• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Can I create and distribute Pokemon fan games?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 26, 2019
Can I create and distribute games with Pokemon Essentials?

We will also pursue non-profit purposes.

But do not you have to get permission from a Nintendo company?

But how did Pokemon Essentials get distributed?

Years
As long as you do it non-profit, distributing Pokemon fan games technically falls under fair use. However, Nintendo tends to see it as copyright infringement even when done non-profit, and will sometimes shut down fan games - even going so far as at one point forcing the Video Game Awards to throw away over half the votes cast for a particular category because those votes were cast for one of two fan games based on Nintendo properties.

Pokemon, as far as I understand it, is a property jointly-owned by three companies: Nintendo, Game Freak, and The Pokemon Company International (TPCi). Of these three, Nintendo is most protective of their stake in the matter, followed closely by TPCi. From what I hear, and I'm not sure how valid it is, after Nintendo shut down Pokemon Uranium, Masuda (who I'm assuming you know is a higher-up at Game Freak) wrote an apology letter to the developers because he knew that the game had not been intended as a copyright attack - showing that not always do the three companies agree.

That being said, in recent years, there have been only two Pokemon fangame shutdowns that I know of (technically three, but I don't know how long ago EVOAS was so I don't count it). Both of these games ended up basically falling onto Nintendo's radar due to circumstance. Uranium released right after Pokemon GO did, and a lot of gaming journals tried to take advantage of Pokemon hype by reporting on a fan game that they would have otherwise ignored. This gave Uranium a lot more momentum than anticipated, and as such, Nintendo noticed them. I don't know too much about Pokemon Prism, but I presume that something very similar happened due to it trying to release shorty after Sun and Moon - and the fact that they called themselves Prism, the same word as the category of the third legendary in the Azoth Trio, probably didn't help.

TL;DR: Making fan games falls on the border between legal and illegal, but as long as you don't get too popular you should be left alone.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
From what I hear, and I'm not sure how valid it is, after Nintendo shut down Pokemon Uranium, Masuda (who I'm assuming you know is a higher-up at Game Freak) wrote an apology letter to the developers because he knew that the game had not been intended as a copyright attack - showing that not always do the three companies agree..

You're probably referring to this:

https://www.slashgear.com/pokemon-producer-masuda-shares-his-thoughts-on-fan-games-19460726/

Back