Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old January 25th, 2019 (10:18 AM). Edited 2 Days Ago by Syntthetix.
Porygon Programmer

Nature: Quiet
WELCOME TO ALFHEIM ONLINE!

Disclaimer
This challenge was originally created by galladetitan, but the challenge expired on Jan. 24, so I decided to revive it with the approval of the mods. Thanks a lot to galladetitan for coming up with this, I think it's an awesome concept as I'm a huge fan of the Sword Art Online anime/games.

BACKSTORY
After Argus went bankrupt due to the Sword Art Online incident, it's servers and data were taken by RECT Progress, Inc. and was used to create the VRMMORPG "Alfheim Online". Now, Alfheim Online is having a tie-in with Pokemon! The Pokemon you choose will be related to your chosen race. Hurry and join the event!

RULES
1. As a player of ALO, you must choose one of the 9 races of Alfheim:

The Cait Sith, the agile feline warriors that take advantage of their speed and enhanced vision to dash around their opponents at close range or snipe accurately from afar.

The Gnomes, buff, tanky, and always ready to fight on the front lines to protect their allies. While very slow and meant purely for close range, they boast huge HP bars and high defense stats.

The Imps, masters of the night who take advantage of their amazing night vision to use the darkness as their home battlefield.

The Leprechauns, a race of expert blacksmiths who make use of different man-made mechanisms to assist them in combat.

The Pooka, the amazing musicians of Alfheim, make use of their songs to attack enemies or support their allies.

The Salamanders, expert fighters and perhaps the race with the most pride embedded in its culture. They use fire based spells as well as pure strength to overpower their opponents in combat.

The Spriggans, experts of illusion magic and detection abilities, confuse their opponents with their illusions and seek out treasure better than any other race.

The Sylph, who are known to be the fastest race, especially in the air, make use of wind magic for minor support as well as great offense.

The Undine, true masters of healing and buffing magic, are the greatest swimmers in Alfheim and guaranteed to keep their allies fighting in a pinch.

To find out what race you are, take this test: https://www.quotev.com/quiz/6396573/What-ALfheim-Online-fairy-race-would-you-play-as
Which race you are will determine the constraints of your playthrough, which is where the real challenge comes in.

Spoiler:
Race-based constraints:

Cait Sith
Allowed types: Normal, Grass

Constraints:
Cats: At least one Pokemon on your team must be a feline.
Ally with Sylph: You are allowed to have ONE Pokemon that follows any of the Sylph's constraints.
(Optional) Sniper: Every Pokemon on your team MUST have at least one special attack move. Cait Sith don't have excellent accuracy for nothing.
(Optional) Feline speed: Every Pokemon that can learn the move Agility, either by level-up or TM, must learn the move and keep it forever.

Gnome
Allowed types: Ground, rock

Constraints:
Mining: At least one Pokemon on your team must learn Dig or Bulldozer and keep it forever.
Tank player: All of your Pokemon must have a Defense-increasing move, such as Withdraw or Defense Curl. If a move increases multiple stats including Defense, that is also allowed.
Mining buddies: As soon as a Diglett OR Drilbur is available, one must be caught and kept on your team at all times.

Imp
Allowed types: Poison, bug

Constraints:
Bat wings: If there is an available flying-type Pokemon with wings, it must be in the party at all times, regardless of it's type.
Dark magic: All Pokemon on your team must learn a dark type move, either by level-up or TM, and keep it forever.
(Optional) Poison maniac: In every battle, you must begin by attempting to poison your opponent. Each time a new opponent Pokemon is sent out, you must attempt to poison them as well. (This does not apply if the opponent is immune to poison or if a poisoning move is out of PP)

Leprechaun
Allowed types: Steel, fighting

Constraints:
Blacksmith: At least two Pokemon on your team must look like weapons. This can be a sword, hammer, spear, bow, rod, etc.
Tools: Two of your Pokemon must learn a hammer-based move, such as Wood Hammer or Ice Hammer.
Sword crafting expert: If playing in X or Y, a Honedge must be caught and, eventually, evolved all the way to Aegislash, and it must remain on the team at all times.

Pooka
Allowed types: Psychic, Fairy

Constraints:
Musical: At least TWO Pokemon on your team must learn the move Sing and keep it forever. Sing must be used at least once in every Gym and Elite Four battle.
Performance containment: When a Pokemon reaches level 30, it has to learn the move Bide, either by level-up or TM, and keep it forever.
(Optional) Bard friends: You must catch a Jigglypuff as soon as one is available and keep it on your team at all times. Evolution is allowed.

Salamander
Allowed types: Fire, Dragon

Constraints:
War with Sylphs: Cannot have any electric type Pokemon on your team.
Strongest race: The first Pokemon in your team must be a MAX of three levels above the gym leader's/Elite Four member's strongest Pokemon.
Brute force: At least one Pokemon on your team must learn the move Strength by HM and keep it forever (No move deletion).

Spriggan
Allowed types: Dark, Ghost

Constraints:
Illusion Magic: At least one Pokemon on your team must learn the move Confusion or another confusion-inflicting move, either by level-up or TM, and keep it forever.
Transform: If a Zorua or Zoroark can be caught in your game pre-Elite Four, it must be on your team at all times.
(Optional) Transformation master: Catch a Ditto as soon as one is available and keep it on your team at all times.

Sylph
Allowed types: Electric, Flying

Constraints:
War with Salamanders: Cannot have any fire or dragon type Pokemon on your team.
Ally with Cait Sith: You are allowed to have ONE Pokemon that follows any of the Cait Sith's constraints.
Flight agility: At least two Pokemon on your team must learn the move Aerial Ace, either by level-up or TM, and keep it forever.
(Optional) Master of flight: Every flying type Pokemon on your team must learn Fly by HM (TM in Gen 7) and keep it forever.

Undine
Allowed types: Water, Ice

Constraints:
Support magic: At least one Pokemon on your team must learn a healing move, either by level-up or TM, such as Aqua Ring, and keep it forever.
Underwater combat: At least one Pokemon on your team must have the ability Water Absorb, such as Vaporeon. (Evolving a Pokemon to obtain this ability is allowed)
(Optional) Icy assault: At least one Pokemon on your team must learn the move Ice Beam, either by level-up or TM, and keep it forever.

2. Legendary Pokemon are not allowed for the challenge.
3. At least one Pokemon on your team must learn the move Fly by HM (TM in Gen 7), regardless of the Pokemon's type.
4. All Pokemon on your team MUST meet the type requirements in their race. If you get Undine and you have a Starmie, which is a water/psychic type, that is still allowed since it meets the water or ice type requirement for an Undine.
5. No more than TWO Pokemon may be imported/traded/hacked into the game. When added, they must be the same level as the lowest level Pokemon on your team.
6. HM Slaves are allowed as long as they never fight.
7. When posting updates on your adventure, the basic format is:
Team: Pokemon 1, Pokemon 2, etc.
Gym badges earned: [number earned]
[Game activity between badges]
More information than this may be posted, so you are free to make your updates as in-depth as you'd like. If you only want to post the most basic information, go ahead. If you want to create a whole narrative of your adventure, that is perfectly fine as well.
8. The game ends and the challenge is completed when the credits roll.

Spoiler:
PC Username:
In-game Name:
Race determined by quiz:
Game:

My sign up:
PC Username: Syntthetix
In-game Name: Syn
Race determined by quiz: Cait Sith
Game: Alpha Sapphire

Challengers
Spoiler:
Syntthetix
IGN: Syn
Race: Cait Sith
Game: Alpha Sapphire
Badges: 4 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge, Dynamo Badge, Heat Badge)

LuluRina
IGN: Lulu
Race: Imp
Game: Black
Badges: 2 (Trio Badge, Basic Badge)

tommyeatsdonuts
IGN: Tommy
Race: Spriggan
Game: Y
Badges: 0

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Nobody yet!

Feel free to leave feedback in a PM/VM for the challenge if there are races that seem too difficult to use compared to the others, or if anything else could be tweaked. I want to make this challenge as fun and fair as possible :)
  #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old January 25th, 2019 (1:41 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Approved! I like what you did with the formatting of the main post.

Have fun!
  #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old January 28th, 2019 (9:32 PM). Edited January 28th, 2019 by Syntthetix.
Porygon Programmer

Well here's update #1 for my run:

Team:
Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 16
Lotad - Lvl 12
Litleo - Lvl 12
Aerodactyl - Lvl 12

Badges earned: 1 (Stone Badge)

I chose Treecko as my starter since it was allowed under my grass/normal type requirements. I caught a Lotad for the same reason, and a Ludicolo could definitely be useful in the long run. Aerodactyl was hacked in at level 12 (the level of my Lotad at the time) and is allowed under my Allies with Sylph constraint, due to the Sylph's electric/flying type requirements. Finally, Litleo (fire/normal type, hacked in at level 12) would be great to have, especially since it evolves into Pyroar, and having a fire type would be extremely helpful.

As this was my first badge, I only had the standard early-game grind really going on leading up to it. I didn't worry much about leveling up my Lotad until I got the Exp. Share from the scientist in Petalburg Woods, at which point it was far easier to pull up closer to my Grovyle. The fight against Roxanne ended up being super easy with my Treecko (surprisingly, I didn't evolve it before the gym), who could just use Mega Drain on repeat. One badge down, seven to go.

GTXVI Egg Swap Winner

3DS FC: 4743-0212-8273
Switch FC: 1125-1684-1427
  #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old January 30th, 2019 (1:39 AM).
Dragon Princess

PC Username: LuluRina
    In-game Name: Lulu
    Race determined by quiz: Imp
      #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old January 30th, 2019 (11:56 AM).
    Porygon Programmer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuluRina View Post
    PC Username: LuluRina
    In-game Name: Lulu
    Race determined by quiz: Imp
    Good to see my first challenger showing up :) Imp seems like a pretty interesting race to play through this challenge with, especially in a more difficult game like Black, so good luck on your playthrough. Also, welcome to Poke Community!

GTXVI Egg Swap Winner

#6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old January 30th, 2019 (2:43 PM).
    Banned

I can't challenge you :D :D :D :D :D
        #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 30th, 2019 (7:37 PM).
      Porygon Programmer

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Pokeyoki View Post
      I can't challenge you :D :D :D :D :D
      lol what do you mean?

GTXVI Egg Swap Winner

#8   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 30th, 2019 (11:14 PM). Edited January 30th, 2019 by Syntthetix.
      Porygon Programmer

Time for update #2:

Team:
      Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 19
      Lombre - Lvl 15
      Litleo - Lvl 16
      Aerodactyl - Lvl 15
      Skitty - Lvl 12
      Shroomish - Lvl 11

Badges earned: 2 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge)

After beating Roxanne, I headed over towards Rusturf Tunnel to get Peeko back from the Team Aqua Grunt that was hiding out in there. As per usual, he went down easily and I was free to continue on to Devon Corp. to talk to Mr. Stone. In the process of fighting the trainers along the way, my Lotad evolved into Lombre. Finally, my party members are becoming powerful enough to be useful.

Before that, I hit Route 116 to find myself a Skitty, fulfilling my one feline party member requirement. After that, I backtracked to Petalburg Woods and searched around for that 10% Shroomish, which is allowed as a Cait Sith since it's a grass type. With those two captured, I finally have my complete team that will be used for the entire rest of the playthrough.

With all that out of the way, I headed over to Devon Corp and talked to Mr. Stone to receive my PokeNav upgrade and get the instructions to head to Dewford Island, followed by Slateport City. Naturally, I headed over to Mr. Briney's house and had him sail me over to Dewford.

Going through Brawly's gym was... underwhelming, to say the least. Aerodactyl already had Wing Attack, and these were a bunch of fighting type trainers, soooo... you can see how easily all those fights ended, including the fight with Brawly himself.

That puts me at two badges obtained, and six more to go.
        #9   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old January 31st, 2019 (7:58 AM). Edited February 7th, 2019 by LuluRina.
      Dragon Princess

And update 1!

Team:
        Dween the Dwebble
        Level 14
        Timid/Sturdy
        Fury Cutter/Rock Blast/Faint Attack/Sand-Attack

Betty the Zubat
        Level 10
        Rash/Inner Focus
        Leech Life/Supersonic/Astonish

Badges earned: 1(Trio Badge)

I choose Tepig as my starter and beat my rivals easily. Then I imported a Crustle and a Zubat into the game, both level 6, because from what I've seen I can't get a Poison or Bug type until Pinwheel Forest, which is in between the second and third gym.
        Mum gave us town maps. Not gonna use them much tbh.
        I "learned" about catching Pokemon and the Pokecenter, as if I didn't know what those were -_-
        Team Plasma had their speech, then I battled N, which was really easy with Dween.
        Mum caught up to me and gave me running shoes. Now THOSE I'll actually use.
        The battle against Bianca was... also easy. Oh well, Dween is a hard rock :)
        Now CHEREN! Cheren is a hard smart boi. I had to train a lot before being able to beat him.
        And then the Gym... which was easier then Cheren, mainly because I out-sped and didn't miss Fury Cutter much
          #10   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old February 7th, 2019 (3:33 AM).
        Dragon Princess

Update no. 2 -

Team:
          Dween the Dwebble
          Level 21
          Timid/Sturdy
          Fury Cutter/Smack Down/Faint Attack/Cut

Betty the Zubat
          Level 20
          Rash/Inner Focus
          Leech Life/Wing Attack/Astonish/Bite

Badges earned: 2(Trio Badge, Basic Badge)

Fennel dragged me to her house and gave me Cut, which I promptly taught to Dween.
          I went to the Dreamyard and beat up some Plasma grunts who were beating up a Musharna, then the Musharna's mummy came along :)
          Fennel went and grabbed the dream mist, and I was promptly on my way... after getting something else that is utterly useless.
          I went to continue my journey, when Cheren showed up... he was a bit hard, but overall not bad.
          Then I beat up Team Plasma again for stealing a young girls pokemon.
          I went to the gym when I ran into N again... and he was wrecked.
          The gym was troubling at first, but with a bit of training, was beaten.
            #11   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old February 12th, 2019 (1:55 PM).
          Porygon Programmer

Took a while to get more done since I've been busy with Smash Ultimate and Apex, but here's update #3:

Team:
          Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 26
          Lombre - Lvl 22
          Litleo - Lvl 26
          Aerodactyl - Lvl 23
          Skitty - Lvl 21
          Shroomish - Lvl 21

Badges earned: 3 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge, Dynamo Badge)

After obtaining the badge from Brawly's gym last time, I proceeded to Dewford Cave and delivered the letter to Steven. With that out of the way, I went back to Mr. Briney and sailed over to Slateport City. I used Slateport's beach as an opportunity to farm a bit of exp from the trainers in that area, then continued into the city.

Next, I went on to the museum in Slateport to deliver the package from Mr. Stone. Obviously, dealing with the Team Aqua grunts that came to intercept wasn't even remotely difficult, so I just got some free exp off of them.

Next, I headed north to Route 110 and defeated May without too much difficulty since I had a decent variety of attacks at my disposal. With May's battle complete, I finally made it to Mauville City. Wally's Ralts went down in two hits, so I was now free to challenge Watson's Gym.

This time around, things got more difficult. I made it through the gym trainers with some difficulty due to a lack of super effective moves, but I thought I still might have a chance at defeating Watson... I was very wrong. Not a single one of his Pokemon went down, so I had no choice but to soft reset to avoid losing money, before going through Route 117 and defeating trainers along the way to farm a few more levels. Eventually my Litleo learned Fire Fang, and suddenly I had an easy way to beat Watson's Magnemite and Magneton. I went back to the gym, and I had the battle finished with about 7 or 8 attacks. Finally, I got the Dynamo Badge and Volt Switch from Watson.

That's three down, five to go.

GTXVI Egg Swap Winner

#12   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 3 Days Ago (12:03 PM).
          Porygon Programmer

My god I need to get less Pokemon projects on my plate. Only been a month... Anyway, Update #5:

Team:
          Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 31
          Lombre - Lvl 30
          Litleo - Lvl 33
          Aerodactyl - Lvl 29
          Skitty - Lvl 27
          Breloom - Lvl 26

Badges earned: 4 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge, Dynamo Badge, Heat Badge)

After beating Watson, I went to Route 111 then Route 112 to work towards Fallarbor Town. As usual, I worked through all the trainers on those two routes, and I eventually evolved my Shroomish into a Breloom.

Once I arrived in Fallarbor Town, I learned about the disappearance of the town's scientist, prompting me to head over to Meteor Falls and destroy Team Aqua's typical grunts. Team Magma appeared and gave us information about Team Aqua's plans to go to Mt. Chimney, so that's where I headed next.

Going through Mt. Chimney was just the usual Team Aqua scene. I beat a couple grunts and then was allowed to fight Archie, who went down pretty easily with my particular combination of Pokemon.

With all the Team Aqua scenes out of the way, I could finally head down to Lavaridge Town. At this point I went into the gym and (because I've played through these games so many times) I reached Flannery in the platform maze within a couple minutes. Using Lotad and Aerodactyl, I was able to shred through her fire type Pokemon pretty quickly, awarding me with the Heat Badge.

That's 4 down, 4 to go.

GTXVI Egg Swap Winner

#13   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 2 Days Ago (8:14 PM).
          Proffesional Donut Eater

Nature: Lonely
            PC Username: tommyeatsdonuts
            In-game Name: Tommy
            Race determined by quiz: Spriggan

V excited
              #14   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 2 Days Ago (5:47 AM).
            Porygon Programmer

Quote:
            Originally Posted by tommyeatsdonuts View Post
            PC Username: tommyeatsdonuts
            In-game Name: Tommy
            Race determined by quiz: Spriggan

V excited
            Got you added :) Hope you enjoy the challenge

GTXVI Egg Swap Winner

#15   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 3 Hours Ago (9:26 AM).
            Proffesional Donut Eater

Nature: Lonely
              Yo yo yo

Update #1

Team
              Spoiler:

Pall Lynx the Frogadier
              LVL 29

Vokrein the Pancham
              LVL 26

Bedogo the Golett
              LVL 25

Plot
              Spoiler:
              Got Froakie cuz it's the only choice I got.
              Glided through the first gym and the proffesor's bit with the Kanto Pokemon. It didn't matter which I chose cuz none of them fall under my constraints.
              Got Pancham in Route 5. Gonna be awhile till they evolve.
              FFFLLLUUUTTTEEE/snorlax.
              Did that cave scene with Team Flare.
              Before the second gym I got my Golett, making it the first ghost type of the run.
              Pancham and Frogadier defeated the rock gym with ease.
              On my way to my next catch in Reflection Cave.

Gym Badges: Bug Badge and CLiff Badge

Quick Reply