Creator of UnovaHGSS

Male
Seen December 21st, 2016
Posted September 12th, 2013
39 posts
8 Years
HGSS - Kris as Female Protagonist
Rom info:
Hack of: Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (USA)
Language: English
Current Version: 2.0
Last Updated: 18th July, 2012

Summary
This is a simple hack of HGSS, where Lyra is replaced by Kris, the female protagonist introduced in Pokémon Crystal. There are a few minor glitches, but these are mostly negligible. All that is changed in this patch is the graphics, as well as any mention of 'Lyra' with 'Kris'.

Screenshots:

Videos:

Credits:
Tools used:
Spoiler:
• Hex Workshop (hex editing many things)
• CrystalTile2 (graphics editing)
• PokeTEX (graphics editing)
• thenewpoketext (text editing)
• Tile Molester (graphics editing)
• PPRE (compiling rom)
• Kiwi (NDS file extractor)
• Pokémon DS/Pic Platinum (graphics editing)
• Windows 7 Paint (graphics editing)
• Windows XP Paint (retains palette of exported battle sprite image – allows me to copy and paste a new sprite into the game over the temporary sprites without worrying about palette screw-ups)
• Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 (compiling graphics to 8bpp)
• Xdelta (creating patch)
• DeSmuME (testing game on computer)
• Pokesav HGSS (editing save file for testing purposes)

Kimba616 - DeviantArt – for making all the Kris sprites. Link

S-Laughtur - DeviantArt – for making the full-art Kris sprite in the intro. Link

Someone – a kind anon on 4chan sent me his work on a rom hack like this one, entitled 'Pokemon SpiritCrystal', from which I extracted Kris' backsprites from.

Bugs:
Spoiler:
- The backsprite will temporarily revert to Lyra's palette when entering a Wild battle, though it corrects itself soon after. I don't quite know why, but it is exhibited in the video.
- Trainer Card sprite and the overworld sprite shown when naming your character is still Lyra. I don't know where the sprites are located, but they will be changed if I can find them.
- The large art mugshot in the intro is still Lyra, but this is because I haven't found one made for Kris. When one is made, I'll replace it.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
- Version 2 - Most bugs fixed, added more supplemental sprites, and corrected compatibility with both versions.
- Version 1 - pretty much everything except that which is listed in the Bugs section

Downloads and Documentation:
Link to patch and xdelta (used to patch the original rom)

blue

gucci

Male
United Kingdom
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
21,063 posts
11.6 Years
Apart from the slight changes I can see this being popular, alot of Gold & Silver fans will be made up with this so kudos to you for this project.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori

Age 27
Male
Abyss of Time, Great Seal
Seen August 5th, 2018
Posted July 3rd, 2018
14,530 posts
11.1 Years
Am I the only one who thinks there shouldn't have -had- to be a hack for this, and that Lyra shouldn't have even existed?
Why do I see the meme instead of your post?
Well... anyways... the majority of fans prefer Lyra maybe due to nostalgy or something so you may not be the only one but you belong to minority that don't like Lyra ;)
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS

Male
Seen December 21st, 2016
39 posts
8 Years
New patch is up! Changes detailed in changelog in original post.

Interesting note: while I was searching the rom for the location of the mini-sprite used to denote the location of the player on the Town Map, I found a file with the icons of the playable characters, Raikou, Entei, and Suicine (as expected). But, instead of Lyra, it had a blue-haired female, which I assume is Kris. I'm not sure if this has been found by anyone before, but it's confirmation that Game Freak did in fact have Kris in the game at one point (or at least used her as a debug for the map icons). Just thought this was pretty cool :D The file is located in a/1/4/2 for anyone that's interested (in Tinke, it's file 22 IIRC). This Kris mini-icon is the one used in the patch, and is pictured in the original post.

Let me know if you find any other bugs not noted in the original post!
Seen July 30th, 2012
Posted July 25th, 2012
20 posts
11.6 Years
Thanks for the awesome patch. Kris has a much better character design than Lyra. Everything works great as far as I can see (Mr. Pokemon's house if you really need to know). However, I tried combining this with the pre-alpha of Moemon soulsilver and I ran into graphical glitches. The strange part is that this hack by itself doesn't have these glitches and neither does the moemon hack, but when I use this patch on the moemon hack, the totodile on the intro cutscene and the marill that Oak releases have palette problems. Does your hack change any of the palettes?

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.

Seen February 1st, 2018
Posted November 20th, 2017
534 posts
11.5 Years

Why do I see the meme instead of your post?
Well... anyways... the majority of fans prefer Lyra maybe due to nostalgy or something so you may not be the only one but you belong to minority that don't like Lyra ;)
Uh, so this patch is made for a minority of people who preferred Kris?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori

Age 27
Male
Abyss of Time, Great Seal
Seen August 5th, 2018
Posted July 3rd, 2018
14,530 posts
11.1 Years
Uh, so this patch is made for a minority of people who preferred Kris?
Damn... now I see why I hate English names... I must use Japanese names otherwise I won't be able to explain it...

So once again...

the majority of fans prefer Lyra Kris maybe due to nostalgy or something so you may not be the only one but you belong to minority that don't like Lyra Kris
So to answer your question, this is patch for majority of fans that like Kris more than Kotone.
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS

Male
Seen December 21st, 2016
39 posts
8 Years
Which tools you use to find and hack Kris sprite in the intro?

I don't know how to make me find and hack the image of intro.

Which tools you use to find and hack Kris sprite in the intro?

I don't know how to make me find and hack the image of intro.
I used Tinke to look through all the files in the rom (fun) and then Tile Molester/CrystalTile to change the files and palettes.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer

Age 24
Male
Kokomo, IN
Seen September 17th, 2017
Posted April 19th, 2016
380 posts
7.1 Years
[CENTER]HGSS - Kris as Female Protagonist

Bugs:
- The backsprite will temporarily revert to Lyra's palette when entering a Wild battle, though it corrects itself soon after. I don't quite know why, but it is exhibited in the video.
- Trainer Card sprite and the overworld sprite shown when naming your character is still Lyra. I don't know where the sprites are located, but they will be changed if I can find them.
- The large art mugshot in the intro is still Lyra, but this is because I haven't found one made for Kris. When one is made, I'll replace it.

Have you made any progress on squashing these bugs yet? I'm kind of sensitive to the idea of encountering them…

FenrirDarkWolf

Water Musician Fenrir

Male
Seen November 10th, 2013
Posted July 13th, 2013
140 posts
6.5 Years
I'm sorry for talking on kinda a dead zone, but, I found a sprite set with a complete set for Kris except for Pokeathelon sprites...
http://gregarlink10.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-Crystal-female-trainer-HG-SS-Style-341436094
I mean, if it's still be worked on and all. If you aren't, do you think you could help me hack into this game so I could try it myself...
Sorry for the spaces there...

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer

Age 24
Male
Kokomo, IN
Seen September 17th, 2017
Posted April 19th, 2016
380 posts
7.1 Years
I'm sorry for talking on kinda a dead zone, but, I found a sprite set with a complete set for Kris except for Pokeathelon sprites...
http://gregarlink10.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-Crystal-female-trainer-HG-SS-Style-341436094
I mean, if it's still be worked on and all. If you aren't, do you think you could help me hack into this game so I could try it myself...
Sorry for the spaces there...
If this thread is so dead, why don't you try to revive it by pinging the guy who started with a personal message or an e-mail and ask him if you can take over the project?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Red: Ride 'em, Yoshi! Yeehaw!
Yoshi: Wango!

NOTE: Please send me a private message if you have an extra copy of the special Mew that GameFreak distributed to owners of Generation III games on September 30th, 2006, and can think of a good place where we can meet for a trade.

seeker

Ireland
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted May 20th, 2018
10,576 posts
10.4 Years
If this thread is so dead, why don't you try to revive it by pinging the guy who started with a personal message or an e-mail and ask him if you can take over the project?
Hey there, please refrain from posting in threads in which have not been posted in in over a month. Just be sure to check the dates in future buddy. Gonna close this one, so have a nice day!

Locked.
Advertiser Content