Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

Ad Content

#151   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 1 Week Ago (10:39 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
Youngster

Nature: Sassy
    Pokemon Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype - Introduction

Spoiler:
    So I'm starting my Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype. Why? Because I'm at my partner's house right now and I didn't bring Platinum with me so I can't finish the last leg of my bug monotype challenge until Wednesday or Thursday, and I'm definitely not trekking an hour back home just to get my cart. Same deal with my Fire Red Fighting monotype - it was on emulator, on my PC, at home. I brought my 2DS with me, with my Sun cartridge, which also has Omega Ruby installed onto the system, so I only have a choice between those two games right now. Given I just played through Sun, I'm going with Omega Ruby. Am I going to be able to finish it before Wednesday/Thursday? I don't know, but if I don't, I'll just continue it when I'm done with my other ongoing challenges.

Omega Ruby is the first instance of me actually using the starter in a challenge, in this case, Blaziken. I'm also going to be using the other three fighting types introduced in gen 3. Hariyama, Medicham and Breloom, which thankfully, have no type crossovers.

As there's so few Fighting types in the Hoenn dex, there's not going to be any analysis as such for the last two team members. The only other fighting types available are Machamp, Heracross and Gallade.

Heracross is a definite pick up as it's the only one of the 3 with a unique type. Machamp is not possible for me to get in this game as I don't have a second 3DS or game to trade with, but I do have a way to trade in the DS games, so it's very likely I'll be using it in both of the gen 4 titles instead. So my last Pokemon is going to be Gallade. My fear is that it'll be incredibly similar to Medicham, however, but we'll see how it goes.

I am only going to go for the Slakoth for Makuhita trade in Rustboro City if I find a Slakoth whilst looking for Shroomish. Otherwise, I will just catch one in Granite Cave.

Also, 4% encounter Ralts that has to be male (so essentially a 2% encounter) sounds incredibly unfun, so RIP me.

Pokemon Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype - Part 1 - Badge 1, Roxanne

Spoiler:
    So before I start, I want to go over a couple of things I found out when I researched it. The only guaranteed Dawn Stone in the game is in Victory Road, meaning Kirlia has the niche of being a NFE Pokemon with low stats being Fairy type unlike Medicham, for most of the game. Additionally, Meditite isn't gotten until quite late in the game, with Mt Pyre being the earliest location. I could've sworn you could get it earlier than that, but apparently you can't. I did keep a naming theme this time around until... well, you'll see.

I also want to add that I got very lucky, as most of my Pokemon actually have attack+ natures this time around.

I chose Torchic as my starter, and of course, the first thing I had to do was grind for the 2% encounter rate male ralts and surprisingly... it didn't take that long. 30-45 minutes at most. I encountered 2 female Ralts before it. In the meantime, I caught in total 8 (I believe) Zigzagoons, and restocked Pokeballs. I was specifically looking for Zigzagoons with Pickup to take up the other slots in my party whilst I grinded for encounters. I figured if I was going to take a while so why not?

I replaced one of the Zigzagoons with the male Ralts, and put him to the front of my party. By this point, from just grinding on wild encounters, my Torchic was already Level 12.

Once I reached Petalburg Woods, it was time to search for my third party member, Shroomish. In the meantime, I somehow found 2 Slakoth despite it having a 5% encounter rate, so I caught one, for use in a little bit. I then swapped out another Zigzagoon for Shroomish.

I fought all of the trainers up to Rustboro City to level up my current Pokemon, then swapped one of my Zigzagoons for Slakoth. I spent a while looking for the trainer in Rusboro City who does the Slakoth for Makuhita trade, and then traded with him to receive my fourth party member, who unfortunately, will be our last party member for a very long time, and he's stuck with his traded name.

After fighting the trainers on Route 116, Torchic evolved into Combusken. It was now time to face the gym. The gym itself was just... super easy. I led with Shroomish who utterly destroyed Roxanne. I just figured this was worth updating as there is lots of party members right at the beginning of the game to note.

Team so far

KickinChick (Combusken) female Lv16 | Blaze | Brave @ Oran Berry
    Moves: Rock Tomb, Peck, Ember, Double Kick

BlazinBlades (Ralts) male Lv12 | Trace | Docile @ Oran Berry
    Moves: Growl, Confusion, Double Team, Disarming Voice

ZoominShroom (Shroomish) female Lv15 | Effect Spore | Naughty @ Oran Berry
    Moves: Mega Drain, Headbutt, Stun Spore, Leech Seed

Makit (Makuhita) male Lv 14 | Guts | Brave @ Oran Berry
    Moves: Tackle, Fake Out, Force Palm, Rock Tomb

+2x Pick Up Zigzagoon
      #152   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 1 Week Ago (2:00 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by limeemil.

Pokemon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Ultimate Challenge

My progress:
      Spoiler:

Made some more progress today! The run has started to pick up some speed since only having one pokémon on the team means that pokémon grows really fast.

- Defeated a Team Rocket grunt and received TM28 Dig.
      - Went to Vermilion City and picked up the Vs. Seeker. This will make any future grinding a lot easier.
      - Traded Spearow for Farfetch'd.
      - Acquired the Bike Voucher .
      - Went east to route 12 to beat the trainers there for som exp. Dratini evolved into Dragonair during this time.
      - Boarded the S.S. Anne.
      - Beat my rival, Green. Forgot to take a picture, unfortunately.
      - Helped the captain and got HM01 Cut.
      - Entered the gym.
      - Defeated Lt. Surge for the Thunder Badge and TM34 Shock Wave. The battle was quite easy due to Dragonair being 10 levels higher than his Raichu by this point.
      - Taught Dragonair Shock Wave.
      - Went through Diglett's Cave in order to get HM05 Flash.
      - Went back to Cerulean City; picking up the Bicycle along the way.
      - Traveled east towards Rock Tunnel.
      - Trekked through Rock Tunnel, arriving at Lavender Town.
      - Gave Dragonair a new nickname (finally!). She shall heceforth be known as Tiki.

I'll be heading towards Celadon City next in order to grab some TM's and my second party member.

Current Team:
      Spoiler:

Tiki the Hardy Dragonair Lv. 39
      Shed Skin
      - Twister
      - Dragon Rage
      - Water Pulse
      - Shock Wave

Challenge type: Ultimate
      Pokémon type: Dragon
      Game(s): Fire Red, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White, Y, Ultra Moon
      Current progress: Fire Red 8/8, Soul Silver 0/16, Alpha Sapphire 0/8, Platinum 4/8, White 0/8, Y 0/8, Ultra Moon 0/8
        #153   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 1 Week Ago (2:18 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
      Youngster

Quote:
        Originally Posted by limeemil View Post
        Current Team:
        Spoiler:

Tiki the Hardy Dragonair Lv. 39
        Shed Skin
        - Twister
        - Dragon Rage
        - Water Pulse
        - Shock Wave
        Not to sound condescending, but I just want to make sure. You ARE going to pick up a second Dratini, right? The rules say that you need at least 2 Elite Four viable Pokemon by the end of the game of your stated type.

Edit: Nvm, read your post in more detail, lol.
          #154   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 1 Week Ago (7:26 PM).
        Anti-Nonsense

Nature: Modest
        Ice Waves
        ddrox13's Monotype Challenge of Renegade Platinum with the Ice type.

Challenge Complete!

This run, man.

Doing an insane challenge like this really helps solidify your love for a type. Ice is just not a great type to mono with, but if you're gonna do it, it's a hell of a lot of fun. Renegade Platinum is also an absurd game to do any challenge in, but here we are.

Bar the obvious exception bearing the name Infernape, late-game Sinnoh is actually fairly nice to Ice-types. Not too many pesky fighters, not too many fiery things outside of Flint's room, lots of Pokémon with low Defenses to one-shot. This meant there were a lot of things for my one-shotters - most notably Leiptr (Weavile), Gjoll (Froslass), and Sylgr (Mamoswine) - to lay the smack down on. My more well-rounded first partner Fjorm (Glaceon) was able to patch up many situations where a one-shot wasn't in the cards, which was a major asset and led to her being this run's MVP. Combine those four with Hail support and the occasional Hammer Time from the still-fairly-underwhelming Hrid (Abomasnow) and some Fire protection in Svol (Walrein), and you have as close to a recipe for in-game success as you can have while being locked to the worst defensive type in the game.

Through all the ups and downs, this has been one of my most fun monotypes, if not my most fun, to date. If you love the Ice-type as much as I do, feel free to give this run a try. Thanks again to Dray for an amazing game, and thanks to all of you lovelies for reading this mess.

---

Cyrus II is actually an okay fight, despite a number of annoying things. Svol of all people netted KOes 1-3 on Crobat, Magnezone, and Houndoom. Fjorm mopped up Honchkrow and Weavile with a few well-placed Dazzling Gleams.

Gjoll, in her standard refusal to be outshown by her sisters, took out four of Saturn's Pokemon, leaving only Marmortar for Sylgr to dispose of.

Leiptr, for her part, led the team through the entire Hrid-less ascent of Mt. Coronet. Mars/Jupiter goes about as well as it physically can go - Rabinov *didn't* mess anything up, meaning Leiptr, Gjoll, and Fjorm could sweep through the twin commanders with little to no resistance (bar a rogue Hammer Arm from a Scrappy Kangaskhan KOing Gjoll). Distortion World time!

After the only good puzzle area in the series, It's time for Cyrus... WAIT I FORGOT HE KEEPS THE LEGENDAR.... It's time for a double battle with Dialga and Palkia! Leiptr and Fjorm fall to a pair of Aura Spheres, but not before doing a significant chunk of damage to Dialga and Palkia respectively. Gjoll finishes the latter, while Sylgr evicts the former. The actual Cyrus III fight that follows plays out quite similar to Cyrus II, except that he now has a Gyarados for Gjoll to nuke. Giratina, now dubbed Hel to be at least somewhat on-theme, then takes a Master Ball to the face because she's a more HM-efficient Fly slave than Murkrow (after listening to her battle theme for ~10 minutes while I logged up to this point).

Volkner was next, and Sylgr and Fjorm basically trivialized this fight. Sylgr took out Jolteon while taking a good chunk of damage, but stayed in to donk Magnezone anyway. Volkner's two Rotom possess the Heat and Wash forms, and were evicted by Svol and Leiptr respectively. Fjorm was finally responsible for cleaning up the two Physical attackers, Luxray and Electivire.

Pretty much everyone contributes on Victory Road (except for Hrid for obvious reasons - she's benched). As you'd probably expect by now, the Marley quest is mandatory and pre-E4. That sidequest and Lucas provide enough of a challenge to convince me we need a couple more levels (and to dump Svol's unwanted HMs). So, we do. And we catch Hrid up, then equip her Ball Capsule for the final time, locking my final party of six.

The final fight with Rabinov is the only thing between us and the E4, and everyone manages to help out. Staraptor gets a Leiptr Punch (the Icy variety, specifically) to the face, Fjorm crits Heracross, Svol eats a Close Combat and Surfs away the subsequent fire doggo, Gjoll gets the free OHKO on Torterra, Hrid makes her first appearance of the update to drop a Wood Hammer on Azumarill, and Sylgr is the option for deleting the Snorlax that caused me no end of problems before. A fine way to start the League, if I do say so myself.

The Elite Four in Renegade Platinum is semi-randomized - each Elite has 4 potential teams, and you won't know which you're facing until you get there. So, no Serebii cheese.

Aaron leads with a Masqrain, which in this game actually resists Ice due to inheriting its pre-evolution's Water/Bug style. It manages to take out Gjoll, but it can't stop the Leiptr one-shot that follows. Fjorm chunks Aaron's Heracross before eating a Close Combat, but Leiptr, being Leiptr, is there to snag the KO. Scizor takes down everyone but Hrid, although he also goes down with Sylgr due to the Life Orb. Hrid miraculously tanks a Bug Buzz and Aaron's Beautifly misses the coin flip on the subsequent Hurricane in Hail, meaning I have time to Revive both Leiptr and Gjoll, the latter at full health. Gjoll then punishes Beautifly with an Ice Beam. Leiptr gives her life again to allow me to revive Sylgr, who in turn removes Drapion and Dustox from play with Earthquake and Rock Climb (which is now a Rock-type move), winning me the match.

Bertha is hypothetically the easy one, by virtue of types. I correctly guess that Bertha would lead with something that makes a Sandstorm, so I lead Hrid to cancel it. She lands a Blizzard and an Ice Shard to win the round. Bertha leaning towards her Flying-type Gliscor next hints that a Poison Jab is in Hrid's future if she stays in, but Sylgr's Icicle Crash has other plans. Hrid makes a reappearance to handle Wishcash, and manages to win with Wood Hammer despite the surprise Bounce. Hrid is now too damaged to use Wood Hammer again, so I call in Svol to finish the match by one-shotting Golem (with the help of Hail), Rhyperior, and Donphan.

And now we come to the hard part. I make the same somewhat gutsy call to lead Hrid again, and it once more pays off as it cancels the Drought from Flint's Ninetales. Obviously I can't leave her in to take an Overheat though, so Svol takes over to do that. The bane of my existance, Infernape, is the next call from the flame master, and it is now that I realize I didn't go through with my Genius Plan of giving Fjorm the Soft Sand. So, I first preform "The HJK Test", aka leading Fjorm and switching into Gjoll to attempt to see if Infernape bears High Jump Kick. Turns out he went for the Flare Blitz, however, so Gjoll falls instantly. The recoil damage does allow Fjorm to get the revenge kill successfully. Flint answers with Flareon, and fittingly both Eeveeloutions fall together to Flare Blitz when Earth Power fails to KO. Due to the double-KO I'm blind picking my next sub, and I go with the safe option of Svol. She manages to survive Rapidash's Wild Charge, and answers with Surf. I keep her in on Houndoom and throw a Potion her way, allowing her to eat two Fire Blasts in style and respond with another Surf. Flint's ace is Magmortar, but he falls to the faster Sylgr in a single Earthquake.

Lucian has traditionally been the E4 member that gives me the most trouble. I again lead Hrid for that sweet, sweet chip damage from Hail into Lucian's barrier-happy Mr. Mime. Not that Hrid cares terribly much about Reflect - Wood Hammer still nets the OHKO. Bronzong is probably my least favorite Pokemon to fight in-game ever, and it lives up to that here by tanking a Gjoll Shadow Ball and retaliating with Gyro Ball. Obvious Full Restore is obvious, so Leiptr has two shots to Thief Bronzong to death, which she succeeds. My plan against Gallade is to see how Fjorm fares, then sac Hrid to revive Gjoll. Turns out the latter part of the plan doesn't matter, as Fjorm gets her first Snow Cloak dodge of the run to complete the 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam. Unlike Bronzong, Metagross doesn't have Levitate, so Sylgr gets to throw out an Earthquake. Unfortunately, Gross survives because of that Reflect I totally forgot about from turn 1 and KOes with Meteor Mash, so Leiptr comes back out to clean up again, "accidentally" taking down Lucian's Espeon and Alakazam in the process to end the duel.

Cynthia time! The "lead Hrid, push Wood Hammer, and hope for the best" strategy seems to have worked so far, so I keep it up. Spiritomb does survive it and answers with W-o-W, so I resort to Blizzard to finish the job [ddrox 6 - 5 Cynthia]. Lucario is sent out, so I try the "check for HJK" trick again and it once more gets Gjoll killed, this time by Meteor Mash [ddrox 5 - 5 Cynthia]. That said, Sylgr remains ever faster than I expected, and nets the return KO [ddrox 5 - 4 Cynthia]. Milotic is next, and my answers are either Burned (Hrid) or dead (Gjoll). I pick the former, and just drop a Full Restore to get her back in fighting shape. At this point, it's (Wood) Hammer time [5-3]. My only good answer to Togekiss is to hope Sylgr's Icicle Crash OHKOes. It doesn't, but nor does the return Moonblast, so Ice Shard picks up the round [5-2]. At this point, Cynthia is down to her Ice-weaks. Roserade is first, but it takes a Leiptr Punch to the face in rapid order [5-1]. Lastly, I always go out of my way to give the final kill on Cynthia to whoever I think deserves it the most. In this case, the answer is fairly obvious, as Fjorm is the one to eliminate Garchomp, even through the Yache Berry. GG.

The Team

Now with commentary! And Hall of Fame Screenshots!
        Spoiler:
        I'll also be including some tidbits about important changes in Renegade Platinum for these Pokémon

Fjorm (Glaceon) (F) @ Never-Melt Ice
        Ability: Snow Cloak
        Level: 75
        Hasty Nature
        - Ice Beam
        - Dazzling Gleam
        - Extrasensory
        - Earth Power
        Notable changes: Availability increased dramatically. Evolution changed to using an Ice Stone. Level-up movepool increased. Speed (formerly base 65) and Special Defense (formerly base 95) swapped. Gets Earth Power. Later.

Holy hell Fjorm was so much fun to use. She literally soloed the first quarter of the game, then just was a reliable special nuke and okay physical wall by the end. She sort of fell behind Gjoll offensively, but it really didn't matter, since Gjoll died so darn often that a second character with a nearly-identical moveset was always a boon. She was the overall MVP for a reason - being reliable and fun from start to finish.

Gjoll (Froslass) (F) @ Scope Lens
        Ability: Levitate
        Level: 74
        Rash Nature
        - Shadow Ball
        - Thunderbolt
        - Ice Beam
        - Draining Kiss
        Notable changes: Evolution to Glalie happens 10 levels earlier (32). Both evolutions gain Levitate. Glalie gains 30 Attack and Defense (now 110 each) at the cost of losing 20 SpAtk and SpDef (now 60 each). Froslass gains 30 SpAtk (now 110) at the cost of losing 10 Atk (now 70). Both result in a 20 point increase to BST (480 -> 500).

Oh Gjoll. She got three of four KOes for every time she died, which was a lot, but it's worth it in the end. Her coverage was insane. The fighting immunity was a godsend. Froslass is so awesome.

Sylgr (Mamoswine) (F) @ Soft Sand
        Ability: Thick Fat
        Gentle Nature
        - Earthquake
        - Icicle Crash
        - Ice Shard
        - Rock Climb
        Notable changes: Gains Thick Fat over Oblivious. Movepool buffs. Bulldoze is in the game now, so it gets that too which is cool.

On the topic of dying a lot, here's my record for most times getting one-shot for stupid reasons by a single pokemon in a playthrough. WHY DO YOU HAVE NO DEFENSE ARGHHHHHHGH. I love Sylgr regardless though, and she was a super fun use.

Hrid (Abomasnow) (F) @ Leftovers
        Ability: Snow Warning
        Level: 72
        Bashful Nature
        - Wood Hammer
        - Blizzard
        - Ice Shard
        - Outrage
        Notable changes: Gains Soundproof as an alternate Ability. Learns Icicle Crash by level-up.

I consider Grass, Ice, and Dark to be the types I most enjoy being around, yet the dual-types between them are just not usually my style (with one major exception). Hrid played about as I expected - She was good, then she stopped being good, then she provided a ton of goodness for the E4 out of nowhere. There was precedent for this - Abomasnow went the same route in my monograss of Diamond, and I didn't even bench it then. That said, Hail support is always appreciated, and she had a stellar E4 performance.

Leiptr (Weavile) (F) @ Life Orb
        Ability: Technician
        Adamant Nature
        - Thief
        - Ice Shard
        - Ice Punch
        - Brick Break
        Notable changes: Gains Technician as an Ability. Movepool buffs, including getting Crunch which I don't know why it didn't have before and Icicle Crash. Did I mention TECHNICIAN though?

Weavile is that exception I mentioned earlier. Leiptr's job was fairly consistent the whole back half of the run - cleaning up everyone else's messes. This job was inherited from Fjorm just after Fantina. She was quick, high-damaging, and all-around amazingly fun to use.

Svol (Walrein) (F) @ Mystic Water
        Ability: Thick Fat
        Gentle Nature
        - Surf
        - Ice Beam
        - Signal Beam
        - Blizzard
        Notable changes: Nothing really.

Walrein is the only Pokemon on this team I've never used in any other context. She did her job splendidly, and for that she gets my props.

Featuring guest appearances by:
        ICEBOARD the Piplup as: The Starter
        TOTO the Totodile as: The 2nd Pokemon for a mandatory double battle
        NOT FALCO the Murkrow as: The trophy shiny and Fly slave
        HEL the Giratina as: The late-game HM slave

-------

THREAD UPDATE:
        Due to Kingswing being dead for 2 months and this being the Monotype Challenge, I will be mod-editing the OP with challengers and completed challenges as soon as I get time. This thread will continue to be used up until November, at which point I will create a new thread for this challenge, as Monotype deserves a new thread every generation or so.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
        Challenges - TCG - Daily
          #155   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 1 Week Ago (9:21 PM).
        from pallet town

Nature: Gentle
        Water Monotype Challenge - Second Update
        Black | Marko

So thankfully I realized that I was able to get to the Relic Castle and obtain my fossil so I can have the next member on my team, and also the member that I picked BW over BW2 for. That's right, I picked up the Cover Fossil and then after reaching Nimbasa and getting the bike for faster travel, quickly trekked back to revive Cereal the Tirtouga. After her glorious revival I went back to the Resort where I then went around fighting all the trainers to level her up as best I could, then moved on to Nimbasa. Went on the Ferris Wheel and fought N, then moved on to battling Elesa.

With Donut on my side she was really easy. Donut quickly took down her two Emolgas and after she was taken out by Zebstrika Pancake went in and finished her off. With the Bolt Badge in hand we followed Elesa out to go bring down the drawbridge (after the... two fights I got from the stadium. lame.) and onto Driftveil City to what I already knew was going to be an easy gym match. Of course, this wasn't before I picked up my fifth member, Oatmeal the Ducklett!

After beat Team Plasma once again in the freezer I actually went to the route beyond Driftveil to level Cereal and Oatmeal up a little bit so they were closer to their other team members. Once I got tired of seeing Emolgas instead of Audinos I then went to face Clay. Right before the fight Donut evolved into Seismitoad! And of course with her fully evolved form in tow she quickly demolished his first two Pokemon (she's quickly becoming an MVP here isn't she) and just for the heck of it allowed Pancake to finish off his Excadrill with Revenge instead of a water type because why not. Right after Clay's gym match Pancake then moves on and evolves into a Samurott! Another member fully evolved.

Once Pancake had evolved I had decided to grind out on the route before Chargestone Cave. One so my latest two members can finish catching up to the other three and two because I didn't feel like going into the cave yet (I don't like going through this cave I find it tedious). So after more Audinos later we now have Oatmeal the Swanna and Cereal the Carracosta! Now four out of five of our members are fully evolved (you'll evolve soon Poptart I promise) and next time we'll tackle Chargestone Cave and go on to face our next Gym Battle, Skyla! I don't expect this game to really be all that difficult from here on out but we'll see knock on wood and all that.

Pancake (Samurott) ♂
        Relaxed | Torrent | Level 36 @ Mystic Water
        Revenge, Razor Shell, Fury Cutter, Slash

Donut (Seismitoad) ♀
        Serious | Poison Touch | Level 37 @ Amulet Coin
        Grass Knot, Mud Shot, Acid, Muddy Water

Poptart (Panpour) ♀
        Hasty | Gluttony | Level 34
        Acrobatics, Bite, Scald, Work Up

Cereal (Carracosta) ♀
        Hardy | Solid Rock | Level 37
        Aqua Jet, AncientPower, Crunch, Brine

Oatmeal (Swanna) ♀
        Hardy | Big Pecks | Level 35
        Air Slash, Rain Dance, Bubblebeam, Roost

HM Slaves
          #156   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 1 Week Ago (3:19 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
        Youngster

Pokemon Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype Challenge - Part 2 - Badges 2, 3, 4 and 5 + midroute update

Spoiler:
          Again, a part with a lot in, mainly because once again, I wasn't at a PC so I wasn't capable of updating. I was going to initially update after badge 3, Wattson, as there's little difference between badges 1 & 2 here.

Badge 2 was easy with Ralts' Confusion and Disarming Voice. I really do have little to say about it. Badge 3 was also easy as two of Wattson's Pokemon are weak to fighting. Before Badge 3, Ralts evolved into Kirlia, Makuhita into Hariyama and Shroomish into Breloom. All of the fights I remember being hellish in my bug type challenge are so... easy here that it's not even funny.

Continuing on that trend, the first Maxie fight was a total joke and Flannery wasn't much more difficult than him. Norman's was the easiest gym leader so far as you can imagine. I picked up a Machop before Mt Chimney too, with no intent to use it.

A few things to end off: First, I love how streamlined this game is compared to the original RSE. Second of all, wow this region is much friendlier to fighting types than bugs. Thirdly, I'm scared of Winona. Lastly, I'm genuinely getting peeved off by Kirlia constantly asking to evolve, so I need to go find an Everstone.

KickinChick (Combusken) ♀ Lv 35 | Blaze | Brave @ Sitrus Berry
          Moves: Rock Tomb, Peck, FlameCharge, Double Kick

BlazinBlades (Kirlia) ♂ Lv 35 | Trace | Docile @ Sitrus Berry
          Moves: Magical Leaf, Psychic, Calm Mind, Draining Kiss

ZoominShroom (Breloom) ♀ Lv 35 | Effect Spore | Naughty @ Sitrus Berry
          Moves: Mega Drain, Headbutt, Force Palm, Leech Seed

Makit (Hariyama) ♂ Lv 37 | Guts | Brave @ Sitrus Berry
          Moves: Knock Off, Fake Out, Force Palm, Smack Down

Machop (Machop, Temporary) ♂ Lv24 | No Guard | Impish
          Moves: Knock Off, Karate Chop, Foresight, Low Sweep

+The Latios Steven for some reason forces into your party despite the fact that I don't even want him

Pokemon Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype Challenge - Part 3 - Badges 6 & 7, New Pokemon & regular trainer battles

Spoiler:
          So in the end, Winona wasn't very scary at all with my Hariyama's Smack Down. After I was done with that, I went to pick up Meditite from Mt Pyre and Heracross from the Safari Zone... only to realise I didn't have the correct bike. In fact, I went all the way back on foot (well, Mach Bike) to pick it up. I should've just caught a Pelipper and flew, especially given... you know what, nevermind.

So after essentially a round trip around the region, I got my Heracross, who I gave a terrible name because I couldn't think of a better one that wasn't rude or didn't at least sound rude, with my naming scheme.

After that, I... uh, needed to pick up a flying type anyway. To Fly to Slateport. Yeeeep. So I got a Pelipper and flew to Slateport. Too lazy to continue messing with boxing mons, I also taught it Surf. Magma Hideout was more of a distraction to slow me down than anything, as nothing about it is tough. Why they give Courtney and Tabitha just Camerupt in both of their fights is beyond me.

After that, I headed to Mossdeep, fighting the trainers on the way there. I'm going to say this right now, the ocean is so much less confusing in the remakes. I found myself getting lost so much in RSE, but a combination of clear route borders, a dynamic map always open on the bottom screen and a wider field of view makes these areas so much easier to navigate in the remakes.

Mossdeep gym was a joke. I don't even remember what I used, I just remember it being VERY easy despite the type disadvantage. I then left to fight all the trainers left that I could find, and picked up a Tentacool to use as a HM Slave. We have used like 3 or 4 different HM Slaves at this point, I know, but the HMs in this game are awkward. I haven't bothered fighting the trainers between Petalburg and Slateport in the ocean, including the abandoned ship, but I don't think I'll need to at this point.

Right now, I'm sat in Sootopolis City, dreading doing the whole Team Magma Seafloor Cavern and Omega Groudon stuff because it just unnecessarily bloats the game in my opinion. I want to fight Wallace and the Elite Four.

KickinChick (Combusken) ♀ Lv 54 | Blaze | Brave @ Cheri Berry
          Moves: Brave Bird, Slash, Blaze Kick, Double Kick

BlazinBlades (Kirlia) ♂ Lv 51 | Trace | Docile @ Pecha Berry
          Moves: Magical Leaf, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam

ZoominShroom (Breloom) ♀ Lv 35 | Effect Spore | Naughty @ Pecha Berry
          Moves: Seed Bomb, Headbutt, Sky Uppercut, Leech Seed

Makit (Hariyama) ♂ Lv 53 | Guts | Brave @ Sitrus Berry (It's kept the same Sitrus Berry all this time... Somehow)
          Moves: Knock Off, Fake Out, Force Palm, Smack Down

FightinTite (Medicham) ♀ Lv 50 | Pure Power | Gentle @ Pecha Berry
          Moves: Hidden Power, Calm Mind, Recover, High Jump Kick

YeetinBeetle (Heracross) ♂ Lv 48 | Guts | Bashful @ Pecha Berry
          Moves: Take Down, Megahorn, Smack Down, Close Combat
            #157   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 1 Week Ago (2:29 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by limeemil.

Pokémon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Ultimate Challenge

One thing I haven´t mentioned yet is that I'm catching pokémon along the way to fill my pokédex. The purpose of this is to get the National pokédex so I can eventually beat round 2 of the Elite Four. With that said I have a question. Can I use trainer battles to train the pokémon that evolve through level-up if they aren´t of my chosen type?

My progress:
            Spoiler:

- Arrived in Celadon City.
            - Farmed enough money for TM13 Ice Beam and a second Dratini. Named her Nowi and taught her Ice Beam.
            - Trained Nowi until she could hold her own, i.e. until she evolved.
            - Battled Erika. Stun Spore was a bit annoying but with Ice Beam + Shed Skin it wasn't too much of a problem.
            - Received the Rainbow Badge and TM19 Giga Drain.
            - Went to Rocket Hideout in the Game Corner.
            - Defeated Giovanni and got the Silph Scope.
            - Went back to Lavender Town.
            - Entered the Pokemon Tower and faced off against my rival.
            - Put Marowak´s spirit to rest.
            - Rescued Mr. Fuji from Team Rocket and got the Poké Flute as thanks.
            - Woke up Snorlax and traveled to Fuchsia City through the Cycling Road.
            - Entered the Safari Zone.
            - Made my way to the secret house to get HM03 Surf.
            - Picked up the Gold Teeth.
            - Gave the Gold Teeth to the Warden in order to get HM04 Strength.
            - Taught Nowi Surf.

My next goal will be to clear Fuchsia City gym.

Current Team:
            Spoiler:

Tiki the Hardy Dragonair Lv. 41
            Shed Skin
            - Twister
            - Dragon Rage
            - Water Pulse
            - Shock Wave

Nowi the Mild Dragonair Lv. 38
            Shed Skin
            - Surf
            - Ice Beam
            - Secret Power
            - Thunder Wave

Current progress: Fire Red 8/8, Soul Silver 0/16, Alpha Sapphire 0/8, Platinum 4/8, White 0/8, Y 0/8, Ultra Moon 0/8
              #158   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 1 Week Ago (7:52 PM).
            Engineering Solutions

Nature: Lax
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Spirit Shackle View Post
            Monotype deserves a new thread every generation or so.
            Or you can be like my Monocolor thread and keep it alive forever. ;)

I've made some more progress in my Poison monotype on Y but I will likely not post an update until the game is finished.
              #159   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 1 Week Ago (6:41 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
            Youngster

Pokemon Omega Ruby Fighting Monotype Challenge - Part 4 - Team Magma, Badge 8, Victory Road and Elite Four (Finale)

Spoiler:
              Final Edit: After a million interruptions and 3 days, this post is finally finished. Wow.

So, the Team Magma section was less infuriating than I thought it'd be... again. I had to box two of my Pokemon for HM slaves, but it really didn't impact the fight in any way. I skipped the unnecessary parts and headed to the end. Maxie's Pokemon are not particularly tough, honestly.

I defeated Groudon because you can skip a lot of the game if you do that (iirc, as I've only gotten that far into the game once before, but I remember something about a magma suit) and I had no reason to catch Groudon anyway.

Wallace was not difficult with Breloom whatsoever. Again, I had to box Blaziken for a surf user, but not like Blaziken would be particularly helpful in a water type gym.

Victory Road was fairly standard. Once again, I skipped as much as it as I could, and once I got to the end, I fought Wally again with two of my Pokemon boxed, and it was very easy. Super satisfying defeating his Gallade with my little Kirlia though. After that, Wally gives the Dawn Stone and I could finally evolve Kirlia into Gallade.

Before heading into the Elite Four, I went around to get some Heart Scales I'd missed, so I could teach the elemental punch (minus Fire Punch, Blaziken covers that) to Medicham, as well as Zen Headbutt. I also taught Leaf Blade, Psycho Cut and Night Slash to Gallade. These additions made the Elite Four absolutely trivial.

Sydney... Well, what would you expect? Fighting vs Dark = Bad news for the Dark types. I swept him with just Breloom, no heals required.

Phoebe, again, was easy, because my Gallade had Night Slash. Everything was a 1 or 2 shot.

Glacia is probably the most plain and forgettable Elite Four member in all of the games. Again, Ice is weak against Fighting, and Gallade's Night Slash covered the Frosslass.

Drake's Hotline couldn't Bling after I was done with him. It must've been God's Plan that I utterly wrecked him with Medicham's Ice Punch. I can't say I'm Upset with the results. I guess you could say we Started From the Bottom, now we here at the champion!

Steven was the only actual difficult Elite Four member. "B-but he's a steel type, FFA!! How was he difficult??". Because Mega Metagross. Oh my Lord. I must've wasted 20 turns trying to PP stall it by reviving Pokemon before it started spamming Giga Impact. Giga Impact is good because it has a recharge turn, which is essentially a free turn to do what I want. And of course, in these free turns, I Blaze Kicked it twice, and it fell.

I watched the credits roll, and one thing I hate about the modern games is they don't "end" until usually a final final battle is played out. And lots of cutscenes, of course. It must've taken about 30 minutes before everything ended properly and I could check my PC box.

Overall, I thought this team was great and really well-rounded despite every Pokemon being a fighting type. There's not a single team member who I think did bad, so instead of talking about them all in one paragraph, I'll put the screenshot of my final party members beneath my description of them. Before I continue though, as I never said it in my initial post, I played on ORAS instead of RSE because I otherwise couldn't have gotten a full party of 6 fully evolved Pokemon without hacking or cheating.

Blaziken was my first party member. Whilst I don't think at times it was as useful as other team members, she was what won me the final battle, and Steven would've been extremely difficult without her. The niche of having fire type STAB is useful, though Hoenn is definitely not the best region to showcase this, with a lot of the gyms not being particularly friendly to fire types.

Gallade was an interesting one. He didn't evolve for most of the game, having the niche of being my only non-fighting Pokemon and having fairy STAB. Trace was also fun, if not always particularly useful. Of course this changed once I had the Dawn Stone, but even still, access to Night Slash made him a crucial team member for the Elite Four.

Breloom was great at dealing with Water types. Seed Bomb does huge damage, and Effect Spore was a fun ability. Leech Seed is also great too, though its usefulness degraded over time.

Hariyama was so good. Way better than I expected him to be. He was a monster early game, and was the sole carry through most of the early gyms. This was from a combination of learning good moves earlier than my other mons, and evolving early. His usefulness dropped off as time progressed and others took over him, but he was never bad, as such.

I was terrified Medicham was going to be too similar to Gallade. I was completely wrong. Medicham has the niche of being the only Pokemon in Hoenn to my knowledge that can learn all 3 of the elemental punches, allowing for amazing coverage. I'm not that happy that Game Freak essentially gave him an ability that says "this Pokemon has higher stats" instead of just giving it higher stats and a better ability, but it's not the hugest deal.

Heracross is always just good. I actually feel Heracross may have been the weakest on this team overall though, despite being one of the stronger ones on my bug teams. Bug as a STAB covers psychic types, but Heracross has one of, if not the shallowest movepools out of the Pokemon here. Again, I liked all of the team members in this team, but Heracross was generally the least useful.

Edit: Also need a smaller challenge to do whilst in transit. I spend a lot of time travelling and often don't have all my carts on me, nor do I particularly want to carry them around. I have the gen 1 and gen 2 games are already pre-installed onto my system so...

Forum User Name: FactoriesFarAway
              Game(s): Red
              Pokémon Type: Flying
              Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single
                #160   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 1 Week Ago (10:21 AM).

Pokémon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Ultimate Challenge

My progress:
                Spoiler:

- Defeated Koga and got the Soul Badge (lost the screenshot, unfortunately).
                - Cleaned up a bunch of trainers I had left unchallenged.
                - Got enough money to buy TM24 Thunderbolt.
                - Taught Nowi Thunderbolt.
                - Went through the Fighting Dojo.
                - Entered Silph Co. in order to beat Team Rocket.
                - Defeated my rival.
                - Picked up Lapras for an excellent HM slave.
                - Defeated Giovanni and got the Master Ball.
                - At this point both Nowi and Tiki where close to evolving so I used some spare Rare Candies on them.
                - Went to the gym.
                - Tiki basically soloed Sabrina due to her monstrous attack stat.
                - Got the Marsh Badge.

My next goal will be to reach Cinnabar Island for the next gym.

Current team:
                Spoiler:

Tiki the Hardy Dragonite Lv. 55
                Inner Focus
                - Return
                - Fly
                - Brick Break
                - Shock Wave

Nowi the Mild Dragonite Lv. 56
                Inner Focus
                - Outrage
                - Ice Beam
                - Surf
                - Thunderbolt

#161   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 1 Week Ago (5:55 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Newfi Cheese.
                It's Newfi Cheese!

Hey all! I'm a complete and utter noobie who loves Pokemon! I'd love any sort of help, since I'm just trying my best out here, attempting a Ultimate Steel Run, since it's my favorite type. I know you don't have to do Gen 1 as Steel, but, I can use two Magnemites and have it count, right? I just wanna make sure. Anyway, moving on!

Forum Name: Newfi Cheese
                  Games: Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, Y, Moon
                  Pokemon Type: Steel
                  Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Starting with a Moon run I started a good bit ago. There's a ton of stuff that's already happened, but nothing much exciting. Sorry if I'm not good at this kinda thing, I'm new to updating and whatever. Long story short, I'm training up Rufus the Diglett and Twobit the Magnemite for Wela Volcano Park, which is gonna suuuuuuck.
                    #162   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 1 Week Ago (8:26 AM).
                  Youngster

Question: Would I be able to use a hack like Moemon for future ultimate challenges, where it doesn't really change anything of importance other than the sprites?
                      #163   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old 1 Week Ago (9:40 AM).

Pokémon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Challenge

My progress:
                      Spoiler:

A lot has happened since the last update let me tell you! This will be a long one so bear with me.

- Arrived at Cinnabar Island.
                      - Entered the Pokémon Mansion and got the Secret Key.
                      - Challenged Blaine in his gym. Not much to say here, Nowi one-shot everything with Surf.
                      - Got the Volcano Badge.
                      - Decided to skip the Sevvi islands for now in order to beat the final gym. I want Tiki to learn Earthquake first.
                      - Defeated Giovanni. Nowi + Surf worked wonders here as well.
                      - Got the Earth Badge and TM26 Earthquake.
                      - Went to One Island with Bill.
                      - Acquired HM06 Rock Smash.
                      - Saved Lostelle in Berry Forest.
                      - Defeated my rival on my way to Indigo Plateau.
                      - Went through Victory Road and arrived at the Pokémon League.
                      - Caught some Pokémon till I had 60 owned for the National dex.
                      - Went into the Pokémon League
                      - Lorelei was tough, but between Tiki´s Brick Break and Nowi´s Thunderbolt we came out on top.
                      - Bruno was the easiest of them. Earthquake + Fly was enough to take him down.
                      - Agatha was more annoying, especially her Double Teaming Gengar. Luckily Nowi was strong enough to two-shot her team with any of her moves.
                      - Lance wasn´t that bad. Nowi managed to deal with Gyarados and both his Dragonair's easily. She even managed to take out a good chunk out of Dragonite's HP before getting KO'ed by a crit Outrage. Tiki then had a bit of a stall war vs Aerodactyl since her best move against it was Brick Break. Eventually Aerodactyl ran out of Ancientpowers and Tiki came out on top.
                      - The champion battle was simple since Nowi had super effective moves against 5 out of his 6 pokémon.
                      - Entered the Hall of Fame for the first time.
                      - Appeared back in Pallet Town where Professor Oak gave me the National dex.

That's all for now. Next I will complete the Sevii Islands side quest in order to unlock Round 2 of the Elite Four.

Current team:
                      Spoiler:

Tiki the Hardy Dragonite Lv. 68
                      Inner Focus
                      - Return
                      - Fly
                      - Brick Break
                      - Earthquake

Nowi the Mild Dragonite Lv. 69
                      Inner Focus
                      - Outrage
                      - Ice Beam
                      - Surf
                      - Thunderbolt

#164   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 1 Week Ago (9:41 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by FactoriesFarAway View Post
                      Question: Would I be able to use a hack like Moemon for future ultimate challenges, where it doesn't really change anything of importance other than the sprites?
                      I would say it's okay.
                        #165   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 1 Week Ago (11:20 AM).
                      It's Newfi Cheese!

Continuing in my Monosteel Moon run, Salazzle got absolutely wrecked by Rufus the Dugtrio! But then I got to Lurantis.... This one was difficult. Rufus didn't do much to repel it, so I had to do some serious sand attack cheesing and slowly whittle it down with Twobit the Magnemite. After that dreadful fight Olivia got absolutely Bulldozed! Off to Ula Ula, after picking up a Shieldon. I do have two questions. Is emulation allowed? Im missing Gen 1 2 and 4. Secondly, anyone have tips for baby's first monotype run. Thanks in advance!
                          #166   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old 1 Week Ago (11:35 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
                        Youngster

Pokemon FireRed Fighting Monotype – Part 2 - Badges 3, 4 and 5

Spoiler:
                          I'm going to be honest, It's been 9 days since I updated this one, so I don't entirely remember everything that happened properly, but I'll try.

Due to how overleveled I was, Lt. Surge was easy. My second Pokemon was picked up in Rock Tunnel, and it was Machop. I haven't named most of my mons yet, but I have a naming scheme in mind. I unfortunately cannot fully evolve Machop without trading, which I can't do, or hacking, so I'll be keeping him as Machoke.

The first thing I did upon entering Lavender Town was head to Celadon to get access to the Fighting Dojo with the Tea, and pick up a Water Stone for Poliwhirl when I eventually got him. The Pokemon I went with ultimately was Hitmonlee, because in this gen the elemental punches are special, and Hitmonchan has nothing else of note to him. Hitmonlee has a better stat distribution too. If this was using gen 4's engine, I'd have gone with Hitmonchan without question for the punches.

Then next, I did the Rocket Hideout and Lavender Tower sections to get access to the Super and Good Rods ASAP, so I could get Poliwag.

Now that I had all 4 Pokemon I'd plan to use (as I have no way to get Hitmonchan without hacking), I grinded them on all of the trainers I could find, including in Silph Co., before fighting Erika and Koga in that order. Erika was really easy, but Koga took a couple of attempts. Unfortunately, in gen 3, the Kanto fighting types kind of... lack options for moves with the exception of Poliwrath, which meant I kind of had to just brute force the gyms with Fighting moves, as their non-fighting moves are all pretty low power. This made Koga particularly annoying. This is going to be even more annoying later on, too.

Team so far:

Primeape ♀ Lv 44 | Lonely | Vital Spirit
                          Moves: Aerial Ace, Dig, Cross Chop, Karate Chop

Machoke ♂ Lv 43 | Sassy | Guts
                          Moves: Submission, Rock Tomb, Seismic Toss, Karate Chop

Hitmonlee ♂ Lv 43 | Rash | Limber
                          Moves: Foresight, High Jump Kick, Brick Break, Thief

Poliwrath ♀ Lv 43 | Docile | Water Absorb
                          Moves: Body Slam, Hypnosis, Rain Dance, Surf

Pokemon FireRed Fighting Monotype – Part 3 - Badges 6 & 7

Spoiler:
                          I decided to do Blaine before Sabrina, as it seemed to make more sense. Blaine was fairly easy with my Poliwrath after all, and I'd rather have more levels before facing Sabrina.

After Blaine, I fought Silph Rival and Giovanni, who I was fairly overleveled against so they gave me little issue. I also have a way to deal with all of Gio's mons, so...

Sabrina herself was not anywhere near as bad I expected. I Mega Kick'd most of her mons to death, then Surfed on her Venomoth. Why does she even have a Venomoth, anyway?

Machoke has unfortunately been downgraded to a support/cheese role. I have nothing better for him to provide for the team.

Team so far:

Primeape ♀ Lv 47 | Lonely | Vital Spirit
                          Moves: Aerial Ace, Dig, Cross Chop, Karate Chop

Machoke ♂ Lv 47 | Sassy | Guts
                          Moves: Focus Punch, Double Team, Seismic Toss, Toxic

Hitmonlee ♂ Lv 47 | Rash | Limber
                          Moves: Mega Kick, High Jump Kick, Brick Break, Rock Slide

Poliwrath ♀ Lv 47 | Docile | Water Absorb
                          Moves: Body Slam, Blizzard, Brick Break, Surf
                            #167   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old 1 Week Ago (12:19 PM).
                          Youngster

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Newfi Cheese View Post
                            Is emulation allowed? Im missing Gen 1 2 and 4. Secondly, anyone have tips for baby's first monotype run. Thanks in advance!
                            Emulation is allowed. You don't need to play Gen 1 though, as you can still use FireRed/LeafGreen if you want. You just need one game from each region.

My tip for babby's first monotype run is wide move type coverage and good stats are both more important than Pokemon type coverage. An example of what I mean is you might think Parasect is a good pick-up in a bug or grass monotype because of its fairly unique typing, when in actuality there usually is better options because its movepool is horrid and its stats are awful aside from its Attack.
                              #168   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old 1 Week Ago (1:39 PM).
                            It's Newfi Cheese!

Quote:
                              Emulation is allowed. You don't need to play Gen 1 though, as you can still use FireRed/LeafGreen if you want. You just need one game from each region.

My tip for babby's first monotype run is wide move type coverage and good stats are both more important than Pokemon type coverage. An example of what I mean is you might think Parasect is a good pick-up in a bug or grass monotype because of its fairly unique typing, when in actuality there usually is better options because its movepool is horrid and its stats are awful aside from its Attack.
                              I don't have FR LG, but with Steel, I'm exempt, right? Doesn't Dragon have to do it with only one mon? Anyway, there's no way to "lose" right? Even if my team composition is garbage and bad moves I can just grind grind grind? Sorry, I've got oodles of questions, other than (mostly failed) nuzlockes challenges are new to me.
                                #169   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old 1 Week Ago (1:51 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
                              Youngster

Quote:
                                I don't have FR LG, but with Steel, I'm exempt, right? Doesn't Dragon have to do it with only one mon? Anyway, there's no way to "lose" right? Even if my team composition is garbage and bad moves I can just grind grind grind? Sorry, I've got oodles of questions, other than (mostly failed) nuzlockes challenges are new to me.
                                Unless you want to restrict yourself in some way, no, there's no way to "lose" by the basic challenge rules. Grinding may test your patience though, it's certainly tested mine at times. *stares at Platinum*

And OP says Steel is exempt from a necessary Kanto game, but I feel that's an odd choice personally, as Kanto is necessary for Dragon type Ultimate even though there's only one Dragon type Pokemon in the game (you just have to use at least 2 of the Dragonite line on your team). OP has been inactive for a long time, so I feel it's something posters in this thread should probably come to a conclusion together somehow about what should be done with regards to that rule. Because to me at least, it makes no sense.
                                  #170   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old 1 Week Ago (2:05 PM).
                                Youngster

Pokemon FireRed Fighting Monotype – Part 4 - Badges 8 and Champion (finale)

Spoiler:
                                  Giovanni was super easy to deal with, as you can imagine. Really nothing of note there other than that instead of doing it the smart way (Poliwrath), I cheesed him with Machoke.

After that, I realised um... Rival kind of owned me. So I did the Sevii Island quest to gain levels. Upon returning, I bought some healing items and headed to fight Rival again, and he was much easier the second time around. I didn't even need to use the healing items.

Victory Road was trivial, but I was honestly a little scared of the Elite Four as my move coverage was frankly awful.

Lorelei was simple enough with fighting type mons, but Agatha was really annoying. Not so much hard, but incredibly irritating.

Bruno was really not a problem at all, and Lance was much easier than I expected. I forgot he only has one Dragonite in FRLG, so I could just punch his Dragonair to death.

Rival. Oh my LORD. This fight must've taken like 10 resets. Not quite as bad as Ruby Bug team vs Steven, but still really hard. Getting his Pidgeotto down before even one of my Pokemon could be knocked out was a downright requirement, and I HAD to PP stall his Alakazam. I had to play the long game against him, unfortunately, but once his Alakazam, Pidgeot and Charizard are down, he's not that bad. Still, it required certain things to allign, and after around the 10th attempt (I lost count), it finally went my way.

FireRed overall was a disappointment. Fighting was... not a great type prior to the physical/special split as it seems, and the lack of movepool variety in all of these Pokemon with the exception of Poliwrath was astonishing. I enjoyed ORAS a lot more.
                                    #171   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                  Old 1 Week Ago (3:08 PM).
                                  Youngster

Pokemon White Fighting Monotype – Introduction

Spoiler:
                                    White Fighting Monotype marks the first occasion of me using a Legendary. With accordance to the rules, I can’t use Keldeo as it’s banned in the Battle Maison… Plus, I have no access to one without cheating, obviously. I can only use ONE of the Battle Maison allowed legendaries, on the other hand. The Legendary I will be using in this playthrough is Cobalion. The simple answer as to why, is that it takes neutral damage to Flying. As great as Verizion is offensively, I have nothing that can be used defensively against Flying types if I take it, and the grass STAB doesn’t provide me with much beyond water coverage, which isn’t too threatening of a type to begin with (the only water type trainer of importance is... Cress). Terrakion is obtained too late. I don’t know my way around Mistralton cave, so that will be fun.

So there’s, discounting the rest of the musketeer trio, 6 other fully evolved fighting types in this game. The one I won’t be using is Sawk, and the simple answer is – because it’s not in White version (unless you count the unreliable 5% rustling grass encounter), and I can’t be bothered catching one and trading one it into my game when there’s already 5 other useable fighting types.

In gen 5, because I have 2 regular DSs, I can trade, making Conkeldurr completely obtainable here. I will also reset if I don’t get a +Atk Tepig, as it will make my life so much harder without one.

So that makes my planned team in this game:
                                    -Emboar
                                    -Throh
                                    -Conkeldurr
                                    -Mienshao
                                    -Scrafty
                                    -Cobalion
                                      #172   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                    Old 1 Week Ago (5:22 PM).

Pokémon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Challenge Finale

My progress:
                                      Spoiler:

Beat round 2 of the Elite Four today, which means that the Kanto part of the run is officially complete. Next up I will tackle Platinum.

- Headed to One Island to start the second part of the Sevii Islands side quest.
                                      - Got the Ruby from Mt. Ember.
                                      - Gave the Ruby to Celio and got the Rainbow Pass in return.
                                      - Headed to Four Island and beat the Team Rocket grunts.
                                      - Traveled to Six Island and made my way to Ruin Valley.
                                      - Entered the Dotted Hole and reached the Sapphire, only to have it be stolen by a scientist.
                                      - Went to Five Island to confront Team Rocket in their warehouse.
                                      - Beat Team Rocket and reclaimed the Sapphire.
                                      - Gave the Sapphire to Celio.
                                      - Went to the Indigo Plateau and entered the Pokémon League.
                                      - Lorelei was significantly tougher this time, since instead of Ice Beam being a 2HKO on my team it's now a 1HKO. However, a lucky crit on Dewgong saved the day.
                                      - Bruno wasn't a problem at all. Steelix went down easily to Surf and the rest didn't like Outrage very much.
                                      - In a way, Agatha was actually less annoying this time around due to the fact that Gengar no longer had Double Team.
                                      - Lance didn't really pose much of a threat. Sure his team could do some serious damage, but so could mine.
                                      - The rival fight went pretty smoothly overall. The only part that was kinda annoying was his Alakazam. Not because he posed much of a threat towards me, but because a Return from Tiki just BARELY failed to OHKO it. Since Alakazam was his second to last pokémon this resulted in him spamming all his remaining Full Restores on it. Thankfully he eventually ran out and I could finish the fight since his last pokémon, Exeggutor, couldn't really do much.

Final team:
                                      Spoiler:

Tiki the Hardy Dragonite Lv. 75
                                      Inner Focus
                                      - Return
                                      - Fly
                                      - Brick Break
                                      - Earthquake

Nowi the Mild Dragonite Lv. 76
                                      Inner Focus
                                      - Outrage
                                      - Ice Beam
                                      - Surf
                                      - Thunderbolt

#173   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                      Old 1 Week Ago (6:11 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by FactoriesFarAway.
                                      FactoriesFarAway FactoriesFarAway is offline
                                      Youngster

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 8 - Cyrus and Badge 8

Spoiler:
                                        After lots of grinding, I can gladly say I'm almost done. Grinding was kind of awkward though, as I used the daily respawning trainers to grind (Pokemon Center and Café ones). I was away from home without my Platinum cart from Saturday-Wednesday meaning I couldn't grind during that time, was busy all day on Thursday, and I fixed my 2DS' clock on Friday which meant I couldn't do any in-game events until the clock rolled over to Saturday. So I hadn't actually played in over a week.

After grinding out my Vespiquen to level 57, I gave it the two Rare Candies I had to get it to 59 before Cyrus. Cyrus was still annoying, as I couldn't X item boost Vespiquen as, if Houndoom crit me, in most cases I was dead. Luckily, Pressure does help with PP Stalling, which is something I admittedly didn't consider. I did instead just yolo it, and got two luckily crits. All of Cyrus' Pokemon are weak to Rock, so I spammed Power Gem except for on his Weavile where I used Attack Order.

By comparison, the Volkner fight was much more forgiving and I didn't struggle with it due to how overleveled Vespiquen was. I'm very thankful to say I only have the Elite Four to do now, but I know for a fact they're going to give me a hard time. Either way, once they're done, my bug monotype is complete. Before I fully put it down, I'm going to revisit Black and HeartGold as there's things I feel I need to finish off before I'm content with fully moving on. To be specific, Alder and Red, respectively.

TEAM SO FAR

Yanmega (Yanmega) ♂ Lv 44 | Hardy | Compoundeyes
                                        Moves: Psychic, Pursuit, Ancient Power, Silver Wind

Beeyonce (Vespiquen) ♀ Lv 60 | Hardy | Pressure @ SilverPowder
                                        Moves: Sludge Bomb, Gust, Attack Order, Power Gem

Wam (Wormadam-T) ♀ Lv 45 | Mild |Anticipation
                                        Moves: Psychic, Flash Cannon, Bug Bite, Metal Sound

Hunee (Mothim) ♂ Lv 44 | Sassy | Swarm
                                        Moves: Psychic, Air Slash, Silver Wind, Poison Powder

Bam (Wormadam-S) ♀ Lv 44 | Mild | Anticipation
                                        Moves: Psychic, Rock Blast, Bug Bite, Captivate

Slam (Wormadam-P) ♀ Lv 44 | Mild | Anticipation
                                        Moves: Psychic, Razor Leaf, Bug Bite, Captivate

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 9 - Elite Four (finale)

Spoiler:
                                        I'm going to admit it - this took absolutely hours of grinding to get to a point where I could reasonably beat Cynthia WITH battle items. It kind of turned into a solo Vespiquen run though, as my Vespi was level 70 and my other team members were in the 50s. Being above level 50 though, they'd all be considered "Elite Four Viable", I just concentrated on the one member who I feel could actually DO something of worth.

I grinded to a point where I could fairly easily beat Aaron and Bertha without using any healing items in battle, and it was that point where I felt like I could continue. After all, I needed items for Flint and Cynthia.

Flint, I just had to stack X items against. He would've utterly owned me otherwise. I spammed X Sp Defs, X Speeds and X Sp Atks on me Vespiquen, to clarify, and each of his Pokemon went down in one hit. It took a couple of attempts to get this strat down perfectly, but I did it in the end.

Lucian was not that bad as I had the advantage. Vespiquen didn't really struggle against him.

Cynthia, once again, I stacked Battle Items on my Vespiquen, as Spiritomb is really easy to set up against, and one shot all of her Pokemon. It was anti-climatic, but without them, she would've taken an unbelievable amount of grinding to beat.

I can say with certainty that I never want to play through Platinum with just bug types again, and I never plan to use Wormadam on a team again again. It was fun to try out at first, but they're just such bad Pokemon and became a clear experience hog. Vespiquen did surprise me in how capable it is, even if it's monstrously slow. I'm write down moves etc of my mons when my 2DS is done charging, but for now, I can say I've officially beat the Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge!

Final Team:

Yanmega (Yanmega) ♂ Lv 51 | Hardy | Compoundeyes
                                        Moves: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Ancient Power, Silver Wind

Beeyonce (Vespiquen) ♀ Lv 71 | Hardy | Pressure @ SilverPowder
                                        Moves: Sludge Bomb, Aerial Ace, Attack Order, Power Gem

Wam (Wormadam-T) ♀ Lv 51 | Mild |Anticipation
                                        Moves: Psychic, Flash Cannon, Iron Head, Metal Sound

Hunee (Mothim) ♂ Lv 51 | Sassy | Swarm
                                        Moves: Psychic, Air Slash, Bug Buzz, Return

Bam (Wormadam-S) ♀ Lv 50 | Mild | Anticipation
                                        Moves: Psychic, Rock Blast, Bug Bite, Earthquake

Slam (Wormadam-P) ♀ Lv 50 | Mild | Anticipation
                                        Moves: Psychic, Razor Leaf, Leaf Storm, Return

Overall opinions and thoughts on the Bug Monotype Challenge

Spoiler:
                                        Overall, the ultimate bug monotype challenge was a fun, unique and at times infuriating experience, but what I really loved about it was getting to use Pokemon I've never used before or had any intention to use, for better or for worse, as I'm the kind of player to get very attached to the Pokemon I use. Once I've done with the few things I feel I need to clear up in HG and Black before I can fully put down this challenge, I'll likely be uploading these mons to Pokemon Bank as a momento. Hopefully they can join me on my adventures in Sword & Shield! As for Monarch, Emperor, and the rest of the mons I used in Ruby and Leaf Green, they can't be transferred due to being on emulator, but I don't want them to be lost to the sands of time, so I've been trying to figure out a solution with getting a GB Flash Cart seeming to be the easiest and cheapest solution unless I can figure out a way to hack Pokemon that are essentially identical to them into one of my games, but it's not really the same.

To end this off, I'm going to say what I believed to be the top 5 most useful in-game, top 5 I've most warmed up to during the course of this challenge, top 5 underrated bug Pokemon and lastly, the 5 that I believe performed the worst. I'm only going to count fully evolved Pokemon, or Pokemon that at least have stats in-line with fully evolved mons such as Scyther.

Top 5 Most Useful Bugs:
                                        1. Crustle - Gotten early, has a really good offensive and defensive typing, and is just generally a beast despite how slow it is.
                                        2. Scizor - Again, its defensive typing is what makes it so good, along with its great offensive stats and ability. Just a shame you have to trade to get it.
                                        3. Heracross - Usually quite awkward to get, but its offensive power and fighting STAB makes it worth it
                                        4. Escavalier - See Scizor, except slower but bulkier and hits harder.
                                        5. Scyther - Is this cheating? It's just a really good Pokemon in the games where you can get it early, and is a good Pokemon in its own right without the need for Scizor.

Top 5 I've most warmed up to
                                        1. Shedinja - Before this, I saw Shedinja as a totally useless gimmick Pokemon, but it beat Steven for me and it straight up walls things that can't do anything against it. Ghost/Bug is such an interesting type, it's a shame Shedinja is so niche
                                        2. Vivillon - It may be a Butterfree clone, but it's not bad for an early Pokemon. Both of its abilities are great, it learns some good moves and it's super cute. It may not hold up late, but it's strong enough to carry you through the first few gyms.
                                        3. Forretress - Again, it's a niche and situational Pokemon, but exploding can be really useful to get rid of things that completely wall you. In fact, if you really wanted to, I guess you could keep reviving it and have it continually explode against the entire team.
                                        4. Volbeat (in gen 3, at least) - Volbeat might actually be one of the best Bug Pokemon before the physical and special split happened, and I slept on him this entire time.
                                        5. Shuckle - No, he's not particularly good, especially not in game. But he's here because he absolutely owned Archer when that fight would've been otherwise unwinnable at that point.

Top 5 Underrated Bug Mons
                                        1. Durant - I don't see many people talking about this mon, but he's an absolute beast, you just get him way super late in every game he's in.
                                        2. Volbeat (prior to gen 4) - See what I said in why I warmed up to it,
                                        3. Venomoth - This Pokemon is stronger than people would like to admit, honestly. It's far better than both Beedrill and Butterfree (and most early game bug mons, for that matter), but would be seen as a much more viable option to people if you just got it earlier in most of the games it appears.
                                        4. Scolipede - Godly speed and great attack, and gets really great as of gen 6.
                                        5. Ribombee - It's a fairly fast fairy type. That's all it needs, really.

Top 5 Least Useful Bugs
                                        1. Ledian - Everything about it is downright awful
                                        2. Wormadam - Just don't bother.
                                        3. Shuckle - I know what I said about him growing on me, but he's still not worth picking up.
                                        4. Beedrill - There's better Pokemon that fulfill his role.
                                        5. Volbeat/Illumise (after gen 3) - Horrible level up movepools and mediocre stats

The only bug Pokemon, not including Legendaries and Ultra Beasts, that I didn't get to use during this challenge were Dustox and Volcarona. I'll try to fit them into another challenge eventually.

Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge Fin! (but to be continued in a bonus post)
                                          #174   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                        Old 1 Week Ago (3:40 PM).
                                        Spirit Shackle Spirit Shackle is offline
                                        Anti-Nonsense

Nature: Modest
                                        Quote:
                                        As Factories said, Steel and Dark monotypes are exempt from Kanto. You can grind as often as you like but that's like boooring.

Quote:
                                        And OP says Steel is exempt from a necessary Kanto game, but I feel that's an odd choice personally, as Kanto is necessary for Dragon type Ultimate even though there's only one Dragon type Pokemon in the game (you just have to use at least 2 of the Dragonite line on your team). OP has been inactive for a long time, so I feel it's something posters in this thread should probably come to a conclusion together somehow about what should be done with regards to that rule. Because to me at least, it makes no sense.
                                        The Dark and Steel being exempt from Kanto thing is a rule carried from the original Monotype Challenge thread. The logic is less that there is only one eligible fully evolved Steel-type in Kanto and more that in the first games to feature the Kanto Region, the Steel-type did not exist. While point exist for and against that rule, I see no reason to remove it to allow players that choice.

But now onto the Important Part Of This Post

INTRODUCING: THE MONOTYPE CHALLENGE HALL OF FAME Spreadsheet Edition

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RD5_qSnZ_L2SxKUwFH9dFi2tysv1EFVBPnc_oYgTulI/edit?usp=sharing

This spreadsheet will eventually contain record of every Monotype Challenge, completed or ongoing, from every rendition of The Monotype Challenge thread. It is sortable and filterable and a lot of other good things that you just can't do with the bottom of a forum post.

It is currently up-to-date as of this posting with this thread's champions and challengers (plus my ult monograss because I'm special), and I intend to update it regularly. Feel free to take a look! Actually please do. It makes me feel better about this whole endeavor.

If I missed anything, or you have some legacy challenges you'd like me to include sooner rather than the next time I get around to copying Necrum/Volga's lists, feel free to send me a PM.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
                                        Challenges - TCG - Daily
                                          #175   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                        Old 1 Week Ago (4:17 PM).
                                        It's Newfi Cheese!

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Spirit Shackle View Post
                                          This spreadsheet will eventually contain record of every Monotype Challenge, completed or ongoing, from every rendition of The Monotype Challenge thread.
                                          Holy guacamole the dedication of some of you guys astounds me! As for the Steel type thing, I'll go for Kanto if I've got it in me, sorta like end game content. I mean 7 games has to take it's toll right? That's a lot!

Quick Reply