• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Basic Pokemon Writing FAQ v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
This guide is to hard for me to figure out and understand, what I really need is a tutor

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
I'm not really a new author, I just suck is all

admin edit test, ignore this

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I'm not really a new author, I just suck is all
Even experienced writers aren't perfect, and still ask for help. My favorite professional writer, who wrote two books full of advice on writing, and teaches a class on writing, and has reached the New York Times best-seller list many times, still has questions about his writing. Whenever he writes a new chapter, he has people read it to make it sure it's all right. And even then, he has an entire Internet forum dedicated to pointing out his errors in his books, and to ask for help from.

So not just new authors need help. I ask for help and advice to improve. Everyone does need advice, no matter the skill level, because there's always something that they can't quite get right.

That happened to me just recently. I had a problem with a chapter, couldn't get it to sound right no matter what. So I posted the chapter, and one of my friends pointed out where the problem was and how to fix it.

So, you know, no making excuses. Off to the Beta Finder with you, because you can improve if you listen to advice.

admin edit test, ignore this
All right, Steve. Will do. *rolls eyes*

pokeguy9000

Ghost Ralts
Years
Hey i want to write a fanfic but i'm unsure whether it would be a good idea for me to use made up Pokemon (fakemon). Any advice would help because i really want to invent a few new pokemon but not a whole lot.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Hey i want to write a fanfic but i'm unsure whether it would be a good idea for me to use made up Pokemon (fakemon). Any advice would help because i really want to invent a few new pokemon but not a whole lot.

General rules of thumb for using Fakemon:

1. If you're going to use them, please come up with a good reason for doing so. As in, if a canon Pokémon serves the same function and is based on the same concept, just use the canon Pokémon. For example, want a dream-eating tapir? Use Drowzee. Fire-typed dog? What's wrong with Growlithe or Houndour? Legendary guardian of the forest? Already there in the form of Celebi.
1a. The above rule can be bent for new regions so long as it's not obvious that you're reusing concepts. For example, every region has an easily available, highly prolific Normal-type Pokémon, so if you wanted one too, you can have one. But if you make this Normal-type be a purple mouse that evolves into a brown rat, we're going to start raising eyebrows. Likewise, if you make a white horse with fire as its mane and tail, that's going to call to mind the words "Ponyta" and "Rapidash," not the name of your Fakemon. Creativity is the key when it comes to Fakemon, and with all kinds of designs for even the same concept all over again (*motions to the three Normal-type cat lines*), it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something different instead of just reuse the same exact concepts with the same, exact designs. Point being, a large part of the Fakemon creation process is creativity itself. Make sure you put a lot of thought into what you're doing and look up existing Pokémon to see if your idea hasn't already been used.

2. Describe, describe, describe. Remember, we've never seen these Pokémon before, and frankly, regardless of how great your art skills are, we'd rather see written description than a picture that isn't in the story. When you get to the Fakemon, remember to describe the thing so we can get a clear image of what it looks like. That way, we won't be in the dark when something that major suddenly pops up and decides to be part of the story from then on.

3. Please don't create an evolution or pre-evolution of an existing Pokémon for the sake of giving a canon Pokémon one. Usually, a canon Pokémon gets it for certain reasons (stats, adding moves to the movepool by abusing breeding, because the line's currently unpopular without sudden added attention, whatever). Sometimes, there are Pokémon that don't evolve for certain reasons as well. (Legendaries because they're already uber. Luvdisc because it's meant to suck. Sableye because it's meant to be a gimmicky Pokémon and not much more. That kind of thing.) Extra stages are not really given to Pokémon for no apparent reason, so don't do it for no apparent reason. Create a new line if you have to or just use the line as it is.
3a. Making a Pokémon more powerful than it already is is usually not a good reason unless you know what you're doing, can't come up with a way to get around a plot point without it, or are working with a plot that absolutely calls for it (because that part of the plot has focused on an evolution to begin with). The problem lies in the fact that by using a lower evolution, you're actually giving your characters more to struggle over because they don't have that extra boost in power. For example, if you have a Luvdisc fighting a Charizard, it's more impressive if the Luvdisc managed to outwit the Charizard, find its weakness, and exploit it like no other than it is if the Luvdisc suddenly evolved into Uberdisc and wiped the Charizard out with a Surf.

4. Obviously, you'll want to keep in mind your environment when creating your new Pokémon. For example, Hoenn is a tropical/desert region. A snowman Pokémon would probably not work for that environment. Sinnoh is a more temperate region. Don't go for palm tree Pokémon. (Alternatively, place your Fakemon where they would logically live.)

There's probably more, but that's all I can come up with right now. If anyone wants to add on, they're more than welcome to.

pokeguy9000

Ghost Ralts
Years
hey thanks thats good help. my fakemon wouldn't have been totally orginal but ill put more thought into it now. so i hope you'll enjoy my story when i get the first post up. Hey am i allowed to swear in my fanfic, but only if its needed not overly used

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
You can swear, but only occasionally. No paragraphs of **** strewn about your fic. Then it's overkill and I'll wash your mouth out with nasty garlic-scented shampoo.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
-jumping in transitions too quickly without a reason, especially for romance

I don't know how to quote individual lines yet so I just copied it. What do you mean by this?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Copy the line, hit the [quote][/quote] tags, insert the line between the tags with paste.

I believe it means that the characters change their views or the ways that they act too quickly. For instance, with the "romance" part Frosty mentioned, the character completely changes in an instant for their true love.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Copy the line, hit the tags, insert the line between the tags with paste.

I believe it means that the characters change their views or the ways that they act too quickly. For instance, with the "romance" part Frosty mentioned, the character completely changes in an instant for their true love.

k thank you...

testing it

The above rule can be bent for new regions so long as it's not obvious that you're reusing concepts.

alright it wrked!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
For magical reasons I actually got a PM yesterday about fanfic writing, which obviously scared the heck out of me. I peeked in here, and wow the ancient fanfic guide I wrote with Lily is still floating around ^_^;

Really been years since I read fanfics in detail (university is evil, I tell you!) so I don't know where's the bar at for Pokemon fanfiction. The fanfiction lounge may really want to do some adjustment as I'm sure that part of the guide is probably wrong (I wrote it only as a high school student after all), and some of it may no longer be applicable due to the changes in time...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 13, 2009
Third person objective perspective really is difficult. Removing character's opinions can shorten paragraphs quite a bit and it's sort of intimidating when I compare my paragraphs to other people's penises stories. I'd try for third person limited, but it seems a bit icky and dishonest, unlike first person where the bias is less subtle.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Third person objective perspective really is difficult. Removing character's opinions can shorten paragraphs quite a bit

It's challenging but not necessarily difficult or impossible, and it doesn't have to shorten paragraphs. All you're doing is telling the story from an objective standpoint, which still requires heavy description in that you're giving the reader an eagle-eye standpoint. It's almost like you're giving them a tour of the setting without letting them gain psychic powers. This kind of view is useful when you want to keep the characters' motives secret or when you want to highlight what they're doing and saying.

In other words, yes, it's a challenge to keep reminding yourself to stay out of people's heads, but it's possible to pull it off and pull it off correctly, even if you're a mediocre author. As a result, you amplify the characters' motions, so every last thing they do seems even more important because the reader is forced to focus on their actions, rather than rely on their thoughts to make sense of what's going on.

I'd try for third person limited, but it seems a bit icky and dishonest,

...Did you seriously just call an entire mode of storytelling "icky"? O_o

Seriously, it's not really dishonest. It's just another mode of storytelling. Basically, it's like using first person, only you're still observing things from the sidelines, rather than getting inside the head of the character. In this manner, you can capture the thoughts of your main character while also giving the reader a panoramic view of what's going on. First person, as a contrast, tends to zoom in on only what the character himself would actually notice and what the character thinks of the events, so it doesn't really allow for much in the way of wiggle room for the reader to form their own opinions. Third person limited, meanwhile, might be best for a piece where you have one definite main character and bunches of side characters or characters who ultimately serve to support or antagonize a single character within the world of the fanfiction. The writer naturally assumes the mindset of the one definite main character and tunes out everything else so that the reader can say, "Okay, this guy is important, and we're going to follow him."

For example, it's great for OT stories because it forces the reader to narrow their focus to the trainer. That way, even the way the story is told highlights the fact that we're supposed to pay attention to a single person.

unlike first person where the bias is less subtle.

Actually, if anything, the bias should be pretty clear because you're only getting the opinions of a single character.

Don't get me wrong. First person POV has its advantages too -- advantages that, like other POVs, render it better in some stories than others, if that makes sense. Basically speaking, first person is when you want to have the reader essentially step into the shoes of the main character/narrator and experience the story from their eyes. (Contrast this to second person, where the reader doesn't assume the identity of a specific character.) As a result, the reader sees the setting, the situation, and the other characters from the viewpoint of the narrator. As a result, we come to understand the world from a ground-level point of view, rather than an eagle's eye. We're right there, and we come to sympathize with the person telling the story.

This has, of course, a pretty obvious downside. Everything we see can't be objective by definition. For example, if you have a character who doesn't appear as good or evil in a third-person work, in a first-person work, that character might actually definitely be evil because the world is defined by the character, not by an outside observer. On the other hand, this downside can serve to screw with the readers' minds... if you know how to effectively pull carpets out underneath readers. (This would be called an unreliable narrator.) In most first person fanfics, however, it doesn't, which really is a shame because that sort of thing really shocks a reader and makes a fic stick out in their minds.

Long story short, every point of view has its ups and downs, and every point of view has times when it's best used and times when you might as well use something else. It all depends on the story you're telling and the author's personal preference.

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
I've liked third person limited and normal omniscient. Myself I find that I cannot write in first person at all, or rather that it does not feel right.

Nice guide btw ;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 13, 2009
It's challenging but not necessarily difficult or impossible,
To me, challenging and difficult are about the same words. I'm going to look that up in the dictionary later.

and it doesn't have to shorten paragraphs.
Well, first of all, the writer can't infodump in the narration, give opinions in the narration... And that's actually it. The emotion can still be kept as actions, though some adverbs would have to be excluded, and the writer can still describe the setting and the physical attributes of characters. The last two I'm not good at since I have a cartoon-like imagination, but that's beside the point. But I think that's still something.

...Did you seriously just call an entire mode of storytelling "icky"? O_o
To write, not to read. Perhaps I could get used to it with practice. :/

First person, as a contrast, tends to zoom in on only what the character himself would actually notice and what the character thinks of the events, so it doesn't really allow for much in the way of wiggle room for the reader to form their own opinions.
There's still some. Doesn't the first post say that the narrator could be unreliable? Or at least really annoying? Because once I read this book and the protagonist was like "oh mai gawsh, i'm discriminated for being fat damn weight nazis" and I was like "SHUT! UP!" But I finished it anyway since I didn't have any other books on me. Then again, I don't think that was intentional.

(Contrast this to second person, where the reader doesn't assume the identity of a specific character.)
Uh... yes he does?

On the other hand, this downside can serve to screw with the readers' minds... if you know how to effectively pull carpets out underneath readers. (This would be called an unreliable narrator.) In most first person fanfics, however, it doesn't, which really is a shame because that sort of thing really shocks a reader and makes a fic stick out in their minds.
Never mind, you mentioned it. There weren't any plot twists like that in the book, though. It was just... urgh.

Long story short, every point of view has its ups and downs, and every point of view has times when it's best used and times when you might as well use something else. It all depends on the story you're telling and the author's personal preference.
I'm going to think about that later.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
To me, challenging and difficult are about the same words. I'm going to look that up in the dictionary later.

They're close synonyms, but challenging implies something that's meant to be overcome. Difficult implies that there's a bunch of obstacles and that it's not meant to be overcome without too much of a struggle. Like I said, a mediocre writer could pull off third person limited if they put some effort into it. Difficult implies it's nearly beyond their capabilities.

Well, first of all, the writer can't infodump in the narration,

The writer isn't always supposed to infodump (or, if we're not on the same wavelength here, overwhelm the reader with too much information) in the first place. Or, for that matter (for a later point) abuse adverbs. Yes, limited POV means your writing is starker, but how is that supposed to shorten your paragraph if you're describing, for example, a character breaking into a building? (As in, you're describing their actions, and you can do that without getting into their thoughts while keeping paragraph length the same as if you did. It's all in how you say things.)

Or, in shorter terms, the narrator can still talk about the world around the characters and the characters themselves. (So long, as I've implied just above, that he only presents the necessary amount of information.) The only thing the narrator can't do is talk about the characters' thoughts. This doesn't necessarily have an effect on paragraph length because it depends on how it's being told.

To write, not to read.

Point still stands, actually, because I wasn't referring to reading there. I was referring to the fact that you were calling an entire mode of storytelling "icky."

There's still some.

I never really said there wasn't. I simply said there wasn't a lot of it. As in, mostly, you get the main character's view of things. So, if someone's evil, they're presented as evil to the reader because the reader isn't given any other view of them but one peppered with the narrator's bias.

Doesn't the first post say that the narrator could be unreliable?

Yes, and I've covered this with this bit of my original post:

On the other hand, this downside can serve to screw with the readers' minds... if you know how to effectively pull carpets out underneath readers. (This would be called an unreliable narrator.) In most first person fanfics, however, it doesn't, which really is a shame because that sort of thing really shocks a reader and makes a fic stick out in their minds.

In other words, you may want to read a post all the way through before commenting on it. (And yes, I noticed you noticed it too. I'm just saying.)

Uh... yes he does?

Perhaps I've worded my explanations a bit vaguely, at which point, I apologize and would like to attempt to clarify myself:

In second person point of view, the character that the readers assume is the literal you. As in, second person POV is designed so that the readers can place themselves into the action. There may be vague description of the "you" in a second-person POV, but the entire point is just to get the reader to feel as if they're the ones in the story.

In first person, meanwhile, there's a definite, solid character who's a part of the world of the fanfiction. For example, the narrator could be a guy named Mike. The reader isn't the one who's filling the shoes of the narrator because the narrator is technically already defined. So, basically, in first person POV, the reader sort of assumes the identity of a solid character who exists in the world of the story, whereas in second person, that character tends to be more fluid for the purpose of using that particular mode. (In other words, the narrator of a second person POV is usually meant to be nonspecific, whereas in first person, it's an actual figure in the fic's universe.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 13, 2009
They're close synonyms, but challenging implies something that's meant to be overcome. Difficult implies that there's a bunch of obstacles and that it's not meant to be overcome without too much of a struggle.
Thanks for clarifying.
In first person, meanwhile, there's a definite, solid character who's a part of the world of the fanfiction. For example, the narrator could be a guy named Mike. The reader isn't the one who's filling the shoes of the narrator because the narrator is technically already defined. So, basically, in first person POV, the reader sort of assumes the identity of a solid character who exists in the world of the story, whereas in second person, that character tends to be more fluid for the purpose of using that particular mode. (In other words, the narrator of a second person POV is usually meant to be nonspecific, whereas in first person, it's an actual figure in the fic's universe.)
I've read the beginning of a Naruto story where it was in the second person, and there was a specific character, being the author's OC. I stopped reading it because it felt sort of awkward, since it was telling me how I felt, and the color of my eyes, and I don't know anything about Naruto.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Thanks for clarifying.

No problem.

I've read the beginning of a Naruto story where it was in the second person, and there was a specific character, being the author's OC. I stopped reading it because it felt sort of awkward, since it was telling me how I felt, and I don't know anything about Naruto.

There's also a difference between doing a POV correctly and just doing another POV with the wrong pronouns. XD

Joking aside, yeah, that's the problem with trying to clarify the narrator of a second-person fic. I wouldn't be surprised if it felt awkward to you because it probably really was. Clarifying the narrator like that really just doesn't work because it defeats the purpose of having the fic in second-person POV. It's like saying you specifically are a kid named (insert the OC's name here), which is why I really wasn't considering situations like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back