• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter do you think is the best?

Which starter in Pokemon F\L

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 7, 2018
Charmander. #1 in my team, #1 in my heart.
Have a soft spot for squirtle though because he was my first starter EVER.

Bulbasaur I just feel sorry for because I've always neglected him.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 24, 2015
1 Bulbasaur

2 Squirtle

3 Charmander

:) Bulb is so is to train ! :pink_boogie:

Thief

The Dark One
Years
I love all three for their basic forms. And their second forms. But when it comes right down to it, it's only the final form that matters, because that's what you end up with after everything. So I voted Charmander. Charizard is the only one that looks good. Blastoise is... tolerable. Venusaur is just... I have no words. They made it hideous. I love Bulbasaur either as much or more than Charmander, and Ivysaur is pretty decent even though I prefer Charmeleon and Wartortle. But overall, Charizard > Blastoise >>>>>>>> Venusaur. & It's sad.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 12, 2014
Well it really depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't pick Blastoise or any of the Water type starters because there are a ton of good, better Water types out there. So its really between Charizard and Venasaur. Now it is very important to have a balanced team at all times to fend off all your weaknesses and I always build that out of a Fire type, a Water type, a Grass or Electric type, a Flying type,a Phychic type, and personally a Ground type. So lets look at those 2 Pokemons Stats and Movepools.

Venasaur

Stats

HP - 80
Attack - 82
Defence - 83
Special Attack - 100
Special Defence - 100
Speed - 80

Movepool
Start - Tackle
4 - Growl
7 - Leech Seed
10 - Vine Whip
15 - Sleep Powder
15 - Poison Powder
Evolves Into Ivysaur
22 - Razor Leaf
29 - Sweet Scent
Evolves Into Venusaur
38 - Growth
47 - Synthesis
56 - Solar Beam

Ability - Overgrow - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Grass type moves will increase by 1.5x

My Venasaurs moveset is going to have
Synthisis
Solar Beam
Sleep Powder
Razor Leaf

Now lets look at Charizard

Stats
HP - 78
Attack - 84
Defence - 78
Special Attack - 109
Special Defence - 85
Speed - 100

Movepool
Start - Scratch
Start - Growl
7 - Ember
13 - Metal Claw
Evolves Into Chameleon
20 - Smokescreen
27 - Flamethrower
Evolves into Charizard
36 - Wing Attack
44 - Slash
54 - Dragon Rage
64 - Fire Spin

Ability
Blaze - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Fire type moves will increase by 1.5x

Recomended Moveset
Flamethrower
Sunny Day or Fire Blast
Wing Attack
Steel Wing

Venusaur is the best in the fact that it can get through alot of the early Gyms easily. I think Charizard is the best of the two. It was a close call because Venasaur is very good. But I think why Venasaur lost was because it has kind of a shallow movepool.

Dont be discouraged on using Blastoise, Its just I think there are better Water types out there. Namely Gyrados, Lapras, and Vaporeon.

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I do have a liking for Grass types over the others, so Bulbasaur it is. It's very effective against Brock in the first gym.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
I do have a liking for Grass types over the others, so Bulbasaur it is. It's very effective against Brock in the first gym.

yeah but get useless after 3rd gym and some others. Not comfortable for league though.

Bulbasaur for no reason whatsoever. Always my choice.
I would have picked him in X, too, but chose Charmander to make up for my froakie's grass weakness.

What X ? You better talk about it in X & Y forum And yeah bulbasaur looks cute. And when it goes to Venusaur it goes more cooler then before.

Well it really depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't pick Blastoise or any of the Water type starters because there are a ton of good, better Water types out there. So its really between Charizard and Venasaur. Now it is very important to have a balanced team at all times to fend of all your weaknesses and I always build that out of a Fire type, a Water type, a Grass or Electric type, a Flying type,a Phychic type, and personally a Ground type. So lets look at those 2 Pokemons Stats and Movepools.

Venasaur

Stats

HP - 80
Attack - 82
Defence - 83
Special Attack - 100
Special Defence - 100
Speed - 80

Movepool
Start - Tackle
4 - Growl
7 - Leech Seed
10 - Vine Whip
15 - Sleep Powder
15 - Poison Powder
Evolves Into Ivysaur
22 - Razor Leaf
29 - Sweet Scent
Evolves Into Venusaur
38 - Growth
47 - Synthesis
56 - Solar Beam

Ability - Overgrow - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Grass type moves will increase by 1.5x

My Venasaurs moveset is going to have
Synthisis
Solar Beam
Sleep Powder
Razor Leaf

Now lets look at Charizard

Stats
HP - 78
Attack - 84
Defence - 78
Special Attack - 109
Special Defence - 85
Speed - 100

Movepool
Start - Scratch
Start - Growl
7 - Ember
13 - Metal Claw
Evolves Into Chameleon
20 - Smokescreen
27 - Flamethrower
Evolves into Charizard
36 - Wing Attack
44 - Slash
54 - Dragon Rage
64 - Fire Spin

Ability
Blaze - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Fire type moves will increase by 1.5x

Recomended Moveset
Flamethrower
Sunny Day or Fire Blast
Wing Attack
Steel Wing

Venusaur is the best in the fact that it can get through alot of the early Gyms easily. I think Charizard is the best of the two. It was a close call because Venasaur is very good. But I think why Venasaur lost was because it has kind of a shallow movepool.

Dont be discouraged on using Blastoise, Its just I think there are better Water types out there. Namely Gyrados, Lapras, and Vaporeon.

You listed great things. And look like you had a great Knowledge about GEN 3 and Charizard is best in my way. Venusar doesn't show a great performance in League. And Blastoise is a little comfortable but gives sometime lose to you. Charizard is great strong but hard to raise Pokemon.

BartCiao

It has always been Pokemon :)
Years
I always look at the fully evolved forms, because that's what you'll be playing with the longest time. I like Charmander and Charmeleon, but I just don't like that Fire Dragon that ain't even a dragon :( I just don't like it, don't really know why. When I picked Charmander once, I leveled it unto level 36, then I put it in Box 13 and never looked at it again. And you can pick up Moltres later, which has the same typing and is more powerful (and better looking too). Venusaur and Blastoise are both awesome, but I think I like Blastoise better.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
Years
I've always been a Charmander fan. Don't get me wrong, given the change, I get all 3 Kanto starters. But at the beginning of my first file, I got Charmander. This same Charmander has since become a Charizard, and has been used in breeding little Charmanders that have since been sent into Generation IV, V, and soon VI.

Nordk

Chief Harpoonist
Years
I've always liked Bulbasaur, can't really say why though. I do feel sad for the Squirtle that just sits there for the rest of the game, though.

Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
It depends on what team you plan on using.
Of the 3, Charmander is the best because its final form of Charizard is an absolute beast.
However, I typically choose Bulbasaur because I use Arcanine as my fire type and Lapras as my water type.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
I actually put the starter in the box and keep it there at first best opportunity. I'm boring that way. :p

I guess I'm a little biased, but from a mechanics perspective, Squirtle is probably best. Not only is Water fairly overpowered, aside from Magikarp/Gyarados it actually takes a while to find a Water-type, both after Grass and Fire-types have been found.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
I like Charmander best because it evolves into Charizard. I always liked Charizard's design more than any other Kanto starter Pokemon.

Years
In my opinion, there is no best starter.
It really depends on one's self, but I personally like Charmander the best.

That's only because it's the very first starter I picked in my history with Pokemon.
I like its appearance when it evolves into Charizard, it looks very cool and it even has a good Sp. Atk.

Back