ROM Hacks Studio The ROM Hacks Studio — once known as our “Hacks Showcase” — is the best place on the web to find ROM hacks. Browse our curated collection, all made by PokéCommunity members: patch, play, and enjoy!

Ad Content

#51   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:05 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by charmite40534.

You piece of pie.Good game mate ending kinda threw it for me but i see why ya did it.More realistic evil villain instead of someone who bows before you just cause your pokemon are better.Hope a sequel comes out cause i wanna punch dreary for that XD.Btw all my mons were useless i just ran through it with aerodactly busted mon my dude.
      #52   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:53 PM).

Hi Anthroyd!

I just want to let you know that I've found your Pokemon Romhack interesting and have decided to do a let's play on it. I hope you wouldn't mind me doing a let's play on it.

I'll be sure to credit you and put a link to this thread in the video I've made for this game.

Current Let's Play Pokemon Romhack project:
      1. Pokemon: The Camry Legend

Recent Completed:
      Pokemon Dreary - 7/10

No. of completed Pokemon Romhack: 3 (as of 4th March 2019)
        #53   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:57 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by charmite40534 View Post
        You piece of pie.Good game mate ending kinda threw it for me but i see why ya did it.More realistic evil villain instead of someone who bows before you just cause your pokemon are better.Hope a sequel comes out cause i wanna punch dreary for that XD.Btw all my mons were useless i just ran through it with aerodactly busted mon my dude.
        Thanks you piece of pie. Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
        Originally Posted by ryoutak
        Hi Anthroyd!

I just want to let you know that I've found your Pokemon Romhack interesting and have decided to do a let's play on it. I hope you wouldn't mind me doing a let's play on it.

I'll be sure to credit you and put a link to this thread in the video I've made for this game.
        Go ahead! No need to ask, but thanks for asking. :)

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
          #54   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:45 PM).
        Legend

This hack caught my eye. Definitely gonna give it a play.

Credit to Corazon(or whatever he calls himself now) for banner.
          Pokemon CAWPS
          Pokemon Outlaw
            #55   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:14 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Crizzle View Post
            <_< the great crizzle has noticed you bask in the glory good sir
              #56   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:04 AM).

[

Sorry about the pretty massive reply, I guess I had more to say than I thought.[/QUOTE]

I think someone so passionate should make there own rom hack and show us how its done
                #57   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:08 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Anthroyd.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by SuguruTheFourth View Post
                I do agree that it shouldn't simply end by "My mons are better than yours" as usual, although that could be rationalized as well since even one enemy Pokemon left could present a massive threat to an unarmed human(?) like Dreary. If the main character knocks all of the bad guy's Pokemon unconscious but still has mons left themselves, it's not like the bad guy could really fight back anymore against monsters probably capable of killing him in a flash.

The main issue is that at this point the main character has a team of mons that are probably fully evolved, and they just get killed suddenly because I guess they were too stupid and turned their back to him? If a "who's got the better mons" ending is disappointing, then the main character suddenly getting offed by some guy is just as bad.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the game. For something with such a small runtime, I was genuinely intrigued by it all, and I especially liked the start. However unfortunately I felt that near the end, the quality started to dip considerably.
                I'm glad you enjoyed the first half or so. :)

You're right, the ending does have some hiccups. The main reason I tried to keep things ambiguous and blocked off exploration to the other floors of the lab (among other things), was 100% in order to pack as much potential into a sequel as possible. I do see that I went a little overboard with the pace of the plot and the text dumps in Unknown Tower, and I'll try to refactor things a little bit.

Quote:
                As for the Unknown Tower:

I hate to say it, but yeah, it was pretty dull. I think the grinding could be improved if there were simply more trainers to fight along the way, not just a few grunts on the bottom floor and a few small boss fights back to back. One thing that I value in a Pokemon game/ROM hack is when grinding your main mons is pretty much not a factor. The challenges and trainers along the way should be enough to get me almost there without being over leveled, rather than fighting the same grindable npc over and over again or running through grass for 30 minutes to an hour. New mons that I have to get on par with everyone else is different, but I don't think I should really need to put too much grind time into my earliest mons if I've been appropriately dividing up battle time against trainers.

Hell, put more content in before the final area that gets you up to that level range if you need to.

I know you've already said that this isn't exactly supposed to be the most visually impressive game out there, but this is supposed to be THE final boss stronghold, and yet it pretty much amounts to a lone simple tower without much innovative design to it. The first floor is basic with a few grunts to fight, a nurse, and a grunt meant for repetitive grinding. The rest are the exact same floor repeated a bunch, a big empty room with an elevator, and a pretty much pitch black room. (There's also the research lab but I forgot about that pretty much as soon as I was out since i wasn't really allowed to explore at all.)

Since this game doesn't have anything like the elite four/champion to end off the game, the usual spectacle of the main games is your ending. Spectacles like Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza at the end of gen 3, Spear Pillar and the Distortion World from gen 4, N's Castle from gen 5, etc.

Obviously you don't have some massive production team behind you like gamefreak, but when the final boss stronghold is comparatively unimpressive compared to areas we've already been like the Silph building, it's an issue. I left there feeling underwhelmed, and that's pretty much it. I'd suggest a bigger building with more trainers, a lot more area variation, and more physical puzzles rather than just choosing numbers until you get it. I don't think anyone would mind you taking the time to make it impressive and interesting, because it would improve the quality many times over.
                I could definitely improve the tower, thanks for your suggestions! As for the graphics, my goal was to stay as vanilla as possible in order to reflect the feeling of "I'm actually going through the original Kanto" feeling as much as possible.

Quote:
                The Final Battle:

I don't think there was too much of an issue with the final team itself, but when you send out a level 25(?) Mew as the last thing the player ever battles in the game, it just feels kinda lame. Any tension or feeling of challenge gets washed away by that. I understand not wanting to make it too hard, but I think most people got out of the Darkrai fight in a good enough condition to fight a decently high level Mew. Maybe not on level with their team, but at least enough to prevent me from two-shotting it with ease.

The Exposition Dumps:

As an aspiring writer, I get how hard it is to tell a lot of story with limited chances while still keeping everything interesting, and that's even harder for you since you can basically only communicate it through dialogue text boxes. But the thing that killed every shred of my enthusiasm about the game was the seemingly endless streams of text boxes after text boxes telling me an in-depth explanation of the backstory of everything. I found myself holding down the speedup button as hard as I possibly could just to get through all of it faster, and I legitimately even skipped some of it because I just couldn't take it.

Since you really have limited options in the ways you can tell the story, I would suggest trying to spread it out more throughout the game instead of trying to shove it down the throat of the player at the very end. Don't be afraid to introduce bits and pieces of it all earlier, I assure you it won't drag anything down. I think that could greatly improve the actual interest and hype for the end.
                Yep, as I noted at the top of my response, I'll try to refactor at least one text dump that comes to mind. Other than a couple of "dialog separations," I plan to keep most of the text the way it is. I'm actually a huge fan of long stories in ROM hacks, like the ones that the Abras tell you in Unknown Tower. If not for the player, the enjoyment is for myself. ;)

Lv. 25 Mew is actually quite a beast, with Leftovers, some of the most powerful attacks in the game, and Hypnosis. I think you either had an impressive team or you got lucky with that fight to two-shot it! xD
                I've seen a couple others manage to defeat Mew pretty quickly though, so perhaps it might be a good idea to try to make that encounter a little more engaging.

Thanks for all of the feedback, I appreciate it!

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Crizzle
                Hey Crizzle, hope you like it. :)

UPDATE: I recently started adding aftergame content. It shouldn't last longer than 30 minutes, but I'm itching to try to bring the story together a little more with this extra bit. I'll be releasing the aftergame in about a week.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                  #58   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:08 PM).
                Hack Lurker

Nature: Hardy
                  It's clear a lot of effort has gone into this hack but...I just can't bring myself to want to play it.
                  It's so incredibly story heavy that I found myself constantly trying to skip dialogue as quickly as I could.
                  To me it just seems like in your attempt to create a convincing story (and it seems like its great), you've forgotten that a lot about Pokemon is exploration, travelling and simplicity.
                  If you managed to cut some of the dialogue shorter and make the story a little easier to follow, as well as making the areas larger, you'd have a much better game.

I'm not hating on it, there's clearly a lot of effort here! Keep it up!
                    #59   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:08 AM).

Nature: Adamant
                    I just barely turned it on and played through route 1, but I want to say I love the atmosphere. The custom music really sets it apart with one exception that keeps pulling me away and that's the final fantasy victory theme. I love final fantasy, but something so recognizable pulls the player away from your game and back to Cecil, Locke, Cloud, Squall, and Zidane. I hope you put some consideration into maybe changing it, or hopefully at least not using something so recognizable in the sequel. I love the other creative ideas you've put in place, I just wanted to give one man's feedback in hope that you give it consideration for future projects.
                      #60   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:26 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Anthroyd.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Hemmo View Post
                      It's clear a lot of effort has gone into this hack but...I just can't bring myself to want to play it.
                      It's so incredibly story heavy that I found myself constantly trying to skip dialogue as quickly as I could.
                      To me it just seems like in your attempt to create a convincing story (and it seems like its great), you've forgotten that a lot about Pokemon is exploration, travelling and simplicity.
                      If you managed to cut some of the dialogue shorter and make the story a little easier to follow, as well as making the areas larger, you'd have a much better game.

I'm not hating on it, there's clearly a lot of effort here! Keep it up!
                      I love games with heavy story telling, hence Dreary's theme. The plot doesn't warrant much exploration, but I've still allowed for as much openness as I could while still holding onto that "short story" focus.

Other than that, I am working on doing a small amount of dialog refactoring (separating) in the Unknown Tower, which is where I've seen the most complaints about too much reading.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by zestyjam
                      I just barely turned it on and played through route 1, but I want to say I love the atmosphere. The custom music really sets it apart with one exception that keeps pulling me away and that's the final fantasy victory theme. I love final fantasy, but something so recognizable pulls the player away from your game and back to Cecil, Locke, Cloud, Squall, and Zidane. I hope you put some consideration into maybe changing it, or hopefully at least not using something so recognizable in the sequel. I love the other creative ideas you've put in place, I just wanted to give one man's feedback in hope that you give it consideration for future projects.
                      I'm glad you like the atmosphere, that was pretty tough to get right. :)

Honestly, I've never played Final Fantasy, so I have no connection to its characters or its music. I just like the subtly and simplicity of the victory song, so I decided to use it. I'll keep an eye out for any more comments on the soundtrack, though.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                        #61   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:02 AM).

Updating this thread to alert that Pokémon Dreary is now 100% complete!
                        I hope you enjoy playing! :)
                          #62   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:35 AM).
                        Hey, it's me, the Mos!

Nature: Calm
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by fogal22
                          Updating this thread to alert that Pokémon Dreary is now 100% complete!
                          I hope you enjoy playing! :)
                          People already know that the game is 100% completed, you didn't need to point that out

Name: Lights
                          Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                            #63   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:56 AM).

Best rom hack I have ever played since ever, yet the ending so many question in my mind that I want to know and please make more of this
                              #64   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:13 AM).

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by killermedina14 View Post
                              Best rom hack I have ever played since ever, yet the ending so many question in my mind that I want to know and please make more of this
                              :) thanks, happy you liked it so far

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                #65   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:00 PM).

Hi there, I'm one of your stream viewers from the other days. I'm playing through your hack (only up to Cinnabar Island so far), and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm just posting here because I want to report a few glitches and error.

1) Whatever system you used to decapitalize everything missed some stuff. For instance, the trendy words for the easy chat system vary from being decapitialized, to being fully capitalized, to being partially capitalized. Other instances of this is the flashback screens that happen when you load the save file referring to the "Pokemon League Gate" as the "Pokemon League GATE", and a message on a computer in the Cinnabar Lab ending with "Pokemon RESearch TEAM". I understand this might not be something you can fix, but figure it's worth noting

Spoiler:

2) Related to the easy chat system mentioned above, is the fact that the questionnaire fully works even with the Pokemarts being empty. If you put the LINK TOGETHER WITH ALL message, the non-existent sales clerk will tell you that mystery gift is unlocked and the option will be available.

Spoiler:

3) The broken boat on Route 23 can be walked through except for one tile.

4) On floor 8 of the Silph building, one of the policemen has the title of Elite Four, which gave me a good laugh when I saw it. Also, his defeat text has a sentence error, as he says "Items should would come in handy." One of the -ould words needs to go. This is the guy:

Spoiler:

5) A spelling error for the policeman in front of the Pokemon Trainer Club house, he says "The man in this house won't resond to us." Respond is missing a p.

6) If you try to take the Hitmonchan from the fighting dojo while you have a full party, it gives you the message " navybue fr You party is full." Forgot an l and a r here.

7) Finally, a major one with the fossil restoration system. It seems to be mixed up about which fossil you have. I had only the Helix fossil, but the text asked me to revive the Dome fossil, and gave me a Kabuto. Likewise, when I grabbed the Dome fossil after this, it asked if I wanted to revive the Helix fossil and game me an Omanyte. The Old Amber works fine if you give it to the machine after the other two at least.

Spoiler:

That's all I've found so far. Like I said, I'm enjoying the hack so far. It's challenging and I'm having fun with it, plus the mystery has me hooked on figuring out what is going on. Thanks for everything!
                                  #66   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:37 PM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Sapphire Jester View Post
                                  Hi there, I'm one of your stream viewers from the other days. I'm playing through your hack (only up to Cinnabar Island so far), and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm just posting here because I want to report a few glitches and error.

1) Whatever system you used to decapitalize everything missed some stuff. For instance, the trendy words for the easy chat system vary from being decapitialized, to being fully capitalized, to being partially capitalized. Other instances of this is the flashback screens that happen when you load the save file referring to the "Pokemon League Gate" as the "Pokemon League GATE", and a message on a computer in the Cinnabar Lab ending with "Pokemon RESearch TEAM". I understand this might not be something you can fix, but figure it's worth noting

Spoiler:

2) Related to the easy chat system mentioned above, is the fact that the questionnaire fully works even with the Pokemarts being empty. If you put the LINK TOGETHER WITH ALL message, the non-existent sales clerk will tell you that mystery gift is unlocked and the option will be available.

Spoiler:

3) The broken boat on Route 23 can be walked through except for one tile.

4) On floor 8 of the Silph building, one of the policemen has the title of Elite Four, which gave me a good laugh when I saw it. Also, his defeat text has a sentence error, as he says "Items should would come in handy." One of the -ould words needs to go. This is the guy:

Spoiler:

5) A spelling error for the policeman in front of the Pokemon Trainer Club house, he says "The man in this house won't resond to us." Respond is missing a p.

6) If you try to take the Hitmonchan from the fighting dojo while you have a full party, it gives you the message " navybue fr You party is full." Forgot an l and a r here.

7) Finally, a major one with the fossil restoration system. It seems to be mixed up about which fossil you have. I had only the Helix fossil, but the text asked me to revive the Dome fossil, and gave me a Kabuto. Likewise, when I grabbed the Dome fossil after this, it asked if I wanted to revive the Helix fossil and game me an Omanyte. The Old Amber works fine if you give it to the machine after the other two at least.

Spoiler:

That's all I've found so far. Like I said, I'm enjoying the hack so far. It's challenging and I'm having fun with it, plus the mystery has me hooked on figuring out what is going on. Thanks for everything!
                                  Sapphire Kirby? Hey there :)
                                  Thanks for all of the glitch reports! Very detailed, very valuable. I'll be fixing them in the near future.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                    #67   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                  Old 1 Week Ago (11:03 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Sapphire Jester.

Hi again. Glad you were happy with the first report, cause I have some more errors and glitches. I haven't beaten the game yet so I'll save most comments on the game itself until then, though I'm close. That said, I do agree with the others that Unknown Tower needs to be fixed to make grinding easier, like adding a few more trainers or upping the levels of the Pokemon found with the good rod and from the elevator grids.

Anyways, here's what I found, glitch-wise:

1) This is actually something I discovered earlier but I forgot about it. When you cross the water on Route 23, the black screen effect doesn't make everything black. Sometimes the boats will still be visible. I think how many are visible depends on which way you're going.

Spoiler:

2) Not sure if this is an error or for space limitations, but May and Brendan have the trainer class "Hoen Trainer" rather than "Hoenn Trainer".

3) Related to the above: In text outside of battle Brendan's name is correctly spelled, but in battle his name is misspelled as "Brenden".

Spoiler:

4) In newer Pokemon games, Growth raises Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage normally, and raises those stats by 2 stages if in strong Sunlight. In this hack, the attack raises both stats by 2 stages in normal weather. Slightly annoying for Brendan's Tropius, really annoying for a certain Petal Dance-using Venusaur.

5) After exiting the shopping menu from the repel salesman in Victory Road, the salesman will start walking around while the buy sell exit menu is up. Also I think the palette in the shopping menu becomes glitchy (due to not being a Pokemart /Pokemart tileset like you said in your tutorial videos) but I can't remember since I didn't take a picture of that part. Neither of these issues effect the Unknown Tower saleman.

Spoiler:

6) Related to the decapitlization issues from the first post, the Curse status is referred to in all caps. The name of the attack is fine though.

Spoiler:

7) Spelling error: When Xergle has the guards surround you, he'll yell "WHAT IS HELL IS TH--". I'm guessing the first IS should be a THE.

8) Something got messed up with the TM palettes, as they all have glitchy coloring. Dragon is the exception, as Dragon Claw looks normal for some reason.

Spoiler:

9) Normally when you try using Thunder Wave on a Pokemon that's immune to it, the attack animation won't play and you'll get a message saying the move has no effect. Twice when I used Thunder Wave on a Porygon in the tower, the animation played but the Pokemon wasn't paralyzed and didn't give a message saying it was immune. Both those Pokemon had the ability Download and I was able to paralyze a Porygon with Trace, so I think Download might be the problem. I'm not sure, that glitch will need some investigating.

10) Unless you changed the TM charts, no Pokemon available to the player (according to the Obtainable Pokemon text file) can learn Calm Mind, Making the Calm Mind TM that's available useless.

11) Unless you changed how evolution works for some Pokemon, the Moon, Sun, and Leaf stones available from the Pokemon Mansion are useless.

12) The Obtainable Pokemon text file in the zip folder for the game doesn't list the Pokemon available from the elevator grid in the tower (Porygon, Magnemite, Gastly).

Since I'm almost finished with the game, I doubt there'll be anymore errors or glitches, but if there are I'll report them.
                                      #68   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                    Old 1 Week Ago (5:42 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Burningocean2012.
                                    Burningocean2012 Burningocean2012 is offline

Nature: Gentle
                                      So is there going to be a sequel?I feel abit annoyed and sad because of the forced "death" with no way to save anyone.I really didn't know it would have such an awful and depressing ending.And if there is a sequel it has to be our real character and not some new person added to the story...

Besides the ending upsetting me the game was pretty good.
                                      Catalyst/Black Cinder/Scarlet Blaze/Jasper/Axis/Cyan/Winds of Shadow
                                      Sage/Unbound/DiamondAndPearl Advance/Lilac/Gaia DS

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.
                                        #69   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                      Old 1 Week Ago (8:37 PM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Burningocean2012 View Post
                                        So is there going to be a sequel?I feel abit annoyed and sad because of the forced "death" with no way to save anyone.I really didn't know it would have such an awful and depressing ending.And if there is a sequel it has to be our real character and not some new person added to the story...

Besides the ending upsetting me the game was pretty good.
                                        Yes, the plan was to reveal the rest of the story with more content in the future. I'll be releasing an aftergame within the coming weeks, which will peek into the next part of the plot. Hopefully that will ease your disappointment with how things were left off through the main part of the game! :)

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                          #70   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                        Old 1 Week Ago (5:48 AM).

Congratulations on this very beautiful hack, really waiting for a sequel
                                            #71   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                          Old 1 Week Ago (6:24 AM).
                                          Burningocean2012 Burningocean2012 is offline

Nature: Gentle
                                            Okay!I feel better knowing that.That's great.
                                            Catalyst/Black Cinder/Scarlet Blaze/Jasper/Axis/Cyan/Winds of Shadow
                                            Sage/Unbound/DiamondAndPearl Advance/Lilac/Gaia DS

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.
                                              #72   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                            Old 1 Week Ago (6:45 AM).
                                            Author Of Tales

Nature: Calm
                                            I really like hacks that focus more on the story than anything else. I also like unhappy stories haha. I'm gonna have to get around to playing this soon, heard good things!
                                              #73   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                            Old 5 Days Ago (5:33 AM).

Somes songs were nice, and I ask you, what were the song from the trainer battle and the song in viridian city
                                                #74   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                              Old 5 Days Ago (1:05 PM).

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by Robinny View Post
                                                Somes songs were nice, and I ask you, what were the song from the trainer battle and the song in viridian city
                                                Trainerbattle: No idea :/
                                                Viridian City: Pyrite Town - Pkmn Colosseum

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                                  #75   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                                Old 4 Days Ago (11:49 AM).
                                                Fullbusterfrost Fullbusterfrost is offline

Charizard just walks through this game without even hitting lv40. And tbh that really was the worst ending, it makes the game not worth picking up in the first place. At least leave the empty region open to explore.
                                                  It's VERY short
                                                  There's no variety of interesting pokemon (even NPC's have no variety)
                                                  It's easy to get stumped by unintuitive progression triggers (hence the FAQs above that tell you how to progress)
                                                  The story is interesting, though there is a lot of reading, I was invested until the poor ending ruined the whole game
                                                  All in all its disappointing considering the potential it had. I wouldn't like to see a sequel to this game, I'd like to see this game improved and continued from where it ends.

Quick Reply