• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon FireRed Minus (GBC demake)

Sotireon

Strong pokemon. Weak Pokemon.
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
Oh I cant believe I just noticed this!! I'm working on adding more nostalgic RBY graphics onto Pokemon Throwback, since that already has the awesome 8-bit tunes to match. I have been wanting to edit maps to be remakes of the same old school RBY maps, but I seem to have trouble with tilesets,
So I just work on RB sprite revamps and RB Overworld sprite revamps. Woould love to combine these maps with my sprites, and with FRed Throwbacks music patch!! Is there a beta release coming? I will post some sprites to motivate you haha

Years
Hey everyone! Progress with scripts is kinda hard to show through screenshots and I figured since I've been away for so long, why not post a video. So here is Bill's scene made to be more accurate to the original Gen 1. I'd show a comparison between this and the original version but I don't have any video editing software and my computer's kinda runnin low on memory. so here it is! I really hope to be able to make a lot of progress this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2URI1qHx1Q

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 19, 2018
Hey everyone! Progress with scripts is kinda hard to show through screenshots and I figured since I've been away for so long, why not post a video. So here is Bill's scene made to be more accurate to the original Gen 1. I'd show a comparison between this and the original version but I don't have any video editing software and my computer's kinda runnin low on memory. so here it is! I really hope to be able to make a lot of progress this year.

????

Keep up the good work!
I simply adore the look and feel of Kanto in this refurbished classic style. Awesome project!

Years
today i decided to do some work on the battle hud. as you can see, i used easyaspi314's mockup and added it into the game. the "EXP" text next to the exp bar was my edit tho. i wanted to get it in the same style as the "HP:" text. it's still a work in progress obviously. i tried looking up how to edit the font but didn't really find anything super helpful so i'll look into it later but i'm done for the day.

Ddnsp0c.png
7RBmTgQ.png

Years
hey guys. i've done a lot of work on FR- this week so I thought I'd share an update. I've been doing some merging of the different aspects of the hack such as the Pokemon sprites and the OWs. The Pokemon sprites went along smoothly, but I ran into troubles with the OWs. in the end, I had to reimport every single one which took a while. Not all of them are done, but there's a good chunk. I'm thinking about updating the OP with some things I need help on/features I can't implement myself so if you wanna help, be sure to let me know. shoot me a PM or message me on discord. since this is a heftier update, I'll describe most of the changes represented in the screenshots:

NqvGu9D.png

SS Anne sprite added. script for the player leaving the dock after the ship leaves has also been properly edited.
L78W9sc.png

the second textbox style is now moved to the first slot. also edited the palette to match GSC.
PyKD3z1.png

showing off some of the OWs in the vermilion gym. The electric locks script hides the appropriate sprites!
y3Y9Dj2.png

All NPC text uses the default color. This will look better once I figure out where the palette for the fonts are located.
G5qaROp.png

In addition to the battle backgrounds being blanked out, the palette for the "What will X do?" text now matches GSC. Also, I'm planning on updating certain Pokemon's back sprites to take advantage of the 64x64 space while still retaining the gen 2 look and palette limitations.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 5, 2023
Looks great! Wish it also made the game harder, though.

Last edited:
Years
well, if there are some difficulty patches that just change the trainers pokemon and nothing else (like their location on the map) i dont see a reason why it would be incompatible with this

Years
hey guys, sorry for the hiatus. i got a summer job and wasn't able to work on the hack. here's some screenies of the rocket game corner. i actually had to expand the map dimensions for this one, so lets hope that doesn't royally fuck anything up. enjoy :)

2gSHBTM.png
ycigtlP.png

Last edited:

Sotireon

Strong pokemon. Weak Pokemon.
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
Hey krustykong!!! Your recent progress on this hack is amazing!!!! So impressed with your battle bud and maps and classic OW imports!! They do take a lot of time to manually import with NSE!! I read you were looking for the palette offsets of the textboxes?? NSE regular has the main fire red text box in one of its default bookmarks. You can open tge textbox and edit it manually. The colors in the middle of the palette, grey, lite gray, blue, lite blue, red, lite red are the font colors that the game uses for gender text and neutral text. You can make the colors darker or all black to match GSC style perhaps. And if u choose to edit the textbox design and frame, you have to draw on it manually within NSE, importing graphics here doesnt work :(
I would love to help you with recreating the GSC Font style if you want??

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2019
This is looking fantastic, loving it so much!

What's the plan for the Sevii Islands?
Are you keeping them in?

Years
Hey krustykong!!! Your recent progress on this hack is amazing!!!! So impressed with your battle bud and maps and classic OW imports!! They do take a lot of time to manually import with NSE!! I read you were looking for the palette offsets of the textboxes?? NSE regular has the main fire red text box in one of its default bookmarks. You can open tge textbox and edit it manually. The colors in the middle of the palette, grey, lite gray, blue, lite blue, red, lite red are the font colors that the game uses for gender text and neutral text. You can make the colors darker or all black to match GSC style perhaps. And if u choose to edit the textbox design and frame, you have to draw on it manually within NSE, importing graphics here doesnt work :(
I would love to help you with recreating the GSC Font style if you want??

I got most of the textbox stuff done (or i know how to edit) except for the "FIGHT POK?MON BAG RUN" sprites and palette. also for some reason, the arrow for continuing the text messes up when in the battle screen but is fine in the OW.
ifOgZsI.png

I'm not sure you can create a true GSC font because the characters are wider than the GBA ones.

This is looking fantastic, loving it so much!

What's the plan for the Sevii Islands?
Are you keeping them in?

Sevii Islands will most likely be unavailable in the initial downloads cuz I'd have to do a lot of the work myself in designing GSC styled maps for them and I never really liked them in the first place.

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I'm just sorta curious though, do you plan to add Johoto as a post game region? I mean, I feel that it will go really well and feel more like a "Reverse" sequel.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2019
I got most of the textbox stuff done (or i know how to edit) except for the "FIGHT POK?MON BAG RUN" sprites and palette. also for some reason, the arrow for continuing the text messes up when in the battle screen but is fine in the OW.
ifOgZsI.png

I'm not sure you can create a true GSC font because the characters are wider than the GBA ones.

Sevii Islands will most likely be unavailable in the initial downloads cuz I'd have to do a lot of the work myself in designing GSC styled maps for them and I never really liked them in the first place.

Is anything going to be in it's place?
Sevii Islands served purpose of introduction to the national dex, and Johto Pok?mon.
They'd need to be some substitute, unless national is just ready from the get-go.

Years
I'm just sorta curious though, do you plan to add Johoto as a post game region? I mean, I feel that it will go really well and feel more like a "Reverse" sequel.

i really would like to do that, but that wont be for a while if it gets done at all. maybe about as long as it will take to get the v1.0 out, since in johto, i'd have to make all the scripts from scratch.

Is anything going to be in it's place?
Sevii Islands served purpose of introduction to the national dex, and Johto Pokémon.
They'd need to be some substitute, unless national is just ready from the get-go.

johto if anything. national dex really isnt that necessary. i'll probably have it as an option you can get after the first gym or something. can't be any more specific than that cuz i really haven't thought about it much and it's very low priority.

Back