'd mostly speak of overall impressions of each aspect of writing while mentioning parts that might be particularly noteworthy examples of what I'm saying (there were some strangely or confusingly worded parts, but also scenes where the writing worked very well, such as this one; most of the characters are well written, but this one feels lacking in comparison). As mentioned before, it is also nice to compare the entry to other entries in the contest to give a better idea of why you placed the entries as you did.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I like my reviews to point out areas for improvement and things I like, which is what I would do in a contest. So in that sense, no. But if there is certain special criteria for the contest, then I'll be keeping an eye out for that more than I would everything else (eg. if the contest was "funniest fic", I would look out for jokes and humour more).

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
Years

Like Citrinin said, not really, but if there is a form of criteria it must follow, I have to focus on that more than the other things I look for.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
:S Is that test fanfic post supposed to be legit? (perhaps a note made in their mod forum), as I had reported it a while back.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Ah okay. Just thought I'd mention it.

Btw changed the avatar eh? XD Another Digimon one ;)

Mind you I really liked the animation styles used in the first and second movie.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2009
For those of you who might've had wanted to see my writing, the good news is that I have a story in the making, that I will post when I actually get around to to write it. I have bits and pieces of it, but I can't seem to connect them together, and I am linear, so I am trying to write the prologue first, but I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back