• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Project Open World Kanto

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
Years
Project Open World Kanto​
jq4rght.png

Concept
This game basically allows you to go through Kanto and collect gym badges in any order.
You can any city as your hometown at the start of the game. From there on, you can challenge gyms in any order you want. There are no HMs in the game. The entire map is unlocked from the start.

The levels of wild Pokémon, trainers and gym leaders are scaled depending on your badges count.
So for example, if a player decides to challenge Blaine as his first Gym Leader, Blaine will send out a low level Growlithe and Ponyta instead of his usual team, and so on for every gym leader.

Development
This game is only a side project for me. I'm re-using the maps and events from Pokémon Infinite Fusion, the other game I am developing. I do NOT intend to put a lot of time into this game.
As of now, it is still very early in development. I literally threw the entire thing together in an afternoon so do expect to find lots of glitches and dialogue inconsistencies.

You can expect a playable demo at around the same time as Infinite Fusion's next demo release.

Features
  • Gyms can be challenged in any order
  • You can start your journey in any city
  • No story, like at all.
  • Trainers and wild Pokémon levels are scaled according to your badge count
  • No HMs needed, the entire region unlocked from the start
  • Gen V mechanisms + Fairy type
  • Pokémon from gen 1 and 2 mostly

Video
Spoiler:

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
"This game is only a side project for me. I'm re-using the maps and events from Pokémon Infinite Fusion, the other game I am developing. I do NOT intend to put a lot of time into this game.
As of now, it is still very early in development. I literally threw the entire thing together in an afternoon, but a playable version should be ready soon. Expect to find lots of glitches and dialogue inconsistencies."

If it is a side project that you randomly threw together why bother take the time to play it?

Schrroms

Years
"This game is only a side project for me. I'm re-using the maps and events from Pokémon Infinite Fusion, the other game I am developing. I do NOT intend to put a lot of time into this game.
As of now, it is still very early in development. I literally threw the entire thing together in an afternoon, but a playable version should be ready soon. Expect to find lots of glitches and dialogue inconsistencies."

If it is a side project that you randomly threw together why bother take the time to play it?

Because I thought the concept was interesting and I couldn't find another fangame or romhack that did this. I already have the entire Kanto region mapped out, so the effort required to make this is minimal.
I'm not saying it will revolutionize Pokemon fangames or anything, I just thought the idea was cool and I'm curious as to how the gameplay could be in a game like this.

I consider it more like an experiment of some sort than an actual full-fledged game. You don't have to play it if you don't think it sounds fun!

Last edited:

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
i love the concept of it :D
but might as well add in johto & hoenn

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
Because I thought the concept was interesting and I couldn't find another fangame or romhack that did this. I already have the entire Kanto region mapped out, so the effort required to make this is minimal.
I'm not saying it will revolutionize Pokemon fangames or anything, I just thought the idea was cool and I'm curious as to how the gameplay could be in a game like this.

I consider it more like an experiment of some sort than an actual full-fledged game. You don't have to play it if you don't think it sounds fun!

Granted your concept is interesting. I was just pointing out your presentation didn't do it justice! ;)

I think it is a fun idea to go around Kanto without restriction (though getting Surf and Flash will be a pain in the butt.) Also making 64 different gym battles will be annoying, but rewarding. Having for instance Blaine be gym #1(IDK how you'll use surf to get to Cinnabar Island) use a growlite and ponyta and have their levels scaled according to your team, but about about if I wanted a second, or third, or even fourth gym battle? These little kinks that might seem irrelevant now will be very relevant later on to keep the level curve satisfactory. Say I wanted to train my pokes to level 50 in the wild, well, it would be ridiculous to challenge Blaine with my level 50 blastoise against his level 52 growlithe. See what I mean? To avoid this problem I would recommend to have a global level cap that will only increase with gym badge count.

Also, consider using new maps because it isn't fun to recycle another game with a fundamentally different leveling curve. Because you have an open-world game many parts of Kanto will have to be changed; like you will be able to remove those stupid underground passes or make the seafoam islands a bit more challenging and open-ended.

Schrroms

Years
Granted your concept is interesting. I was just pointing out your presentation didn't do it justice! ;)

I think it is a fun idea to go around Kanto without restriction (though getting Surf and Flash will be a pain in the butt.) Also making 64 different gym battles will be annoying, but rewarding. Having for instance Blaine be gym #1(IDK how you'll use surf to get to Cinnabar Island) use a growlite and ponyta and have their levels scaled according to your team, but about about if I wanted a second, or third, or even fourth gym battle? These little kinks that might seem irrelevant now will be very relevant later on to keep the level curve satisfactory. Say I wanted to train my pokes to level 50 in the wild, well, it would be ridiculous to challenge Blaine with my level 50 blastoise against his level 52 growlithe. See what I mean? To avoid this problem I would recommend to have a global level cap that will only increase with gym badge count.

Also, consider using new maps because it isn't fun to recycle another game with a fundamentally different leveling curve. Because you have an open-world game many parts of Kanto will have to be changed; like you will be able to remove those stupid underground passes or make the seafoam islands a bit more challenging and open-ended.

HMs aren't in the game at all. You're able to swim anywhere from the start. And yes, I did come up with 64 different teams for the gym leaders! I only did the Gym leaders manually though, every other trainer is scaled according to an algorithm based on the number of badges you have.
The level curve will definitely require some tweaks and adjustments , but it's hard to really tell how much until there's a good amount of playtesting done.

Schrroms

Years
Here's a video with some raw gameplay of the first half hour the game.
There are a couple gitches here and there, but this should give a good idea of how the game will play out.

The game is pretty much complete (except for the league). I probably won't polish it much more unless it gains a lot of interest though. Consider it more as a tech demo than anything else :P
I will release a playable demo some time after Infinite Fusino 3.0 (my main project) is released since it uses the same maps and I don't want to spoil the new ones!

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
This idea is pretty cool and one I've thought of doing a few times as well but never pulled the trigger on it ;)

I've been developing an MMO for a while now, and I wanted to give players as much freedom as possible but that's not really compatible with any kind of real storyline.

Good luck with your fan games and if this concept works out I might reconsider doing the same :P

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Here's a video with some raw gameplay of the first half hour the game.
There are a couple gitches here and there, but this should give a good idea of how the game will play out.

The game is pretty much complete (except for the league). I probably won't polish it much more unless it gains a lot of interest though. Consider it more as a tech demo than anything else :P
I will release a playable demo some time after Infinite Fusino 3.0 (my main project) is released since it uses the same maps and I don't want to spoil the new ones!

hey could fuse Open World Kanto with EX kit .
That would give this project a whole new out look on things .

You are already using BW stuff and EX kit is an updated BW kit with Gen 1-7

Schrroms

Years
hey could fuse Open World Kanto with EX kit .
That would give this project a whole new out look on things .

You are already using BW stuff and EX kit is an updated BW kit with Gen 1-7

I'll definitely look into it. This looks very nice.

Back