ROM Hacking Discussion General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old January 3rd, 2019 (4:06 PM).

I’m new to ROM hacking, and I’m creating my first game.

I write fiction, so I know that the storyline that I have come up with will be exciting and entertaining, but I’m worried about the look of my game. I know how to map but I have no idea how to create or insert custom tiles since I’m so new to this.

My question is; will any of you play a game that only uses basic tiles already in the game?
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old January 3rd, 2019 (6:45 PM).

Nature: Adamant
      Short answer: Probably

Long answer: Being graphically appealing is usually one thing I look out for before playing a rom, but if you've got something that grabs my attention and makes me want more right from the get go it's probable that i'll stick around to see how things play out (As long as you've got decent grammar and such).

Also it's not too hard to add custom tiles, you could definitely teach yourself quickly with the use of some youtube guides, they are definitely all over the place!

Good luck with your hack, nonetheless! The PC is almost always supportive of somebody and their endeavors to create something whether it's pretty looking or not.
        #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 3rd, 2019 (8:33 PM).
      Author Of Tales

Nature: Calm
      Of course! Graphics aren't everything to me, I'd happily play through a hack that used original tiles if I liked the story and enjoyed the gameplay. You could always map with the default tiles for now and add fancy tiles later once you pick it up - don't feel pressured to learn everything at once, but as Natzen already said, there are plenty of good guides for inserting tiles floating around.
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 4th, 2019 (2:26 PM).
      gsc spriter

Nature: Naive
        i would much more prefer normal tiles over poorly made custom tiles all the way.

bad sprites really rub the the wrong way in terms of playing a pokemon hack, especially since there are so many poorly made hacks out there. while looks arent everything, they definitely help distinguish your hacks from others.

id use the default tiles for now and maybe add in custom tiles if you feel its needed.
          #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old January 6th, 2019 (3:45 AM).
        (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

Nature: Lonely
          Graphics of a game really dont matter until your storyline is good. I know that there are many hacks out there which have the original tiles but they are really good as their storyline is great. And as you said, you have great ideas for a hack, then i am sure that it must be good instead of judging the graphics of the game. Best of Luck, buddy!

Name: Swellow
          Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
            #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old February 13th, 2019 (10:29 AM). Edited February 13th, 2019 by Mewborn.

Nature: Modest
            I've played a lot of hacks that don't use custom tiles and enjoyed pretty much of then. In my opinion, depends a lot more on the storyline and other points than only custom tiles. You can make a lot of things with the original tiles from pokemon games, they're very versatile.
              #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:35 AM).
            Worrisome, but also Charming

Nature: Timid
            I feel the answer is rather thematic: if I'm playing a vanilla-esque adventure (a Liquid Crystal, a 386, a Emerald re-re-remake, Kanto-but-you-go-around-backwards, etc) I expect and prefer the normal tiles; for a custom adventure (custom regions, large-scale new implementations of stuff such as new weather patterns or a cast of Fakémon) then I prefer a customized tileset.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Zankew
            Graphics of a game really dont matter until your storyline is good.
            While I mostly approve, graphics is one of the earliest selling points of a romhack; before any progress if anything devs have to show they are, at least, not doing something bad with the graphics.

SWC Entries
            : Playfield 2009 : Misaimed for Life 2014 : As They Were 2016 : Simpler than Magic 2017 : Beyond Today 2018 :

Other Releases
            : Pseudo-Legendary : Silly human, romance is for Nidoran! (Valentine's : Tricks of the Love Fast (Valentine's) : Overlord (meow~) :
            »»More in profile link or wiki link««

The Meta Journey!
            Nidoran : Carnivine

Quick Reply