Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

Ad Content

#101   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:12 PM).

Nature: Quirky
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FactoriesFarAway View Post
    It was very difficult. I was honestly tempted to give up at Steven. I must've reset about 20-30 times before finally defeating him. It was one of, if not the hardest battle I've ever done in an RPG, nevermind in just a Pokemon game, and if it wasn't for Shedinja being pure cheese I wouldn't have been able to do it. As far as I'm concerned now that that one's out of the way, the others can't possibly be harder. I get the feeling Platinum will be pretty unforgiving too though.
    Nah, Platinum is fine. Scyther/Scizor is absolutely amazeballs in Gen 4. Scyther was the MVP in my Christian Challenge on Platinum (meaning no evolution, no Ghost/Dark/Psychic Pokemon or moves, and a couple of other less important rules). I never tried Mono Bug on Platinum but it should be doable.

Black 2 is probably the easiest one out there, which is funny since Black 2 is usually the hardest game for most challenges. I used Heracross, Volcarona, Crustle, Galvantula, Leavanny and (post-league) Yanmega, but there's also Scolipede, Vespiquen, Pinsir, Escavalier, Accelgor, Skorupi (lol) and I guess Shuckle (meh). Even if you insist on using only Gen 5 Pokemon you could get a pretty nice team.
      #102   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:43 PM).

Spoiler:
      Made huge progress on Omega Ruby.
      • Steamrolled Flannery with Lilypad, bubblebeam spam ftw

Somehow I forgot to take a pic of defeating Norman but I assure you I did, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get any further!
        Went to the desert and picked up the Root Fossil, went back to Rustboro after Norman and revived it, welcome to the team Turnip the Lileep!
        Next I made my way up to Fortree, on the way I caught my last team member, Froot the Tropius, needed a flyer.
        Turnip had gained a lot of levels between Mauville and Fortree, so he helped me beat Wynona quite easily

Then grabbed Sceptilite from Steven and was able to train Froot and Turnip tons on the way to Lilycove, we cleared Mt Pyre and the Magma hideout, Turnip evolved during this into Cradily.
        Then we decided to surf the entire ocean, battling every trainer we could find, took a while but we got there, with a team full of grass types it was no problem. We then challenged Tate and Liza who were frankly, pathetic.

We then travelled to the seafloor cavern, cleared it out and after Maxie let Groudon loose we travelled to Sootopolis City, Maxie was actually a pretty challenging battle, his Crobat was nasty with its poison and flying attacks.
        We caught Groudon and challenged Wallace, the gym puzzle was making me mad it had been so long since I'd done it!

Onwards to the League!
        #103   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:18 AM).

Spoiler:

After making my way through Victory Road we ran into Wally, he was not difficult, then it was time to finally enter the League!

Sydney didn't really stand a chance with Fungurl at my side, super effective hits and a high attack stat, he lost hard.
        Spoiler:

Next up was Phoebe and I forgot how tanky her Dusclops and Dusknoir could be, wasn't too challenging, I had to heal from confusion a few times but Flora's Feint Attack helped big time.
        Spoiler:

Next was Glacia, now this was a match I had been scared about the entire run, but actually? Using a combination of Fungurl's fighting attacks and Flora's dark attacks for the two Frosslass, it wasn't too bad.
        Spoiler:

Next was Drake and with Lilypad's Ice Beam we made short work of his team, I don't even remember him getting a single hit off.
        Spoiler:

Last up was Steven, now this battle made me afraid, I felt pretty confident going in but first match his Claydol had set up screens and basically walled me from doing much damage to his Mega Metagross, which destroyed me, but I perservered! Went in a second time and KO'd the Claydol before it could set anything up and then it was just a case of Surfing the Metagross with Lilypad, aiming for its lower Special defense.
        Spoiler:

And that's that!
        Spoiler:

Final team:
        Spoiler:

I didn't take a pic but somehow my total gametime only ended up at 12 hours and 1 minute, this might be the fastest I have ever completed any Pokemon game ever, I'm sure even Pokemon Blue took me longer than that, kind of weird. But I thoroughly enjoyed this playthrough and am excited to go onto more challenging games in the future, I think next up I will tackle Heart Gold, Blossom is off to Johto!
          #104   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:06 PM).
        Youngster

Nature: Sassy
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Aleimon Thimble View Post
          Nah, Platinum is fine. Scyther/Scizor is absolutely amazeballs in Gen 4. Scyther was the MVP in my Christian Challenge on Platinum (meaning no evolution, no Ghost/Dark/Psychic Pokemon or moves, and a couple of other less important rules). I never tried Mono Bug on Platinum but it should be doable.

Black 2 is probably the easiest one out there, which is funny since Black 2 is usually the hardest game for most challenges. I used Heracross, Volcarona, Crustle, Galvantula, Leavanny and (post-league) Yanmega, but there's also Scolipede, Vespiquen, Pinsir, Escavalier, Accelgor, Skorupi (lol) and I guess Shuckle (meh). Even if you insist on using only Gen 5 Pokemon you could get a pretty nice team.
          Admittedly, I'm not as familar with Platinum as I am with other games, but I'm fairly sure you don't get access to Scyther until you have at least 3 or 4 badges. You don't get access to Yanma to get Yanmega until you have 3 or 4 badges either. The early game will be absolutely awful as you only have access to Kricketot, and Wurmple who you basically have to beg will evolve into Beautifly if you pick it up. The earliest decent pick up you can get is Vespiquen, but she requires both waiting around for honey trees to spawn Pokemon, and to specifically get a female Combee.
            #105   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:17 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
          Youngster

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 5 – Badge 5, 6 & 7

Spoiler:
            I’m going to first apologise for doing 3 badges in one part, but I did most of this whilst out of the house during times when I was free/breaks, with no access to my PC. Right now it’s Sunday night and I’m writing it all up at once.

The first thing I needed to do was catch a Krabby, as I needed a HM Slave, so I picked up the fishing rod in Olivine and caught one fairly quickly. I taught it Surf and made my way towards Mahogany Town, getting the HM for Strength along the way, to do the Lake of Rage and Rocket Hideout part of the story. The main reason I wanted to get this out of the way ASAP is so I could get access to the Thief TM. This was fairly uneventful beyond gaining a number of levels. I taught Thief to Ledian and headed back to Ecruteak.

It was now time to grind wild Pokemon for a Magnemite with Metal Coat. I spent an hour on it with no success, so I wanted to figure out an easier solution for this.

After some searching online, I found an alternative. Apparently, the ability CompoundEyes has the added effect of it increasing the likelihood of a Pokemon holding an item to 20% from 5% as long as it’s at the front of the party. Even if it's fainted. So it was now time to catch a Butterfree, one of the two Pokemon available to me currently with that ability, at the Bug Catching Contest. I had to mess around with my date a lot to figure out how to do it, as if you straight up change your date to a bug catching day, it doesn’t work. I set it 3 minutes before the day rolled over (23:57) and caught my Butterfree within 3 minutes of starting the contest, which is superb luck as Scyther, with the same encounter rate, took me 13 minutes to find.

Now that I had my Butterfree, I replaced Krabby with it, put it in the front of my party and continued my search for Metal Coat, now finding it within 5 minutes of looking with the help of CompoundEyes. Thank you, Bulbapedia, for having this information, or I likely would’ve been here for hours. It was definitely a TIL moment.

Despite that, I was going to wait until Level 30 to trade my Scizor, because of the rule about how Pokemon should be level 30 before you trade them to evolve, and even though it says that only applies to Leafeon/Glaceon and Crabominable, I’d rather not take the risk, especially since from now until 30, Scyther doesn’t learn different moves from Scizor.

I made my way to Cianwood Island, avoiding all the trainers I could along the way, boxed Krabby and picked up Shuckie the Shuckle from Kirk, the man on the island who wants you to look after his Shuckle. I decided to go with his Shuckle as I get the additional trade experience from it so it’ll level faster, even if it initially starts off at a lower level than wild ones. Moreover, wild Shuckle have only a 10% encounter rate. I honestly was (and still am) unsure of what Shuckle is going to do though. The only TMs it would be able to use well (Gyro Ball and Toxic) are available only in Kanto.

Getting through Chuck’s gym was fairly easy with the help of Heracross’s Aerial Ace and Scyther’s Wing Attack. It was fairly uneventful with little to talk about. Easy badge get.

Once I had done with the gym and had access to Fly, I flew back to Cherrygrove City and picked up the Exp. Share from Mr Pokemon, giving that to Shuckle to level him up. I fought all the trainers in the ocean between Olivine and Cianwood.

I went to fight Pryce following this, as I figured he would be the easier of the two gym leaders I currently had to beat to progress in the story. His gym trainers were fairly easy to deal with for my Heracross, and after a couple of resets I had a strategy for Pryce too.

Guard Spec x1, X Attack x3, heal up and then sweep his team with Brick Break on my Heracross. Icy Wind’s speed deduction absolutely crippled me without using Guard Spec, but with it, the fight was incredibly easy.

Then I headed to Olivine for what I knew was going to be a fairly difficult gym. I of course had to give Jasmine the medicine first, which I picked up whilst in Cianwood, but after that it was time to face her.

This was tough. Setting up on her wasn’t possible as Thunderbolt did too much damage to Heracross who was the only Pokemon who could deal with her. At this point, I was severely underleveled, despite fighting all of the trainers available to me up to this point with the exception of skipping Mt. Mortar. Brick Break did one shot both Magnemites without any set up, but the issue was her Steelix, which also did a lot of damage not allowing for set up but took little damage in return. In the end, I just ended up juggling between Pokemon, reviving and healing Heracross and slowly whittling it down. It really was the only way I could deal with her without grinding.

TEAM SO FAR

Wincy (Ariados) ♂ Lv 28
            Nature: Lonely
            Ability: Swarm
            Moves:
            -Dig
            -Sucker Punch
            -Night Shade
            -Shadow Sneak

Lady B. (Ledian) ♀ Lv 29
            Nature: Modest
            -Mach Punch
            -Roost
            -Headbutt
            -Silver Wind

Joan (Heracross) ♀ Lv 30
            Nature: Naughty
            Moves:
            -Headbutt
            -Shadow Claw
            -Brick Break
            -Aerial Ace

Bugsy (Scyther) ♂ Lv 28
            Nature: Relaxed
            Ability: Technician
            Moves:
            -U-turn
            -Wing Attack
            -Pursuit
            -False Swipe

Woodie (Pineco) ♂ Lv 28 (Please evolve soon)
            Nature: Calm
            Ability: Sturdy
            Moves:
            -Take Down
            -Protect
            -Selfdestruct
            -Bug Bite

Shuckie (Shuckle) ♂ Lv 29
            Ability: Gluttony
            Moves:
            -Wrap
            -Bide
            -Encore
            -Safeguard

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Badge 8/8

Spoiler:
            After I’d received the first 7 badges, it was now time to do the Team Rocket Radio Tower Takeover section, which is by far the worst part of an otherwise amazing game, mainly because it just seems to go on forever. This was fairly uneventful and not too difficult, other than my Scyther hitting level 30, so I traded him with my SoulSilver game to evolve him to a Scizor, and Pineco evolving into Forretress. The only part worth talking is the final battle against Archer, because even the rival wasn’t particularly noteworthy.

This should’ve been a lot more difficult than it was, as I was severely underlevelled vs him and he has a Houndoom. But it wasn’t. Because it used 2 Fire Fangs on my Shuckle whilst it used Bide, which Shuckle could tank with no problem, and was one shot with Bide’s double damage in return. This made me realise Shuckle was going to become the Shedinja of this playthrough – as in barely ever useful but when it is, it does something absolutely miraculous.

After I was done with this part of the game, I headed back to Mahogany and fought all of the trainers on Route 44 and Route 45, making my way through Ice Path and to Blackthorne in the meantime. Even after fighting these trainers, I was severely underleveled, so I went and grinded on Tentacool and Tentacruel next to Cianwood City as they were the easiest to deal with relative to how much experience they gave. After a good 3 or so hours of grinding, I felt apt in dealing with Clair.

I put Scizor in front of my party as it was the highest level Pokemon I had at the time. Clair’s first Pokemon was a Gyarados, who has Intimidate, so I immediately switched to Ariados to reset this stat loss, used Night Shade on Gyarados once and then fainted. I switched back into Scizor and set up 2x X Speed and 3x X Attack, healing every couple of turns in the process. I may have over done the X items a little, but I wanted to be safe. With the X items, Clair was a very easy sweep, using Wing Attack on Gyarados and X Scissor on the rest of her mons.

Of course, Clair doesn’t give you the badge right after you beat her, so I had to do the Dragon’s Den dungeon which is fairly unnoteworthy.

TEAM SO FAR

Wincy (Ariados) ♂ Lv 38
            Nature: Lonely
            Moves:
            -Dig
            -Sucker Punch
            -Night Shade
            -Shadow Sneak

Lady B. (Ledian) ♀ Lv 39
            -Mach Punch
            -Roost
            -Headbutt
            -Silver Wind

Joan (Heracross) ♀ Lv 38
            Nature: Naughty
            Moves:
            -Headbutt
            -Shadow Claw
            -Close Combat
            -Aerial Ace

Bugsy (Scyther) ♂ Lv 42
            Ability: Technician
            Moves:
            -X Scissor
            -Wing Attack
            -Pursuit
            -Slash

Woodie (Forretress) ♂ Lv 35
            Nature: Calm
            Ability: Sturdy
            Moves:
            -Take Down
            -Mirror Shot
            -Selfdestruct
            -Bug Bite

Shuckie (Shuckle) ♂ Lv 34
            Ability: Gluttony
            Moves:
            -Wrap
            -Bide
            -Encore
            -Safeguard

HeartGold Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Victory Road + Elite 4 (Final NECESSARY Part)

Spoiler:
            Before setting off for Victory Road, I checked potential TMs I could pick up, and TMs I already had, which made me realise there was no point in wasting my time looking for them as my Pokemon’s TM compatibility for the most part was terrible, and the TMs I could learn were in Kanto.

I also soon realised my Krabby couldn’t learn Waterfall, so I caught a Tentacool and taught Strength to my Heracross.

I then realised that the game forces you to do Bell Tower. The Kimono girls weren’t a problem, but Ho-oh itself took a couple of attempts. It was mostly beaten using Shuckle’s Bide once again.

There was little to talk about in the journey up to Victory Road until fighting Silver again. First time, I forgot to save in front of him, died and had to trek all the way back. The second time, I decided to equip the Occa Berry to Heracross so I could use Earthquake against his Typhlosion. It was almost a one shot, so I sent in Ariados to finish it off with Shadow Sneak. The rest of his team was not especially noteworthy, however.

My DS battery grew low and it was time to charge, so it was now time to strategise what I was going to against Lance and take a break for a few hours.

So I went back to playing. I grinded all of my mons to at least level 40, and gave my two rare candies to Scizor making it 45. I bought a lot of X items and healing items before entering the Elite Four, and I definitely overdid the healing items and should’ve concentrated on more X items.

Will was very easy. I set up X Attack x3 and X Speed x2, and his team was swept with X Scissor on my Scizor.

Koga, I didn’t bother setting X items up with, except one X Attack I used on my Heracross to turn his Forretress into a 2 shot with Close Combat. I exploded on Crobat as I had no other way to deal with it. Other than that, his team wasn’t very tough.

Again, on Bruno I set up X Attack x3 and X Speed x2 on my Scizor, and he was a sweep using Wing Attack on his fighting types and X Scizor on his Onix.

Karen, I set up with Heracross instead. This time X Attack x3 and X Speed x3 so I’d outspeed the Houndoom. I used Close Combat on her Umbreon and Houndoom, Strength on her Murkrow and Vileplume and Shadow Claw on her Gengar.

Lance took a lot of thinking about. Eventually, I used 5x X Defend, 6x X Attacks and 3x X Speeds, praying for Gyarados to not crit me, healing in between every so often. This made his Gyarados, and my main concern, his Charizard, both one shots. His first Dragonite wouldn’t even go down in one shot with 6 X Attack boosts, though, and it had Fire Blast. I ended up sending out Forretress who it luckily missed Fire Blast on and I exploded in its face. I then set up 3 more X Attacks on Scizor before sweeping the rest of his team. Aerodactyl took a few hits, but following that, Lance was fairly easy to deal with. Much less of a problem than Rival in LeafGreen and Steven, either way.

Instead of writing a summary for my final team here, I’ll post the photographs I took. I plan to go back and do the second half of the game, but since the Win Condition for now is only to get past Lance, I will put this on hold until I’m done with the rest of the challenge and start Pokemon Black instead. HeartGold was the easiest so far due to access to good Pokemon throughout. It was a little grindy, but at the moment, as far as I'm concerned, the real game hasn't begun yet, and what's more important is how the Pokemon survive through Kanto. But to analyse what I did do, Scizor/Scyther was the best of the bunch, but Heracross was also undoubtedly very good, and they were definitely the two carries of this team. I personally felt Ledian to be a bit lacking after a while, and although it was fairly useful during the mid game, Ariados' movepool left much to be desired by the end game. Shuckle was super niche and Forretress was fairly middle of the road with some niche helpful uses like exploding too.

All these images are different sizes and I apologise for that

Scizor:

Heracross:

Ariados:

Ledian:

Forretress:

Shuckle:

HeartGold Bug Monotype FIN....?
            (Kanto to be done after I've finished the rest of the ultimate challenge)
              #106   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:21 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by adzpower.

Heart Gold Gyms 1, 2 & 3

Spoiler:

I apologize in advance for the dodgy photos, unlike Omega Ruby after beating trainers on Heart Gold you have literally seconds to take a decent pic before the battle ends by itself.

Trainer Blossom has reached Johto! Eager to continue her research and acquisition of as many grass types as possible, she reaches New Bark Town and picks Chikorita as her Johto starter, the naming theme for this region is famous forests, we call him Sequoia after the Sequoia national forest in California.

We head up to Violet City after beating our new rival, Tye, he’s not as nice as Brendan, it’ll take some getting used to.
              We head to route 32 just below Violet to catch our new two team members, Amazon the Bellsprout and Monteverde the Hoppip, Amazon of course being names after the famous Amazon rainforest in South America, and Monteverde being named after the reserve in Costa Rica. After grinding for a while on Mareep’s and clearing the Sprout Tower, we head onto the Violet gym to take on Faulkner, luckily he was not as difficult as I thought he’d be, we spammed poison powder and then it went downhill for him from there.
              Spoiler:

We then headed down to the Union cave, full of ground types so perfect for training, we take on Team Rocket at the well and then we get to Bugsy, I have no shame at all in admitting that his stupid Scyther with U-turn creamed us…..18 times. 19 times the charm my friends! We then bump into Tye and beat him, I was worried about his Quilava but for some reason he kept spamming quick attack like a noob. So no fire attacks.
              Spoiler:

After that nightmare we head up to the Ilex Forest where we catch our next member, Daintree the Oddish, named after the Daintree rainforest in Australia, it was easy to get her some levels back at the Union cave, we then cleared the forest and headed to Goldenrod City, we took on all the surrounding trainers and then took on Whitney, shockingly she was much easier after Bugsy, I think this may be the only time I ever say that Whitney was an easy opponent!
              Spoiler:

And that’s where we called it a day, my team is as follows:

Sequoia the Bayleef, Male, Naughty, Lv 23

Amazon the Weepinbell, Female, Bashful, Lv 22

Monteverde the Skiploom, Female, Quirky, Lv 21

Daintree the Oddish, Female, Hasty, Lv 17

Heart Gold Gym 4/Training

Spoiler:

So despite not earning many badges today we actually did a ton, after beating Whitney we battled the trainers up to Ecruteak, during this Daintree evolved into Gloom. We then went into Ecruteak proper and used headbutt on trees until we found our newest team member, Sherwood the Exeggcute!

We then headed to route 37, just below the city and trained our butts off on wild Stantler, who give a good amount of EXP at this point in the game, after everyone gaining 3-4 levels Daintree evolved into Gloom during this.
              We head into the tower and beat Tye, he was a little tricky with his Zubat and Quilava but we got there in the end. We then freed the Legendary Cats (don’t you tell me they’re dogs, they are clearly based off of a lion, a cheetah and a tiger).
              We battled out way to Olivine, grabbed the good rod and headed back to Ecruteak, we caught a Poliwag in the pond here to use as our water HM slave, surf etc. Which we then went and got from the Kimono dance studio.

I was concerned about Morty because all of his Pokemon are part poison, however I picked up the Light Screen TM from Goldenrod and taught it to Sequoia, we totally walled his Shadow Balls and we ended up beating him a lot more easily than we beat Bugsy, I guess even though he is effectively a poison trainer none of his Pokemon knew any poison moves, Johto has some very strange gym choices, I always wondered why a lot of the gym leaders don’t even use Johto Pokemon (Faulkner, Bugsy, Morty, Chuck). Anyways, after beating Morty Monteverde evolved into Jumpluff.
              Spoiler:

We then had a few options, but seeing that I could probably use more training before we faced Chuck and Jasmine, we went to Mahogany Town to clear the Lake of Rage and take out the rocket base, this was extremely tedious, as Sherwood still hadn’t learnt confusion, with all the Zubat’s and Grimer’s it was very slow going, but about half way through Sherwood finally learnt Confusion and my word what a difference, we started blasting through the grunts like no tomorrow. I also forgot that Sequoia would evolve so early, we just hit Lv 32 as I was about to turn off.

After that we headed back to Olivine to climb the lighthouse and retrieve our mission from Jasmine, and tomorrow we set sail for Cianwood!

Current team:

Sequoia the Meganium, Male, Lv 32

Monteverde the Jumpluff, Female, Lv 31

Amazon the Weepinbell, Female, Lv 30

Daintree the Gloom, Female, Lv 30

Sherwood the Exeggcute, Female, Lv 29

Heart Gold Gyms 5, 6, 7, 8

Spoiler:

So we’ve done a ton since last time, we sailed to Cianwood, and Chuck was actually extremely easy? I one shot his Primeape somehow and Poliwrath is water so that didn’t go too well for him.
              Spoiler:

We picked up the secret potion and went back to Olivine, we healed Amphy the lighthouse Pokemon up and challenged Jasmine, she wasn’t as tricky as I thought she’d be, once I Leech Seeded all her Pokemon it was just a case of whittling them down with my special attacks.
              Spoiler:

We then travelled back to Mahogony and took Pryce out, very easy, all his Pokemon were either part water or part ground, so they went down quickly.
              Spoiler:

I should mention that I’m always training between going to each area, I am very aware of Johto’s levelling issues, so I’m trying to keep them as high as I possibly can on levels.

We have to then do the most tedious part of the game imo which is the Goldenrod Team Rocket episode, all they use is poison types, so as a grass trainer, this was kind of a nightmare, it felt like it went on forever, but we got there in the end, no-one was particularly challenging, it went well.

We then get to route 44 and get hunting for our next team member! We found him after a few tries, Paradiso the Tangela! His Ancient Power is going to be essential in battling Lance later on, hoping it pays off, but he’s quite a lot lower levelled, so I’m planning on giving him a classic 80’s training montage after beating Clair, we call him Paradiso after the Gran Paradiso reserve in Italy.

We get through Ice Path easily enough, its pretty good training actually with all the wild Golbat, we then make it out and immediately train on the trainers down below on route 45, every little helps at this point, we then get into the gym and face Clair, it took some time to whittle her down because of her annoying Dragonair’s, lots of seeding and healing and we eventually win, she then runs off after having her temper tantrum and we go after her to get our badge, and that’s where we stopped for now.
              Spoiler:

I'll do a proper team update once everyone is trained up and ready for the League.

Heart Gold Training & Pokemon League

Spoiler:

So after earning my final badge we had to go and do that pointless, tedious portion of the game where you have to climb the tower and face Ho-oh, this feels really shoe-horned in and I wish it was post-game, really breaks the flow of the game up.

Then we go east of New Bark Town and fight the trainers leading up to Victory Road before coming to a stop, my Pokemon needed training a lot, especially Paradiso who was still new to the team. Insert 80’s training montage here please.

We did a lot of grinding, A LOT of grinding, to the point where my team now looked like this before going into the League.
              Spoiler:

Before that we had to face Tye one last time, his Typhlosion was tough, but I had taught Sequoia Earthquake so we took him out eventually.

Now for the elite four! Will was pretty easy, I don’t need to say much about him really. Koga was someone I was afraid of because poison, but aside from Forretress I one-shot everything with Sherwood’s Psychic attack, it destroyed him.
              Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Bruno was also very easy, I had a psychic and a flying type, not much else I need to say where that’s concerned.
              Spoiler:

Now onto Karen, who like Koga, I was scared of, but she was actually very easy.
              Spoiler:

Now to the battle I had been dreading the entire game, Lance, who is essentially a flying type trainer disguised as a dragon tamer, is my worst nightmare with a team full of grass types. I have never stalled and healed so much in a battle! Not so surprisingly his Charizard was the hardest to knock out, his Air Slash was lethal. But eventually we beat it thanks to my MVP, Monteverde the Jumpluff came through all battle! If it wasn’t for her speed at using Leech Seed I wouldn’t have won, pure and simple, I knew the Dragonite’s could heal status with their ability, I needed to get in quick with a seeding to make things easier, and it worked, thank you Monteverde! I will never underestimate Jumpluff again.
              Spoiler:

Champion pose!
              Spoiler:

Next up Blossom will be heading for Kalos in search of more grass types!
                #107   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:08 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
              Youngster

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype - Introduction/Analysis

Spoiler:
                Again, as Black has a lot of options for Pokemon to use, I’m going to analyse these. Unlike Ruby, it’s also worth considering at what point in the game they come at and at what level they evolve, because for several of these you get them fairly late or they evolve very late.

Leavanny has decent all around stats with a pretty sizeable attack and speed stat. Whilst its type combination leaves it with a lot of weaknesses, Grass is a pretty good STAB to have, especially with a Pokemon like Seismitoad being in this game. It has access to Razor Leaf and Bug Bite as soon as you get it, and learns some pretty strong moves by levelling up such as X Scissor and Leaf Blade. It gets access to some pretty good moves through TM too, such as Poison Jab, Aerial Ace and Shadow Claw. You get it early on and Sewaddle evolves to Swadloon pretty early too, at level 20. Its biggest downfalls are that neither of its abilities are particularly good, with Swarm being the better of the two for what we’re doing, and it evolves through Friendship for its final evolution.

Scolipede is very fast and has decent attack and defense. It can learn Earthquake, X Scissor, Poison Jab and Rock Slide via TM. Rock Slide in particular will be very useful given its Speed, giving the upper hand over Flying types which have tended to wall me in these bug monotype playthroughs. Its level up movepool is pretty lackluster however, especially early on. Having Poison Point makes it a decent user of Venoshock despite it not really being special oriented, so there’s rarely a reason to take Swarm on it. You get it early on and it evolves early, reaching its final form at level 30. There’s no real downsides to using it, except for its poor early game movepool.

Crustle is slow but bulky and has a fairly strong attack stat. It has a fairly good type with few weaknesses, which, much like Armaldo in Ruby, covers a lot of ground for other Pokemon on the team. Both of its abilities are pretty good, albeit I think Shell Armor is the better of the two. It evolves at a fairly standard level, and its level up movepool varies from decent to very good, although it does take quite a number of levels to get going on that front. It doesn’t have much TM capacity beyond what Scolipede and Leavanny have, except for its access to STAB Stone Edge and Rock Slide.

Escavalier has insane attack and defenses, but is one of the slowest Pokemon in the game. Its typing of Bug/Steel is really strong albeit fairly common at this point. I personally won’t be able to evolve this until I pick up Shelmet as well, so it does evolve after the mid-point of the game. It has a very poor level up movepool until it gets into the 30s, and it doesn’t have a particularly great movepool via TM either, learning very few helpful moves. As I said with Crustle, I personally think Shell Armor is the better of its two abilities.

Accelgor is one of the fastest Pokemon in the game with a strong special attack stat. Its defenses are awful, so it’s the epitome of a glass cannon. I don’t think either of its abilities are particularly useful for single-player, so it doesn’t really matter which one you pick up. You can evolve it as soon as you get it, albeit you get it fairly late in the game. It doesn’t learn much through level up, but what it does is fairly strong, gaining Giga Drain at 37 and Bug Buzz pretty late at 44. Through TM it learns Sludge Bomb and Energy Ball, but not much else worthy of note. Its lack of a dual typing makes it generally not as interesting as a lot of the other Pokemon you can run into, however.

Galvantula is fast with a strong Special Attack stat. It has a unique typing and evolves at the fairly average level of 36. It learns Signal Beam through level up, but nothing else particularly noteworthy, and STAB Thunderbolt and Energy Ball through TM, as well as having CompoundEyes meaning it can hit Thunder with 91% accuracy. Its other ability Unnerve is never worth taking over it, in my opinion.

Durant is fast with strong attack and defense. Unfortunately, whilst Hustle is a much better ability than Shell Armor, it has little to offer in terms of moves that Escavalier doesn’t, or that other Pokemon couldn’t do better whom are available earlier on, since you get Durant way too late and at way too low of a level for it to be useful, in my opinion. That being said, I don’t think it’s a bad Pokemon by any means, and I’d have definitely put more consideration into taking it if you got it earlier.

You can’t really talk about Volcarona without talking about Larvesta. The reason I say that, is it’s going to be Larvesta for the vast majority, if not the entire, game. Larvesta has nothing of note except for its attack and fire typing. It only learns moves every 10 levels and there’s barely any fire type moves that make use of its good attack. Once it evolves, it’s an entirely different story, as it becomes a powerful special sweeper with sizeable special defense, but you’re not going to see that side of it until the end of the game, if at all, and Larvesta is absolutely pitiful to carry around until that point, especially for something you’d be raising from level 1 as you find it in an egg. I really wanted to use this mon, but I cannot justify it.

Now that that’s out of the way, before continuing, I’d like to point out that you can’t actually get a bug type Pokemon until after the second gym in this game, oddly enough, so I needed to trade one in early. I decided it would make more sense to go with the one most like a starter, as trading in a low level Durant just seemed unfair. So I decided to go with Venipede, in that it’s a 3 stage evolution Pokemon that evolves fairly early through level-up.

I’m also going to choose the Water type starter in this game instead of the Grass type, and my reasoning is that Bianca will get the fire starter anyway, and it makes the early game more tolerable. Given I have to trade my first bug type, a bug over the level of 10 isn’t going to obey me until I beat the first gym, so I’d rather make the first gym as easy to get through as possible because of that. If I didn’t have to trade a bug to progress, I would’ve just chosen the fire type starter.

In the end, I decided to take:

-Scolipede (Trade)
                -Levanny (Pinwheel Forest)
                -Crustle (Desert Resort)
                -Escavalier (Route 6)
                -Accelgor (Icirrus City)
                -Galvantula (Chargestone Cave)

To get Shelmet, I need to make sure I start in a season that is not winter. This is because Shelmet is NOT available in winter. Luckily, my DS time is set to 3rd of February, and February is considered a summer month, so this is no problem. I want to make sure my DS is at a stable date where I don’t have to change the time, as I will be playing Platinum at the same time, and if I mess with my system clock, it’ll mess with my honey trees. I’ll talk more about my plans for Platinum in my post about Platinum however, which should be coming fairly soon.

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Badges 1 & 2

Spoiler:
                I’m going to flat out say it now – this game had the most difficult early game so far. Yes, harder than Roxanne, and yes, harder than Brock.

Early game went how you expected. I chose Oshawott as my starter and only raised it up until Level 15 where I tackled the first gym. Before fighting the gym, I picked up both a Lillipup and a Patrat, as well as the elemental monkey. I wasn’t aware that I wouldn’t be able to trade until after I’d beaten Cilan, which made fighting him with Oshawott one of the hardest things ever, and it was only by a sheer lucky crit and equipping a berry that I beat him, after many many resets. If I ever decide to do a Water/Grass/Fire monotype, or a monotype for a type not available before the first gym again, I’ll be doing Black/White 2 and not the first game, case in point.

After I was done with the first gym, and had done Fennel’s little quest, I traded the Lillipup I caught for a Venipede from my Black 2 game. I boxed everything else but Patrat as it was my cut user.

I levelled up Venipede on the surrounding trainers, and it was fairly capable despite only being level 10 upon trade. Its level quickly got in line with how Oshawott’s was. Upon fighting Lenora’s gym trainers, I noticed an issue, however… Venipede was going to get beyond level 20 before I fought Lenora, meaning it wouldn’t obey me. I figured out a rather awkward solution to this. I grinded on all the trainers in the surrounding area until I not only evolved to Whirlipede, but was level 24, and then bought a lot of Super Potions.

My solution was to wait for Lenora to poison herself on my Poison Point, slowly killing herself with that and Take Down, healing myself and praying to hit Poison Tail all the while. And after probably around 10 attempts, I finally had the successful fight. By the way, Whirlipede is called Pls because he legitimately took nearly 20 Ultra Balls to catch from full health in Black 2.

Now that I’ve stuck out the initial road block, the rest of the playthrough should theoretically be much easier.

TEAM SO FAR

Pls (Whirlipede) ♀ Lv 25
                Ability: Poison Point
                Moves:
                -Bug Bite
                -Rollout
                -Poison Tail
                -Screech

Patrat (HM Slave) ♂ Lv 2
                Nature: Serious
                Ability: Keen Eye
                Moves:
                -Tackle
                -Cut

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 2 – Badge 3/8

Spoiler:
                After beating Lenora, I headed to Pinwheel forest to catch a Sewaddle. I preferably wanted one with Swarm over Chlorophyll, but I caught 4 and they all had Chlorophyll, and wasn’t bothered enough to keep searching, so I kept the one with the highest attack stat. I put that Sewaddle out front and boxed the others. I fought all the trainers in Pinwheel Forest which wasn’t particularly challenging, and Sewaddle evolved to Swadloon.

I made my way to Castelia and tried to fight all the trainers and pick up all the items I could before entering the gym. I gained a few levels, as well as a few useful items such as the Eviolite, Exp Share and Amulet Coin during this part. I also gave a massage to my Swadloon. I saved and quit for the night following this as it was getting late.

The next day, I loaded up the game and gave Swadloon another massage, and then went through the rather unremarkable Team Plasma encounter before fighting Burgh. Burgh was a total pushover, with all of his Pokemon being one shot by Rollout on my Whirlipede.

TEAM SO FAR

Pls (Whirlipede) ♀ Lv 28
                Item: Eviolite
                Moves:
                -Bug Bite
                -Rollout
                -Poison Tail
                -Screech

Buggyboi (Swadloon) ♂ Lv 26
                Item: Amulet Coin
                Ability: Chlorophyll
                Moves:
                -Tackle
                -String Shot
                -Bug Bite
                -Razor Leaf

Patrat (HM Slave) ♂ Lv 2
                Ability: Keen Eye
                Moves:
                -Tackle
                -Cut

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 3 – Badge 4/8

Spoiler:
                Next it was time to go to Desert Resort to pick up Dwebble. I avoided as many trainers as possible on the way there, except for of course having to fight Bianca and Cheren, neither of whom were an issue at all. Due to carrying around only two Pokemon, I’ve had the opposite issue (not that it really is an issue) to what I’ve had in the previous games so far in that I’m fairly overleveled by comparison to the trainers around me.

The Dwebble I picked up had Sturdy, and it seemed to take ages to find another, so I stuck with it, and then fought all of the trainers in the surrounding area to raise it up. Upon entering Nimbasa City, I picked up the Soothe Bell one of the women in the town gives you and equipped it to Swadloon. I then fought all the trainers available to me in Nimbasa City, including N and the gym trainers, and the routes to the east and west. During this, Swadloon evolved into Leavanny, one of my favourite bug types, and Whirlipede evolved into Scolipede.

I’d like to add that I’m really glad Vending Machines are literally everywhere in this generation because it saves me a lot on healing items. That teamed up with Amulet Coin means I’m pretty stinking rich already.

Anyway, it was time to face Elesa. I basically swept her team with Dwebble’s Rock Slide and there’s little more to add. I’m not expecting many of the gym battles to be difficult in this game following the first two because the bugs in this game are actually good and diverse.

Oh, I also boxed Patrat, since I don’t really need it anymore.

TEAM SO FAR

Pls (Whirlipede) ♀ Lv 31
                Moves:
                -Bug Bite
                -Rollout
                -Poison Tail
                -Screech

Buggyboi (Leavanny) ♂ Lv 31
                Item: Miracle Seed
                Moves:
                -Tackle
                -String Shot
                -Bug Bite
                -Razor Leaf

BabbyCrab (Dwebble) ♀ Lv32
                Nature: Timid
                Ability: Study
                Moves:
                -Stealth Rock
                -Slash
                -Rock Slide
                -Bug Bite

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 4 – Badge 5/8

Spoiler:
                Now that Elesa was beaten and the drawbridge was lowered, it was time to move on to Driftveil City. The first thing I did was catch Karrablast. I caught two in total, and both had Swarm but again, I wasn’t too bothered about the ability (the only mon I do really want the preferred ability on is Galvantula) and I took the one with the neutral nature.

I equipped it with the Exp. Share and fought all the trainers in the surrounding area to level it up, including Cold Storage. Nothing was particularly difficult. Before facing Clay I picked up a dozen MooMoo Milk from the market and 10 revives.

Clay himself was tougher than I expected. His Krokorok and Palpitoad were no match at all for my Leavanny, but I had nothing particularly useful against his Excadrill I used a mixture of Dwebble and Leavanny and had to whittle him down fairly slowly, which sucked given he does a lot of damage. He wasn’t as awful as some of the leaders in other games, but wasn’t super easy either.

TEAM SO FAR

Pls (Whirlipede) ♀ Lv 32
                Moves:
                -Bug Bite
                -Rollout
                -Poison Tail
                -Screech

Buggyboi (Leavanny) ♂ Lv 33
                Moves:
                -Tackle
                -String Shot
                -Bug Bite
                -Razor Leaf

BabbyCrab (Dwebble) ♀ Lv33
                Moves:
                -Stealth Rock
                -Slash
                -Rock Slide
                -Bug Bite

MetaKnight (Karrablast) ♂ Lv 32
                Item: None
                Moves:
                -Endure
                -Fury Cutter
                -Slash
                -Headbutt

#108   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:34 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Ash.
                from pallet town

Nature: Gentle
                Water Monotype Challenge - Second Update
                Heart Gold | Marko

Whoo, a lot has happened since the last time we updated! First off the battle against Whitney that went .... well she was a pain. We managed to defeat her with a mix of all three Pokemon but christ her Stomp attack and the fact that she always seems to get off a flinch is downright dirty tbh. After the defeat of Whitney the game went a lot more smoothly.

We made our way up to Ecruteak City where we easily took down our rival Polo (Chimi took care of his Gastly and Zubat, Burrito his Magnemite, and a swift Ice Fang from Tortilla took down his Bayleef). Then we went to Olivine City to ... try to get one of our members but was stopped by some dude. Anyways we at least picked up the Good Rod we'll be needing for two of our members. I wouldn't grabbed one of the other ones except I didn't realize they were on a route that I already had access to until after I defeated Morty. Which by the way was incredibly easy between Chimi's Confusion and Tortilla's Bite.

Before I continue let me just warn you that I went all over the place for no particular reason other than being disorganized. Oops. Anyways. Our first new member of our team after we defeated Morty was Chalupa the Chinchou! Once she was acquired we backtracked to Route 32 to fish up our next member! Eventually entered Enchilada the Qwilfish! Once we obtained Enchilada we only had one more Team member to acquire then we had our full team.

That way, we made our back to Olivine City and onto Route 41 where we surfed for a bit. The Tentacool, Tentacruels, and trainers made for some nice experience and eventually Tortilla evolved into a Feraligatr! Soon after we encountered and caught our last team member Taco the Mantine. After we got everyone we made our way back to Olivine City to go up the lighthouse, get our mission, and then set sail, one more, for Cianwood. During our trek there Chalupa evolved into a Lanturn!

Chuck was honestly a little harder than I expected. I should have grinded a bit more before taking him on. Used Toxic Spikes during Primeape with Enchilada so the fight against Poliwrath was a mix of stalling and then finishing it off with a Spark from Chalupa. Then we trekked back to Olivine with a quick surf (it's honestly not a far surf and experience was always needed. That and I didn't pick up a Bird slave for Fly) so we can deliver the medicine to Jasmine. Except I forgot the medicine so then I had to make another round trip. Oops. But mission was (eventually) completed and off we went to fight Jasmine! She was honestly a lot easier than Chuck between Chalupa's Volt Absorb and Surf and Taco's Surf for Steelix.

With that all said and done we backtracked to Ecruteak and now we're standing in front of Mt. Mortar ready to continue! Already I can tell I'm slowly getting "underleveled" just like in every playthrough of mine in Johto, but I don't believe it should be an issue. If anything I'll just grind until I'm tired like always and then just slam my way through everything after. Guess we'll find out!

Tortilla (Feraligatr) ♂
                Naughty | Torrent | Level 31
                Ice Fang, Crunch, Water Gun, Rage

Burrito (Quagsire) ♀
                Hardy | Water Absorb | Level 28 @ Quick Claw
                Water Gun, Headbutt, Slam, Mud Bomb

Chimi (Slowpoke) ♂
                Bashful | Own Tempo | Level 30
                Curse, Headbutt, Confusion, Water Pulse

Chalupa (Lanturn) ♀
                Bashful | Volt Absorb | Level 29
                Stockpile, Surf, Confuse Ray, Spark

Enchilada (Qwilfish) ♂
                Quirky | Poison Point | Level 24
                Harden, Toxic Spikes, Water Gun, Rollout

Taco (Mantine) ♀
                Docile | Water Absorb | Level 24 @ Sharp Beak
                Surf, BubbleBeam, Headbutt, Wing Attack

HM Slaves
                  #109   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:02 AM).
                Youngster

Platinum Bug Monotype – Introduction

Spoiler:
                  Platinum is going to be a… weird one to say the least, and will likely stretch on from now until the end of the monotype challenge, purely because of how it works.

I’m forced to start with Kricketot regardless as it’s the first Bug you encounter and the only one you find for quite a while.

Beyond that, I’m going to once again try to stick to Pokemon that were introduced in the region I’m playing. These Pokemon are Wormadam, Mothim, Vespiquen and Yanmega.

But here’s the problem we face: 3 of those 4 Pokemon are available only in honey trees, a mechanic exclusive to then gen 4 games, and I have to wait at the very least 6 hours between slathering honey and encountering the Pokemon. I can’t mess with my system clock to speed this process up, so it will be a slow one at first, given you only have access to two honey trees early on. Once I have access to more honey trees and fly, the process should speed up though.

I want to specifically talk about Burmy and Combee, however.

For this playthrough, I ideally want 4 Burmy. Which will take a long time to obtain. I may come back and get them throughout the playthrough as I likely won’t even have enough money as soon as I have access to honey to do this, but the reason I want 4 is because I obviously need a male one to get Mothim, but I would like to try using the 3 different types of Wormadam. I have no idea how difficult obtaining all 3 will be, but I’d like to try using them as honestly, I don’t think I will get another opportunity to try all of Wormadams forms. They all have different stat distributions, different types and learn different moves through level up after evolution, so I’m treating them as if they are 3 different Pokemon.

I’d also like a Combee to evolve into Vespiquen, but it has to be female. This will take a lot of resetting and will be very time consuming. Luckily, gender isn’t locked upon honey encounter, only species, which makes resetting for a female Combee not as bad as it could potentially be.

Now you might be thinking, “hey, but Kricketune, Mothim, Vespiquen, Wormadam x3 and Yanmega makes 7 Pokemon. Aren’t you supposed to be running 6?” to which I say, yes, because I’m going to be dumping Kricketune as early as possible because it’s terrible in the long run. Mothim isn’t much better, with that said, and I may decide to run Kricketune over it in the end as at least Kricketune will have experience and some EVs by the time I get access to Mothim.

If you notice, most of these Pokemon aren’t particularly good. If I do find myself genuinely struggling, I will switch to Scyther or Heracross, but I’d like to avoid this as I used them in HeartGold.

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Badge 1/8

Spoiler:
                  I’m going to say this right now. I severely underestimated Kricketune’s potential.

I played the beginning of the game as normal, once again naming myself Beetlia and my rival Buggly. I however chose Piplup as I was expecting the rival to be really difficult if I was to choose Turtwig, given the only Pokemon I was to have access to for quite a while would be Kricketot. I actually intended to pick Chimchar to give him the neutral type against me, but I clicked the wrong starter and it wasn’t important enough for a reset in my opinion, as he will be picking up other Pokemon I’m weak against.

As soon as I had access to catching Pokemon, I caught a Bidoof, and of course, Kricketot, which with the help of a few Potions, I grinded to level 7 on wild Pokemon before I felt comfortable fighting the trainers. I temporarily boxed Bidoof, and permanently boxed Piplup (unless I decide to use it for Surf later, that is, but I'll likely catch Bibarel). Bide actually wasn’t as terrible as I was expecting it to be, and I genuinely didn’t have much trouble fighting all of the trainers accessible to me at that time. I made sure to be at least level 10 and evolved before fighting Buggly, however.

I actually ended up being level 12 for Buggly. I didn’t keep it as Kricketot for access to Bug Bite, as I felt the increase in power was more important than that move. If Kricketune wasn’t my only Pokemon, I’d have considered it, though. I dealt with his Starly using Bide, and his Turtwig using Fury Cutter. I fought all the trainers leading up to Roark, again, with surprisingly little issue, mostly using Fury Cutter, or Bide where I felt it was more applicable.

I’d picked up an X Attack somewhere (I don’t remember where, honestly) and decided to use that in my fight against Roark.

Roark, I expected to be an incredibly difficult fight and it was… really easy. Once I had used the X Attack and had Fury Cutter stacked from his first Geodude, his second Geodude and Cranidos went down in one hit, even with my minus Attack nature. I’m not going to lie, it absolutely blew my mind. It had been the easiest of the first gyms so far, by a total landslide, when I was expecting it to be one of the hardest. I’m never underestimating Kricketune again, I’ll say that much. I named him Territot, because I expected him to be terrible, but when I get the opportunity, I’ll be renaming him Amazitune. Or maybe Terrortot. He definitely deserves a better name, nonetheless.

TEAM SO FAR

Territot (Kricketune) ♂ Level 17
                  Nature: Careful
                  Moves:
                  -Growl
                  -Bide
                  -Fury Cutter
                  -Leech Life

#110   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:15 AM).

Oh yeah, you wouldn't normally use Scyther here, of course. Only using Gen 4 Pokémon is tricky, but should still be a LOT easier than Emerald. Yanmega and Vespiquen are both pretty usable, although they do give you a ton of weaknesses, but Wormadam helps with that.

I knew that Kricketune is not that awful early game, but I didn't expect it to be that good either. By all means keep using it over Mothim ;)
                      #111   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:31 AM).

Kricketune is pretty good actually, decent attack stat and it gets X-scissor and Night Slash by level up.
                        #112   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:48 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
                      Youngster

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 2 – Badge 2/8

Spoiler:
                        Continuing on our journey, I took Bidoof out of the PC and taught it Rock Smash. None of the trainers up until Floaroma Town were particularly difficult, and once I fought the first few Galatic grunts, I had access to honey, so I slathered it on the two trees I currently have access to, and decided to leave the game on hold for 6 hours and play Black in the meantime.

6 hours later, my encounters were a female Burmy and a Heracross. I caught both but don’t plan to use the latter long term, I just thought it was worth picking up in case I do change my mind. I decided to leave the game until tomorrow before playing again, slathering both trees with honey once more and boxing Heracross.

The next day, I checked my honey trees again and I found Combee in one, which I reset to get as a female. It took a few tries but didn't waste a huge amount of time. In the second was a male Burmy. This now meant I had my entire party except for my last two female Burmy, so I decided to continue on with my journey, after slathering the trees in honey again, that is.

I levelled up Combee using the Galactic Grunts, but I knew I wasn’t a position to fight the admin, so I grinded for a bit. After that, I took her Zubat down using Gust on my Combee, and took her Purugly down using a mixture of all of my Pokemon. She was pretty tough honestly.

Now that Route 205 and Eterna Forest were available to me, I used the trainers on those routes to grind up my Pokemon. Once I entered Eterna City, I picked up the Exp. Share and equipped it to my male Burmy. I picked up some healing items and repels, then fought the trainers on route 211 (the Bird Keeper was very challenging) and fought the trainers in Gardenia’s gym.

Gardenia herself was time consuming but pretty easy to deal with, considering I had Gust and Bug Bite on my Combee. I just didn’t hit too hard unfortunately, leaving me needing to heal up every so often, not that Gardenia hit me back harder or anything. A wet noodle fight would be the best way to describe this gym battle.

TEAM SO FAR (yay, the first one where gender actually has significance!)

Territot (Kricketune) ♂ Lv 22
                        Moves:
                        -Growl
                        -Bide
                        -Fury Cutter
                        -Leech Life

Beeyonce (Combee) ♀ Lv 20
                        Nature: Hardy
                        Ability: Honey Gather
                        Moves:
                        -Sweet Scent
                        -Gust
                        -Bug Bite

Wam (Burmy) ♀ Lv 19
                        Nature: Mild
                        Ability: Shed Skin
                        Moves:
                        -Protect
                        -Tackle
                        -Bug Bite

Hunee (Burmy) ♂ Lv 18
                        Moves:
                        -Protect
                        -Tackle
                        -Bug Bite

Bidoof (HM Slave) ♀ Lv 3
                        Ability: Simple
                        Moves:
                        -Tackle
                        -Rock Smash

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 3 – Badge 3/8

Spoiler:
                        First of all, I may have overestimated how long this monotype playthrough would take, as I was completely unaware that as of just after the second gym, you have access to 5 honey trees. I, of course, slathered them all with honey, but only need two more Burmy. Still worth it in case I get bad RNG.

I did the Eterna Galactic Hideout, and all 3 of my unevolved Pokemon evolved in here. Male Burmy into Mothim, Female Burmy into Wormadam Trash Cloak (who from here on out we’ll be calling Wormadam-T) and Combee into Vespiquen.

The Admin, again, whose name escapes me, was decently challenging. Her Zubat was fairly easy as my Vespiquen gained Power Gem upon evolving, but her Skunktank was a little tricky to deal with. I slowly whittled it down with all of my Pokemon though, and the fight was done.

I received an egg from Cynthia which we won’t be using, and fought some trainers on the cycling path, after picking up the bicycle and explorer kit. I found out that Wormadam-T’s Hidden Power is either Ground or Ghost (which I later confirmed to be ground at Fantina's gym) and Mothim’s is either Bug, Fire or Grass. I obviously don’t know the power of them, though.

After that, I headed back for the honey trees and saved, intending to come back later and hopefully pick up my final two Burmy. Luckily, I wouldn’t be waiting around as long this time, since I’d already wasted a surprisingly large amount of time playing the game. It would only be a 3 hour wait, as opposed to the regular 6.

After those 3 hours, I checked my first tree and got… Burmy! A female one too, on my first try. Second tree also had Burmy, but took a couple of resets to find a female one. Now that all time based events are complete for this playthrough, I’ll be concentrating primarily on Black. Once Black is done, I’ll be playing this through until completion.

-A couple of days later-

Now that Black is done, I’m continuing on my Platinum journey. I decided to raise one Burmy up at a time, making their evolutions easier to control. I fought all the trainers up to Hearthome City and used the V.S. Seeker I received from Lucas to refight trainers on the mountainous area to get Sand Cloak Wormadam, who from now on we’ll be referring to as Wormadam-S.

Fantina was difficult. It took a few attempts. In the end, I used Power Gem on Vespiquen to take down her first two Pokemon, then stalled her Mismagius with Wormadam-T.

I also want to point out that all 3 of my Wormadam (or to be Wormadam to be) bizarrely have Mild nature, and that it genuinely isn’t a copy-paste error on my part.

TEAM SO FAR

Territot (Kricketune) ♂ Lv 23
                        Moves:
                        -Growl
                        -Bide
                        -Fury Cutter
                        -Leech Life

Beeyonce (Vespiquen) ♀ Lv 26
                        Nature: Hardy
                        Ability: Pressure
                        Moves:
                        -Heal Order
                        -Gust
                        -Bug Bite
                        -Power Gem

Wam (Wormadam-T) ♀ Lv 22
                        Ability: Anticipation
                        Moves:
                        -Protect
                        -Tackle
                        -Bug Bite
                        -Hidden Power (Ground)

Hunee (Mothim) ♂ Lv 20
                        Moves:
                        -Protect
                        -Tackle
                        -Bug Bite
                        -Hidden Power (Bug/Fire/Grass?)

Bam (Wormadam-S) ♀ Lv 20
                        Ability: Anticipation
                        Moves:
                        -Protect
                        -Tackle
                        -Bug Bite
                        -Hidden Power (?)

Slam (Burmy) ♀ Lv 18
                        Moves:
                        -Protect
                        -Tackle
                        -Bug Bite

#113   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:29 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
                        Youngster

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 5 – Badge 6/8

Spoiler:
                          It was now time to head towards Chargestone Cave where I picked up my Compoundeyes Joltik. I suppose I also fought Bianca but she wasn’t particularly difficult. Chargestone Cave was generally not too bad, but it became apparent at this point that certain types kind of walled me, notably Steel and Ghost. At the moment, this isn’t much of an issue, but may become one later on.

During this cave, Dwebble evolved into Crustle. Battling N wasn’t a problem. I never found the N fights particularly difficult at any point, but this time the only Pokemon to really give me any problem at all was his Klink, because it walled me as stated above.

Once I got to Mistralton City, I caught a Tranquill on route 7 to fly back to Driftveil to pick up many more MooMoo Milk, before fighting all of the trainers in said route. On this route I found the TM for X Scissor, and it made me so glad that you can reuse TMs in every generation following this. I taught it to all of my Pokemon except Joltik, who could learn it but it already had Signal Beam which is better given it’s a special attacker. By the end of this route, Joltik evolved into Galvantula. Now all of my party but Karrablast is fully evolved, and he’ll be able to evolve after Twist Mountain.

I then made my way up Celestial Tower, picking up Shadow Claw, helping me against ghost types, which has I previously stated, kind of wall me. One thing I’m really happy about with Celestial Tower is that you can fly off of the top, so I did just that after ringing the bell.

So, uh, Skyla. Wow. This was the easiest gym I’ve done throughout all the games thus far. I one shot all of her Pokemon without needing X items using Galvantula. She’s also pretty underleveled, being the same level as most of the regular trainers in the area. If this was any other generation, this fight would be very hard, but with the gen 6 mons, it’s a total joke.

TEAM SO FAR

Pls (Whirlipede) ♀ Lv 36
                          Moves:
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Rollout
                          -Poison Tail
                          -Bulldoze

Buggyboi (Leavanny) ♂ Lv 36
                          Moves:
                          -Tackle
                          -Shadow Claw
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Leaf Blade

BabbyCrab (Crustle) ♀ Lv37
                          Item: Rocky Helmet
                          Moves:
                          -Bulldoze
                          -Shadow Claw
                          -Rock Slide
                          -X-Scissor

MetaKnight (Karrablast) ♂ Lv 35
                          Moves:
                          -Endure
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Slash
                          -Headbutt

Incy (Galvantula) ♂ Lv 38
                          Item: Expert Belt
                          Ability: Compoundeyes
                          Moves:
                          -Slash
                          -Volt Switch
                          -Signal Beam
                          -Gastro Acid

Tranquill (Fly Slave) ♀ Lv 26
                          Item: None
                          Nature: Impish
                          Ability: Big Pecks
                          Moves:
                          -Quick Attack
                          -Fly
                          -Roost
                          -Detect

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Badge 7/8

Spoiler:
                          I had to fight Cheren before entering Twist Mountain, but he wasn’t difficult and isn’t really worth talking about. Most of the trainers in Twist Mountain were more difficult, honestly. I learnt via Twist Mountain that I’m also walled by Fighting which admittedly is unusual as you tend to pick up at least one Bug/Flying type on your journey, but not in Unova, so I taught Aerial Ace to a few of my Pokemon. Fighting types are still fairly difficult for them to deal with, however, which worries me for a certain Elite Four member later.

Once I was out of Twist Mountain, I picked up Shelmet, which took a few catches until I found one with an at least acceptable nature. I didn’t care too much either way about the ability, once again.

Spoiler:

It was now time to trade. Of course, I had to trade the Shelmet I just caught to my other game before I could make the trade, so I sent myself back the Lillipup I traded for Venipede at the very start of our journey. I then traded my Karrablast for Shelmet to get their respective evolutions, Escavalier and Accelgor. I had to trade Lillipup back again to get Escavalier back. It was a roundabout way of doing, but it worked. Showing a picture of my rather awkward set up for this. My team was finally complete, with all my mons fully evolved.

As soon as I had Escavalier back, I flew to Mistralton again and used a Heart Scale on the move reminder to teach it Iron Head, before equipping the Exp. Share to Accelgor to level it up faster. I fought all of the trainers around the Icirrus area, including Brycen’s gym. Accelgor soon came in line with the rest of my team, so I removed the Exp. Share.

Brycen himself was once again, so easy it was silly. He wasn’t quite as bad as Skyla, but all of his Pokemon went down in one or two hits from Rock Slide on Crustle.

TEAM SO FAR

Pls (Whirlipede) ♀ Lv 38
                          Moves:
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Rollout
                          -Poison Tail
                          -Bulldoze

Buggyboi (Leavanny) ♂ Lv 38
                          Moves:
                          -Aerial Ace
                          -Shadow Claw
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Leaf Blade

BabbyCrab (Crustle) ♀ Lv 41
                          Moves:
                          -Bulldoze
                          -Shadow Claw
                          -Rock Slide
                          -X-Scissor

MetaKnight (Escavalier) ♂ Lv 35
                          Item: Shell Bell
                          Moves:
                          -Take Down
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Iron Head
                          -Headbutt

Incy (Galvantula) ♂ Lv 38
                          Item: Magnet
                          Moves:
                          -Slash
                          -Volt Switch
                          -Signal Beam
                          -Gastro Acid

Speedster (Accelgor) ♂ Lv 38
                          Nature: Bold
                          Ability: Sticky Hold
                          Moves:
                          -Struggle Bug
                          -Giga Drain
                          -Yawn
                          -Sludge Bomb

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 7 – Badge 8/8

Spoiler:
                          This part was just a lot of dungeons with little to talk about. Dragonspiral Tower and Relic Castle to be exact. I got through them, fought the trainers, didn’t really struggle with anything, and then continued on to Opelucid City. As far as I’m concerned, Relic Castle is just unnecessary forced backtracking, although I do recognise it’s important to the story.

I figured Drayden would be pretty difficult so I grinded all the experience I could, except for refightable daily events such as Nimbasa City, which I could’ve done in theory given I back tracked to Nimbasa anyway. His gym puzzle is also super annoying, especially considering I did it TWICE.

Drayden himself was pretty underwhelming, all in all. He wasn’t easy, but I could just whittle him down with X Scissor on all of my Pokemon due to no Dragon types in this game resisting this move. I ended up using Scolipede, Crustle and Escavalier in this battle. Overall, an anticlimactic final gym battle.

TEAM SO FAR

Pls (Whirlipede) ♀ Lv 43
                          Moves:
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Rollout
                          -Poison Tail
                          -Bulldoze

Buggyboi (Leavanny) ♂ Lv 43
                          Moves:
                          -Aerial Ace
                          -Shadow Claw
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Leaf Blade

BabbyCrab (Crustle) ♀ Lv 43
                          Moves:
                          -Bulldoze
                          -Shadow Claw
                          -Rock Slide
                          -X-Scissor

MetaKnight (Escavalier) ♂ Lv 42
                          Item: Shell Bell
                          Moves:
                          -Take Down
                          -X-Scissor
                          -Iron Head
                          -Aerial Ace

Incy (Galvantula) ♂ Lv 43
                          Item: Magnet
                          Moves:
                          -Slash
                          -Volt Switch
                          -Signal Beam
                          -Gastro Acid

Speedster (Accelgor) ♂ Lv 42
                          Nature: Bold
                          Ability: Sticky Hold
                          Moves:
                          -Struggle Bug
                          -Giga Drain
                          -Yawn
                          -Sludge Bomb

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 8 – Elite Four (not the finale :()

Spoiler:
                          Getting through Victory Road wasn’t much trouble, though I used a lot of repels and healing items. There was nothing particularly worth noting that happened there, other than that the battle with Cheren before it was really easy. Bianca, who I failed to mention last part, was harder, but after all, I did let her have the Fire type starter.

Once I reached the Pokemon League, however, I backtracked to pick up some TMs I wanted to use, including Thunder and Poison Jab. Thunder + Compoundeyes was something I’d praised about Galvantula from the very start, but this was going to be my first opportunity to actually use it.

I fought all of the trainers in the Nimbasa Stadiums, then stocked up on Moo Moo Milk in Driftveil City, now having 50 in my inventory. I picked up 30 of every X item except for Accuracy in Nine Mall too, since at this point I was absolutely loaded. I bought the rest of my healing items through the Pokemon League shop, including 50 Revives, 25 Full Heals and 15 Full Restores.

The first Elite Four member I took on was Shauntal. I used Shell Smash for the first time on Crustle and destroyed all of her Pokemon with Shadow Claw. The only exception was her Golurk, as Jellicent’s ability (Cursed Body, I believe?) disabled my Shadow Claw. I instead left Leavanny to deal with Golurk with its Leaf Blade. Pretty easy first fight.

I was going to use Grimsley as fodder for levelling up my weaker bug types, but he surprisingly wasn’t that easy. His first Pokemon was Scrafty, which was unexpected, but it still went down in two Bug Buzz's from Accelgor. Liepard was obviously a complete joke. But Bisharp, oh boy. I used Bulldoze on it using Scolipede, and oh, do I regret that, because I used it and activated Defiant. The only Pokemon who could really stand a chance against him at that point was my Escavalier, who had to slowly whittle him down with X-Scissor. Then his Krookodile anticlimactically went down in two hits from Leaf Blade.

Caitlyn wasn’t as easy as I expected either. Her Reuniclus went down in two hits from Signal Beam from my Galvantula, but her Sigilyph gave me a super rough time, outspeeding my entire party. I took about half of its health with Crustle’s Rock Slide, and then had to take it down with Escavalier, as, again, he was the only one who it wouldn’t just sweep through. Her Musharna and Gothitelle were not a problem, however, going down to X-Scissor with ease.

Marshall, I left until last as I expected him to be the most difficult, and I was certainly correct there. All of his Pokemon have rock type moves, so I had to switch between using a Sword Dance buffed Leavanny’s Aerial Aces and my Escavalier. It was annoying and required a lot of healing items, but wasn’t anywhere near as bad as someone of the Elite Four in the other games I’ve played up to this point.

Now N… Well, firstly, I wasn’t aware that the game forces you to catch Reshiram. So I killed it and had to refight it. And then N kind of destroyed me because ZEKROM and stupid me didn’t realise his Klinklang was actually a Zoroark and I confused Carracosta for Crustle which led me to making a bad decision, so I reset and ended up before catching Reshiram. My battery became low so I put it on charge.

I went back to it a little while later and figured I was in no position to fight N. He has Zekrom and Archeops whom are insane, and Klinklang that walls me, most of his Pokemon one or two shot me so setting up isn’t a great strategy here. So I lost to N and decided to wait to grind on my daily events, as grinding on wild Pokemon isn’t a super viable option in this game. This may take a while. It’s time for Platinum to take over as the main game I’ll be concentrating on. If by the end of my other challenges, I still don’t feel I’m in a position to fight N, I’ll try some clock trickery to grind more easily, but it shouldn’t come to that.

I don't see N as winnable right now unlike I did with Steven, so I'm not going to trial and error it until I win. I'm going to grind and fight him at a more acceptable level.

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 9 – N/Ghetsis (finale)

Sorry for huge screenshots but...

Spoiler:

No, I changed my mind. I knew I couldn’t be content with that, I'm too stubborn, and if I could do Steven against all odds, I could do this. So I decided to set up 6 X Defends on Crustle and use Shell Smash twice to sweep his team with it. I don’t remember entirely what happened because the entire thing was a rush, but I did it first try after that. Here, have the screenshot.

Ghetsis, I just trial and errored, getting knocked out to gain EXP until he was no longer really an issue. It’s kind of cheap that this is allowed in this game, but you also can’t grind on wild Pokemon, and I’d probably just grinding on the first 4 members of the Elite 4 if this was any other game at this point, considering, I’ll reiterate, I was totally loaded and lost a fraction of all my money from dying.

Either way, have some commemorative screenshots, and my team. I want to end off by saying that most of the Pokemon on this team were beastly... except Scolipede, who was sadly pretty disappointing by end game. This game unfortunately doesn't really let poison types shine, but luckily Gen 6 does. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

Leavanny:
                          Spoiler:

Crustle:
                          Spoiler:

Galvantula:
                          Spoiler:

Escavalier:
                          Spoiler:

Accelgor:
                          Spoiler:

Scolipede:
                          Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype FIN!
                            #114   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:40 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by adzpower.

Pokemon Y Grass Monotype

Starter + Gyms 1-2
                            Spoiler:
                            Blossom has landed in Kalos! Professor Sycamore had heard of her achievements in Hoenn and Johto and requested her to be one of five children to accept a Kalos region pokedex, how could she say no?!

After meeting up with the gang we got our first Pokemon, Chespin, our theme for names this time around is flowers, we call him Crocus, and he is gentle. We head through the forest and catch ourselves another potential teammate, Dandelion the Pansage.

I should say I have no idea who I’m going to use for my team this time, not much planning has gone into it, I’m just gonna catch each grass type we find and consider using them at that point, Dandelion is Quirky which works out well.

We head to the Santalune gym and quite frankly Viola was a joke, three rollouts from Crocus and she went down, badge one is ours! Also I completely forgot to take a pic of our victory, I was watching the new x-men trailer at the time and was totally distracted.

We get the exp.share and head to Lumiose where we meet Sycamore in the flesh! He gives us a choice of three Pokemon, you already know which one Blossom wants, so we welcome our next team member, Begonia the Bulbasaur, he is serious.

We get a fresh haircut and head onto the next route where we find another teammate, Lotus the gentle Skiddo. After freeing up the path from a Snorlax we find the daycare and in the flowers we find another potential team member, Peony the Hoppip! She is Naïve.

We finally get to Cyllage City after having to stop weirdos in orange suits and face Grant, who is a rock type gym leader, he was easy, we have grass types, he didn’t stand a chance in all honesty.
                            Spoiler:

This is how our team currently looks. I was gonna grab an Eevee but the moss rock isn’t until the forest after Snowbelle, after badge eight, that just won’t work, so we’ll have to get Leafeon perhaps in Alola when we make it there.
                            Spoiler:

Gyms 3-4
                            Spoiler:

Since beating Grant we did quite a lot, got some new clothes and headed to Geosenge town, nothing eventful happened, oh, except for that pointless first battle with Korrina, I beat you so where’s my badge? Hmph.

We make our way through the Reflection cave and catch a Ferrothorn, not sure if I want to use this but I bumped into it so why not catch it just in case? I called her Daisy which I find hilarious because she’s so spiky and ugly but has a pretty name.

During our cave adventure Begonia evolves into Venusaur and Peony evolves into Jumpluff. Just in time for the gym battle! Oh wait, first I have to do the shoe-horned mega evolution plot with the very overrated Lucario, I’m surprised Korrina isn’t more upset a Pokemon she raised wants to suddenly leave her and travel around with a noob trainer but okay. Welcome to your new home Lucario, the PC.

Thanks to Peony this gym is very easy, I used Jumpluff on my Heart Gold playthrough and didn’t want to use her again just yet but I think she might be a main stay now, Acrobatics is an OP move and with it on Peony we just tear her Pokemon to shreds.
                            Spoiler:

We progress onto the next route and fight the trainers, I stopped by Azure Bay to get the X-scissor TM thinking it could be useful for the next gym, but welp, no-one can learn it, oh well, we still have Peony. Crocus evolves into Chesnaught and Lotus evolves into Gogoat here, after coming off Heart Gold where my Bayleef didn’t fully evolve until about badge 6, its weird to have a fully evolved team at badge 3. Kalos is weird.

Once again Peony decimates the gym, Ramos really didn’t stand a chance, but I commend him on his excellent choice of type. Oh yeah we thought Calem as well, that was a total non-event.
                            Spoiler:

Gyms 5-6
                            Spoiler:

So after beating Ramos we made our way down to the desert, didn’t do much exploring, there’s nothing I need to do here except clear the power plant, very easy, then we head down to Lumiose and take on Clemont, his gym is fun, I like it, Lotus learns Bulldoze by level up so this gym was a cinch in all honesty.
                            Spoiler:

After that I made the decision to ditch Begonia from my team, the free mega was nice but I realized it doesn’t get Giga Drain and I needed a reliable special attacker, so I backtracked and caught one of my favorite Pokemon, Roselia, I thought it was too on the nose to name him Rose so I called him Red Rose instead, still boring but what else can I really call a Roselia when my naming theme is flowers.

Then we head up to Laverre City, stop at the pointless haunted house and head into the city to buy clothes, and erm….challenge the gym I guess. Valerie kind of freaks me out I won’t lie, she’s like one of those people who get plastic surgery to look like lions or something. We quickly dispatch her, we use this gym to train up Red Rose a lot since the poison typing is helpful.
                            Spoiler:

During this gym run I evolve Dandelion into Simisage, his offensive stats are quite impressive actually. We clear the Pokeball factory and I realize that at LV 37 Red Rose learns his last good move so I evolved him into Roserade.

We we head through the next route battling trainers when I stumble across a Pokemon I was going to use, but after checking up its stats I figured Wynaut? We reach route 16 and the first wild Pokemon I find is the super-size Pumpkaboo, its holding a miracle seed but unfortunately it is a TERRIBLE nature, so I had to catch another one and I find one that’s quirky and I think is the second largest version? Its hard to tell honestly, but she’ll do, we call her Marigold.

We reach the next town whose name escapes me (Dendeville?) and clear the frost cavern and save the Abomasnow and make our way to Anistar city for CLOTHES…..erm nah just the gym again, this is where I stopped, I defeated Calem easily and next time I play I’ll challenge Olympia.
                              #115   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:00 AM).
                            Youngster

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by adzpower View Post
                              Champion pose!
                              Spoiler:
                              I haven't spent much time reading everyone else's posts in detail, just skimming, but I just want to say I love that team. I feel most of those Pokemon are super good and really underappreciated.

I also 100% agree with you about hating how the Ho-Oh/Lugia section was shoehorned in and forced. It makes me never want to do a challenge run of SoulSilver because you'd have to backtrack even further for it. I completely forgot this was even a thing, honestly.

Can I point out how much better you are at nicknames than me too? I'm terrible, but I feel obligated to name my Pokemon so I just name them the first thing that comes to mind.

And as for you saying you've never beaten a Pokemon game in less than 12hrs (and that 12:01 for ORAS was the fastest you'd ever done), my current record is 3hrs 54 mins in Gold (on console, well, the GameBoy Player) using only Feraligatr. I haven't tried to speed through any of the others, other than Let's Go Pika and that took me 4hrs 45 mins roughly. I know I can definitely beat that Let's Go time though, but I have no interest right now.
                                #116   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:32 AM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by FactoriesFarAway View Post
                                I haven't spent much time reading everyone else's posts in detail, just skimming, but I just want to say I love that team. I feel most of those Pokemon are super good and really underappreciated.

I also 100% agree with you about hating how the Ho-Oh/Lugia section was shoehorned in and forced. It makes me never want to do a challenge run of SoulSilver because you'd have to backtrack even further for it. I completely forgot this was even a thing, honestly.

Can I point out how much better you are at nicknames than me too? I'm terrible, but I feel obligated to name my Pokemon so I just name them the first thing that comes to mind.

And as for you saying you've never beaten a Pokemon game in less than 12hrs (and that 12:01 for ORAS was the fastest you'd ever done), my current record is 3hrs 54 mins in Gold (on console, well, the GameBoy Player) using only Feraligatr. I haven't tried to speed through any of the others, other than Let's Go Pika and that took me 4hrs 45 mins roughly. I know I can definitely beat that Let's Go time though, but I have no interest right now.
                                Yeah the team actually ended up pretty good! I was very sceptical before starting HG, because I couldn't really remember much variation in Johto but I was pleasantly surprised and its made me see some Pokemon like Jumpluff for example in a whole new light.
                                And thanks about the nicknames, tbh I kind of felt like mine were a tad boring but maybe everyone feels that way about the way they do it?
                                Also at your game times, WOW, are you a machine?:laugh-squinted:
                                I guess I'm just a slow player.
                                  #117   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:47 AM).

I also tend to take my time exploring, grinding, and so on. I'm playing challenges to have fun, but rushing isn't that much fun to me. That's also why I will likely never speedrun a Pokemon game.
                                    #118   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:06 AM).
                                  Youngster

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 4 – Badge 4/8

Spoiler:
                                    I know I’m already halfway into the challenge, but I’m going to change the format a bit, as the “team so far” sections take up too much space and looked clunky. I’m going to be condensing them the best I can whilst keeping the same information. I’m also going to change my titles from size 5 to size 3, again, to save space.

This part was almost entirely grinding on trainers, and then fighting Maylene was wasn’t too difficult due to most of bugs being part flying, and Wormadam-T having a Ground type Hidden Power to deal with Lucario. What’s worth mentioning, however, is I replaced Kricketune with Yanma who I caught in the Great Marsh, and my final Burmy evolved into Wormadam Plant along the way (Wormadam-P).

I’m finding this game in particular really boring and kind of a drag though. The Pokemon I’m using feel dull and very similar to each other, and I’ve never had this feeling until now. There was a lot more variety in the bugs in previous generations. Mothim is so similar in terms of level up movepool to Wormadam that I don’t know why it isn’t just Wormadam Wind Cloak or something. Gen 4 was unkind to bug types, I’ll say that much.

I also want to point out that every time I put the console on sleep mode, it crashes the game. Super annoying, and doesn’t happen with any of my other games. It crashes at random times too.

TEAM SO FAR

Yanma (Yanma) ♂ Lv 30 | Hardy | Compoundeyes
                                    Moves: Sonic Boom, Pursuit, Supersonic, Uproar

Beeyonce (Vespiquen) ♀ Lv 33 | Hardy | Pressure
                                    Moves: Slash, Gust, Bug Bite, Power Gem

Wam (Wormadam-T) ♀ Lv 28 | Mild |Anticipation
                                    Moves: Confusion, Mirror Shot, Bug Bite, Hidden Power (Ground)

Hunee (Mothim) ♂ Lv 30 | Sassy | Swarm
                                    Moves: Confusion, Gust, Bug Bite, Poison Powder

Bam (Wormadam-S) ♀ Lv 28 | Mild | Anticipation
                                    Moves: Confusion, Rock Blast, Bug Bite, Hidden Power (Bug)

Slam (Wormadam-P) ♀ Lv 27 | Mild | Anticipation
                                    Moves: Confusion, Razor Leaf, Bug Bite, Hidden Power (Bug)
                                      #119   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                    Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:44 AM).

I basically grew up with gen 4, I adore those games, I must have spent hundreds of hours on Diamond, but whenever I go back and replay them now I find it so difficult, they are sooooo slow, everything feels sluggish to me. And the middling part of the Sinnoh games kind of all blends together. I still love them though. But once I take the nostalgia goggles off I see the flaws. I also think the Pokedex kind of sucked, not much variety. Personally I'm kind of dreading my grass challenge when I get to Sinnoh. I'll have to go for honey trees as well to find Cherubi and Burmy. Sigh.
                                        #120   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:16 PM).
                                      FactoriesFarAway FactoriesFarAway is offline
                                      Youngster

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by adzpower View Post
                                        I basically grew up with gen 4, I adore those games, I must have spent hundreds of hours on Diamond, but whenever I go back and replay them now I find it so difficult, they are sooooo slow, everything feels sluggish to me. And the middling part of the Sinnoh games kind of all blends together. I still love them though. But once I take the nostalgia goggles off I see the flaws. I also think the Pokedex kind of sucked, not much variety. Personally I'm kind of dreading my grass challenge when I get to Sinnoh. I'll have to go for honey trees as well to find Cherubi and Burmy. Sigh.
                                        I don't think Sinnoh is necessarily bad, nor do I have the same sentiment regarding nostalgia. I think Platinum is still a very good game beyond being pretty slow and sluggish until you get the bike, but this team in particular is just completely not fun to use due to the lack of variety. It feels like I'm running 5 of the same Pokemon + Yanma, as Yanma is the only one out of all of them with a completely unique movepool. I get 3 of them technically *are* the same Pokemon, but still, there's no excuse for Mothim and even Vespiquen, who has nothing to do with that line, to have such a similar learnset. The other games were challenging but fun because a lot of the bugs had unique mechanics and movepools to exploit (Shuckle, Shedinja, Forretress), or interesting types (Galvantula, Crustle, Armaldo) that made them stand out, but this is just 3 Wormadam + 3 Bug/Flying types, all of whom have little to offer in regards to a niche.
                                        Honey trees are an awful mechanic which I'm glad they got rid of too. I'm really burnt out from how sluggish and boring Platinum has been and I feel like I might need a break for a few days before continuing the challenge, and when I do I'll probably move onto Y for the time being (which I actually have interesting plans for) and go back to Platinum later. This is some of the least fun I've had with a Pokemon game and it's depressing.
                                          #121   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                        Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:39 PM).

Yeah it must be a chore having to essentially use Pokemon that are basically the same, with the same type of attacks and weaknesses and movepools. I've never used Mothim or any of the Wormadam's although I plan to use the grass one when I do my playthrough, but I'm not looking forward to it. Also I agree on the honey trees, those sucked.
                                            #122   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                          Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:36 AM).
                                          Youngster

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 5 – Badge 5/8

Spoiler:
                                            I did this part in miniscule amounts over a few days, as I’m getting sick of playing Platinum in particular and this was mostly grinding levels out as I was far from being in a position to fight Wake. I wanted to fight Wake before I moved on, but he’s surprisingly difficult. His Pokemon are hench as heck and they have really good moves. In the end, I grinded a lot, but ended up having to spam healing items. I spent most of this part just using the VS Seeker to refight trainers for exp.

I’m going to come back to this game and start Y for now, as I’m not having fun with Platinum because of reasons I stated in my previous post. I'll definitely come back to it, as I want to be able to say I've beat the bug ultimate monotype challenge, but for the time being, it's turning into a drag.

TEAM SO FAR

Yanma (Yanma) ♂ Lv 31 | Hardy | Compoundeyes
                                            Moves: Sonic Boom, Pursuit, Supersonic, Uproar

Beeyonce (Vespiquen) ♀ Lv 41 | Hardy | Pressure
                                            Moves: Slash, Gust, Attack Order, Power Gem

Wam (Wormadam-T) ♀ Lv 32 | Mild |Anticipation
                                            Moves: Psybeam, Mirror Shot, Bug Bite, Metal Sound

Hunee (Mothim) ♂ Lv 32 | Sassy | Swarm
                                            Moves: Psybeam, Gust, Bug Bite, Poison Powder

Bam (Wormadam-S) ♀ Lv 32 | Mild | Anticipation
                                            Moves: Psybeam, Rock Blast, Bug Bite, Hidden Power (Bug)

Slam (Wormadam-P) ♀ Lv 32 | Mild | Anticipation
                                            Moves: Psybeam, Razor Leaf, Bug Bite, Hidden Power (Bug)

#123   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                            Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:39 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
                                            Youngster

Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Introduction/Analysis

Spoiler:
                                              Fair warning: This introduction and analysis section will be much longer than the others. Unless you want to see me rambling about lots and lots of Pokemon for about 2000 words, I’d suggest skipping this section. I also may insult your favourite Pokemon, but these are just my opinions as to explain my reasoning.

I have only played Pokemon Y through once before this, and therefore it’s the game I’m the least experienced with. It’s not that I dislike the game, it’s that I never felt the need to revisit it until now. This means that I don’t know much about it, and this will be a learning experience more than anything else. I didn’t know where you find any of the bug types before writing this, nor do I remember what the gym leaders are past the first 3, so this is something I’ll be learning along the way. For this reason, my judgement may be a little clouded on what are the best Pokemon to use, but I’ll try to make the most educated choices I can.

Pokemon Y is disappointing to me in that so few new Pokemon were introduced, and this is especially the case for bug types, with Vivillon being the only new one. This means less new bug types to try out. Or, so you’d think. There’s a couple of bug types I haven’t gotten or planned to use on my challenge yet from other generations due to them not being applicable in their respective generations that I’ll get to use here. Those two Pokemon are Durant and Illumise. But let's talk about Vivillon a bit first. I don't think it's a great Pokemon, as it's pretty much a Butterfree clone through and through, but its gimmick is primarily its regional patterns which I won't get to make use of. I live in the UK, so I'll have the garden pattern.

Firstly, let’s talk about Durant. My main complaint about Durant was how late it comes in Black and White and… that’s still the case here. But I still want to give this little guy a chance, and there’s no new Pokemon to use, so I figured why not.

Illumise is a Pokemon that I still don’t think is strong by any means, and it still has all of the issues that I mentioned in my Ruby analysis. But once again, I’d like to give this Pokemon a chance to maybe show its worth. A time to shine, if you will. I do think it’s slightly more viable in later games due to infinite usage TMs, too, as it's a very TM reliant Pokemon.

Those will take up the first 3 slots of my party. The final 3 slots are now what I’m going to think about. There is a LOT of bugs available to us in Kalos. We’re going to have to reuse ones used in previous games, as I can’t fill up a party of 6 without doing so, and I think that in itself is part on the challenge. Whilst I didn’t use a party of 6 in Kanto, that’s because Pinsir/Scyther are version exclusives which I had no way of trading for and there were not enough bug types in one version for a team of 6. In this game, there is more than enough.

First of all, I’m going to get the 3 out of the way that I flat out do not have access to. Escavalier, Accelgor, Pinsir and Scizor cannot be used, as I have no way to trade. I don’t have a second 3DS or a second copy of the game, and I don’t want to annoy my friends asking if they’ll trade bugs with me. I have a DSi, which is why I could trade perfectly fine with myself in Gen 4, to clarify. I’m not carrying around Karrablast or Shelmet until the end of the game either. Pinsir is version exclusive to X. Scyther, we’ll get onto later.

Skorupi doesn’t evolve into a bug type and I’m not carrying around a basic Pokemon until the end of the game.

Let’s get onto the Pokemon that we actually can potentially use. I used Butterfree in LeafGreen. This Pokemon can be picked up VERY early in Santalune Forest, evolves extremely early and it has Compoundeyes as its ability making its powder moves much more accurate. It learns Silver Wind, Quiver Dance and Psybeam pretty early in this game and has decent TM coverage. Now, the negatives. Its stats are pitiful for a fully evolved Pokemon with its only workable stat being its special attack and Bug/Flying is so unbelievably common. I know for a fact I’m using Vivillon, which already uses those types, is very similar to Butterfree already, has the same type, learns a lot of its moves earlier with the exception of Quiver Dance, is caught in the same area and also has access to Compoundeyes. It’s pretty redundant in this case. Vivillon is basically a Butterfree clone. I do personally think Butterfree is a little better overall, but there's no point in carrying both around when they essentially perform the same job.

Beedrill is a Pokemon I also used in LeafGreen. Found in Santalune Forest too and also evolves extremely early. That’s about where the positives end. Yes, very few. It has little to offer that other better Bug/Poison types don’t, its ability kind of sucks especially for how frail it is and its level up movepool is downright awful. Might’ve been worth using if Mega Beedrill was available before post-game and allowed in the challenge, but nah.

Wormadam is a weird one to talk about, since it’s essentially 3 different Pokemon, so I’ll talk about it as such. But first of all, we’ll point out what applies to all 3: Burmy is found very early on route 3. Its ability Anticipation is honestly pretty terrible. I’m using all 3 in Platinum, as well as Mothim.

First of all, Wormadam Plant is the more special defense based Wormadam but all of its other stats aren’t particularly good. It has workable special attack though, but it doesn’t get access to anything early on that can make use of that. Whilst its type is unique in this game as there’s no Leavanny or Paras, it makes it pretty vulnerable and it isn’t a particularly great grass type to boot. It was passable with Leavanny because of its sheer power and movepool to back it up, but a defensive based Bug/Grass type is a fairly backwards concept.

Wormadam Sand is the more physical defense oriented one. Again, all of its other stats are pretty bad, but has workable attack in this case. Whilst its type is completely unique, only sharing it with Nincada, it learns no STAB moves through level up. It learns STAB Earthquake through TM, and it being the only Bug that can do that at least gives it a niche. I’d say it's the best of a bad bunch.

Wormadam Trash is very befitting of its name, as it is flat out the worst of the 3. It tries to be the balanced one, but ends up as a terrible jack of all trades. At least unlike Sand and Plant, it learns a somewhat useful STAB move early on in Mirror Shot, but with its mediocre special attack, it’s not going to be hitting hard. Its only real positive other than its access to a STAB Flash Cannon which its mediocre Special Attack won’t make great use of anyway. Just pick up Scizor, Accelgor or Durant instead if you're insistent on having this type combination. In my case, I'll be picking up Durant. It's the cutest of the Wormadams, at least, so I'll give it that.

Mothim is a slow mixed attacker, and I think it’s the better evolution of Burmy, but I still don’t really rate this Pokemon. Its ability again, kind of sucks. Swarm isn’t terrible, it just isn’t great either. Its type is incredibly common, its level up pool is pretty terrible, but it does have quite a wide array of good TMs it can use due to being a mixed attacker. It’s just a worse Vespiquen, honestly.

Masquerain still faces a lot of the issues it has in Ruby, in that it still doesn’t learn a lot through level up and has pretty lackluster stats. Again though, it has the niche of being a bug with access to Ice Beam and Blizzard, and Intimidate is great ability, but its type is a real shame and in my opinion, you get it a bit too late for it to be really useful, requiring Surf to find. That being said, it is actually really good in Sun for reasons we'll get onto when that game comes along. Nudge nudge, wink wink, etc.

Ledian is absolutely disgustingly bad. I only used it in HeartGold as it was one of the new Pokemon to the Johto region. Neither of its abilities are good, its stats are a total joke, it is ANOTHER Bug/Flying type, it again has the problem of learning nothing through level up that is useful, and its TM capabilities are atrocious. It is the worst fully evolved bug type in existence, bar none. Yes, it's worse than niche mons like Shedinja and Shuckle, because they actually have a use, and yes, it's worse than Dustox because that at least has a movepool.

Vespiquen is one of our Platinum mons, and is without a doubt the best of the lot out of what I used in that game. It has a decent ability, but I personally think it’s nothing to write home about. Its stats are great especially for how early it evolves, but they have a weird distribution, being slow with decent mixed attacking stats and good bulk. You get it early, but female Combee is rare, and its level up movepool is really awful until it evolves. It has okay TM compatibility, but once again, just unremarkable. It’s another Bug/Flying type too, which as we’ve said, are a dime a dozen. That’s my best description of this Pokemon – for how difficult it is to get, it’s pretty unremarkable. It’s good, but there’s more interesting options. If Game Freak would’ve done something unique with this Pokemon in terms of typing or moves in exchange for having slightly worse stats, it would be a definite pick up, but they didn’t, so it’s just boring to me. I was honestly bored to death using this mon in Platinum, even though it helped carry me through the game.

Ninjask is one of my favourite Pokemon of all time, and honestly, I think it has potential to be really good. Whether or not it’s capable of meeting its potential in this playthrough is another question. In Ruby, bug isn’t a great type, but in this game, bug has good moves, making it much more viable. You get it fairly early too. Its Bug/Flying type notwithstanding, it’s an incredibly fast sweeper, and Speed Boost makes it even faster, even having the option to Baton Pass its speed buffs and Swords Dance boosts. However, it’s not without negatives, unfortunately. It learns all of its good moves pretty late with the exception of Swords Dance, and honestly, has an overall atrocious level up pool. Whilst its TM compatibility was one of my praising points in Ruby, it leaves much to be desired in this game as there’s so many Pokemon that have similar and even better TM learnsets. I used Ninjask in my first playthrough of this game, and it’s workable, but I do think there’s better options.

I’m just going to flat out say it. No. I’m absolutely not messing around with Shedinja again. It was fun to try out and it really did save the day in Ruby, but I was stuck with an all-around terrible team in a generation completely unkind to bug types and that was the only reason it managed to outshine some of them. Its uses are too niche and the AI is generally smarter in later games with more options to counter it.

Scolipede is really fast and a good attacker, with a pretty good ability in Poison Point. You get it pretty early, it learns much better moves through TM than Beedrill too. It’s not the absolute best Pokemon in the world, but definitely amongst the better bug types in this game. Anyone who read my Gen 5 playthrough might say, "Really? You said Scolipede was underwhelming by late game in that playthrough though", to which I'd say Poison was not a good STAB to have in any generation before 6 on an attack based Pokemon, which really hurt its potential. Poison is strong against Fairy now though, which unintentionally is a huge buff to Scolipede and other Poison types, but Scolipede definitely benefits the most out of the bugs because of its speed.

Crustle, oh boy. This is a Pokemon you get fairly early on, but not as early has most other bugs we’ve mentioned here. By the standards of bugs in this game, it evolves fairly late, however. It’s slow, but has gigantic defense and great attack. Its typing is unique for this game and makes it super bulky, and access to STAB Rock Slide at level 29 is amazing. Both of its abilities are decent. In my opinion this is the single best early bug type in this game. It carried me through Black, and was the best on my team in that game too. Crustle is such a good and underappreciated Pokemon.

Yanmega is a Pokemon only found as a horde encounter. It’s found early-mid game. Both of its abilities are really good, but Speed Boost is definitely the superior of the two. It has insanely strong special attack for a bug type. However, it learns all of its useful moves really late (most likely after the end of the game even) and not much to offer via TM that other special sweepers don’t. Yet another Bug/Flying type.

Heracross is really great. Fighting is a good STAB to have that’s unique to it, its attack is absurd and its defenses are solid to boot. In fact, yeah, it has all-around great stats. Guts is really strong if it can get it off. It’s found mid-game unfortunately passed the rock type gym, but is definitely useful regardless. It learns amazing moves through level up, as well as Earthquake, Rock Slide and Shadow Claw through TM just to name a few highlights. It may be the single best bug type in this game, especially given the only real other contenders either aren’t available in the version I chose for various reasons, or are only available super late. It did a good job my HeartGold playthrough too, albeit got outshined by Scizor purely as Scizor was the better Pokemon to use in most situations. It still destroyed gyms that suited its type, such as Pryce's.

I’m not using Shuckle. Again, I used it in HeartGold as it was one of the Johto bug types, but it’s super niche and whilst it has more options to explore in this game, I just don’t think it’s worth carrying around when there’s so many other bug types in this game.

You get Ariados too late for it to be useful. Scolipede is better to boot. I have nothing more to say.

I’d really love to use Scyther, as it didn’t get much of a show in HeartGold before it evolved into Scizor and I didn’t get to use it in LeafGreen as it’s a version exclusive to FireRed and I had no way to trade. But you get it too late for it to be particularly useful, especially given its type not being useful against any of the Elite Four. It’s an amazing Pokemon, but I absolutely wished you got it earlier.

In the end, I decided to go with:

-Crustle
                                              -Scolipede
                                              -Heracross

Pokemon I considered but ultimately didn’t make the cut because of what I said in their description:

-Scyther
                                              -Vespiquen

With that aside, there’s not much really to say about Y. It adds nothing new to the table for bug types that gen 5 hadn’t already, and adds no new mechanics, or at least ones we’ll be using in this playthrough. Which sadly includes the Fairy type. No Fairy bug until Gen 7, unfortunately.

Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Badge 1/8

Spoiler:
                                              I forgot quite how nice Y feels to play. I feel this game gets a lot of negativity from people when it really isn’t bad.

Either way, I picked Chespin as my starter, to give rival the fire type one. Shauna gets Froakie, of course, which we will be fairly neutral against. I picked up Scatterbug on route 2, and in this game I realised catching actually gives experience, so I exploited this to level up Scatterbug and caught a LOT of Pokemon early, including all the other bugs I don’t plan to use, but put in my party just in case.

You pick up three X Attacks from the Trainer school, which I used on my Vivillon against Viola, making the entire fight just Tackling her Pokemon to death.

Gardenia (Vivillon) ♀ Lv 15 | Calm | Shield Dust
                                              Moves: Tackle, Struggle Bug, Stun Spore, Protect

+ 5x fodder Pokemon whom I’m not going to the list for the sake of saving time.

#124   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                              Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:43 AM).
                                              TheCrystalFlaaffy TheCrystalFlaaffy is offline
                                              Youtube Content Creator

Nature: Jolly
                                                Here's the signups and progress for all the challenges I've done across all the previous Monotype threads. Don't feel like going back for all the links as they're spread out between like 3 different threads. Only one completed is Ice, though I'm close for Rock, Normal, and Bug.

Forum User Name: TheCrystalFlaaffy
                                                Game(s): Fire Red | Silver | Emerald | Platinum | Volt White | Y | Sun (Complete)
                                                Pokémon Type: Ice
                                                Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Game(s): Red | Crystal | Emerald | Platinum | Blaze Black | Y | Sun (0/7)
                                                Pokémon Type: Rock

Game(s): Leaf Green | Soul Silver | Emerald | Platinum | White | Y | Sun (0/7)
                                                Pokémon Type: Normal

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald | Pearl | White | Y | Sun (0/7)
                                                Pokémon Type: Bug

Game(s): Leaf Green | Soul Silver | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White | | Sun (0/7)
                                                Pokémon Type: Ghost

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald | Platinum | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
                                                Pokémon Type: Water

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald (0/8) | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
                                                Pokémon Type: Fighting

Game(s): Heart Gold (0/16) | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
                                                Pokémon Type: Dark

Game(s): Blue (0/8) | Crystal (0/8) | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
                                                Pokémon Type: Grass
                                                  #125   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                                Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:51 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Kimborelli.
                                                Kimborelli Kimborelli is offline

So I've been stalking for long enough, time for me to sign up!

Forum User Name: Kimborelli
                                                  Game(s): FireRed, Heart Gold, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Moon
                                                  Pokémon Type: Gonna be the start of the ULTIMATE ultimate, Bug
                                                  BINGO Challenge-0/28 Challenges

COMPLETED CHALLENGES
                                                  RANDOM POKEMON CHALLENGE-Lets Go Eevee/UltraMoon

Quick Reply