• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Where to start...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
Portgas_D_Ace_Cosplay_full_814803.jpg

Kia Ora Pokemon fans!

I have started this thread because I want to get into the Pokemon game buzz and don't really know what game to start off with or what games the real Pokemon gamer's recommend for a newbie. Also what other games are really cool that you enjoy to play that I might like a lot (I'm into modern).

First things first: I obtained a heap of Pokemon ROMs for Nintendo DS, Gameboy Colour ROMs and Gameboy Advance Roms.

These are the games I have and emulators I have:

DS
Mysoft DS emultaor

Games:
Pokemon Dash
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Trozei

Gameboy Advance
VisualBoyAdvance.exe

Games:
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red
Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Sapphire

Gameboy Colour
VisualBoyAdvance.exe

Games:
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Pinball
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Pokemon Yellow

If you can read this text, thank you.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Replace your random DS emulator with DeSmuME for better compatibility.
As for where to start... you can pretty much start whenever you want.
It depends if you ever played something before.
You can start with Fire Red/Leaf Green for the 1st generation nostalgia and then continue with Hoenn games and slowly continue generation after generation to generation 5 or even 6.

Years
Ok so, someone already asked this, and I believe I gave a good advice, so I will tell you what I told them.

1. If you want to play game with great/moder graphic, start with Gen 3(Emerald) or Gen 4(Platinum)

2. If you are fine old graphic, I suggest Gen 1 (Yellow, Blue, Red) or Gen 2 (Crystal)

However

3. If you want to play Pokemon just for it, catching Pokemon and finishing the game, then go with Gen 3/4.

4. If you, however, want to get that special "feel" about Pokemon, and fully enjoy and learn abut Pokemon, then I strongly advise you to start with Gen 1, then Gen2, 3 4 etc.

If you take up the gen 3 first, you are most likely going to find gen 1 and 2 outdated, slow and boring. Not because it really is, but because new generations are so uch ahead of it.

I am personally going to start whole main game from start, from 1 to...the end. With few pauses during which I will play some spinoff games.

And also. You might want to consider what kind of game you want. Game where you catch Pokemon, or where you just befriend them for mission (Pokemon ranger) or where you are an actual Pokemon (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series)
It would the best for you to check the list of Pokemon games, and their gameplays.

Anyway, welcome to Pokemon world, world where effing Zubats and Tentacools fun never ends! :D

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
For emulators, get DesMuMe. You can easily download it from the internet for free. Just Google up DesMuMe emulator and viola~ As for VisualBoyAdvance, it works perfectly fine. Go ahead with it!

As for games, I highly recommend you start with Red/Blue/Yellow first. Since you must be pretty new to Pokemon, it's the first generation and will get things rolling and will help you learn a lot more about the games in general. You can then proceed to the next generation and then the next and so on.

The order of the games is:

Red/Blue/Yellow -> Gold/Silver/Crystal -> Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald -> Pearl/Diamond/Platinum -> Black/White -> Black2/White2

in that order. You can play them in any order you prefer though. It's entirely up to you. c:

Also, there are a few spinoffs which I have played and can strongly recommend to you. They are Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (PMD): Explorers of Darkness/Time and PMD: Explorers of Sky. Darkness/Time are somewhat similar, but Time has a slightly different storyline. Although the concept isn't quite the same as the original Pokemon games, it's a must-play!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or anyone else. All the best! c:

Cossolotto32

Pokemon Collector!
Years
BTW I have no idea what gens are.

Gens are generations...as in Kanto(Red,Blue,Firered,Leafgreen) is the first generation, then Johto(Gold, Silver, Crystal, HGSS), then Hoenn(Ruby, Saphirre, Emerald), then Shinnoh(Diamond, Peral, Platinum) and finally Unova( Black/White(2))

Each generation has its own set of pokemon that are native to that region!

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
Gens are generations...as in Kanto(Red,Blue,Firered,Leafgreen) is the first generation, then Johto(Gold, Silver, Crystal, HGSS), then Hoenn(Ruby, Saphirre, Emerald), then Shinnoh(Diamond, Peral, Platinum) and finally Unova( Black/White(2))

Each generation has its own set of pokemon that are native to that region!

OMG thanks so much for that I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out gens.

Is this a good way to start
Red/Blue/Yellow then up?

Also I was wonder who here is an EXPERT on Pokemon trading cards, I have a few questions about that.

Thanks for the speedy reply's!

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Pokémon TCG is a whole other beast which isn't suited for the General Pokémon Gaming discussions.

I think you might get a bad impression with the first generation games, because they are incredibly unpolished. However, if you want to start in the old era and get a fulfilling feeling from the games, start with Gold or Silver (generation II). Those games are packed with awesomeness and goodies beyond what Yellow could ever dream to accomplish.

If you'd rather get the feel of the recent games, start with Ruby or FireRed for the Game Boy Advance. With the third generation came a whole overhaul of the games' graphics, storyline, and inner working.

It really all depends on your true taste. But, how can you find that out unless you try them both? :D

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
My idea for you brother would be this. Start with fR and lG; from there bump up to hG and sS, then continue to Ruby or Sapphire. Then to D or P and go the rest of the way up from there.

RB/GS are indeed unpolished and down-right broken. The reboots of RB and GS are much better and balanced. Plus you won't have to feel the harsh transition from Pokémon with natures to Pokémon without.

Cossolotto32

Pokemon Collector!
Years
I would personally start with HeartGold and SoulSilver. You start out in the second generation but after you beat it you can go back to the first, it's badass

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I would personally start with HeartGold and SoulSilver. You start out in the second generation but after you beat it you can go back to the first, it's badass

Right, but wouldn't it be better if he experienced Kanto before Johto? Instead of experiencing it post-game in hG and sS? Where he wouldn't really appreciate the changes in the 3 year gap?

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
Years
Kia Ora fellow kiwi.

I'd recommend Fire Red or Leaf Green first. Since they're remakes of the original games you can get a really good feel for the series. Then you can continue with the 2nd gen remakes, Heart Gold or Soul Silver, all the way up until you reach Black 2 & White 2.

As for other games, have you tried the Fire Emblem series? Its a turn-based strategy game, with great character development and story. Be careful though, the games are fairly challenging and unforgiving when a character dies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You've gotten a ton of replies that I think you can work with. But next time you have a question about where to start in the series, please use the General Pokemon Gaming Q&A thread please!

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back