• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Whats your favorite method to play the gen 1 games?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I mean-

With a Computer Emulator, 3ds, original game-boy, phone emulator, etc. There's lots of ways to play them now.

I'm considering replaying Blue on 3DS.

Years
I used to always play on my Pok?mon Blue cartridge, but it sadly has run out of battery, so it can't save. Haven't gotten the chance to replace it myself, so I'm playing on emulators most of the time these days. Maybe I'll end up buying a 3DS copy of Blue soon.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I used to always play on my Pok?mon Blue cartridge, but it sadly has run out of battery, so it can't save. Haven't gotten the chance to replace it myself, so I'm playing on emulators most of the time these days. Maybe I'll end up buying a 3DS copy of Blue soon.

Your signature is cool

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Oh haha, I thought you were talking about nuzlockes and such.

I will always prefer playing on the GBA SP with the real cartridge, however the old state of the cartridges and the incompatibility with Gen III will always be a bummer. For that reason I still need to buy a VC version of Red (Red since I already have Blue and Yellow as cartridges).

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
I always PREFER the official versions, but am not against emulation at all...That said, Game Boy over 3DS for any game where the analogue feels weird...But I don't mind playing on the 3DS...

Years
I highly prefer the VC versions. At least I can still experience the older generations at will whenever I'm in the mood for them on a modern system.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I always played Yellow on my GBA. Emulating gen 1 feels too speedy and boring somehow.

Years
I've played Pokemon Blue on Virtual Console soon after they came out. Although I did enjoy being able to take screenshots, I'm not a fan of the grainy picture quality or the fact that you are only limited to two colour palettes(which is monochrome or this pea soup like green colour). Which can be kind of drab to look at especially considering that these are turn based rpgs. Honestly I don't understand why the Game Boy releases don't offer Super Game Boy or Game Boy Color palette. I know that it's more true to the Original Game Boy but the option would be nice.

That being said, I usually prefer playing the cartridge versions. If you playing it through any of the Game Boy line that supports colour then you get a nice choice of colour palettes. Also you can play it your TV if you have the Super Game Boy or the Game Boy Player. The image quality does seem crisper, although it might not matter much if you're playing it on the something like the Game Boy or the Game Boy Color, since they aren't blacklit.

However, the 3DS port does have some nice conveniences, such as rechargeable batteries and you don't have to worry about the battery running dry(although they are pretty easy to replace). So they do have their merits. What version you play doesn't really matter too much because by end of the day, they are the same game. Personally, I prefer playing the cartridge versions purely on looks alone.

Oh yeah, this isn't much of an issue if you're playing Yellow cause it uses the Game Boy Color's palette. The image quality still seems grainy though...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
Virtual Console! I prefer to play games on handhelds, and playing on my old GBA isn't an option because... Well, now that I'm used to the backlit screen of a (3)DS, there's just no going back. I honestly only played FR/LG for years, but now that the 3DS versions are out... I couldn't be happier!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I have a physical copy of Red and a modded backlit Game Boy which works well but my favorite method is Red/Blue with RetroArch on my phone for a couple of reasons:
  1. I can backup the save files.
  2. It has shaders that replicate the Game Boy LCD look.
I also have a Virtual Console copy on my 3DS but only because of the Pokémon Bank compatibility. I'm not a fan of the VC linear filter look.

Years
PC emulator... I kinda get used to the speedy emulation and when I played Red on VC, it was so slow... But I would like to get my hands on Gameboy to play it there.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I found a gameboy color with Pokemon Blue, but no back light bothers me so I'm gonna keep playing it on 3ds.

Back