Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Ad Content

#26   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:39 PM).

I'm late but:

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/26/698345376/house-passes-resolution-to-block-trumps-national-emergency-declaration
Quote:
The Democratic-led House approved by a 245-182 vote a resolution on Tuesday that would terminate President Trump's declaration of a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border — a declaration he made to allow him to access funds to build a wall without congressional consent.

Only 13 Republicans joined Democrats to oppose the president, signaling that Congress will not ultimately have the veto-proof margin required to override Trump.

The resolution now heads to the Senate.
  #27   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:00 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
    That seems kind of useless, like the Republican Congress passing numerous Obamacare repeals while obama was in office. The Senate does not have the votes to overturn a veto, so it really doesn’t matter if it is passed or not.
      #28   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:51 AM).
    Slifer Stacker

Here, try thinking like a lawyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDVl793v8k
      #29   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:37 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by EnglishALT.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Maedar View Post
      Here, try thinking like a lawyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDVl793v8k
      Quite telling that Legal Eagle, who leans left somewhat in his more political videos ( His Kavanaugh hearing video solely focusing on Justice Kavanaugh and not also looking at the testimony of Dr Ford for example ) even admits that both sides have points that can be made and it's a toss up. Alot of this can probably be considered a "political question" by the courts, in that if Congress thinks the funding should be pulled they should pass a bill doing so. As for the question regarding the need of a wall to deter illegal immigration, and making it an emergency issue....

"It's the second time in as many weeks that such a group has been encountered at Sunland Park. In mid-February, 311 people made their way around a pedestrian fence under the cover of darkness before being taking into custody. That was less than 24 hours after another group of 330 people were apprehended more than 150 miles (240 kilometers) to the west near the Antelope Wells port of entry.

More than two dozen large groups of 100 migrants or more have been apprehended in the region since Oct. 1, according to border officials."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-mexico/articles/2019-02-27/group-of-180-migrants-arrested-at-new-mexico-border
        #30   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:44 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Maedar.
      Slifer Stacker

Still, illegal crossings remain at an all-time low, something you keep trying to deny while screaming about nonexistent "caravans" and "invasion armies" coming to invade homes and kidnap women. It's starting to get tedious to the point of ridiculous. Your own article proves that this large group was apprehended without the need of any such wall.

The fact remains, ALT, Trump has declared a National Emergency for something that he has admitted is NOT an emergency, and that is, for him and the Republican Party as a whole, a Morton's Fork.

He loses in court, and his flagship campaign promise will be gone.

He wins in court and the next President - and let's be honest given Trump's abysmal record and approval ratings will likely be a Democrat after he loses reelection - will be able to declare a National Emergency for anything. Outlaw and confiscate assault rifles, make DACA applicants full citizens, abolish Citizens United, every single thing the Republican Party opposes, and will do so without opposition from Congress.

Not to mention tearing down whatever part of the wall Trump manages to build.

Trump has, in effect, made a terrible mistake. And he refuses to learn.
        #31   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:52 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by EnglishALT.

Quote:
        Still, illegal crossings remain at an all-time low, something you keep trying to deny while screaming about nonexistent "caravans" and "invasion armies" coming to invade homes and kidnap women. It's starting to get tedious to the point of ridiculous.
        "There were nearly 467,000 apprehensions at the U.S.-Mexico border in 2018, the most for any calendar year since at least 2012, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of the most recent available data from U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The increase was driven in part by a dramatic spike in border apprehensions of family members at the end of last year."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/01/16/border-apprehensions-of-migrant-families-have-risen-substantially-so-far-in-2018/

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/15/illegal-immigration-border-back-obama-levels/

Quote:
        The fact remains, ALT, Trump has declared a National Emergency for something that he has admitted is NOT an emergency, and that is, for him and the Republican Party as a whole, a Morton's Fork.
        Did he say it wasn't a national emergency, or did he say "I could do the wall over a longer period of time, I do not need to do this, but I would rather do it much faster."?

Quote:
        How so?

Quote:
        He wins in court and the next President - and let's be honest given Trump's abysmal record and approval ratings will likely be a Democrat after he loses reelection - will be able to declare a National Emergency for anything. Outlaw and confiscate assault rifles, make DACA applicants full citizens, abolish Citizens United, every single thing the Republican Party opposes, and will do so without opposition from Congress.
        No, not really, especially confiscate assault rifles as those at the moment would be covered by the Second Amendment. All Trump is doing is moving unspent money from one thing to another, the powers are broad but not unlimited.

Quote:
        Not to mention tearing down whatever part of the wall Trump manages to build.
        For a party that already is desperately trying not to look weak on border security, THAT would make them look really weak.
          #32   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:58 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Maedar.
        Slifer Stacker

ALT, just how do you define "emergency"?

Did you even view the video I posted?

Trump admits "I do not need to do this", and IMOHO, that is an admission that it is not an emergency.
          #33   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:01 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by EnglishALT.

Quote:
          ALT, just how do you define "emergency"?

Did you even read the video I posted?
          I didn't "read" it, I watched it, I am a subscriber to Legal Eagle's channel, as for the definition of National Emergency, that by law pretty much goes with what ever the President decides, however the power is not unlimited and allows him to become a dictator, there are limits.

Quote:
          Trump admits "I do not need to do this", and IMOHO, that is an admission that it is not an emergency.
          Well see that is going to be up to interpretation by the court, as the argument can clearly also go with him saying "I do not need to do this" in that he can go through Congress to get the funds, however because he views it as an emergency, he does not want to go through the long process to get the funds, as the emergency is currently harming the country.
            #34   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:08 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by LDSman.

I would point out that just because illegal crossings may be lower now, that doesn’t mean they won’t climb back up later.

Edit: and low is an opinion anyway. Is hundreds of thousands low?
              #35   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:35 AM).
            Slifer Stacker

Quote:
            ...as the emergency is currently harming the country.
            How so?

I certainly don't see the gangs of MS-13 thugs kidnapping and invading homes that he insists is there
              #36   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:55 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by EnglishALT.

Quote:
              How so?

I certainly don't see the gangs of MS-13 thugs kidnapping and invading homes that he insists is there
              Might not want to tell that to New York cops

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/02/27/ms-13-members-planning-to-target-long-island-cops-nypd/amp/

That being said he can and probably will make the case that between the drug epidemic, and atleast 500,000 illegally crossing the border in 2018, that there is an emergency need for a wall.
                #37   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:52 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Maedar
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by EnglishALT
              How so?
              If the federal courts strike down his declaration of a national emergency, then there is no longer a declared national emergency (or at least this particular one anyway), yes? If there isn't, then he can't make use of the emergency powers act to acquire funds for the wall via means other than Congress. And as the past few months have shown, Congress (or a large enough part of it at least) is not willing to give him the funding for his wall and that obviously hasn't changed. And then in that scenario, he has no means to get the money for his wall, and so it won't be built.

Unless there is some other way for him to get funding for the wall that doesn't involve either Congress or a national emergency.
                #38   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:01 PM).
              Slifer Stacker

I should also point out, ALT, that as their Wikipedia page clearly shows, MS-13 was founded in Los Angeles.

Much like the Bloods and the Crips, but strangely, Trump doesn't seem to care about other gangs known for violence. He just singles out the ones that Hispanics join.

God forbid he'd show such animosity to the Klan. Who have been around far longer and committed far more murders. But he claims those are "fine people".
                #39   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:10 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by EnglishALT.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Nah View Post
                If the federal courts strike down his declaration of a national emergency, then there is no longer a declared national emergency (or at least this particular one anyway), yes? If there isn't, then he can't make use of the emergency powers act to acquire funds for the wall via means other than Congress. And as the past few months have shown, Congress (or a large enough part of it at least) is not willing to give him the funding for his wall and that obviously hasn't changed. And then in that scenario, he has no means to get the money for his wall, and so it won't be built.

Unless there is some other way for him to get funding for the wall that doesn't involve either Congress or a national emergency.
                He has received a billion dollars for the wall with the latest budget which I believe adds 50 miles to it, as such he could claim victory and say he built a wall on the Mexico border. However I have a feeling one campaign slogan for 2020 will be “Finish the wall”

Quote:
                I should also point out, ALT, that as their Wikipedia page clearly shows, MS-13 was founded in Los Angeles.

Much like the Bloods and the Crips, but strangely, Trump doesn't seem to care about other gangs known for violence. He just singles out the ones that Hispanics join.

God forbid he'd show such animosity to the Klan. Who have been around far longer and committed far more murders. But he claims those are "fine people".
                Okay... what does that have to do with the border, or Trump’s emergency declaration. You know the topic of this discussion?
                  #40   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:14 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Maedar.
                Slifer Stacker

Quote:
                He has received a billion dollars for the wall with the latest budget which I believe adds 50 miles to it, as such he could claim victory and say he built a wall on the Mexico border. However I have a feeling one campaign slogan for 2020 will be “Finish the wall”
                Assuming he even runs.

Most pundits have now declared the Republican Party deceased.

Quote:
                Okay... what does that have to do with the border, or Trump’s emergency declaration. You know the topic of this discussion?
                Because I am trying to explain to you that Trump's need for a wall is an obsession born out of his bigotry and egotism. He hates Hispanics, and wants to wall off Mexico. THAT is why I honestly believe he wants the wall. The "invasion" only exists in his sick mind.

Trump claims there's some invasion army of MS-13 punks, which is completely fabricated. Much like everything he says. There is, again, NO emergency.
                  #41   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:20 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by EnglishALT.

Quote:
                  Assuming he even runs.

Most pundits have now declared the Republican Party deceased.
                  For a party that has control of a majority of state legislatures, state governors, the Senate, and the Presidency, as well as elected a majority of Supreme Court justices. It is doing pretty well for a “deceased” party. However it is pretty certain he will run, the Republican Party has already joined together with his re-election campaign, and has made moves to make it harder for challengers to emerge.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Maedar
                  Because Trump claims there's some invasion army of MS-13 punks, which is completely fabricated. Much like everything he says. There is, again, NO emergency.
                  Citation please.
                    #42   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:29 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Maedar.
                  Slifer Stacker

Quote:
                  For a party that has control of a majority of state legislatures, state governors, the Senate, and the Presidency, as well as elected a majority of Supreme Court justices. It is doing pretty well for a “deceased” party. However it is pretty certain he will run, the Republican Party has already joined together with his re-election campaign, and has made moves to make it harder for challengers to emerge.
                  It has become the Toadying Party of Trump, and 2020 will see its utter destruction.

Quote:
                  Citation please
                  https://nypost.com/2019/01/11/trump-claims-theres-an-invasion-at-us-border/

https://www.argusobserver.com/opinion/doing-justice-to-trump-s-invasion-claim/article_083c2894-f5ba-11e8-a14e-6babdee4dbc9.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/trump-invasion-border-crisis-1097589
                    #43   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:34 PM).

Quote:
                    It has become the Toadying Party of Trump, and 2020 will see its utter destruction.
                    Sure

None of those say there is an invasion of “MS-13 punks” or even “MS-13” so again I ask citation please.
                      #44   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:37 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Maedar.
                    Slifer Stacker

I gave you the citations, ALT, so read them.

I've given you link after link showing why the wall will never work, why it will never be built, and proof of Trump's true motives, but you keep going round and round.
                      #45   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:43 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by EnglishALT.

Quote:
                      I gave you the citations, ALT, so read them.

I've given you link after link showing why the wall will never work, why it will never be built, and proof of Trump's true motives, but you keep going round and round.
                      Yes you provided links to Trump talking about the caravans, however I do not see anything mentioning MS-13 in any of your links. Consider you said and I quote:

“Because Trump claims there's some invasion army of MS-13 punks, which is completely fabricated. Much like everything he says. There is, again, NO emergency”

I am looking for the citation for your claim that Trump has said there is an invasion army of MS-13, thus the need of a national emergency. None of your links suggest an invasion army of MS-13.

Now there were/are MS-13 members in the caravan, if you want to talk about that we can.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/mexico-deports-ms-13-gang-members-found-in-caravan-near-texas-border%3f_amp=true
                        #46   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 2 Weeks Ago (4:21 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by EnglishALT View Post
                      I doubt that 50-something miles of fencing in place of 200-300 miles of concrete/steel tall walls is what he or his core support base will call a real victory
                        #47   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:10 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by EnglishALT.

I don't want to double post however the latest information does back up Trump's claim that the border is at a breaking point and thus an emergency.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by WSJ
                        Arrests of families crossing into the U.S. illegally in the past five months hit a record, prompting the chief of Customs and Border Protection to say the system is at “the breaking point.”

From October through February, border agents arrested 136,150 people traveling in families for crossing the border illegally. The prior record for a 12-month period was 107,212, during the fiscal year that ended in September.

More than 66,400 people were arrested in February, making it the busiest month since President Trump took office and the busiest February since 2008.

The numbers were the sharpest evidence yet that, despite Mr. Trump’s efforts to crack down on illegal immigration, the flow of migrants is only growing.

“This situation is not sustainable,” Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan said while releasing the numbers Tuesday. “The system is well beyond capacity and remains at the breaking point.”
                        https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-migrant-families-arrested-at-border-in-five-months-than-any-previous-full-year-11551810657
                          #48   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:28 AM).

Just to provide the actual data on border apprehensions (from Customs and Border Protection itself) since apparently the Wall Street Journal requires you to sign in to read 99% of an article and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't directly link to the statistics anyway:

Total border apprehensions, 2000-2018: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/bp-total-monthly-apps-sector-area-fy2018.pdf

Total apprehended minors, 2010-2018: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/bp-total-monthly-uacs-sector-fy2010-fy2018.pdf

Total family unit apprehensions, 2013-2018: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/bp-total-monthly-family-units-sector-fy13-fy18.pdf
                          #49   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old 1 Week Ago (11:44 AM).

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/03/10/in-budget-trump-to-ask-congress-for-dollar86-billion-for-border-wall/23688993/

Quote:
                        President Donald Trump on Monday will ask the U.S. Congress for an additional $8.6 billion to help pay for the wall he promised to build on the southern border with Mexico to combat illegal immigration and drug trafficking, officials familiar with his 2020 budget request told Reuters.
                        I'm not sure I understand why he's apparently planning to try to ask Congress again for wall funding when a) everybody knows they won't give it to him and b) he declared a national emergency to bypass them in the first place
                          #50   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old 1 Week Ago (11:57 AM).
                        Slifer Stacker

And he also wants more to fund his "space force".

Quick Reply