• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

People from 30 states threaten secession from the United States

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think its both sad and funny. 4 years ago, YAY OBAMA! Now...Ugh Obama...lets leave the nation and make our own and blame everything on government instead of our dislike of the president.

I don't personally have any care for who is in power. A lot of micro managing could be more beneficial to helping our economic needs, but a lot of the time people just want to put the blame of someone else instead of solving the issue. Yes the government could put less spending to overseas work and purchases and spend more time, effort, and money on things our nation needs like better schools and more stable jobs. The economy needs to be fixed, but that still requires heavy foreign trade, more selling than buyin really.

Also Live to quote National Treasure, the United States was founded on the idea of treason. Should we have lost, the founding fathers would have been arrested, quartered, stoned, and burned for their treason.

While the laws laid down after that period were made to prevent domestic uprisal like in the past, doesn't change the fact that all of our ancestors (those of brit decent) committed treason against their home country for religious freedom and freedom from persecution. XD

So treason is very American. Which is still makes this sad and funny.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
And the number of states is up to 20 now.

I'm laughing at some of the other petitions up right now though.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...igned-petition-secede-and-exile-them/ZbMjcwPf
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...aw-their-state-united-states-america/dmQl1bXL

Personally, I'm hoping that these gain traction. If they don't want to be a US citizen anymore, then they should get their desires granted and be stripped of citizenship and deported to a country of their choice.

In the case Trop v. Dulles (1958) 356 U.S. 86, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled, 5-4, that it is unconstitutional for the government to revoke the citizenship of a U.S. citizen as a punishment.

Years
Also Live to quote National Treasure, the United States was founded on the idea of treason. Should we have lost, the founding fathers would have been arrested, quartered, stoned, and burned for their treason.

You realize you're quoting a movie, right? Our founding fathers rebelled against a tyrannical monarchy. These people are rebelling because a black man is still president, elected by the very spirit our founding fathers risked their lives for. There can be no rational comparison between the two here. These people aren't patriotic or brave, they're racist.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 22, 2021
You realize you're quoting a movie, right? Our founding fathers rebelled against a tyrannical monarchy. These people are rebelling because a black man is still president, elected by the very spirit our founding fathers risked their lives for. There can be no rational comparison between the two here. These people aren't patriotic or brave, they're racist.

Not saying that this secession thing isn't dumb, but I do know several people who seriously consider the government to be tyrannical and vastly overreaching, almost like the Crown of the day of the Founders. Sure there are some doing it based on the race card, but I think most people genuinely believe the country has become something that they perceive as a threat and care just as passionately about being an American as you probably do.

Years
Not saying that this secession thing isn't dumb, but I do know several people who seriously consider the government to be tyrannical and vastly overreaching, almost like the Crown of the day of the Founders. Sure there are some doing it based on the race card, but I think most people genuinely believe the country has become something that they perceive as a threat and care just as passionately about being an American as you probably do.

'Thinking' the Government is tyrannical because of the rhetoric floating around and it actually being so are two very different things. It's based around a poor grasp of Colonial History.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
A poor grasp of history does not a racist make though.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 22, 2021
Not saying I disagree there either, but in this age of everyone being right, and everyone else being wrong, it is very hard to tell which is truth. People perceive based on very tangible actions of the government that it is one of tyranny as well, such as the NDAA provisions. The actual belief that it will be used on a regular basis to ensure power dominance and whatnot is vastly skewed, but the fact remains that it could very well happen. Things like that are what the people I'm talking about believe. I agree that a lot of stuff out there is hogwash, but when it boils down to it, a lot of things DO happen that based on one's beliefs could be perceived as wrong and worth fighting.

I'd go back to the Founders here as well: I'm sure many people were perfectly okay with the British government at the time, particularly non-Colonials. While there was more tangibility and fact supporting what we believe to be "wrong" happening at the time, such as those unfair taxes, the quartering, the outright oppression we believe today, it doesn't mean that there wasn't also rhetoric at the time as well feeding the movement. It's human nature to exaggerate things and it's also perception based.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

And you accused me of making wild accusations, Live?

There are plenty of reasons to secede from this increasingly tyrannical nation, lead by an unelected President!

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years

There are plenty of reasons to secede from this increasingly tyrannical nation, lead by an unelected President!
Okay, I'm really wondering, Freaky. Please tell us how Barack Obama is an unelected President. Like him or not, he was fairly elected by the majority of voters - he won both the popular vote and the electoral vote by a fair margin in both elections, despite Republicans doing their damnedest to make voting difficult. How do you figure that he wasn't elected? I voted last week and didn't see any people having guns held to their heads being told to vote for Obama.

Years

Everything in that post was factual. Then again, you're known for ignoring facts, so.

And regardless, the states can't secede from the union anyways. That was a specific mandate written into the constitution of every single Confederate State during Reconstruction, upon re-admission to the Union. So no only are they racists, they're completely ignorant of the laws of their own states. Not a good combination - then again, these are the same people who named a political movement after a sex act.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
The fact that you don't like a President doesn't make it illegitimate as long as he was elected by rules and procedures. No taxation without representation- and you sure had the choice to vote for your representatives last week. Didn't like majority choice? Well, you can try to assemble a better group of players for next time or go and say that playing basketball is boring and you didn't want to anyway and that you'd rather play with your friends only because the rival team was certainly cheating and the umpires were helping them and they didn't really win and and and, but only one choice is truly serious anyway.

In other words, if you don't like the way the country is going, push for the opposite ideas. They lost soundly 7 days ago, but maybe they won't in four years. But saying "it's unfair and it doesn't count since I lost" is not the way to go. Anywhere.

After all, if the US survived a ""tyrannical unelected president"" called George W Bush not so long ago, it can't really get much worse now. This one at least won two elections.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Okay, I'm really wondering, Freaky. Please tell us how Barack Obama is an unelected President. Like him or not, he was fairly elected by the majority of voters - he won both the popular vote and the electoral vote by a fair margin in both elections, despite Republicans doing their damnedest to make voting difficult. How do you figure that he wasn't elected? I voted last week and didn't see any people having guns held to their heads being told to vote for Obama.

Everything in that post was factual. Then again, you're known for ignoring facts, so.

And regardless, the states can't secede from the union anyways. That was a specific mandate written into the constitution of every single Confederate State during Reconstruction, upon re-admission to the Union. So no only are they racists, they're completely ignorant of the laws of their own states. Not a good combination - then again, these are the same people who named a political movement after a sex act.

I'll continue to call him unelected until the issues of voting machines converting Romney votes into Obama votes, why workers for an Obama-supporting union were the ones who were hired to service the shady voting machines, how counties in key swing states that Obama carried had more votes cast than there are registered voters, etc. are addressed.

You can call my accusations outrageous if you'd like. They're no more outrageous than Live's unfounded accusations of racism, though.

Last edited:
Years
I don't see anything wrong with the idea of a country splitting into smaller countries, even the US, but not over something silly like an election that was pretty fair in the overall scheme of things. The US is not Yugoslavia or Sudan. We're not in armed conflict with different parts of the country and torn by bitten ethnic tension (well, maybe we are a little, but it's not that bad). This is just a knee-jerk reaction to an election loss. It's "I'm moving to Canada 2.0."

I'll continue to call him unelected until the issues of voting machines converting Romney votes into Obama votes, why workers for an Obama-supporting union were the ones who were hired to service the shady voting machines, how counties in key swing states that Obama carried had more votes cast than there are registered voters, etc.

You can call my accusations outrageous if you'd like. They're no more outrageous than Live's unfounded accusations of racism, though.
Where are you getting these accusations from?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I'll continue to call him unelected until the issues of voting machines converting Romney votes into Obama votes, why workers for an Obama-supporting union were the ones who were hired to service the shady voting machines, how counties in key swing states that Obama carried had more votes cast than there are registered voters, etc. are addressed.

Where is your proof of these things? Do you have any proof that this actually happened? I dont know where you're getting this from but Im not really inclined to believe you without actual evidence or proof that it happened.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years

You are also forgetting how Romney was invested heavily in companies that made some of the voting machines, and his intentionally training poll watchers with incorrect information about just who can and can't vote.

Both sides need investigating, not just Obama. The only reason your not saying both sides need investigating is because you don't give a **** about honesty, you just don't want a Democrat as the President.

Edit - I read a story about the messed up voting machines selecting Obama when Romney was pressed, but I've also read one the opposite. In both cases, this was either because the person was pressing too hard on the screen or because the touchscreen wasn't calibrated right.

Last edited:

Khawill

<3
Years
Well this has went from a discussion to a debate :D. I pick the side of Obama though, why? Because he is the lesser of two evils, and to be honest I don't like either party.

The states suceding is very funny to me, 19/20 I'm very sure will fail if they get out. Additionally I disagree that race really factors into it, yes there are racist people, but do you think they would really have the knowledge to know they can sucede? In the famous words of some yahoo commenter, I wish I could sucede from the human race (:D)

In other words, Texas has received 65k sigs, meaning that the Obama administration must waste their time looking this crap over, way to waste the goverment's time further.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
In other words, Texas has received 65k sigs, meaning that the Obama administration must waste their time looking this crap over, way to waste the goverment's time further.

I say let em go, induct Puerto Rico as the new 50th state, watch Mexico try to annex Texas, start a new short war, end up giving part of Texas to Mexico and then have whats left of Texas take Puerto Rico's place as a US Territory.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years

that is an assumption, they are not. They are doing it because they are tired of the government...

These states wont be allowed to leave the union.

Last edited:
Back