• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
Is this even a question? I've been to points where I out level those stupid Slakings by like 10 levels with a freaking Breloom and do like no damage. Norman is the toughest. Liz and Tate is easy if you have 2 pokemon with surf.

Ultimate Uchiha

Switchin' It Up
Years
Juan in emerald was always a pain for me and the only thing that made it difficult was that Kingdra of his. If I didn't already have a Flygon or Salemence then this match would always be a pain.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2018
I never really had much a problem with any of the gym leaders, really. Until I decided to try the Nuzlocke challenge, that is. Man, Wattson must've made me restart completely at least. . . twice? Yeah, I'll go with that. XD

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2012
am i the only one that had troubles with Roxanne? way too strong for the stage in the game

Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2019
Winona wrecked my team with her altaria all the other gyms i had no losses while she beat me like 7 times before i got my aggron and swampert

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I don't have trouble with any of them anymore, but when I was younger it was always Winona and Juan who kept kicking my butt. I'm not even sure why; I guess I just sucked haha. Nowadays I just train properly and power through.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I think I recall Tate and Liza taking a while during my first playthrough. I've always been pretty horrible at balancing my training with my Pokémon, so it was usually the Pokémon that were weak against them that were of the highest level. Also the fact that I always seemed to forget what typing Lunatone and Solrock were because of their designs.

Wallace was also a pretty hard one with that Milotic, so he'd probably come in second.

Years
Oh my God. I remember it clear as day. It was terrible. Flannery kicked my ash. Haha Pokemon humor. anyway i didnt have a ground type or water type on my team so i often call flannerys gym hell because it was hard and it was a fire gym. I remember it took about 12 tries for me to win. Thats why nowadays I get a water type early!

Shiny

content creator on twitch
Years
In many of my games, the hardest would have to be Watson. At that early stage in the game his Magneton's steel typing was difficult to counter, as well as his Manectric's speed and power.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Tate & Liza, I was never prepared for a Double Battle. :c

Wallace was hard when I decided to solo with Blaziken, but I think I only won because I was waaay overleveled.

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
My first time playing Sapphire way back in '03, I got owned hard by Norman. This is the point where the game's difficulty really stepped up a notch, and basically said, "You've had some experience, now let's see what you can really do!" This is also fitting for a battle against the main character's father. I had to battle him several times before I finally beat him because I underestimated Slaking due to its Truant ability. Now that I'm older and more experienced, though, all of the Gym Leaders are fairly easy.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Norman, followed by Wallace/Juan. 2 underleveled Slaking in R/S was too much to handle and even though Norman had only 1 Slaking in Emerald, it was still hard taking it out. Wallace's Milotic was hard to beat too; same goes for Juan's Kingdra.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 4, 2020
The first time I played Sapphire (which was when I was like 5 or something) I would have a hard time fighting Wattson just because the only ground type I had was my Marshtomp and I didn't know anything about Pokemon at the time. It probably would've helped if the rest of my team wasn't all part flying type. (Taillow, Wingull, Beautifly)

But I think Norman was definitely the most evil. It took me about 8 tries to beat him, then I drop my Gameboy and the game falls out and I have to fight him like 4 more times. Everyone else wasn't too hard. Nothing I couldn't handle once I got a hang of things.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I found a lot of the Hoenn gym leaders hard but of course I was a nooby back than. The hardest I have to say were the twins...it took several tries against them in Emerald and in Sapphire to finally beat them... Also Juan was pretty hard, especially without a good strong electric Pokémon

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2017
The twins practically murdered me primarily because i had no good water Pokemon. But with help of hyper potions my Blaziken eventually overpowered them. Norman was'nt hard at all cause my Blaziken's double kick destroyed him and slaking would loaf around all the time

Years
Whenever I started with Treecko, Wattson, his Magneton was evil. I used to train Grovyle to Lv. 29 for Leaf Blade before I'd have a chance at beating him.

Otherwise, Tate & Liza. A sudden 8 level jump from the last gym was shocking if you were unprepared for it.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Damn, now this one's tough. There's alot to choose from. Wattson's Magneton Flannery's Torkoal and Norman's Slaking.

Oh, god...Those Slaking. I had to play the stall game wif em, using Pelipper's Protect and Water Gun to take advantage of that Truant ability. LOL I also had to give it a Leppa Berry.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Winona. Thought you could use an Electric-type to breeze (no pun intended) through her team? Well, what a surprise when she starts mowing down your team with her Altaria with Dragon Dance and Earthquake.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Norman...Slaking is a tank.

I'm doing a bug monotype challenge, and it seems like they are all going to give me trouble, bar Tate and Liza. I really really hate Norman though, since I never picked torchic, or caught any fighting types, I have to 5 hit ko slaking, who can one shot almost all of my pokemon at that point.

Back