• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

>Dante< Tutorial: How to change correctly the Intro hero in FR/LG

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I thought that IrfanView would work instead of Photoshop because it allows palette importing, but for some reason or another it doesn't let me import the palette. Is there a way around this?

Hm. It seems that IrfanView doesn't accept palette files in .ACT format, only .PAL. I'm not sure if there is a solution for this problem but you can always get Gimp. It's free and it works fine with this tutorial!

tehGDS

Grape Soda wut?
Years
when I try saving it as .act and then try loading it keeps appearing as a .pal for some reason so I tried load ing a .pal tried it again it works :p

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
Years
Hi Steven ^ ^
The tutorial is good, but I did it by intuition, the truth, I have only one question
What is the address of the background of Oak?
The palette and look for me: P

I sue Google Traductor, I Spanish :P

tehGDS

Grape Soda wut?
Years
click on 256 color in unlz, then go to the number he made you go to, click on next button two times, thenthe minus sign :)

Español:

haga clic en 256 colores en la UNLZ, a continuación, vaya al número que le hizo ir a, haga clic en el botón siguiente dos veces, el signo menos :)

Used Google Translate

Years
Hey, I love the tutorial and it mostly worked, but I have one problem.
messup.png

Whenever I try to import the character, his palette is all messed up. I made sure only to use colors that were already being used in the original sprite image, but it didn't seem to keep the palette upon importing. Any help?

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
Uhm, for some reason.
My Visual Boy Advance only saves the palette in .PAL, everyime I click .ACT it saves it as .PAL, ****ing weird. But PS wont open .PAL so I have a problem :/

Using Win7 32bit.

Edit: Fixed it, works with VBA 1.6!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2011
So I'm probably the biggest noob on this forum...I just got interested in hacking poke roms after seeing some of the hacks others have done, and I stumbled across this while searching how to hack the game's intro. I followed the directions as written, but I'm still struggling with something in particular--I can't seem to get the background color to be transparent. My apologies for posting such a trifling request, but i need a little help please. Please and thank you (:

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2012
>Dante< you are awesome. i created this pokemoncommunity account to tell you that. also for all the other people reading this, you can download a 30 day trial of adobe photoshop cs5 if u just google "adobe photoshop cs5 free download".

droomph

weeb
Years
So I'm probably the biggest noob on this forum...I just got interested in hacking poke roms after seeing some of the hacks others have done, and I stumbled across this while searching how to hack the game's intro. I followed the directions as written, but I'm still struggling with something in particular--I can't seem to get the background color to be transparent. My apologies for posting such a trifling request, but i need a little help please. Please and thank you (:
The first color in any pallet should always be a light-green color. Try looking for the first color in the pallet, and use that instead.
when i go to import my sprite, it says "image is not indexed" and then won't do anything. :/ help?
It needs to be 4bpp, or 16 colors. Go download Irfanview (Google is your friend), and then find an option to decrease the "color depth" (I don't remember where), and select 16 colors, or 4bpp.

Also, if it's made from a computer using a newer OS, like Windows 7 or Snow Leopard, will always be rejected for some reason. Try using Windows XP instead if you're not already.

@OP Why would you waste 2 hours (and $500) downloading Photoshop when you could just take, like, five minutes to find the right pallet? And even so, unLZ usually gives you the right pallet most of the time anyways.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
This is just a note, when placing the palette for the professor in my game the palette was not the one listed at the beginning of this tutorial.

Last edited:

Casha674

opZEtiROma
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 19, 2016
Could Someone make a video on how to do this ? Please Help :((

I'm new in this site and new to rom hacking -,-

PLease help I'm Hacking Pokemon Fire Red :(( PLease Dante ! Help !

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2013
i will try this, and is it just me or is the guy you are replacing the original sprite with looks high

Years
The first color in any pallet should always be a light-green color. Try looking for the first color in the pallet, and use that instead.

I am having the same problem with the heroine that I replaced for FR (my greenish background won't go transparent and instead black is transparent).
When I check on APE for the pallette, the light green color IS first... and my black is the next two colors. Help?

Also, APE confuses me in general and I am not sure if my heroine palette #1 is supposed to be the same of different from my heroine palette #2 in the end...?

Last, Dante, great tutorial. It took a long time for me to even get this far, and although a lot of your explanations were confusing, your basic steps got me past a lot of bugs I have been having with other tutorials! So thanks!

Back