• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DNS - Day, Night and Seasons

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Also, to the author of this tool. I highly recommend adding that into the patcher. A D/N System just isn't complete without Espeon and Umbreon. Just be sure to ask Jambo51 first. To Jambo51: Interesting! I'm just curios as to how exactly that works. Maybe just a small explanation.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Also, to the author of this tool. I highly recommend adding that into the patcher. A D/N System just isn't complete without Espeon and Umbreon. Just be sure to ask Jambo51 first. To Jambo51: Interesting! I'm just curios as to how exactly that works. Maybe just a small explanation.

All they do is compare the status byte of the Day and Night system and compare it with values which should be day or night.

I reasoned that status bytes 0, 4 and 5 would be night, while the rest would be day. There are 2 separate ones because the original ROM uses 2 separate ones. If it is the right time of day, the routine branches to the actual happiness evolution check already in the rom at 0x08043000.
If the time is "wrong" it branches to a routine which skips to read the next entry of the Pokémon's evolution data.

While it was designed for Espeon and Umbreon, it will work with any Pokémon in the game.

To port for other versions of BPR, you simply need to find the evolution types table, and replace the branches in my routines with appropriate branches for your version of the ROM.

@Prime - If you want to include it in your tool, feel free. Just credit me for the original routine. That's all I ask. :D

Also, If you wouldn't mind... Could I include a working version of your DAN in my patch i'm making? I'm creating a 649 Pokémon patch, and I have managed to include all the evolution types currently available. The thing is, a lot of them rely on the time, which isn't in a standard FR rom. So without the RTC, the routines will always think it's night time and people will complain that the routines don't work.

Last edited:

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2011
Great going, Jambo51. Your 649 patch is pretty cool and what better way to cool-ify it more than to integrate it with another cool concept, right? :D

In my opinion, prime-dialga's DNS is the best RTC program that all others before it, 'cause this one is easier to use, and it has Seasons (perfect for a BW Demake). The 649 patch plus the DNS in a great hack would be like playing DS in a GBA... minus the touchscreen. XD

Here's to success for the both of you! Cheers!

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Great going, Jambo51. Your 649 patch is pretty cool and what better way to cool-ify it more than to integrate it with another cool concept, right? :D

In my opinion, prime-dialga's DNS is the best RTC program that all others before it, 'cause this one is easier to use, and it has Seasons (perfect for a BW Demake). The 649 patch plus the DNS in a great hack would be like playing DS in a GBA... minus the touchscreen. XD

Here's to success for the both of you! Cheers!

The RTC/DNS is actually a requirement of the patch, in many ways. A lot of gen 4's evo types rely on the time of day, which is something the standard rom doesn't have. But I refuse to include someone else's work within my patch without the OK to do so. The exception to that, of course, being sprites which I will give credit for.

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2011
Darn, I can't understand anything going on, with all the bytes the tool gives me. Can anyone PLEEEAAASSE post an example of a script that reads the year, month, day, day of the week, etc...

Oh, and how do I read a specific byte in an offset? diegoisawesome tells me to read the byte then buffer the correct day of the week number. The tool that "the time will be written to 0300553C", but it also says that year will be 2 bytes, month will be 1 byte, blah blah blah. Okay, how do I read a SPECIFIC byte?

Please help. :l .................

Last edited:
Years
Hmm, what OS do you run on your computer? It's either you're on XP without the proper .NET Framework, or I don't know. ^^
I can run it on my computer. xD
What I mean is that the environment doesn't look any different when I play the rom. Is their something I'm doing wrong? Because I did insert them.

prime-dialga

pure darkness
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
@Chimchar 9
maybe you haven't inserted the Offsets of the Tileset, where you want to use the Seasons, or the VBA-RTC isn't eneabled...

@Jambo51
I'm working on a better version of this tool with some bugfixes (like Em-2 vs. 2-Trainerbattles) and some new features, if it'll work. Therefore i don't give anyone any permission to add this tool or a patch, created with this tool, in another tool. Please wait until i have released the second version of this tool and the DNS-System.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
@Chimchar 9
maybe you haven't inserted the Offsets of the Tileset, where you want to use the Seasons, or the VBA-RTC isn't eneabled...

@Jambo51
I'm working on a better version of this tool with some bugfixes (like Em-2 vs. 2-Trainerbattles) and some new features, if it'll work. Therefore i don't give anyone any permission to add this tool or a patch, created with this tool, in another tool. Please wait until i have released the second version of this tool and the DNS-System.

No problem. :D The only question I ask here is will it still use the same status byte system? Obviously, it helps to know that so I can rewrite the evolution routines if I need to.

Paupir

Dreamer
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 7, 2015
If you're working on a new version, I'd really like to see the ability to swap tilesets between night and day (not all 5 or 6 times, though). I tried to do this myself with some success, but it bugged up the whole system.

Main reason for wanting this is... well, darkening the screen is all fine and well, but if you really want to capture the essence of night, you need lit up windows and lights :P You really do.

So what I'd really want to see is the ability to switch tilesets at a certain time (similar to the seasons, yeah). What I could then do is apply the RGB effect to all but one colour in the palletes and always use that colour for light (So that it's not dimmed at night). Would really be great and could make for some brilliant story scenes~

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I have a slight question. I got the seasons inserted and all that but I can't figure out how to have the game automatically update the tilesets to change in accordance with the seasons. When done manually it works but I'm looking for a way to do it within the game.

Would I have to load a level script that loads the new tileset/pallet? If so what command would I use?

prime-dialga

pure darkness
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
@Paupir
sry, i didn't want to add such a feature in a public version.

@Jambo51
I think it will still use the same Statusbytesystem, but probably the offsets of the pointers in the routines will change.

@Quilava's Master
Tools->Season Header Editor
This will help you to edit the Seasonheader and with this, you can change the Tileset.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
@Paupir
sry, i didn't want to add such a feature in a public version.

@Jambo51
I think it will still use the same Statusbytesystem, but probably the offsets of the pointers in the routines will change.

@Quilava's Master
Tools->Season Header Editor
This will help you to edit the Seasonheader and with this, you can change the Tileset.

I've done this but when I change the date on my computer the tileset changes don't take affect in the overworld.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Something I think would be pretty cool is if you could load up a certain tileset and palette from the ROM, and edit the tiles/palettes for the seasons and DAN. You know, like you could have a tree full of leaves in Summer, and then it loses leaves when it gets to Autumn/Fall, is covered in Snow when it's Winter, and when it gets back to Spring all the leaves are back, with the addition of some cute little pink flowers.
Create a script for the map header to change the tree tiles when the map is entered depending on what season is on.

dt200

Was and will be forever alone.
Years
Sorry for my english. I mean how do i insert the tilesets for the feature? And how does it really work? And last question , if i use firered as my hack how am i suppose to check the clock?or will it follow os clock?

mikocoon

error? who cares?
Years
i have a opinion for new version..
can you give the weather changer too?
like when it's winter some map weather will automatically snowing
when summer weather will drought and etc.
how about it?

Paupir

Dreamer
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 7, 2015
May I suggest that you change the season's months to a check system?
For example, instead of choosing the starting and ending month for a season, have a list of check boxes for all months- this way you can freely select which months are summer, winter, etc.

Of course, I foresee a problem with one month maybe not being selected and how that might give errors. So you would have to put in a check and disallow the user to proceed until they do?

Anyway, it struck me that I kinda want the seasons to be shorter since I doubt a rom will be played throughout the year.

Back