ROM Hacks Studio The ROM Hacks Studio — once known as our “Hacks Showcase” — is the best place on the web to find ROM hacks. Browse our curated collection, all made by PokéCommunity members: patch, play, and enjoy!

Ad Content

#26   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old January 29th, 2019 (10:10 AM). Edited January 29th, 2019 by Anthroyd.

Bumping to note that v1.1 was released. It fixes a glitch which blocks the player from passing the guards in Viridan City, after the battle with May.
    *** If you are unable to pass the guards: after patching with v1.1, talk to the fat NPC just above the guards in Viridian City, then try passing them again. ***

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
      #27   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old January 31st, 2019 (12:11 AM).

What do you do when you get teleported to route 10 and go through the power plant? because every time I talk to Darkrai, the screen goes black and I've got to reload my save, or use a walk through walls code to get back to the indigo plateau, what do I have to do to stop that from happening?
        #28   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 31st, 2019 (8:03 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by CommanderCool93 View Post
        What do you do when you get teleported to route 10 and go through the power plant? because every time I talk to Darkrai, the screen goes black and I've got to reload my save, or use a walk through walls code to get back to the indigo plateau, what do I have to do to stop that from happening?
        After talking to Darkrai, your screen should go black for about 5 seconds, then show a cutscene in the Indigo Plateau building. If you wait for a while and no cutscene happens, then there may be a problem with the patch or your .sav file.

If you send me your .sav file, I will poke around and try to solve the issue. Thanks for the report.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
          #29   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old January 31st, 2019 (11:47 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Anthroyd View Post
          After talking to Darkrai, your screen should go black for about 5 seconds, then show a cutscene in the Indigo Plateau building. If you wait for a while and no cutscene happens, then there may be a problem with the patch or your .sav file.

If you send me your .sav file, I will poke around and try to solve the issue. Thanks for the report.
          How will I do that? Email or what?
            #30   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old February 1st, 2019 (9:16 AM).

Nature: Quiet
            [Spoiler Alert]

Hey, so I finally met May and we arrived at the route which leads to Viridian city. I went back to the indigo plateau as she stated and then I ended up back in Silph Sco. Is this the end of the game or am I missing something?

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJvdPIaw_I&t=0s&index=2&list=PLsuvStRRCL-oDnKSJNqADkflisD8ItoOu

This project (4 tracks in total) of mine is dedicated to each one of you waging a war against your Inner demons. You've got this.
              #31   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old February 1st, 2019 (10:58 AM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Inner Rhymes View Post
              [Spoiler Alert]

Hey, so I finally met May and we arrived at the route which leads to Viridian city. I went back to the indigo plateau as she stated and then I ended up back in Silph Sco. Is this the end of the game or am I missing something?
              Not even half way through with the game! That's strange. How did you get warped back to the Silph Co? And I'd be happy to fix the error if you could send me your .sav file so I can see what's going on (Mediafire, etc). Thanks for the report.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                #32   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old February 1st, 2019 (11:00 AM).
              Free supporter

Hey. Congratulations on finishing your ROM hack. Hope this isn't the last we've seen of you :)
                #33   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old February 1st, 2019 (8:09 PM).

Nature: Quiet
                Quote:
                Not even half way through with the game! That's strange. How did you get warped back to the Silph Co? And I'd be happy to fix the error if you could send me your .sav file so I can see what's going on (Mediafire, etc). Thanks for the report.
                I got warped back to Silph co when I spoke to Giovanni at the indigo plateau again.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJvdPIaw_I&t=0s&index=2&list=PLsuvStRRCL-oDnKSJNqADkflisD8ItoOu

This project (4 tracks in total) of mine is dedicated to each one of you waging a war against your Inner demons. You've got this.
                  #34   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old February 1st, 2019 (9:33 PM). Edited February 1st, 2019 by Anthroyd.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Inner Rhymes View Post
                  I got warped back to Silph co when I spoke to Giovanni at the indigo plateau again.
                  Okay, I fixed the warping issue. Giovanni was not supposed to appear for a second time, allowing you open access into Victory Road. It looks like others are having trouble getting a future event to work properly, so I'll be uploading a patch once I can get more info from them. I can't seem to replicate the issue on my side...

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by FBI
                  Hey. Congratulations on finishing your ROM hack. Hope this isn't the last we've seen of you :)

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by CommanderCool93
                  How will I do that? Email or what?
                  Mediafire or some file sharing service like that would work. Sorry for a bit of a delay in response, I've been trying to replicate the problem on my side but it's working perfectly for me.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                    #35   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old February 2nd, 2019 (11:25 AM).

Quote:
                    Okay, I fixed the warping issue. Giovanni was not supposed to appear for a second time, allowing you open access into Victory Road. It looks like others are having trouble getting a future event to work properly, so I'll be uploading a patch once I can get more info from them. I can't seem to replicate the issue on my side...

Mediafire or some file sharing service like that would work. Sorry for a bit of a delay in response, I've been trying to replicate the problem on my side but it's working perfectly for me.
                    I PM'd you with my sav, I hope it'll do
                      #36   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old February 2nd, 2019 (10:00 PM). Edited February 2nd, 2019 by Anthroyd.

Bumping this thread to alert that a new patch is available for those who encountered Giovanni blocking Victory Road a second time, even after the event with May. You should now be able to enter Victory Road. Please let me know if you run into any more issues, the reports are very helpful. :)

There has been a second glitch reported that apparently freezes the game after speaking to Darkrai in the Power Plant. I haven't been able to replicate this on my end, so any more information would be appreciated, and any .sav file that I could look at would be most helpful.

If you were warped to Saffron City for a second time, then you will still be able to get to Cinnabar Island. Unfortunately, you will not be able to escape Cinnabar Island...
                      If you saved after being erroneously warped a second time, then please send me your .sav file and I will place you back in front of Victory Road.
                      If you know how to use Advanced Map and XSE, you may warp yourself there: whatever floats your boat! Sorry for the glitch.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                        #37   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old February 4th, 2019 (9:38 AM).

May I ask if it's possible to get Eevee to evolve to an Umbreon and if so...what's needed for that? The friendship route?
                          #38   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old February 4th, 2019 (10:52 AM).

Quote:
                          Same thing happens to me. I'm stuck in this part
                          When I talk with darkray got black screen and nothing happens after that.
                            #39   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old February 4th, 2019 (3:26 PM). Edited February 4th, 2019 by Anthroyd.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Mika252 View Post
                            May I ask if it's possible to get Eevee to evolve to an Umbreon and if so...what's needed for that? The friendship route?
                            Only Kanto mons are available, so: Flareon, Vaporeon, and Jolteon.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by dppinhal85
                            Same thing happens to me. I'm stuck in this part
                            When I talk with darkray got black screen and nothing happens after that.
                            Still working on that glitch. I can't replicate it on my end, regardless how many times I replay the game.

QUESTION: For those of you experiencing the Darkrai glitch, did you trigger the following event after talking to Dialga and Palkia at Birth Island?

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                              #40   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old February 5th, 2019 (2:17 AM).

Quote:
                              Only Kanto mons are available, so: Flareon, Vaporeon, and Jolteon.

Still working on that glitch. I can't replicate it on my end, regardless how many times I replay the game.

QUESTION: For those of you experiencing the Darkrai glitch, did you trigger the following event after talking to Dialga and Palkia at Birth Island?

I decided to try a new emulator, it must be something wrong with the MyBoy emulator I have
                                #41   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old February 5th, 2019 (8:51 AM).

Quote:
                                I decided to try a new emulator, it must be something wrong with the MyBoy emulator I have
                                Hmm that may be the case. I use VisualBoyAdvance, and I've never tested with any other emulator. I'll try downloading MyBoy and prodding a few scripts to see if I can replicate the issue and fix it.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                  #42   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old February 6th, 2019 (2:03 PM).

Hi there, I ended your game ', the end is very weird and also I encountered a bug before Victory Road because Giovanni didn't move when I tried to reach May and Brendan so I walk-through walls. It' s weird to die at the end. Also there is a bug, your game can sometimes crash when Abra teleports you when you are caught by policemen in the secret laboratory. Sadly I cannot help Palkia to defeat Darkrai and why Aphrodite died?
                                    #43   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                  Old February 6th, 2019 (2:49 PM). Edited February 6th, 2019 by Anthroyd.

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Robinny View Post
                                    Hi there, I ended your game ', the end is very weird and also I encountered a bug before Victory Road because Giovanni didn't move when I tried to reach May and Brendan so I walk-through walls. It' s weird to die at the end. Also there is a bug, your game can sometimes crash when Abra teleports you when you are caught by policemen in the secret laboratory. Sadly I cannot help Palkia to defeat Darkrai and why Aphrodite died?
                                    Hi there. Yes, the bug where Giovanni doesn't disappear has been fixed in the latest v1.2 patch. Thanks for taking that into your own hands, though. :)

Hmm, I haven't heard of the crash in the laboratory. Could you elaborate on what happened? Did the game just freeze after teleporting, or something else? Thanks for the report!

The ending is pretty weird, which is exactly how it's supposed to be! It is a Dreary game after all. With regards to Aphrodite:

Spoiler:
                                    Dreary (the character) implied that he killed her, due to some unknown reason. Her gravestone mentioned being a "traitor," which is the only information you're given. You're totally right to be speculative, since not everything is revealed to you. It may be helpful to keep in mind that Dreary was an extremely authoritarian and oppressive leader, willing to force anything on anybody who stands in the way of him achieving his goal... hence Aphrodite's, the player's and the citizens of Kanto's deaths throughout the story.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                      #44   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                    Old February 6th, 2019 (11:54 PM).

Hey, I'm just done playing the entire game. I really loved the storyline and the concept of the game.
                                      I got a couple of questions though:
                                      1. High Jump Kick has an accuracy of just 10! The move is pretty much useless. Was this super low accuracy intentional?
                                      2. The ending leaves a really good mystery as to what will happen next. So, will there be a sequel to this game anytime in the future?
                                        #45   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                      Old February 7th, 2019 (10:41 AM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by CaptainJax View Post
                                        Hey, I'm just done playing the entire game. I really loved the storyline and the concept of the game.
                                        I got a couple of questions though:
                                        1. High Jump Kick has an accuracy of just 10! The move is pretty much useless. Was this super low accuracy intentional?
                                        2. The ending leaves a really good mystery as to what will happen next. So, will there be a sequel to this game anytime in the future?
                                        Hey, I'm glad you liked it :)

1. I didn't notice that, it will be fixed in the next patch. Thanks so much for the report!
                                        2. That was the goal for how I wanted it to feel. :) It'll either be left to speculation, or pave the way for a sequel, I'm not sure yet.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                          #46   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                        Old February 7th, 2019 (6:23 PM). Edited February 7th, 2019 by Anthroyd.

I've uploaded v1.3 to correct for some bugs and glitches.

NOTICE: v1.3 is supposed to fix the "black screen" glitch after speaking to the Pokémon in the Power Plant.
                                          This glitch seemed to be exclusive to the MyBoy emulator. Since I don't have an Android device, I can't test it.
                                          If you're playing on MyBoy and the glitch IS or IS NOT fixed with v1.3, PLEASE let me know!
                                          If it IS fixed, you will trigger this event:

Spoiler:

MyBoy is acting strange, so any feedback I could get on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                            #47   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                          Old February 8th, 2019 (3:22 PM).
                                          SuguruTheFourth SuguruTheFourth is offline

No offense, but the ending is just...not very good. Hell, I answered "no" when he asked if I wanted to look at the grave and it still forced me into it. It's not that I have an issue with the dark tone of it, but it's just pointless and "realistic" for the sake of it. Unless this is somehow leading up to a sequel that this ending is actually important to, it's a super uninteresting ending. To start with, I had zero interest in Dreary himself at that point since he had literally just been shoved into the storyline. The game basically ended off with Darkrai giving an insanely long exposition dump before Dreary anticlimactically kills the main character.

You want to call it "realistic" and leave it at that? Fine man, I mean it's your game so you can do whatever you want. But in terms of ROM hack endings, the Unknown Tower was honestly one of the most bland I've personally played. I mean come on, at least five levels of grinding for each member of my party, a few battles, more than one massive info dump, a few visually and thematically bland puzzles, and a super low level Mew? It really feels like you could've done more.
                                              #48   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                            Old February 10th, 2019 (8:07 AM).

Hey, I can't get the policeman in front of the first gym to move, so I can't talk to Evan. What do I do?
                                                #49   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                              Old February 10th, 2019 (10:01 AM).

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by SuguruTheFourth View Post
                                                No offense, but the ending is just...not very good. Hell, I answered "no" when he asked if I wanted to look at the grave and it still forced me into it. It's not that I have an issue with the dark tone of it, but it's just pointless and "realistic" for the sake of it. Unless this is somehow leading up to a sequel that this ending is actually important to, it's a super uninteresting ending. To start with, I had zero interest in Dreary himself at that point since he had literally just been shoved into the storyline. The game basically ended off with Darkrai giving an insanely long exposition dump before Dreary anticlimactically kills the main character.

You want to call it "realistic" and leave it at that? Fine man, I mean it's your game so you can do whatever you want. But in terms of ROM hack endings, the Unknown Tower was honestly one of the most bland I've personally played. I mean come on, at least five levels of grinding for each member of my party, a few battles, more than one massive info dump, a few visually and thematically bland puzzles, and a super low level Mew? It really feels like you could've done more.
                                                Fair enough! Yep, the ending is totally a fullstop on the momentum, however the primary point was to show how authoritarian and driven Dreary was as a person. Typically in Pokemon games, you're able to discourage villains just by beating them in a battle. Although, if you're confronting a literal tyrant who's passion is killing people for the sake of realizing his dreams, it wouldn't make much sense to dismantle their plans based on "who's got the better mons." You mentioned creating this ending simply for being "realistic," and yeah that was pretty much the case! xD After all, the point of the game was just to showcase a short series of daydreams that I had a while back for some reason. I also tried to weave the ending text so that it was open to a sequel in the future, if that would ever happen. :)

Hmm I haven't heard those comments on Unknown Tower yet. I didn't feel the need to grind that much in the Tower (maybe 3-4 levels overall), so I'll keep that in mind. The Mew was Aphrodite's mon, and is a little underleveled in order to compensate for fighting the team of five beforehand without being able to heal. Do you think it would be better to adjust that final battle?

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by tyrone2538
                                                Hey, I can't get the policeman in front of the first gym to move, so I can't talk to Evan. What do I do?
                                                Hey, the policeman will move once you've talked to your Rival on Route 1.

Pokémon Dreary

Discord
                                                  #50   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                                Old February 11th, 2019 (12:58 PM).
                                                SuguruTheFourth SuguruTheFourth is offline

Quote:
                                                  Fair enough! Yep, the ending is totally a fullstop on the momentum, however the primary point was to show how authoritarian and driven Dreary was as a person. Typically in Pokemon games, you're able to discourage villains just by beating them in a battle. Although, if you're confronting a literal tyrant who's passion is killing people for the sake of realizing his dreams, it wouldn't make much sense to dismantle their plans based on "who's got the better mons." You mentioned creating this ending simply for being "realistic," and yeah that was pretty much the case! xD After all, the point of the game was just to showcase a short series of daydreams that I had a while back for some reason. I also tried to weave the ending text so that it was open to a sequel in the future, if that would ever happen. :)

Hmm I haven't heard those comments on Unknown Tower yet. I didn't feel the need to grind that much in the Tower (maybe 3-4 levels overall), so I'll keep that in mind. The Mew was Aphrodite's mon, and is a little underleveled in order to compensate for fighting the team of five beforehand without being able to heal. Do you think it would be better to adjust that final battle?
                                                  Thanks for the fast reply! I suppose I can understand what you wanted to do with Dreary, but I think he could be greatly improved simply with more build up for him. To me he was suddenly inserted into the end. It didn't feel shocking/surprising when it was revealed that Darkrai wasn't the one in charge, mainly because it was just told to me by an admin. Sure I hadn't guessed it before, but the reveal didn't cause a reaction of any sort. Maybe if he got a name drop or appearance earlier it could help. It's harder to do with a shorter game like this, but I think it could happen.

I do agree that it shouldn't simply end by "My mons are better than yours" as usual, although that could be rationalized as well since even one enemy Pokemon left could present a massive threat to an unarmed human(?) like Dreary. If the main character knocks all of the bad guy's Pokemon unconscious but still has mons left themselves, it's not like the bad guy could really fight back anymore against monsters probably capable of killing him in a flash.

The main issue is that at this point the main character has a team of mons that are probably fully evolved, and they just get killed suddenly because I guess they were too stupid and turned their back to him? If a "who's got the better mons" ending is disappointing, then the main character suddenly getting offed by some guy is just as bad.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the game. For something with such a small runtime, I was genuinely intrigued by it all, and I especially liked the start. However unfortunately I felt that near the end, the quality started to dip considerably.

As for the Unknown Tower:

I hate to say it, but yeah, it was pretty dull. I think the grinding could be improved if there were simply more trainers to fight along the way, not just a few grunts on the bottom floor and a few small boss fights back to back. One thing that I value in a Pokemon game/ROM hack is when grinding your main mons is pretty much not a factor. The challenges and trainers along the way should be enough to get me almost there without being over leveled, rather than fighting the same grindable npc over and over again or running through grass for 30 minutes to an hour. New mons that I have to get on par with everyone else is different, but I don't think I should really need to put too much grind time into my earliest mons if I've been appropriately dividing up battle time against trainers.

Hell, put more content in before the final area that gets you up to that level range if you need to.

I know you've already said that this isn't exactly supposed to be the most visually impressive game out there, but this is supposed to be THE final boss stronghold, and yet it pretty much amounts to a lone simple tower without much innovative design to it. The first floor is basic with a few grunts to fight, a nurse, and a grunt meant for repetitive grinding. The rest are the exact same floor repeated a bunch, a big empty room with an elevator, and a pretty much pitch black room. (There's also the research lab but I forgot about that pretty much as soon as I was out since i wasn't really allowed to explore at all.)

Since this game doesn't have anything like the elite four/champion to end off the game, the usual spectacle of the main games is your ending. Spectacles like Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza at the end of gen 3, Spear Pillar and the Distortion World from gen 4, N's Castle from gen 5, etc.

Obviously you don't have some massive production team behind you like gamefreak, but when the final boss stronghold is comparatively unimpressive compared to areas we've already been like the Silph building, it's an issue. I left there feeling underwhelmed, and that's pretty much it. I'd suggest a bigger building with more trainers, a lot more area variation, and more physical puzzles rather than just choosing numbers until you get it. I don't think anyone would mind you taking the time to make it impressive and interesting, because it would improve the quality many times over.

The Final Battle:

I don't think there was too much of an issue with the final team itself, but when you send out a level 25(?) Mew as the last thing the player ever battles in the game, it just feels kinda lame. Any tension or feeling of challenge gets washed away by that. I understand not wanting to make it too hard, but I think most people got out of the Darkrai fight in a good enough condition to fight a decently high level Mew. Maybe not on level with their team, but at least enough to prevent me from two-shotting it with ease.

The Exposition Dumps:

As an aspiring writer, I get how hard it is to tell a lot of story with limited chances while still keeping everything interesting, and that's even harder for you since you can basically only communicate it through dialogue text boxes. But the thing that killed every shred of my enthusiasm about the game was the seemingly endless streams of text boxes after text boxes telling me an in-depth explanation of the backstory of everything. I found myself holding down the speedup button as hard as I possibly could just to get through all of it faster, and I legitimately even skipped some of it because I just couldn't take it.

Since you really have limited options in the ways you can tell the story, I would suggest trying to spread it out more throughout the game instead of trying to shove it down the throat of the player at the very end. Don't be afraid to introduce bits and pieces of it all earlier, I assure you it won't drag anything down. I think that could greatly improve the actual interest and hype for the end.

Sorry about the pretty massive reply, I guess I had more to say than I thought.

Quick Reply