ROM Hacks Studio The ROM Hacks Studio — once known as our “Hacks Showcase” — is the best place on the web to find ROM hacks. Browse our curated collection, all made by PokéCommunity members: patch, play, and enjoy!

Ad Content

#101   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old May 23rd, 2017 (3:47 PM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
    Thank you for all the wonderful feedback, Linnie. Always nice to hear from you.

I definitely need to revisit Route 50 and Tangelo Jungle, they are both rather outdated and were made when I first began the hack, and it shows.

I'll see about having some more variety for encounters. To explain Poliwag, I must give players the ability to have Surf on every island. Otherwise, someone could release Lapras and have no means to Surf, which I am trying to avoid. I will try to add more normal types as well, but I will also say after Crystal Cave is when the game gets interesting (pretty much beginning with the Crystal Onix). I finally have my Pokedex list completed and we'll be seeing Pokemon from pretty much every region aside from Unova (simply put, none made their way to the list).

I think I know how to fix the Nest Area Map, but it will take some playing around. I'll investigate Route 54's swimmers and the Sharp Beak NPC, but the former I am pretty sure from the sprite bank getting full (I was trying to make it more open world but game really needs to move on to a new mapgroup, which thankfully Crystal Cave provides).

The song is ED 6 of the Japanese Pokemon Anime. I think it's called Riding on Lapras.
    Why you no like Unova? I thought it had great Pokemon in it. Beyond that, the work so far is impressive and I want more. One more question: Can I keep my save from this Alpha and reuse it for later releases or not? I am using VBA-M to record tracks from the game and don't want to have to remember all of them. It's mainly the new tracks mostly as some are reused from the base game.
      #102   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old May 23rd, 2017 (5:47 PM).

Nature: Bashful
      When I name myself and shrink down the game freezes and shows
      A picture that says the game pak is designed for game boy color. I was playing on vba so I got a gbc emulator and it still popped up.
        #103   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old May 24th, 2017 (1:59 AM).

Quote:
        To explain Poliwag, I must give players the ability to have Surf on every island. Otherwise, someone could release Lapras and have no means to Surf, which I am trying to avoid.
        out of curiosity, couldn't you add something similar to gen 3, so you can't release a surf pokemon if it's the last one you have?

explained here: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Released_Pok%C3%A9mon#Core_series

amazing work so far, keep it up!
          #104   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old May 24th, 2017 (3:30 AM).
        Let's play a game...

Nature: Adamant
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Ziko577 View Post
        Why you no like Unova? I thought it had great Pokemon in it. Beyond that, the work so far is impressive and I want more. One more question: Can I keep my save from this Alpha and reuse it for later releases or not? I am using VBA-M to record tracks from the game and don't want to have to remember all of them. It's mainly the new tracks mostly as some are reused from the base game.
        From my own experience saves break every two islands I add, I am going to try to make the next release a big one, so this is probably the last alpha I'll throw out.

And idk, nothing from Unova really fits, in my opinion.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Shere Can View Post
        When I name myself and shrink down the game freezes and shows
        A picture that says the game pak is designed for game boy color. I was playing on vba so I got a gbc emulator and it still popped up.
        I can not reproduce this bug. Have you tried it in BGB emulator? Also, make sure you are patching a USA Crystal ROM.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by sergitic View Post
        out of curiosity, couldn't you add something similar to gen 3, so you can't release a surf pokemon if it's the last one you have?

explained here: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Released_Pok%C3%A9mon#Core_series

amazing work so far, keep it up!
        I will look into this, if it isn't hard to add it will probably make its way in.

#105   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old May 24th, 2017 (8:20 AM).

Oh ok. I'll just delete what I have and wait. I've already done what I wanted to with it for now.
            #106   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old May 24th, 2017 (1:15 PM).
          Let's play a game...

Thanks to Rangi, Pinkan Pokmon are completely coded. There's a very minor graphical bug, not related to Pinkan Island that I am trying to hammer out but aside from that that, the code is finished.

In honor I have dedicated a small island to Rangi.

Pokemon caught on Pinkan Island are permanently pink, while ones that eat Pinkan Berries become Pink temporarily, shown by a status. You can lose this by healing at a center or getting knocked out, or as I like to call it "Getting the Pink smacked out of you, Charizard."

I also revised the Pokedex a bit, and now we have some Gen 5 Pokemon to those who wanted them.

#107   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old May 25th, 2017 (10:00 AM).

Quote:

Thanks to Rangi, Pinkan Pokémon are completely coded. There's a very minor graphical bug, not related to Pinkan Island that I am trying to hammer out but aside from that that, the code is finished.

In honor I have dedicated a small island to Rangi.

Pokemon caught on Pinkan Island are permanently pink, while ones that eat Pinkan Berries become Pink temporarily, shown by a status. You can lose this by healing at a center or getting knocked out, or as I like to call it "Getting the Pink smacked out of you, Charizard."

I also revised the Pokedex a bit, and now we have some Gen 5 Pokemon to those who wanted them.
            Thanks for that! I love the Unova region and this hack will at least have some of them. The Pink effect looks nice too.
              #108   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old May 25th, 2017 (2:33 PM).

Pink Pokemon, so cool!
                #109   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old May 26th, 2017 (8:39 AM).
              Let's play a game...

Update 5/26/17

-Wailmer and Wailord added
              -SightSeerM by Rangi added
              -Completed Route 55, Pinkan Island, and most of Route 56 (Which is 2 maps long, by the way)
              -2nd Rival Battle (It's pretty tough!)

To Do (by end of weekend):
              -Fix movesets, menu icons, and TMs
              -Add Dive graphic (lots of open space on the new routes, some of which is meant to be a future Dive area)
              -Add Stunfisk, Relicanth, Cincinno and Mincinno
              -Complete Kinnow Island

I am visiting my home for about a week starting next weekend, so I will have much more time to work on the hack. I am hoping to have Beta 1 ready by midsummer.

Beta 1 includes:
              -Clouds on titlescreen
              -Spruced up Pokedex (complete and organized)
              -2 Gym Badges
              -Pokeflute and Snorlax Event
              -All grammatical or scripting bugs fixed up to that point
              -Revised teams and maps for Route 50 and 51

The first beta may very well go past these benchmarks, but that is the current goal.

#110   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old May 26th, 2017 (10:15 AM).

That's great! I'm glad you used my suggestion for the Unova pokemon. Also, at the rate you're working this thing will be done like dinner by the fall hopefully.
                  #111   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old May 27th, 2017 (6:51 AM).

Nature: Careful
                  There are four leftover map constants without corresponding map headers:

Code:
                  mapgroup ROUTE_35_GOLDENROD_GATE,                     4,  5 ; 14
                  mapgroup ROUTE_35_NATIONAL_PARK_GATE,                 4,  4 ; 15
                  mapgroup ROUTE_36_RUINS_OF_ALPH_GATE,                 4,  5 ; 16
                  mapgroup ROUTE_36_NATIONAL_PARK_GATE,                 4,  5 ; 17
                  This breaks the utils/map.py renderer.

I'm looking forward to exploring Pinkan Island.

If the water palette's black hue were dark blue instead, Dive water could use it, like this (note buoys are affected too):

You'd need to use two different tile IDs for Dive water, but the graphic data itself, and the AnimateRSEWaterTile routine, could be reused.
                    #112   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old May 30th, 2017 (11:33 AM).
                  Let's play a game...

Deleted those maps, I'll hopefully be able to update my repository tonight.

Finalized Route 55, 56 and Pinkan Island over the weekend, and added several new Pokmon.

Hopefully will be able to complete Kinnow Island and Route 57 by end of the week, the concepts for them are finished on paper. I originally planned for the Skate Shop to be on Mandarin North, but due to me shifting the plot around it will now be on Kinnow Island.

At the skate shop, you'll be able to get a skateboard. This simply replaces the bike but I felt it was more fitting for a chain of islands as opposed to a Bicycle.

#113   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old May 30th, 2017 (3:37 PM).

Uhm Pia Carrot, forgive me if it's sounds as a noob question but when are you going to work on Ancient Platinum? If my memory serves well, you said you were going to work on it when you release the Alpha 2 of this hack. You share nothing regarding to it. Thanks in advance

Name: CrystalDust
                    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                      #114   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old May 31st, 2017 (3:42 AM).
                    Let's play a game...

Beta 2, meaning the main game is complete. Alpha 3 is nowhere even close to Beta 1.

The more time I take on Orange means that Ancient Platinum will be an even better game. I'm hoping for TimelessCrystal to progress enough to the point we can add more than 253~ Pokemon, because then I can start making games compatible with each other for trading or battling.

#115   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old May 31st, 2017 (3:53 AM).

Quote:
                      Beta 2, meaning the main game is complete. Alpha 3 is nowhere even close to Beta 1.

The more time I take on Orange means that Ancient Platinum will be an even better game. I'm hoping for TimelessCrystal to progress enough to the point we can add more than 253~ Pokemon, because then I can start making games compatible with each other for trading or battling.
                      My goodness... as a Sinnoh lover, I appreciated this more than you can imagine! Sorry for the misunderstanding of the words btw. You say nowhere close but your progress is quite fast compared to the most of the hacks, I think you should not sell yourself short

#116   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old May 31st, 2017 (8:13 AM).

Quote:

So by the time we get to Beta 2, it's pretty much a wrap right? Again, how many Pokemon will be in the final version and will there be any post-game content? I ask because the revised map contains what appears to be Shamouti Island.
                          #117   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old May 31st, 2017 (8:31 AM).
                        Let's play a game...

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by qazmachuck View Post
                        My goodness... as a Sinnoh lover, I appreciated this more than you can imagine! Sorry for the misunderstanding of the words btw. You say nowhere close but your progress is quite fast compared to the most of the hacks, I think you should not sell yourself short

Thank you, it always means a lot to me when people like what I do for fun, I like hacks just as much as you all do and I strive to make mine the best I can possibly make them.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Ziko577 View Post
                        So by the time we get to Beta 2, it's pretty much a wrap right? Again, how many Pokemon will be in the final version and will there be any post-game content? I ask because the revised map contains what appears to be Shamouti Island.

Beta 2 will contain all of Orange Islands, including Shamouti. We may be sharing some resources between Polished Crystal, Red++ and this hack in terms of map design. At the moment, Shamouti will be available after the 4th and final gym, via a boat on Kumquat Island. It was originally going to be a place you could visit multiple times during game progression but as of now it will all take place the moment you go there.

Beta 3 will contain post game but at that point development will most likely slow down. Post game will include most of tie ins with Red/Blue version, as well as expanded Kanto areas (like Cinnabar being a large island instead of 4 buildings and a dungeon). Beta 3 will also focus on expanding Orange Islands via Dive, which is currently only a cosmetic tile on the water but eventually will be implemented.

After all of that I will consider the game done, and wait for bug reports to come in, and I will fix them on my own time, or allow others to do so, since the source code will be available on Github.

#118   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old May 31st, 2017 (8:41 AM).

Quote:
                          Thank you, it always means a lot to me when people like what I do for fun, I like hacks just as much as you all do and I strive to make mine the best I can possibly make them.

Welp, you have conquered this fan's heart for sure! If you need any help regarding creating a scenario, please let me know! (maybe for the post game?)

#119   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old June 1st, 2017 (6:59 PM). Edited June 3rd, 2017 by looneyman1.
                          The Psycho Pokemon

Nature: Jolly
                            I caught a alolan geodude and it was then I noticed theres not a proper phys/special split in this hack. Its your choice if you wanna add it or not but considering geodude has practically no special attack and the fact you dont wnna alter base stats, wouldn't it make sense to impliment the 4th gen phys/spec split for this hack? I would love to have proper dual STABs for my geodude.

EDIT: For the crystal onix, I saw you were thinking of making it part steel over rock, but I had a thought with regards to that. Steel is not resistant or immune to water in the least. As such while being steel rather than rock would give it some better defense against water types in general its ground typing will still be a issue. Heck it would be no different than Steelix at that point as well. I would reccomend perhaps keeping the rock type (because crystal is a form of rock as opposed to metal) but remove the ground typing and replace it with water or go with the ice typing suggested a while back or perhaps change how steel types operate and make steel types resistant to water moves in order to account for the crystal onix's tolerance of water while also maintaining its weakness to fire. Steelix may need an overhaul to account for the crystal onix however.
                              #120   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old June 5th, 2017 (8:49 AM).
                            Let's play a game...

https://github.com/PiaCarrot/pokeorange

New repo for Pokeorange, finally learning how to use it properly. You can see all the newest updates here.

@looneyman1 I have no plans for P/S Split, unfortunately I realize this will make some Pokemon trash tier like Geodude. However, I do feel that is part of the game and I wanted it to have some mechanical flaws in the sense of meta like what RBY and GSC had.

Also, I will probably not do the Steel type Crystal Onix and just keep its current typing. I guess people will just have to deal with the fact it's in the water, lol.

#121   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old June 5th, 2017 (8:11 PM).
                            The Psycho Pokemon

Nature: Jolly
                              ugh that sucks...............the lack of a phys spec split really hurts...
                                #122   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old June 7th, 2017 (10:16 AM).
                              Let's play a game...

I have some updated Screenshots to show:

And a sneak peak at Golden Island, an island where a strange Meowth cult lives...

I'd like to thank Rangi for their help with cleaning up code in Orange, I now have much much much more space to work with! (around 20ish percent free space to over 50).

#123   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old June 7th, 2017 (10:50 PM).
                              YouTube - SuperSonic6

Nature: Serious
                                Great hack so far! I would love to fully play it when it's done!
                                  #124   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old June 11th, 2017 (5:08 PM).
                                Wynaut

:) I started playing Orange today, and I found this!

Pokemon Cosmos Discord Server: https://discord.gg/kHYePnE

Find me on Discord or whatever. @Wobb#2777
                                  #125   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old June 12th, 2017 (7:54 PM).

Nature: Careful
                                  There's another pull request on GitHub, and I have a few graphical suggestions; curious if you like any of them.

• Replace the useless "menu account" with a visible clock, since there's no Pokgear
                                  • Make the Pokdex white, more like a notebook than a digital screen, to match the "Gen 1.5" feel
                                  • Vary the Town Map island shapes with different corner tiles
                                  • Show the tops of the heads on the Trainer Card, and get rid of the space left over from having only four (didn't you have some plans for more info to display there?)

Quick Reply