• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Awesome Map Editor (AME)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 30, 2018
Ok it works but i get still compling error while i dont know what i need set the Kits thing
Spoiler:
i use Microsoft Visual C ++ Compiler 15.0 (x86) on the kits thing.
And the Cmake one yaml-cpp i get still this "qtcore/qtglobal: no such file or directory" on visual studio can somebody compling the yaml-cpp.lib?

Hey,

screw VisualStudio. For Qt-only development, one should use the QtCreator IDE shipped with the Qt SDK. There are plenty of tutorials on how to set up kits in QtCreator and actually compile stuff. When you use QtCreator, there should be none of the errors you are getting, as Diego and me are doing the same.

About the conversion error: That's probably because you use the MSVC-compiler. Now you have two approaches to fix the issue:
  1. Simply compile with the MinGW compiler, which is a Windows port of the GCC and also shipped with the Qt SDK
  2. Explicitly cast the value to unsigned char, using the following format: 'auto newValue = (unsigned char) floatValue;'
There are many improvements to be made for AME, especially when it comes to compiling with different compilers, having a more robust and abstract system (which would also make implementing undo/redo way easier) and coding guidelines. When I find some spare time, I just might refactor AME entirely in order to fulfill all those points, but...

Best regards,
Pokedude

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2019
Is this still an ongoing project? Any new developments? Also does anyone know if there is a place I can get AM 1.92?

Is this still an ongoing project? Any new developments? Also does anyone know if there is a place I can get AM 1.92?

As far as I know, this project is on hold until one of the Gen 3 disassemblies is done. It makes little sense to make a tool for the pre-disassembly ROMHacking environment when the post-disassembly environment is so close.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2019
As far as I know, this project is on hold until one of the Gen 3 disassemblies is done. It makes little sense to make a tool for the pre-disassembly ROMHacking environment when the post-disassembly environment is so close.

I've hear a lot about that, what does "disassembly" mean? Is there a thread where I can get more info? Are most of the old tools going to become obsolete then? Sorry for all the questions, still really new.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 30, 2018
Hey guys, thanks for your interest (still)!

The aspect Deokishisu mentioned is a quite important one when it comes to the development of AME. As soon as there's a full-fledged disassembly of Emerald/FireRed, everyone could add, modify and design maps with ease. Without the need to mess with repointing and other annoying stuff.

Neither Diego nor me would be interested in putting a sh*t ton of work into a project that will eventually be obsolete in the (near) future, I suppose. Maybe AME will co-exist with the disassemblies - mainly for beginners that do not bother diving into rom-hacking any deeper. Maybe AME will be a tool that creates map files for the build system that exists along with the disassemblies in order to rebuild the ROM. Maybe AME will be something completely different. I don't know as of today.

Sorry that I cannot give you a definite answer on this matter. Once I talked this out with Diego, I will, though.

Best regards,
Pokedude

Last edited:
Years
Well, you already said that this one fixes the problem I was having at my one attempted hack. I moved the starting town to the side of route one, and couldn't get the maps to line up on the sides correctly.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2018
An alternative to A-map. Sign me in! But in all seriousness Im gonna be looking out for this and Im gonna get it when the full release is out. You have my wishes.

Yvtq8K3n

muhaha
Years
Could u gives us a quick video how to install the dependences/set up the git proj? Cause im at windows 10 and i couldnt build the project. Thanks. (I worked whit cmakelist a while ago on Linux thought)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 1, 2021
Hi Diego, I know you're not currently working on this project, I saw you are working really hard on the Emerald disassembly so I was wondering, will you still release this map editor eventually?
I know the disassembled rom will open a lot more doors for hacking but I would love to have a cool map editor to continue "classic" hacking.

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Alrighty, I've just forked Awesome Map Editor, and updated it's instructions on how to build, to make it easier for people to understand how to build AME.

First you need the open source Qt Creator installed, as well as Cmake that comes with it as an optional component

Then you create a folder named AME, create three folders in it named "AwesomeMapEditor", "QBoy" and "yaml-cpp" respectively. Then in the QBoy folder, create a folder named "bin" and in the bin folder, create two folders named "debug" and "release", then do the same with the yaml-cpp folder, except only create a folder named "bin".

After you've done that, download the QBoy and yaml-cpp dependencies from the GitHub repositories and copy all the files in the QBoy-master.zip and paste them into the QBoy folder, do the same with yaml-cpp.zip, after that, follow the instructions on the Awesome Map Editor GitHub repository on building it, and it'll build with no problems

So the folder structure needs to be like this:
[AME]
|
|———[AwesomeMapEditor]
|
|———[QBoy]————[bin]
| |
| [debug]
| [release]
|
|———[yaml-cpp]——[bin]

However there is a problem: I can only get it to work on a GNU/Linux distro, since yaml-cpp can't build in Windows and comes up with errors relating to googletest.

But if anyone would like to contribute to my fork of Awesome Map Editor, you're always welcome to, here's the repository if anyone's interested: https://github.com/PlatinumLucario/AwesomeMapEditor

I do plan on absorbing Awesome Script Editor into AME at some point, when ASE is at a stage of editing and saving scripts.

While I am aware there is porymap for decomp projects, I'm aiming for AME and ASE to be the tools to replace Advance Map entirely! And not just that, but to also be a companion tool to help migrate maps from binary projects to decomp projects as well.

We desperately need a map editor that's free of bugs and with continued development and fixes of bugs and improvements to the editor, so that we can have a functional map editor without any problems or having to switch between two buggy versions of A-map and risking of corrupting the ROM's binary data.

Also, if you don't have a GNU/Linux distro installed, you can also use the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), which can be enabled in the "Turn Windows features on or off" menu in Programs and Features, if the latest feature update is installed on Windows 10.

Back